• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport | Review Thread

What's the average score Forza Motorsport will get on Metacritic?

• 95 - 100

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • 90 - 94

Votes: 24 18.6%
  • 85 - 89

Votes: 72 55.8%
  • 80 - 84

Votes: 24 18.6%
  • 75 - 79

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • 70 - 74

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • <70

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
And sadly we heard so many times this game was all new built from the ground up
This is partly T10 fault due to how they communicated it. But they did say that the paint, shaders, damage, suspension, and maybe a couple other things were redone on all cars. It was one of the promo videos where they were discussing the work done on the cars. They never said they trashed all car models and started over. But I get how one could start to think that, or expect that, given the way they kept harping on "built from the ground up". But it's just not possible to redo all 3D models of 500+ cars from scratch in the timeline for this game. Perhaps they could have, or should have, scrapped all the cars and had a much lower number, but that was not the way they went. From what I played so far, I think the cars look pretty great while playing the game and I'm glad to have a large car roster to explore.

damidu

Amazing this game scored as well as it did. Damn that's a huge list.

Clearly phils fault, he's breeding a culture of release today fix tomorrow.

The game pass effect people aren't paying for this so who cares.

Sucks for those that are paying to alpha test this shit.
yeah they are quite in a streak with their half baked first party releases, definitely a culture thing.

pity the fools who are paying for the privilege of beta testing a week in advance.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Amazing this game scored as well as it did. Damn that's a huge list.

Clearly phils fault, he's breeding a culture of release today fix tomorrow.

The game pass effect people aren't paying for this so who cares.

Sucks for those that are paying to alpha test this shit.

Some of the items in the list are things like missing decimals and the logo video not fading clean enough. Hardly game breakers.

The multiplayer actually looks pretty good so far, at least before the unwashed masses arrive.

Rand Paul Fauci GIF by GIPHY News

Last edited:
I just had an insane multiplayer race. Heart was pumping the entire time.

Qualified P1, so you know what was coming, and it did. Got hit in turn 1 and knocked back to sixth place.

Towards the end of the first lap, I got spun out and knocked back to 11th place.

Decided my race wasn't going to end there. Ended up fighting my way through and passed the guy in P1 on the last corner. Rubbed him a bit because I was driving like a madman. I knew it was my fault and almost felt bad about it, but not after what happened earlier in the race. The game ended up giving me a 0.5s penalty for that but I managed to gap him by over 1S between the final corner and checkered flag.

I think the best thing this game has going for it right now is all of the systems it has in place. The penalty system feels fair, from what I've seen, the sector ratings are great, cars leveling up feels really nice, etc.

I could be playing any sim racing game instead but I'm honestly having more fun on this. Maybe because it's new, and it honestly feels nice to play a game that's more forgiving, but if multiplayer stays clean I think I will be playing it for a long time.
Nice to hear stuff like this, specially since most comments are 100% real concern ones X'D, i am also looking for a not too hardcore realistic experience where i can perfectly play with a controller and have fun.

About the multiplayer races and the car selection, how does it work? every player has the same car? do the experience you gain with cars work? Guess you can't be facing Ferraris with your 200hp Golf GTI or?

And about the number of laps, is that chooseable? and there are pit boxes if you choose to have a race with several laps ye? And maybe changeable weather? 🙏🙏

Last edited:

Jorav

Game keeps stalling during mid race upgrades or tunes. Have to close and open it again whereupon I lose all my progression and have to restart the series. Quite frustrating but I’m still having fun racing.

Edit: This is comically bad. Finished an entire series. Chose my next car and tried to paint it, whereupon it freezes. Lose all progression and have to restart the previous series!!

Last edited:
Can’t find the OT. -1 review point because I don’t see how to judge how long tire compounds last. Fucked up my race.

Any one know how to just soft medium hard? I guess soft 4-5 laps max, medium 6-8, hard 9-10.

Outlier

Guys... This game is an embarrassment. 4 hours in and It's crashed 6 times, when completing races and going to menu for a few seconds. I know I'm not the only one experiencing these crashes, either.

WTF is WRONG with this trash!? It is essentially unplayable, like this.
So far a 1/10, because it works for a little while, at least.

MS needs to fix this mess.

Anyway. Back to BG3, new game Cyberpunk 2077and maybe some Starfield. Games that actually work.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Gamermuscle's take (he said he'd give it a 6.5/10 if he had to rate it at the moment but that's predominantly due to the frustration with the 60fps cap in multiplayer on PC):

I'd suggest watching the video because he's pretty positive on most aspects overall and likes it better than GT7 (which incidentally he really didn't like).

I really don't get what people expect from single player track games though. Forza has gone a different route or you got GT. What do people expect. Anyone suggest any ideas ?

I like Project Cars single player having seasons with different teams.

Surfheart

I’m not sure wtf happened to the SX version. The road and roadside textures turn to mush 10 feet in front of the cockpit, fine vertical details like fences shimmer like crazy and objects in the middle/far distance just look soft and ill defined. Dissapointing.

Neo 007

Some of the car models are.....questionable at best.
Getting used to the physics. They are actually growing on me.
Sounds overall are pretty nice.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
So, I've been hearing some positives on fanatec dd support. Which is great.

So potentially great online experience, the closest console racing game would get to a sim game. Terrible single player and just play assetto corsa on PC.

Now if fanatec had shipped me my wheel within 6 weeks of ordering it, I may be a little more excited....what the fuck has happened to that company....rant over.

Last edited:

GHG

I really don't get what people expect from single player track games though. Forza has gone a different route or you got GT. What do people expect. Anyone suggest any ideas ?

I like Project Cars single player having seasons with different teams.

The project cars route is on the right track IMO.

Reiza are still working on the Automobilista 2 campaign and are looking at emulating the most famous/eventful races in history, down to the weather/time progressing in real time as they did in the real race using their real historical weather system.

There are quite a few ways to innovate/expand on the formula without needing to resort to a system that wouldn't look out of place in a mobile game (even duplicates of the same car need to be leveled up individually - this in particular makes no sense).

When jump on this it's pretty safe to say I won't be touching the singleplayer at all. The multiplayer system is the area where they've made the real improvements.

Last edited:

Nemesisuuu

So, I've been hearing some positives on fanatec dd support. Which is great.

So potentially great online experience, the closest console racing game would get to a sim game. Terrible single player and just play assetto corsa on PC.

Now if fanatec had shipped me my wheel within 6 weeks of ordering it, I may be a little more excited....what the fuck has happened to that company....rant over.
Which one did you order? I'm also waiting for shipment, just made order few days ago and this is what I got in the mail:

Please note, we are currently experiencing warehouse processing delays of up to 5 business days, due to a transition to a new logistics partner.
This means the shipping status in your Fanatec account (“Completely shipped”) may be temporarily inaccurate. Our shipping partner will provide
you with your tracking number as soon as it has left our warehouse.

Did you contact them? 6 weeks is too much.

Zuzu

I may be wrong here but I think the Series S has had a detrimental effect on the multiplayer of this game. I think that a 120fps mode may have been possible on the Series X because it seems to have a lot of gpu headroom if they lowered the resolution in performance mode to something like 1080p.

Since they've stupidly tied the physics to the frame rate then if the Series X was the only console then they could've raised the multiplayer frame rate to 120fps and multiplayer would've improved for everyone (PC & Xbox). But they possibly couldn't offer 120fps on Series S because of its weak GPU and so everyone has to be held back to 60fps.

But it may be that the Series X still couldn't run it at 120fps due to CPU limitations so I could be completely wrong. But if 120fps is GPU limited then I think Series S could be decreasing the potential multiplayer frame rate for everyone.

Alternatively, when they were "building from the ground up" they should've built it so the physics implementation wasn't affected by the frame rate.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not

The multiplayer actually looks pretty good so far, at least before the unwashed masses arrive.

Ohh wow that actually does look like alot of fun.

Praying the penalty system is good enough to handle the bumper cars that we will inevitably get.

GHG

We knew that from the start, it's just usual T10 PR wank

They removed Greenawalt from the pre-release marketing/interviews because everyone was sick of his bullshit after the last 3/4 iterations but yet the outcome is still the same even a decade later.

Ah how I miss the days of yore when gaming journalists were just that, and weren't afraid to call out bullshit as they saw it instead of behaving like a bunch of sock puppets.

Last edited:

Senua

They removed Greenawalt from the pre-release marketing/interviews because everyone was sick of his bullshit after the last 3/4 iterations but yet the outcome is still the same even a decade later.

Ha I swear I remember that from back in the day. T10 has and likely always will be like this until their games actually get a proper kicking. They are so far up their own arses they just do what they wana do which is seemingly the bare minimum in terms of career structure and actually progression, and just focus EVERYTHING on technical and marketing buzzwords. IMO they need a massive shaking up, most of their community (except the rabid hardcore) dislikes the direction they've gone in, they've lost their way ever since FM5. I still play their games because their gameplay with a controller is second to none as far as a track based sim title goes but everything apart from that is basically always lacklustre. I've played about 4 hours of the career and it's mediocre at best, there's absolutely no excitement in the air like the old games.

I played Forza Motorsport 4 on Xenia a few months ago and just the way that career starts and the presentation moving from different tracks feels so fucking exciting, the races are snappy, they nailed presentation. the starter cars were slow but it was fun to progress up the ranks into faster beasts. It's not nostalgia, it was just a fucking well made racing game

• Thoughtful
Reactions: GHG

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Yea
The project cars route is on the right track IMO.

Reiza are still working on the Automobilista 2 campaign and are looking at emulating the most famous/eventful races in history, down to the weather/time progressing in real time as they did in the real race using their real historical weather system.

There are quite a few ways to innovate/expand on the formula without needing to resort to a system that wouldn't look out of place in a mobile game (even duplicates of the same car need to be leveled up individually - this in particular makes no sense).

When jump on this it's pretty safe to say I won't be touching the singleplayer at all. The multiplayer system is the area where they've made the real improvements.
The Automobilista sounds ok but seems like just another mode to play for short bursts.
I like leveling up cars individually myself.
I don't like games where you access everything easy.
I like in GT7 you have to earn your money and it's not thrown at you easily.
But multiplayer with a mix of half decent single player is good balance. I can't see a amazing single player racing game ever. Times have changed and people ook back on single player track racers with the rose tinted glasses on.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Marketing: Built from the ground up*

*Using the same tools, materials and methods we used to build the last three games
Well, they have clearly changed some of the inner workings of the game, so I'd say the issue is much more straight forward: The game is simply not finished. They probably just frantically half-assed their way to a release and bet on fixing the rest in patches and updates down the gaas line.

Last edited:

Porticus

I love the smell of unskippable trashy 5 minutes longs cutscenes in racing games nowadays that doesn't even bring you to a main menu but straight to a stupid tutorial.

Plus the wonderful xbox store where games language is tied to your windows region.

Will Microsoft manage to add a language selector in the app before the end of 2024? Only time will tell.

United by passion my ass.

Last edited:

Elysium44

Banned

Ah how I miss the days of yore when gaming journalists were just that, and weren't afraid to call out bullshit as they saw it instead of behaving like a bunch of sock puppets.

Ouch... I hadn't seen that article before. He has certainly figured Greenawalt out. That culture of BS seems to be ingrained at Turn 10. FM5 is another game where they made lofty promises about the AI being wonderful, and it turned out to be dreadful.

Here is one game I think deserves to be hammered by reviewers more than Starfield was. Eurogamer for example were very critical of that game and explained why, and gave it 6/10. But their Forza review read more like a marketing advertorial, and they gave it an 8.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

cormack12

Gold Member
Just read this about the AI, it sounds like Turn 10 just flat out lied about it being new and improved. It's got all the exact same bad old traits as before.

This was in Jardiers stream as well. He noticed also that at random times the wheel would deviate quite suddenly with no input. It sounded a bit like lane assist in modern cars. Said he thinks it's a bug.

The AI were braking at the crest of straight slopes as well to really slow so not sure if that's an AI issue.

Wizz-Art

Will there be an OT?

I'm amazed by this game, the driving feels sooo good! Not unimportant in a racing game, I reckon. As always with all the Forza games I bought the Premium Edition. I do love the new upgrading system, you have to work for it so every little upgrade feels like something you've earned, for me it's immersive. You race your ass off, level up the car, unlock upgrades, try to make your car better. I like it! I've got the Forza Horizon series for the easy fun when needed.

GHG

I played Forza Motorsport 4 on Xenia a few months ago and just the way that career starts and the presentation moving from different tracks feels so fucking exciting, the races are snappy, they nailed presentation. the starter cars were slow but it was fun to progress up the ranks into faster beasts. It's not nostalgia, it was just a fucking well made racing game

Yep I've played a lot of PGR4, FH1 and FM4 on zenia of late.

I just get the feeling that everything that can be designed around hamster wheel GAAS crap these days will be and it's to the games' detriment. It's like they put more effort into figuring out how to try and forcibly hook people into playing their game for as long as they're willing to support it instead of focusing on creating a solid game in the first place.

So many glaring and obvious issues but yet they are still willing to charge people for the pleasure of paying to beta test when this week should really be a free open beta to stress test the servers and get the final issues discovered and resolved.

I'm also of the opinion that the horizon series peaked with 2 and 3 before they designed it around seasons and locking cars behind time limited participation events.

I don't even bother with GT7 anymore either. They just don't make them like they used to unfortunately. I'm absolutely convinced that all the GAAS shit will be responsible for an industry-wide crash soon.

Last edited:
I'm probably an idiot, but are there no lobbies available for multiplayer? I can't seem to find how to play some random races with random people instead of the feature events.

Guys... This game is an embarrassment. 4 hours in and It's crashed 6 times, when completing races and going to menu for a few seconds. I know I'm not the only one experiencing these crashes, either.

WTF is WRONG with this trash!? It is essentially unplayable, like this.
So far a 1/10, because it works for a little while, at least.

MS needs to fix this mess.

Anyway. Back to BG3, new game Cyberpunk 2077and maybe some Starfield. Games that actually work.
Game plays great on the XSX but it is rough on PC. I have a i913900hk / 4090 and am sitting at around 45fps, something is very broken and I'm sure they will fix it but for now I'm sticking to the xsx

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Game plays great on the XSX but it is rough on PC. I have a i913900hk / 4090 and am sitting at around 45fps, something is very broken and I'm sure they will fix it but for now I'm sticking to the xsx

Yeah this isn’t right. I have 4090 and aging CPU and it plays fine on mine PC.

GHG

KvBNBrf.jpg

MNPm9dx.jpg

He0PEnZ.jpg
IboUYwz.jpg

Even their biggest fans are peeved off with the new upgrade system. I think it's obvious why they've made it such a time sink in the most ridiculous ways.

GIF by Christmas FM

Last edited:
Top Bottom