• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite Chapter 2 Season 3: Splashdown |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Gunplay isn't an issue whatsoever.

Well, maybe come out of your box and use an AR every once in a while.

No, I'm kidding, hahaha.

I do get pissed at dumping a whole clip into someone at long range and every shot missing, but that's just Fortnite at this point. Its all about shot timing, reticle blooming, movement and trying to optimize all of those things for good long-range shots.

With those things in play, I can do quite a bit of precise long-range damage, and am happy with it.

I just miss the Infantry. No bloom ever, and a non-spammable gun based entirely on skill, made it absolutely sing in the right hands.

The rest of the combat is mostly wonderful, and I basically have the opposite of complaints.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I haven't seen this livestream myself, but apparently some nifty details about next-gen Fortnite.

• Fortnite will launch on PS5 and Xbox SX on day 1
  • Nothing confirmed, but they only ever mentioned UE5 running at 60 FPS on PS5 and Xbox SX. This does imply Fortnite will continue at 60 FPS on consoles, but again, it wasn't confirmed to be the max
  • Fortnite will be the first major game to use UE5, using it before UE5 is even released fully. Fortnite's migration to UE5 will be in roughly a year from now
  • There should be huge performance improvements, and quite likely no more LODs
  • UE5 specifically has performance improvements for games that use a grid-based building system
  • The Chaos Engine is being used in Fortnite for optimisation, and is the current system in place for cloth physics. We already knew this, but hopefully this will shut the last few people up who still think we're getting destruction with Chaos
  • Improvements to networked games
  • Games will no longer be impacted by the amount of objects currently being rendered in
For game developers:

• The water system in Fortnite will be available to game developers with the release of UE5
  • All optimisations made in the Fortnite branch of Unreal Engine actually get ported over to the main branch. So game developers see huge improvements to their games, purely thanks to Fortnite

I hate to link Reddit, but source:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Well, maybe come out of your box and use an AR every once in a while.

No, I'm kidding, hahaha.

I do get pissed at dumping a whole clip into someone at long range and every shot missing, but that's just Fortnite at this point. Its all about shot timing, reticle blooming, movement and trying to optimize all of those things for good long-range shots.

With those things in play, I can do quite a bit of precise long-range damage, and am happy with it.

I just miss the Infantry. No bloom ever, and a non-spammable gun based entirely on skill, made it absolutely sing in the right hands.

The rest of the combat is mostly wonderful, and I basically have the opposite of complaints.

I tend to like Fortnites gunplay because it removes (slightly) the game designs focus on gunplay. Strong auto aim with no recoil is my preference. I'm over games where the superior shooter wins.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I tend to like Fortnites gunplay because it removes (slightly) the game designs focus on gunplay. Strong auto aim with no recoil is my preference. I'm over games where the superior shooter wins.

Yeah, I saw you and Tess going at it over that subject, lol.

I find the perspective interesting, but I don't agree, at least to that extent. I am a crackshot with a controller, and have been since Halo. Games, weapons, and mechanics that reward that, feel really good to me.

I do like that Fort throws a bit of random spread in to emphasize strategy and positioning, as well as second chances, and the ability to defend yourself when ambushed. I think that's a part of the game that makes it feel really good.

Nickmercs and his accursed imagination at the end of C2S2:

Getting jumped over and over by troll sharks when I'm trying to do anything is a major PITA.

I'm reminded of that Etrian Odyssey parody song, except now the jumping shark is the FOE.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Nickmercs and his accursed imagination at the end of C2S2:

Getting jumped over and over by troll sharks when I'm trying to do anything is a major PITA.

I'm reminded of that Etrian Odyssey parody song, except now the jumping shark is the FOE.

I don't know why everyone else has such trouble with the sharks, while they hit me for like 25 damage, or I can swim by them regularly. Lol.

I mean, I believe you guys! I've seen the clips. Just for some reason, I seem to have shark favoritism.

I don't know why everyone else has such trouble with the sharks, while they hit me for like 25 damage, or I can swim by them regularly. Lol.

I mean, I believe you guys! I've seen the clips. Just for some reason, I seem to have shark favoritism.
It's a problem for me because my current haunt is Rickety Rig & The Fortilla and unlike Marauders, sharks don't need line of sight to start attacking you.

Healing up? Jumping shark!
Upgrading your weapon? Jumping shark!
Hiding from potential enemies? Jumping shark!
Shaking down a henchman? Jumping shark!
Eyeing that pile of loot in the distance? Gobbling shark!
Fishing for Floppers and Slurpfish? You get the idea.

Sharks DGAF.

Oh and, that feeling I get when the "Ride a Loot Shark" quick challenge shows up and the sharks are nowhere to be found...then two or even three of them are near my landing spot when that challenge isn't there. Tsk.

