• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Former Square Enix exec on why Final Fantasy sales don’t meet expectations and chances of recouping insane AAA budgets

OuterLimits

I’ve been saying this for some time. It’s definitely a generationunal thing. Most gen X and younger have much shorter attention spans so the idea of them playing a 20+ hour AAA game let alone a 60 hour RPG…. Let alone a turn based JRPG….. that is probably even longer…just ain’t their thing.

It is largely later year Gen X(1975-1980) and Millennials born in the 1980s/early 90s keeping FF alive at this point. Things are going to get really bad for Square in a decade or so if they don't have an influx of younger players. Eventually we truly will get a "Final Fantasy" if this trend continues.

proandrad

This isn’t as simple as just go multi platform. Cost of making game have exploded. If FF7 rebirth was made in the same size of FF7 remake it probably would have been extremely profitable. Devs need to start making games within boundaries again. Take the metal gear series for example the hardware limitations of ps1/ps2 caused Kojima to build a smaller game that worked well within that system. These smaller games sold great for their cost and were profitable. Then we get mgs5, free of most technical limitations, had insane cost of development and yielded a lesser game.

OuterLimits

You know more than I do. I tried many jobs since 2006. I would say 11 different jobs on my resume.

I applied for so many places that it was hard to get a job. I had to take what they had.

Here are some of my jobs

2006 sea world $5.95 an hour
2008 movie theater $6.50
2014 home depot $8
2022 $12
2023 $14

The most I have ever gotten is $14 an hour and that is on the high side in my city.

It was unaffordable when apartment rent was close to $2000 at most places around.

if they set the minimum federal wage to $20 it would help alot of people.

If I worked full time at say $14 . I'd get around 2k a month. Apartment rent is $1700 so I'm supposed to live off of $300?

That is why wages are messed up.

The federal minimum wage should definitely go up a bit( to $9 or $10 dollars) because it hasn't done so in 15 years I believe. However, going from $7.25 to $20 would create disaster in a number of states. I believe even the most generous states are usually in the $15 to $17 range while most are in the $7.25 to $12 range.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
their numbers say that people have been infected by the GaaS virus; mindless time sinkers that have hijacked an entire industry.
The first thought was making and selling great games... now they are all chasing that single one cash cow that the mindless gaas zombies can consume forever.. and stay in the maximum profit minimum effort zone.

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
The federal minimum wage should definitely go up a bit( to $9 or $10 dollars) because it hasn't done so in 15 years I believe. However, going from $7.25 to $20 would create disaster in a number of states. I believe even the most generous states are usually in the $15 to $17 range while most are in the $7.25 to $12 range.
They already raised it to $20 for all California fast food workers. Aside from upset mcdonalds managers. I don't see a disaster.

If they won't do that then lower apartment rent to affordable prices.

What is a disaster is people not being afford a place to live and food to eat. Something already being done at current wages. Starvation and homelessness is at an all time high.

Millions of pharmacists get $75+ an hour. Where is the disasters?

Millions of families live paycheck to paycheck and can't afford basic necessities like housing and health care

Last edited:

OuterLimits

They already raised it to $20 for all California fast food workers. Aside from upset mcdonalds managers. I don't see a disaster.

If they won't do that then lower apartment rent to affordable prices.

What is a disaster is people not being afford a place to live and food to eat. Something already being done at current wages. Starvation and homelessness is at an all time high.

Millions of pharmacists get $75+ an hour. Where is the disasters?

Millions of families live paycheck to paycheck and can't afford basic necessities like housing and health care

Not sure why pharmacists are being brought up here. They went to school to acquire a skill that those giving you a burger at a drive-thru don't have.

Yes, sudden massive increase from 7.25 to $20 in minimum wage for what are supposed to be entry level jobs would create disasters in many states. (Particularly poorer ones). Many small retail businesses would either have to jack up prices at an insane level or reduce staff significantly. Would greatly hasten AI doing those entry level jobs at fast food places I assume though.

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
Not sure why pharmacists are being brought up here. They went to school to acquire a skill that those giving you a burger at a drive-thru don't have.

