• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forbes crowns Beyoncé winner, Lady Gaga loser of 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fey

Banned
Music Industry Losers 2013: Lady Gaga, Rock, iTunes Store

9766409e78756a5a51632a472652d2f0_14393.jpg

Lady Gaga

This was supposed to be the year of Gaga—the time when the Queen Monster regained her throne after a self-imposed quiet period. Instead, Miley Cyrus twerked her way into the spotlight this summer, Lorde dominated the airwaves this fall, and Beyoncé shocked the world as much any superstar could with her surprise album earlier this month.

Gaga’s highly-anticipated album, however, got lukewarm reviews from many critics even though it was actually not that bad. Worse yet, it failed to generate anywhere near the buzz of the aforementioned trio. For an artist who’s all about buzz, that’s a problem. From a business perspective, so is her recent split with tech-savvy manager Troy Carter.

Still, Gaga is one of the top-earning acts in the world and has millions of incredibly loyal fans. Even if some don’t care for ARTPOP, she has built a fairly extensive catalogue of hits to go with her considerable talents as a performer—and shouldn’t have trouble filling up arenas when she hits the road this spring. That could make 2014 quite a lot better for her than 2013.

Music Industry Winners 2013: Beyonce, Streaming, Rap DJs

0cvg5kscd43gt_14371.jpg

Beyoncé

As discussed in my previous post, 2013 was supposed to be the Year of Gaga. It wasn’t. Instead, three other pop divas stole the spotlight—first Miley Cyrus, then Lorde, and, most boldly of all, Beyoncé.

That’s not to discredit the cleverness of Cyrus and her team in hijacking the VMAs, not to mention the national discourse on popular music. And it’s no knock on Lorde, who came from nowhere (rather, New Zealand) to deliver music that seems to have made people truly excited about, well, music.

But the surprise launch of Beyoncé’s self-titled album is perhaps most revolutionary not for what it did, but for what it didn’t do. Mrs. Carter is one of the biggest pop stars on the planet, signed to one of its more storied labels. Yet she didn’t make use of any of the perks of such an arrangement—the “machine” we’re told is so necessary. There was no radio promotion, no single, no advance press of any kind.

“The fact that nearly 900,000 customers were willing to pay full price to buy this album is testament to the passionate dedication of Beyoncé’s legions of fans,” one veteran entertainment attorney told me. “Most artists have to pre-sell or hype albums by giving away singles on various websites, or streaming the album.”

The result: an opening week total that was more than Gaga’s and Katy Perry’s, combined. Is her success replicable? Probably not. Would it have worked for someone else? Perhaps five or ten other stars. And it’s worth noting that the album, only available as an iTunes download for its first week, was pirated extensively. But having the gumption to take such a risk? That’s what it takes to run the world.

Full article for the losers, which also includes itunes and rock music and full article for winners, which also includes streaming and hip hop producing DJs.

I saw this and thought Beysus made the thread lol.

But I got to disagree. I don't think Gaga lost, I think Britney did. However I think Gaga overestimated herself and it cost her. She was slightly misunderstood and it ruined her entire vision. Her album was still good. Still one of my best of 2013 and with that, I still think that's an accomplishment

Jesus, this guy's opinion on modern rock could not seem more pretentious.

Remember the 1990s? Rock was still dominating the charts, thanks to acts like Nirvana and Pearl Jam and the Stone Temple Pilots. Even the poppy rock acts like Everclear and Third Eye Blind that rose to prominence later in the decade couldn’t have been mistaken for representatives of another genre.

I'm sorry, but Fall Out Boy, Arcade Fire, Imagine Dragons, Mumford & Sons, and The Lumineers and others all had a solid year. Just because you don't like the current definition of "rock" doesn't mean the entire genre's dead

Ryaaan14

Banned
Yeah Artpop is the shit and I'll be surprised if I ever get bored enough to give the Bey album a good listen through. I just can't get behind her music. Halo was a great song tho.

Fey

Banned
Yeah Artpop is the shit and I'll be surprised if I ever get bored enough to give the Bey album a good listen through. I just can't get behind her music. Halo was a great song tho.

You should try it out. I don't really like Beyonce's music either, but I was pleasantly surprised by her album.

Polari

But I got to disagree. I don't think Gaga lost, I think Britney did. However I think Gaga overestimated herself and it cost her. She was slightly misunderstood and it ruined her entire vision. Her album was still good. Still one of my best of 2013 and with that, I still think that's an accomplishment

She was a big loser in the sense that her star seems to be fading though.

Also Forbes continues to suck at journalism, woop woop.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Beyonce dominated, this is undeniable even to someone who doesn't follow music all that closely.

I really liked Gaga's album and i don't like pop music or whatever you want to call modern music that gets played on the radio

DiscoJer

I read an article a month or so ago about how all the people who were essentially responsible for making her image quit. Her stylist and a couple others.

agrajag

Banned
It's weird. I generally dislike pop music, but whenever I listen to mainstream radio, Gaga's songs are ones of few I like. Maybe it is because the songs have a lot of melody, or because she can actually sing. I don't know.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
I'm as rich as piss.

Artpop is something like recreating the greek sense of aesthetic using synthesizers.

Who the F is Lorde?

A new 17-year-old indie pop sensation from New Zealand. Her hit song Royals SLAYED the charts staying #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 for two months and has recently received 4 Grammy Nominations (including Song and Record of the Year). Her excellent debut album Pure Heroine went gold and received very favorable reviews from music critics. In other words, the LORDE and Savior of pop is here.

big.gif

That section on rock music explains why there are so many bitter old people on youtube complaining that there's no good rock anymore, cause it just doesn't come up in these pop charts to be fed down their gullets so it feed their confirmation bias.

Jesus, this guy's opinion on modern rock could not seem more pretentious.

I'm sorry, but Fall Out Boy, Arcade Fire, Imagine Dragons, Mumford & Sons, and The Lumineers and others all had a solid year. Just because you don't like the current definition of "rock" doesn't mean the entire genre's dead

I'm totally out of the loop if that's the kind of rock music that sells.

I wish Kinski, Young Knives, Chelsea Light Moving, God Is An Astronaut, Tomahawk, Savages, QOTSA, Haken, Iceage, or Clutch were super popular but hey I'm not in marketing so it's not my job to make these rock acts popular. Just enjoy what you're into, recommend to others, search for new stuff, get the word of mouth out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom