• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forget upgrading your GPU for better graphics, try upgrading your TV instead

OZ9000

Banned
So I typically play my PC games on a 1080p LCD panel. I also have an LG OLED in the living room - which I seldom use for gaming.

Nevertheless, I hooked my PC up to the LG and the difference in visuals is staggering. Spiderman - which is essentially an upscaled PS4 game - looked breathtaking. Conversely the visuals looked so dull and flat on my LCD monitor. I also always felt Doom Eternal looked quite average looking on my PC monitor, but it looked utterly insane on the OLED.

For both games, the image had a real sense of depth, visual effects/particles/colours had a notable 'pop' and playing games was so much more enjoyable and immersive.

The difference in graphics between the two display sets was day and night. Both Spiderman and Doom Eternal looked significantly better on the OLED. I know many of you are disappointed that most games look crossgen but it was clear to me that having a high quality TV set can offset the limited visual improvement we've seen in games today.

Truthfully I yearn for an OLED as my PC monitor however the prospect of burn in scares the pants out of me as I spend the vast majority of PC usage with Firefox + Microsoft Word (static elements). But the sweet, sweet picture quality is so alluring...

Last edited:

Kuranghi

Bro this is 2022, I don't know if you know it, but today we have fast response time IPS panels supporting g sync with high fps.

sick i love lucy GIF

VA or OLED or gtfo, don't care if its 1000hz, if its IPS with no/shit local dimming then its like playing with winter tights over your eyes.

Also, "fast responsive time panels"? A C2 OLED (or most LG OLED panel'd TVs) are around 0.2ms for the 80% GtG PRT and <3ms for 100%.

Last edited:

playXray

One issue is the cost - £300 to £500 for a decent GPU vs £1,000 - £2,000 for a decent OLED.

I do agree though, and not just for games. Upgrading to an OLED was one of the best (and most expensive!) purchases I have ever made.

OZ9000

Banned
sick i love lucy GIF

VA or OLED or gtfo, don't care if its 1000hz, if its IPS with no/shit local dimming then its like playing with winter tights over your eyes.
PC monitors always look shit to me. Awful colours, contrast, black levels and HDR. The matte finish doesn't help either.

Great if you're a PrO e-SpOrTz G4m3r but I want maximum visual fidelity and immersion.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
PC monitors always look shit to me. Awful colours, contrast, black levels and HDR. The matte finish doesn't help either.

Great if you're a PrO e-SpOrTz G4m3r but I want maximum visual fidelity and immersion.

Nothing beats good quality TV's. Skipped monitors since 2007 and never looked back. Well, I was on 4K only since 2015 which back then some websites were looking a bit funny so had to push down to 1080p until Windows 10.

Kuranghi

PC monitors always look shit to me. Awful colours, contrast, black levels and HDR. And the worst offender? Matt screen finish.

Yeah I can appreciate higher refresh rates and fast PRT being a massive benefit over a smeary TV panel with regards to motion, but once I went to a VA panel TV with amazing local dimming I can't go back to a monitor unless its giving a similar contrast/dimming performance. I don't care if its 480hz if it looks flat and grey then I don't care, I like looking at stuff in games a lot, the camera isn't really moving when I'm doing that so motion resolution is irrelevant.

Kuranghi

I know a lot of people don't agree and thats ok with me but OLED doesn't get bright enough for true HDR (FOR ME, ITS MY OPINION)

Harrison Ford Shrug GIF by Star Wars

I think the benefits of OLED tech is enough to overcome that weakness overall, for films anyway. 2022 OLEDs go to 1000 nits as well so its getting better. I say this is as a ZD9 owner, which is simply fantastic looking in 99.9% of scenes and has that level of brightness and pop for bright scenes/large bright areas an OLED can't get close to.

That Rings of Power show looked insanely great on my ZD9, even better on the OLED.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I think the benefits of OLED tech is enough to overcome that weakness overall, for films anyway. 2022 OLEDs go to 1000 nits as well so its getting better. I say this is as a ZD9 owner, which is simply fantastic looking in 99.9% of scenes and has that level of brightness and pop for bright scenes/large bright areas an OLED can't get close to.

That Rings of Power show looked insanely great on my ZD9, even better on the OLED.
I would personally love to see the QD OLED monitors as those seem to have the best of both worlds.

OLEDs look amazing but for me I just have way too much natural light coming in to enjoy an OLED

Plus I just way prefer most of my gaming on a monitor though I will play some games on the TV like the next GOW will be on my TV

Terrible rec. OLED TV's are 4K res and anything below 4K on them looks like shit, so without upgrading your GPU as well you won't get good perf making your gaming experience worse. The best res is still 2560x1440 or WQHD imo. Latest IPS screens are all VRR capable and looks great and any mid range card will run games great at that res.

Kuranghi

I would personally love to see the QD OLED monitors as those seem to have the best of both worlds.

OLEDs look amazing but for me I just have way too much natural light coming in to enjoy an OLED

Plus I just way prefer most of my gaming on a monitor though I will play some games on the TV like the next GOW will be on my TV

Not seen the monitors, and I haven't even seen the Sony A95K QD-OLED yet, but the Samsung S95B QD-OLED has insane-o colour saturation in HDR, I had the same clip running SBS on a C2, A84J and the S95B and the difference in the saturation of the gems in this video was very noticeable:

At 35 seconds the coloured gems were just so stunning and its already superb on the LG panel OLEDs.

Kuranghi

Terrible rec. OLED TV's are 4K res and anything below 4K on them looks like shit, so without upgrading your GPU as well you won't get good perf making your gaming experience worse. The best res is still 2560x1440 or WQHD imo. Latest IPS screens are all VRR capable and looks great and any mid range card will run games great at that res.

Sure its not as good as native because its being upscaled, but saying its "shit" is silly. You can't really compare an edge-lit IPS to an OLED, the difference in contrast is around 30x when we aren't talking about black vs. anything above black.

OZ9000

Banned
1440p on an OLED looks miles better than on any PC monitor.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Nothing beats good quality TV's. Skipped monitors since 2007 and never looked back. Well, I was on 4K only since 2015 which back then some websites were looking a bit funny so had to push down to 1080p until Windows 10.
You could bump up the dpi, tho. Text would be rendered better.
(pardon the Czech)

Iba08uL.png

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
100% you should get the biggest, best monitor you can fit on your desk if you’re a PC gamer and you care about visuals.

I got a LG C1 48”, it’s actually mounted to a free-standing TV stand behind my desk so the display is right at the back edge of my desk.

It’s magnificent. It’s a crime to get a high end PC just to play on some dinky ass 24” monitor.

32” 4K is the smallest you should be willing to tolerate. The bigger the better.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Not seen the monitors, and I haven't even seen the Sony A95K QD-OLED yet, but the Samsung S95B QD-OLED has insane-o colour saturation in HDR, I had the same clip running SBS on a C2, A84J and the S95B and the difference in the saturation of the gems in this video was very noticeable:

At 35 seconds the coloured gems were just so stunning and its already superb on the LG panel OLEDs.

Is QD oleds a lot better then current LG OLEDS?

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Pro IPS posts in 2022.....thats just sad

The monitor manufacturers and the bought and paid for reviewers/youtubers have brainwashed a generation of gamers

"Buy our cheapo IPS GLOWIE washed out monitors that look like flaming dogshit because 240hz and 0.2ms gamer bro"

High end VA or OLED! hell you can get a CHEAP VA TV that shits on most IPS monitors

sendit

Also make sure to turn motion smoothing up to the max setting, it makes all games 60fps even if your PC can't handle it!
I hope you're joking. Smooth motion adds an insane amount of input lag to the point the game becomes unplayable. Please don't turn this on when playing games.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I hope you're joking. Smooth motion adds an insane amount of input lag to the point the game becomes unplayable. Please don't turn this on when playing games.
A while back someone posted a thread telling us all about this trick to get 60 FPS in every game. It was filled with OP doubling down on his recommendation while the rest of us mocked him mercilessly.

thuGG_pl

Not true. TVs actually have a very good upscaling. I played Elden Ring in 1440p on LG C1 without any problems and was quite surprised how well the TV upscalled it.

GHG

Not really. In fact Neo QLEDS in SDR mode are brighter than LG's OLEDs in HDR mode in or out of Game Mode.

If neo QLEDs are better in that regard then fair enough, but standard QLED's are definitely not. The IQ and brightness get butchered in game mode on those.

bitbydeath

QLED panels are significantly dimmer in game mode.
Can’t say I’ve experienced that, Elden Ring can get dark at times when going underground but it’s still significantly lit up to see everything around you. My TV is recent though so your issues could be HDR related?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yeah, Ive been PC gaming on TVs since 2011 and the IQ is just phenomenal. I did switch to a 165 Hz panel that was curved with a relatively big 32 inch screen and even HDR support but my goodness, the IQ drop was insane. It's like the colors just went away on vacation.

Bought a 120 fps tv and havent looked back. The monitor died a few months later which is basically my experience with gaming monitors going back 2 decades. All three have died within a couple of years.

Kuranghi

QLED panels are significantly dimmer in game mode.

I get if you're talking about Samsung's 2021+ Neo QLEDs but generally "QLEDs", ie wide colour gamut LCD panels with a QDEF as its QD solution, can be just as good in game mode in all ways. I think it's miniLED panels needing more software processing (ie added lag) to keep up with fast movement and game mode has to lose all that so it becomes bloomy as fuck in dark scenes and laggy for fast movement and them making the TVs so thin in some way affects the backlight and requires more image processing.

All the Sony FALDs are around 3 inches thick and most all dont have these problems. Plus the input lag is slightly higher so there's still some extra processing happening possibly.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Can’t say I’ve experienced that, Elden Ring can get dark at times when going underground but it’s still significantly lit up to see everything around you. My TV is recent though so your issues could be HDR related?
I have a Quantum Dot tv that has a 1400+ nit brightness and in game mode it is still really bright. The lack of brightness is what turns me on on the oled route. HDR with a tv that can display it properly is a sight to behold while the HDR really pops.

gypsygib

I have a 27" 1440p 144/165 Hz Gsync IPS released in 2015 and an LG C2, in SDR the OLED doesn't look THAT much better. Granted, the monitor is calibrated perfectly and the OLED only calibrated for white balance but it's only really in HDR that the OLED looks significantly better.

The OLED definitely has more pop but the IPS has a quality like you're looking at a picture. Maybe if the OLED was calibrated it would blow the IPS out of the water in everything, or perhaps the OLED is over clamping the SRD color space. Not sure. I think OLED crushes blacks a bit though and the colors aren't as vibrant unless I set it to exceed the sRGB.

lukilladog

Too pricey and too big for desktop use, also 4k needs a high end card. Not gonna pay a little fortune for a flat panel until they achieve crt like 60hz smoothness.

Top Bottom