Yes, sudden massive increase from 7.25 to $20 in minimum wage for what are supposed to be entry level jobs would create disasters in many states. (Particularly poorer ones). Many small retail businesses would either have to jack up prices at an insane level or reduce staff significantly. Would greatly hasten AI doing those entry level jobs at fast food places I assume though.
So what is your solution to the millions of Americans who can't afford basic necessities ?

Last edited:
They have most likely already started moving 75% of their projects towards Switch 2 development, including FF7R and Dragon Quest 12

Oh for sure. The thing is that up to now, the PS5 has sold very well. The install base should not be a problem.

Part 1 sold poorly on PC and Part 2 won't even do anywhere close to Part 1 if they bother. Getting it to work on PS4 would be a lot of work, so really the only other viable platform is Switch 2.

I don't think Part 3 will end up being cancelled, but only because of the asset reuse.

Last edited:
Did he ever talk about the money Sony is paying for the game to be exclusive? I would assume that helps lower the overall development cost as well?

Gambit2483

Oh for sure. The thing is that up to now, the PS5 has sold very well. The install base should not be a problem.

Part 1 sold poorly on PC and Part 2 won't even do anywhere close to Part 1 if they bother. Getting it to work on PS4 would be a lot of work, so really the only other viable platform is Switch 2.

I don't think Part 3 will end up being cancelled, but only because of the asset reuse.
Something tells me Nintendo has already made sure it will be powerful enough to run some games that are releasing on PS5 (albeit with compromises of course). Especially Japanese based games that aren't exactly pushing the graphical boundaries like ATLUS games.

BigBeauford

Gold Member
The answer for FF's woes is simple (IMO):
post FFVIII, the series lost a huge chunk of its audience because all of the games became far too anime replete with annoying writing and tropes. There is simply a large contingent of gamers who aren't going to play anything anime period.

Dundar

post FFVIII, the series lost a huge chunk of its audience because all of the games became far too anime replete with annoying writing and tropes. There is simply a large contingent of gamers who aren't going to play anything anime period.
That's not it. Persona, Tales of, anime-like aesthetics do sell. The fact is that FF is an hybrid of high fidelity ($$$$) with anime aesthetics, pleasing fans but not really enlarging it user base. It's selling marginally better than a Tales of while costing 3-4 times as much. Square thought VII was the evergreen and it is, but it is 30 years too late and even marketing was totally pandering OG fans ("look! the 3d brawler from the coliseum!"). The idea for a 3 part remake is a dream for fans (and even then....) but a logistic nightmare for a development-marketing pov. Too many bets are not paying off in the end. Part 3 will be developed and they're probably hoping to have the trilogy be a long seller but that's pretty much it for FF Remakes imho.
And XVII..... wooo boy, wouldn't want to be in the producer shoes this time. Basically the lifeline for SP Final Fantasies it depending on it.

FStubbs

The people who "aren't going to play anything anime period" were likely never playing FF to begin with because it was definitely seen as an "anime game". They were playing wRPGs.

Angry_Megalodon

Gold Member

Quite the opposite. And it's the same mistake made by Square execs.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
What a completely stupid and false thing to say:

“Navok noted that if a game costs $100 million to make over five years, it has to beat what the company could have returned investing a similar amount in the stock market over the same period. “For the 5 years prior to Feb 2024, the stock market averaged a rate of return of 14.5%. Investing that $100m in the stock market would net you a return of $201m, so this is our ROI baseline,” he explained.”

This is my NUMBER ONE issue with his thesis. Why the hell does a game need to outperform the stock market in order to get funding and be seen as a success? The stock market's potential between now and 2029 is unknowable. What if there's a global crash in the markets over the next 5 years? Will games only need to make an annualized 5% ROI per year?

If this is how they are determining if something is worth making or not VIDEO GAMES ARE DOOMED!!!!

Xyphie

Why the hell does a game need to outperform the stock market in order to get funding and be seen as a success?

Higher risk.

The stock market's potential between now and 2029 is unknowable. What if there's a global crash in the markets over the next 5 years?

So is any given game's performance, yet any investment decision captures this by projecting future cash flows and applying discount rates to them.

mckmas8808

Higher risk.

So is any given game's performance, yet any investment decision captures this by projecting future cash flows and applying discount rates to them.

Which is silly to me and why so many young people under 30 are starting to turn on "capitalism". Is this what late-stage capitalism means? Because it sure is super stupid. Applying this logic to a billionaire group buying a sports team would be equally STUPID! So freaking dumb that maybe we humans need to nuke ourselves to death and have a start over period.

What billionaire or group of investors would want to buy a sports franchise and then immediately say it needs to make 14.5% annualized profits a year or it was a failure?

Xyphie

Applying this logic to a billionaire group buying a sports team would be equally STUPID! So freaking dumb that maybe we humans need to nuke ourselves to death and have a start over period.

What billionaire or group of investors would want to buy a sports franchise and then immediately say it needs to make 14.5% annualized profits a year or it was a failure?

Sports teams have outsized returns and thus people invest in them. Just like people will invest in video games if they outperform other asset classes on a risk-adjusted basis.

Compounded-Annual-Growth-Rates.jpg

Last edited:
I'll help you out SE and any other big publisher:

1- Build internal teams, full time resources, pay them a fair wage and give bonus tied to game performance. No or very minimal outside contractors. Don't organize your team literally on the most expensive cities in the world. If you must have the core management there, fine, but hire people in different locations where 1/3 of a current San Francisco salary is a pretty damn good one.
2- Investing half your budget on advertisement is a fucking trap. Cut that shit to 1/3 absolutely tops. Target enthusiast websites and forums. Word of mouth will do the rest. No billboards, ever. No tv, no half-time commercials, none of that shit.
3- Price the digital copies cheaper than physical. If you want to keep $70, do that for physical, make digital at least a good 15/20% cheaper
4- Build with sequels in mind. If your game does well, you want to re-use as many of the assets as possible, just expand on the story and add some elements. If original game takes 4 years to make, a sequel should take half that time and half the number of people.
5- Use non-proprietary engines. Thankfully a lesson more and more publishers are learning nowadays. You need to have an engine that is easily supportable and you can find talent to hire easily in any location.
6- Invest in your people managers. Shit managers should be replaced. When you wanna know if a manager is shit, just ask his/ her team. With good management people will be happy to go above and beyond and not clock out as soon as it hits 5pm.

Take this for free Square, if you want more hit me up on linkedin :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Gallard

Novak: "...platforms will generally get a recoup on any funds spent on exclusivity meaning until they are paid back, they will keep that cash..."

An interesting point that Novak brings up and what I think many people don't know is that moneyhats ARE recouped. They're not just free money for Square Enix on top of whatever the game earns.

Say Sony offers Square Enix $200m to keep FF7 exclusive to Playstation. Sony then takes 100% of all revenue generated from FF7's game's sales UNTIL Sony gets back their initial $200m. After which, earnings are distributed as normal.

Another example was Epic's lauded publishing deal. See one of the terms, which reads : "...Once costs are recouped, developers earn at least 50% of all profits."

Lastly, I'll add my own experience as an indie developer. I took a minimum guarantee up front of from my publisher and agreed to a 50/50 split of the proceeds. I didn't realize minimum guarantee would be recouped (since it was my first release). It sucked balls learning that I'd get nothing from game sales for a while. In my case, the publisher recouped 2x the minimum guarantee amount - their logic was that our split was 50/50. So since I had received $X, they started at -$X. Therefore, they had to earn $2X before earnings could be distributed. Felt like double-dipping to me.

Recoupment is standard industry practice. So, another way to look at them is that they're "money that you'd have earned anyway, but you get it a bit earlier". In that lens, there's absolutely no motivation to take an exclusivity deal - going multiplatform earns you MUCH more money. The only reason you'd take it is if you think the game is going to bomb, and you'd have more money from the money hat.

mckmas8808

Sports teams have outsized returns and thus people invest in them. Just like people will invest in video games if they outperform other asset classes on a risk-adjusted basis.

Compounded-Annual-Growth-Rates.jpg

Take a look at your chart again. The NHL, NFL, NBA, and MLB did not outperform the S&P 500 from 1991 - 2000. Those 10 years were a BUST! So what happens if they had packed it up and quit investing in 1998?

mckmas8808

Novak: "...platforms will generally get a recoup on any funds spent on exclusivity meaning until they are paid back, they will keep that cash..."

An interesting point that Novak brings up and what I think many people don't know is that moneyhats ARE recouped. They're not just free money for Square Enix on top of whatever the game earns.