-Arcadia-

Banned
It's a problem for me because my current haunt is Rickety Rig & The Fortilla and unlike Marauders, sharks don't need line of sight to start attacking you.

Healing up? Jumping shark!
Upgrading your weapon? Jumping shark!
Hiding from potential enemies? Jumping shark!
Shaking down a henchman? Jumping shark!
Eyeing that pile of loot in the distance? Gobbling shark!
Fishing for Floppers and Slurpfish? You get the idea.

Sharks DGAF.

Oh and, that feeling I get when the "Ride a Loot Shark" quick challenge shows up and the sharks are nowhere to be found...then two or even three of them are near my landing spot when that challenge isn't there. Tsk.

Cool story, bro.

One swam near me earlier, and I tried to feed it cabagges. He just gently declined, went away, then off to attack an opponent fifty feet away for me.

Must suck not being the queen of the seas. :messenger_sunglasses:

Cool story, bro.

One swam near me earlier, and I tried to feed it cabagges. He just gently declined, went away, then off to attack an opponent fifty feet away for me.

Must suck not being the queen of the seas. :messenger_sunglasses:
I gotta say, I've never tried feeding them anything yet. Maybe I should try with fireflies...

Fire-breathing flying sharks would be something to behold.

-Arcadia-

Banned
This is really cool. We got a glimpse of how the maps, specifically the Chapter 2 one, are created.

There’s a full presentation too. Just head here.

...And follow the instructions below, apparently.

You can watch the full video here btw! It's a super interesting insight into the development of Fortnite C2's world.

Just register, go to your email and open the link, log in, go to the "Sessions" tab, click "Games", and watch "Building Worlds in ‘Fortnite’ With Unreal Engine" on demand.

(It's an \1hr long, with the last ~25mins reserved for a Q&A. There are also other videos to explore if you're interested in Unreal Engine.)

-Arcadia-

Banned
I am horrendous at building.

You shouldn’t have to worry about it too much with matchmaking these days, but my advice (I don’t know where your experience level is, so I’ll start at the beginning) is to think of a wall like a block in a fighting game. If you’re not attacking, if you’re not maneuvering, always have something in between you and the opponent until you make your next move.

I play with someone who can’t build, and matchmaking serves him similar people, and you can see how bad it is for both players. They see each other, they fire on each other, and they both just kind of sit there with the triggers pulled hoping they’ll come out on top. Reloading out in the open too, all of it.

Second thing is that height deals serious advantages in this game. It’s not everything, like it used to be, but generally, if you’re above someone, you have the upper hand.

Third thing is to head into options, and tweak building settings to feel good for you. Also, up the building speed chunk by chunk, over weeks, as you get used to it. When you can’t adapt anymore, that’s your sweet spot.

The rest is just practice. I used to use Playground, but I guess that’s all changed around these days. Go into Battle Lab or Creative, and give yourself a ton of mats, and just... go crazy. Have fun, practice situations that give you trouble, or cool things you’ve seen people do, and get it into muscle memory.

-Arcadia-

Banned
The new Unvaulted ltm is god tier. Just about everything fun ever in this game, in one giant chaos stew, balance need not apply.

Pretty much, running an Infantry, Combat, and a Tac SMG, the most common weapons, at the same time is basically the Fortnite happy place.

Minimum requirement of duos, but even if you hate teaming with randoms like I do, duos is at least semi-doable solo, and for once seems like a nice compromise to these LTMs always being squads.

-Arcadia-

Banned
That was the most fun I’ve had on an LTM in ages. It almost superseded the main game.

Don’t get me wrong, I am a huge fan of how well this Chapter is balanced. It’s just that the game getting to let its hair down, and return to that Chapter 1 insanity, in the right time and place, is completely awesome.

Also, may start solo Duoing more often. That was really, really enjoyable. I made it to third place with 6 kills at my best.

-Arcadia-

Banned
So, my mind kind of wandered to the story a bit tonight. Where do you guys think players were relocated to during the C2 Season 2 event? What exactly was that office and place?

I really, really don't know, but my overall vibe was a very strong 'breaking the simulation' moment. Particularly the character's surprise at seeing you. But, then again, they were talking about the in-game storm like it was a real thing for them too.

I'm wondering when they're going to follow up on that, because all of that lore was way too tantalizing to leave hanging for long. Maybe it'll become a big part of this Chapter's story?

-Arcadia-

Banned
Water went down again, btw. It'll be awesome to discover the newest round of returns and changes, but I continue feeling sad that it's all been so quick.

More than any other season, even X, everything cool they've done has been so transient.

