• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 16 sales results were in the range of their expectations, feel the penetration of PS5 performance was quite good.

squarealex

FFXV sold 5 million units on it's first month across all platforms, not sure how much Sony paid for the exclusivity but it seems it wasnt worth it.
Only on PS4 and One. The report says that 79% of all sales of Final Fantasy XV on UK were on the PS4, meaning just 21% of sales was for the Xbox One.

Even if we have only PS5 / Series release, the game maybe sales lower than 500k on Xbox. IDK why people thinking 16 sales more with releasing on all consoles.

Last edited:

Astray

Gold Member
This latest gaffe of Takashi's gets even funnier when you sit down and realize that:

- Square underperformance was directly mentioned to be a result of underperforming past titles, meaning stuff like Forspoken and Harvestella (which still have sales forecasts and promo plans even after we forgot about them).
- Square actually plans to have more AAA titles than AA ones (I.e. you are actually gonna get more titles like FF16 and less like Harvestella or Diofield Chronicles).

How can a guy be this outright dumb and still work at Bloomberg?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
My opinion is that if people wanted this game to sell you’d have all the PS5 owners buying copies out their ears. It “flopped” because it was an easy to glance over action based Final Fantasy. Not a lot of replay value and not a lot of side content that was worth sharing with friends. I don’t think it could have saved the game. The hype was kinda over a week or two later. It was streamlined for some new audience. I don’t think this has anything to do with platform. If this was Sakaguchi level of Final Fantasy, it would have probably sold more. It didn’t touch their watered down fan base. Unless I’m baseless and my love of Square is completely out of touch.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

I don’t think it flopped and I don’t think it was a big success either, especially in Japan. I think, ironically, that it was saved by being one of the two big Sony exclusives this year.

But it’s deeply ironic they are going to get their ass whipped, on their main platform, by a turn-based, party-based CRPG with D&D ruleset when they insisted so much on turn-based and party management being outdated and nobody wanting those in the younger generations. It’s poetic justice and I hope it really stings lmao.

Moochi

I think it looks cool and I'm looking forward to a pc release. Only thing I'm worried about is that people said it was too easy and button mashy.

Skelterz

The sooner they drop the bullshit and make a turn based AAA final fantasy the sooner we can forget the nightmare of releases for the best part of a decade or more, Remember who you are and remember what your fans want and maybe you’ll start selling more games.

Ar¢tos

This latest gaffe of Takashi's gets even funnier when you sit down and realize that:

- Square underperformance was directly mentioned to be a result of underperforming past titles, meaning stuff like Forspoken and Harvestella (which still have sales forecasts and promo plans even after we forgot about them).
- Square actually plans to have more AAA titles than AA ones (I.e. you are actually gonna get more titles like FF16 and less like Harvestella or Diofield Chronicles).

How can a guy be this outright dumb and still work at Bloomberg?
Harvestella?
- Release game on Switch + PC only
- Don't promote it at all
- ???
- Complain it didn't sell nearly enough

Buggy Loop

Exclusive to one platform
Moves away from everything that made FF

Square-Enix :
surprised-pikachu.gif

Poor Eidos who got dragged into this piss poor management for so many years.

Fbh

Some people seem obsessed with seeing this game fail.

3 million is not bad for a game like that. They were probably expecting Hogwarts sales but if you want that you need to release on all platforms at once. Xbox splits are usually 20% with PC bringing in another 15%. They couldve hit 5 million had they not taken Sony's money hat to buy themselves yahcts, cocaine and hookers.

Well it also depends on how much Sony paid them, maybe it was enough to cover 35% lower sales than expected.

Also 3 million isn't as bad as people make it sound (plus while sales have slowed down it's not like it stopped selling).
Re4 Remake, the remake of one of the most beloved games from the Ps2/GC generation which launched to universal critical acclaim (93 metascore) has sold 5 million in 4 months while releasing on Ps4, ps5, SX, SS and PC.

Astray

Gold Member
Harvestella?
- Release game on Switch + PC only
- Don't promote it at all
- ???
- Complain it didn't sell nearly enough
AA games in general don't get as much marketing as AAA.

I think Square was ultra dumb in how they shipped and released a lot of titles this past year and it's caught up with them now.

erf... stop posting viral shit source...
Because the source of the Eurogamer news is ....

Written by...

When once (again) misinterpreted...

4668ddad0b446f63a5cb274035b0e56abc81c592.png

This is the same guys saying PSVR2 flopping hard or Sony failed some report, because people buy less PS5 game

NGL, mods should close this thread then. Bloomberg Takashi has such an obvious fanboy hateboner against PlayStation, it bleeds through in every single one of his mentions and reports regarding the platform and its exclusive games.