Say Sony offers Square Enix $200m to keep FF7 exclusive to Playstation. Sony then takes 100% of all revenue generated from FF7's game's sales UNTIL Sony gets back their initial $200m. After which, earnings are distributed as normal.

Another example was Epic's lauded publishing deal. See one of the terms, which reads : "...Once costs are recouped, developers earn at least 50% of all profits."

Lastly, I'll add my own experience as an indie developer. I took a minimum guarantee up front of from my publisher and agreed to a 50/50 split of the proceeds. I didn't realize minimum guarantee would be recouped (since it was my first release). It sucked balls learning that I'd get nothing from game sales for a while. In my case, the publisher recouped 2x the minimum guarantee amount - their logic was that our split was 50/50. So since I had received $X, they started at -$X. Therefore, they had to earn $2X before earnings could be distributed. Felt like double-dipping to me.

Recoupment is standard industry practice. So, another way to look at them is that they're "money that you'd have earned anyway, but you get it a bit earlier". In that lens, there's absolutely no motivation to take an exclusivity deal - going multiplatform earns you MUCH more money. The only reason you'd take it is if you think the game is going to bomb, and you'd have more money from the money hat.

Yeah I never knew this in my life. So glad to read that for good understanding of the industry. Moneyhat feels alot different to me now. I thought it was free cash for the 3rd party dev. I guess a 3rd party would do a exclusive deal if they couldn't secure the funding for their game though. Plus marketing money that will be tossed in too.

I thought that's what I read but I wasn't sure cause it doesn't make sense. I don't see why companies would want to do an exclusive deal at all now unless it's a situation like Capcom and SF where the game wont be made at all unless someone invest in the making of it.

Crayon

Final Fantasy XV sold over 10 million. There’s still a big audience for these games provided they make something gamers actually want and release it on all platforms.

I know they got off a lot of 15. What's the verdict on 16, though? 15 was a long time ago and I think responsible for muddying the name a bit.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I know they got off a lot of 15. What's the verdict on 16, though? 15 was a long time ago and I think responsible for muddying the name a bit.
16 is like a Rorschach test. Everyone blames its poor sales on different things depending on their own biases. If you loved 16, then the poor sales were because 15 ruined the series’ reputation. If you’re the type who thinks every post-PS2 FF is a disappointment, then the poor sales were because 16 abandoned the series identity.

As someone who started with FF1 but really got into the series with FF6, honestly I was 100% onboard with the shift to character action combat and a mature GoT style story. The problem is that 16 just sucks as an action game and as a JRPG. The boss fights were amazing but most of the game is just painfully boring.

For all 15’s flaws, it was still a fun game that made me want to jump in and explore and kept me playing to the end. I’d gladly play another FF that built upon and improved 15’s formula. 16 just bored me to tears and literally put me to sleep multiple times until I gave up around the 70% mark.

Angry_Megalodon

Gold Member
FF16 is a Final Fantasy game only by name. It's all about identity loss.

Square turned their most iconic game into a whole saga only because they have lost their way with the franchise, unlike Nintendo with Zelda.

Now Nier is becoming popular (bordering mainstream) but they haven't figured out what to do with that one, too. Yoko Taro sounded frustrated in the joint interview with Shift Up's CEO. Square's management sucks.

Gambit2483

Square turned their most iconic game into a whole saga only because they have lost their way with the franchise, unlike Nintendo with Zelda.

Now Nier is becoming popular (bordering mainstream) but they haven't figured out what to do with that one, too. Yoko Taro sounded frustrated in the joint interview with Shift Up's CEO. Square's management sucks.
Agreed, Nier is just outside of Mainstream. That's what makes me think their next game will indeed be Nier. I mean, they made an actual anime of Nier Automata...

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

I don't think you understand Final Fantasy in general if you think 16 is FF only in name.

You are correct that the issue is Management. Pushing 5-10 AAA games all at once, many of them terrible ideas and made by shitty western devs is not smart. Not doing proper advertising on your smaller games is not smart (I saw almost zero ads for Harvestella, Dungeon Encounters, Voice of Cards, etc). Focusing on trying to chase GAAS trends and NFTs is not smart.

Management is the issue. The silly perception from a handful of bitter fans who still haven't gotten over the change from Turn-based nearly two decades prior is not.

Last edited:
Top Bottom