I kind of wonder why they're in such a hurry? All the super flooded stages of the island were a blast, not annoying or anything like that. It's almost like the second half of the season is going to be something entirely different, and they're prepping for that.

Jooxed

Gold Member
Water went down again, btw. It'll be awesome to discover the newest round of returns and changes, but I continue feeling sad that it's all been so quick.

More than any other season, even X, everything cool they've done has been so transient.

I kind of wonder why they're in such a hurry? All the super flooded stages of the island were a blast, not annoying or anything like that. It's almost like the second half of the season is going to be something entirely different, and they're prepping for that.

GOOD IM SO TIRED OF SWIMMING EVERYWHERE. Only top 20 GAF plebs like things like sharks and swimming.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
I've loved this season so far, and have had a blast playing the Unvaulted Duos LTM even solo. The chaos that's possible is so fun! :)

I hope the flooding doesn't go away completely! The levels are supposedly going down again around the 23rd or 24th.

They are readying the map to make it so cars are driveable...and I've already seen gas station symbols around the island overmap a couple of times. I'm guessing you'll have to refuel them after a while?

I hope that the driveable automobiles vary in type. Will we be able to drive trucks? Busses? Rigs? Who knows, but I'm excited to see. 🚘

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
I've loved this season so far, and have had a blast playing the Unvaulted Duos LTM even solo. The chaos that's possible is so fun! :)

It's so good. Everything you mentioned. Unvaulted really needs to be a regular LTM, because at this point, Epic has thrown away so much stuff, that they can snap their fingers, arrange old loot a certain way, and you have what feels like a brand new game to play, as well as every kind of awesome nostalgia for the individual items.

They are readying the map to make it so cars are driveable...and I've already seen gas station symbols around the island overmap a couple of times. I'm guessing you'll have to refuel them after a while?

I hope that the driveable automobiles vary in type. Will we be able to drive trucks? Busses? Rigs? Who knows, but I'm excited to see. 🚘

Trucks and big rigs are actually in the trailer, so definitely. I'm really excited for this. I remember having a good laugh back in the original Season 3, when I walked up to a car just to make absolutely sure you couldn't drive them, and we weren't all missing out on a secret feature.

10 seasons later...

Since cars are literally everywhere, I guess the gas is going to be a good way to balance them? I'm really interested to see how it works. My guess is it'll be like the fireflies -- you produce a... gas carrying thing from out of nowhere, get the gas, and it takes an inventory slot.

On the whole, I feel like it's going to immediately become GTA Fortnite, in the most awesome way.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Weeping is slowly coming back. I love the half-submerged areas. There's something so cool about getting glimpses of places you spent so much time in as you dive underwater, or swim over them, and returning week by week.

Somehow, I managed to collect a firefly from underwater too, lol.

Logjam Woodworks is also halfway accessible. You can pickaxe pallets underwater and walk out of there with 999 wood, right before some newbie lands a lucky snipe on you and takes it for themselves.

Not mad at all.

reptilex

Banned
So wait there's Aquaman and Captain America in Fortnite? Am I the only to notice this is the first time in a long time that Marvel and DC franchise share a same platform, let alone in another title?

So wait there's Aquaman and Captain America in Fortnite? Am I the only to notice this is the first time in a long time that Marvel and DC franchise share a same platform, let alone in another title?
You're late to the party.

Star-Lord and Black Widow were the first Marvel characters to be purchasable skins in Fortnite with Batman and Catwoman showing up later on, this all happened in 2019.

I tried Unvaulted for a bunch, it's the Fortnite equivalent of Smash with all items on.

Too messy to have any real plans but quite fun to see all sorts of funky item combinations. I'll always get a chuckle out of seeing someone floating midair on a balloon or two, something about it just reeks of Fortnite whackiness.

Also....WHERE ARE THE BALLERS!?

When your game has a huge number and variety of skins, this is a thing that can happen.

Lots of funny, innuendo-laden comments abound as Loserfruit and three of her cohorts pass colourful judgement on a whole slew of Fortnite skins, including Captain America and John Wick.

Quite a few missed joke opportunities too IMO, but you can't nail them all.

reptilex

Banned
You're late to the party.

Star-Lord and Black Widow were the first Marvel characters to be purchasable skins in Fortnite with Batman and Catwoman showing up later on, this all happened in 2019.

Didn't know, damn they're really try to go for that Oasis thing, too bad the design is disgusting and so is their main audience. But at least that's a first credible attempt at it.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Is Pleasant Park really back to normal as though nothing happened? That’s disappointing, I was hoping the tubing would stay on or some sort of reminder these were floating houses.