There's nothing of substance to discuss here. Shut it down. Back to lurking.

Orbital2060

Exclusive to one platform
Moves away from everything that made FF

Square-Enix :
surprised-pikachu.gif

Poor Eidos who got dragged into this piss poor management for so many years.
Yep. The real issue here is the company needs new leadership that have a genuine compassion and vision for all of these great IPs, instead of chasing trends or selling out to stupid shit like NFTs.

Astray

Gold Member
Some people seem obsessed with seeing this game fail.
It's a mix of people who don't want a non-turn-based FF to succeed (and thus influence future FF titles in a direction they don't like), and weirdo Xbox influencers who want to gloat over Sony failing at something.

Well it also depends on how much Sony paid them, maybe it was enough to cover 35% lower sales than expected.

Also 3 million isn't as bad as people make it sound (plus while sales have slowed down it's not like it stopped selling).
Re4 Remake, the remake of one of the most beloved games from the Ps2/GC generation which launched to universal critical acclaim (93 metascore) has sold 5 million in 4 months while releasing on Ps4, ps5, SX, SS and PC.
It's actually selling quite well, not reaching the ceiling of your estimates means that you still hit your estimates and are profitable (it's actually been mentioned as a bright spot in their earnings call iirc), now they can start doing promo plans like DLCs/Sales plus release on other platforms after the exclusivity period ends to keep making money on the title.

Yep. The real issue here is the company needs new leadership that have a genuine compassion and vision for all of these great IPs, instead of chasing trends or selling out to stupid shit like NFTs.
Company leadership has changed v.recently, the new management's plans are just starting.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
If they weren’t happy with Tomb Raider selling over 3 million copies, then they’re not going to be happy with Final Fantasy’s lackluster sales either.

Pikmin 4 even outsold it in Japan.

Three

It's a mix of people who don't want a non-turn-based FF to succeed (and thus influence future FF titles in a direction they don't like), and weirdo Xbox influencers who want to gloat over Sony failing at something.
I think the turn based nonsense is mostly an excuse to complain in a somewhat believable critical way about a highly rated game. Especially as some of those same people use FF15 as the best performing FF, not turn based either. Some truly actually prefer turn based, I understand, but it reminds me of the "corridor racer" slights against another game as if there is something intrinsically wrong with what the game is. There isn't anything wrong with an action RPG, I bet they play a lot of those too.

Brock2621

Finished it last night and absolutely loved it. Was it perfect? No way. But right now it's my top game of 2023 (I haven't played TOTK yet). The spectacle, world building, voice acting just dripped quality. I'm heartbroken it's over right now.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Next FF should just be Squares take on open world Zelda. Make it more gameplay centric and less story heavy. Then they have a shot at 20 million in sales

Astray

Gold Member
I think the turn based nonsense is mostly an excuse to complain in a somewhat believable critical way about a highly rated game. Especially as some of those same people use FF15 as the best performing FF, not turn based either. Some truly actually prefer turn based, I understand, but it reminds me of the "corridor racer" slights against another game as if there is something intrinsically wrong with what the game is. There isn't anything wrong with an action RPG, I bet they play a lot of those too.
As someone who considers FF9 to be the best one overall (about to start playing modded FF7 on Steam soon tho so that can change!), I can't say I completely agree with you.

But I think I accepted that Final Fantasy is now a "pick-and-choose" series since 13 (my god was that awful as fuck! I don't think I hated a game as much as I did with FF13 at the time).

I was eh on 15, but 16 has appealed to me as an action RPG, let's see what 17 brings up.

Last edited:

Three

As someone who considers FF9 to be the best one overall (about to start playing modded FF7 on Steam soon tho so that can change!), I can't say I completely agree with you.

But I think I accepted that Final Fantasy is now a "pick-and-choose" series since 13 (my god was that awful as fuck! I don't think I hated a game as much as I did with FF13 at the time).

I was eh on 15, but 16 has appealed to me as an action RPG, let's see what 17 brings up.
I do wonder how difficult it would be to have a choice of turn based or action in the battle system of one release to appease both audiences.

Hudo

I feel like they say this about every game.
Because they do. Square Enix, for some weird reason, always have outrageous sales expectations for their titles.

Edit: But I do agree with the sentiment that this should've been a multiplatform title from day one. Doesn't make sense for Square to act as a second-party when there's more money to be made by being third-party.

Last edited:
Top Bottom