Is Pleasant Park really back to normal as though nothing happened? That’s disappointing, I was hoping the tubing would stay on or some sort of reminder these were floating houses.
Ugh, I checked it out and you're right. It's disappointing considering locations like Weeping and Risky show signs of prior disturbance. Pleasant just looks like it's back to C2S1.

Epic could rip off Nintendo with "Settle it in Fortnite!"

NickFire

If MS drops the paywall for multiplayer games, I bet I'll be one of a few million people anxious to know if you can merge your PSN Fortnite progress with Xbox version.

-Arcadia-

Banned

Same. I really liked the Wal-Mart Venice thing Pleasant had going on. A town on the water was something so unique, both for Pleasant and the game, and the added areas like the showers really gave the area an even better flow.

I was kind of of hoping the surrounding areas would 'bowl' the water and keep it that way.

I know that. I'm only referring to what happens if someone switches from Sony to Xbox. Will they lose their skins and stw access? Don't know, but if Gold goes away and PS+ does not, I will want to know.

Recently got an Xbox One X, coming from PS4 and Switch, and everything is there, down to the last music pack I was playing in the lobby, and I've gone back to Switch several times, all changes preserved. It's truly platform agnostic saving, and awesome. I forget the details but it was pretty simple to get set up.

Ready Player One's Oasis.

For anyone who doesn't know, it's a big VR space where every brand that was and is, comes together. You can see the Fortnite resemblance... although I'd argue most people don't use the crossover skins very much, outside of their release. It's not quite that Oasis paradise, because people seem to prefer Epic's original creations, or the latest, newest thing.

Last edited:

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
I know that. I'm only referring to what happens if someone switches from Sony to Xbox. Will they lose their skins and stw access? Don't know, but if Gold goes away and PS+ does not, I will want to know.

I switched from playing on the Nintendo Switch to playing on XBox One X and all my purchased content remained available, but I'm not sure about PS+. I'm assuming it should be the same, since it's all tied to the account with Epic.

Roitorb

I switched from playing on the Nintendo Switch to playing on XBox One X and all my purchased content remained available, but I'm not sure about PS+. I'm assuming it should be the same, since it's all tied to the account with Epic.

I have an account on switch and Xbox and all skins and in game stuff move with you no matter what platform you sign in to.

I think the main difference is that you'd still need to pay for PS plus to play STW (online)? I'm assuming the STW portion requires paid online since it's not the F2P portion of Fortnite. Genuinely have no idea on this.

With regards to progress and cosmetics, all those are synced up with Fortnite servers and can be accessed on any device. No STW on Switch or mobile though.

And one more detail (that you didn't ask for): purchased vbucks are tied to the storefront you bought them from.

Eg. You buy 2000vbucks from PSN and 1000vbucks from Nintendo eshop, you don't get 3000 total on either account.

The game deducts the purchased vbucks first until they're depleted, then they'll deduct from the universal vbucks (from the battlepass or STW).

Continuing with the example earlier, if you saved up another 1000vbucks from the battlepass, on PS4 it'll show up as a total of 3000vbucks. On Switch it'll show up as 2000vbucks.

So if you buy a 1500 vbucks skin on the PS4, you'll have 500 PSN vbucks and 1000 universal vbucks left. On Switch you'd still have 2000.

If you chose to buy the 1500 vbucks skin on the Switch, you'll have depleted the 1000 eshop vbucks, and spent 500 universal, with 500 universal left. On PS4 it'll show up as 2500 vbucks left.

I'm pointing this out (clumsily) because in the event you see a good deal for vbucks on one particular platform (eg. discounted PSN/eshop codes) you need to know it doesn't stack with vbucks on another platform. If you had 1000PSN vbucks and wanted to buy a 2000 vbucks skin on the Switch, you'd have to purchase 2000 vbucks on the Switch, not 1000.

And trying to even up the vbucks to prevent confusion is a bit cumbersome because it prioritizes deduction from the platform-tied vbucks first.

P.S. I'm not sure how it works with mobile.

-Arcadia-

Banned
We're getting closer. As literally every single car in the game got pulled out with a hotfix, that means the driving functionality is there, and they could drop it on us any day now.

Most likely when the water level drops again, which is very, very soon.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Only OGs remember this map.

MnzIMge.jpg

This season wins the all-time award for coolest things with the least time to enjoy them, lol.

Still, it was super special. I hope that one day, there’s ‘Limited Time Maps’, because I’m sure this will be one of the most popular. Such a fun, refreshing change.

It’s cool to have the regular island back, though. I actually appreciate the natural beauty and feel of it, and how well it’s designed, all over again. In fact, with a little time and a few events to build character, I’m starting to feel the same way about this one as I did the Chapter 1 version. It’s this kind of... this is so spergy, lol, videogame home that feels special and comfortable all it’s own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom