• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fox's X-Men Issues: Lawrence Unsigned, 'Deadpool' Defections, 'Gambit' on Hold

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing about Deadpool is I'm not sure he's a franchise carrier

After the BO performance it had? Didn't it out-perform BvS, who are obviously much more main-stream heroes and on brand value alone would draw a huge crowd? You can easily base a franchise off what we saw earlier this year, especially if you sprinkle in the occasional X-man or other marvel character for fan-service. Frankly I wish Fox would just hand over the xmen license to Marvel and get them in the MCU.

Despite a couple of bad movies, I really like what Fox has done with the X-Men, timeline be damned. I really don't want to see them go back to Marvel so I hope they can get things in order. I mean, Logan looks great and Deadpool was the most successful entry in the franchise to date so there's still a lot of life left in it. I didn't hate Lawrence as much as everyone else did but she's definitely not worth the money they'd have to pay to get her back.

A reboot could be cool but how would Deadpool fit into that? Best option imo is to go the Star Trek 2009 route. A soft reboot that acknowledges the past but introduces a new cast, more in line with what we expect from the comics. They could use Cable to reset the timeline and handwave any inconsistencies with a joke in Deapool 2. Get Matthew Vaughn on board and put X-23 front and center and there you go.

Batjag

If I'm the Head Honcho:

I let Logan be the finale of all prior X-Men films. I'm sure it'll be a worthy finale.

Let Deadpool stand as a soft reboot, and gradually reintroduce the new versions of a couple of characters in Deadpool 2.

Then announce the hunt for the new Wolverine, Magneto etc, who will all debut in a
X-Men/Deadpool 3 mash-up movie. Fanboys will go crazy fancasting and so on ( we can't help ourselves) and they'll get their hype back as well as a good jumping on point for new fans.

IISANDERII

So just replace Lawrence, it's not a challenging role. I understand the toughest part is getting the suit and makeup on.

Donos

Although i saw Logan trailer on Youtube, i got goosebumps when it came in the theatres. Really looking forward. Everything else? Eh. I liked Deadpool but could live without it (2nd and 3rd part). Same with Gambit.

They should just do a Sony deal where they keep rights and incorporate Deadpool into the MCU. Marvel get to reboot the X Men within their continuity (Deadpool works as is), and then use the characters in their cross over movies, Fox get the profit.

Logan can provide the old X Men series a swan song.

I'm fine with Logan being the end of the xmen franchise on film for me. I was always planning on dropping it when singer left. A shame apocalypse was so middling. The last few minutes of dofp should have been his end for these characters. That was so good.

overall I think looking at the series as x1, 2, dofp and Logan (hopefully this is as good as the trailer implies) gives you a really fucking good arc between wolverine and xavier. Like best arc/character dynamic of the genre on film.

Maybe only surpassed by Bruce Wayne in Nolan's trilogy but that's about it for me.

kswiston

There's zero reason to keep the First Class crew, especially if contract negotiation makes them costly to keep on board. X-Men Apocalypse performed poorly.

JdFoX187

Banned
Shoehorning the X-Men into the MCU isn't going to do shit, other than muddy the waters even further. They just need to essentially make Deadpool the jumping off point for a new series of X-Men films. Forget this historical setting shit and just introduce the X-Men with new actors ala Colossus and NSTW. The great thing about Deadpool was how it could have tied in with the post-DoFP timeline, or it could have been its own timeline completely.

Personally, the mainline X-Men films will continue to wallow in mediocrity as long as Kinsberg is in charge.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
For who?

I don't think losing one of the biggest actresses on the planet is good for the X-Men franchise regardless of her performance

Doubt the people who watch X-Men care about her. Fassbender and McAvoy though.

I really think that they could keep a lot of momentum in the Wolverine franchise if they cast the right person as X-23. We know she's the young girl in Logan, but an older version of that character who's less experienced can serve as a good launching point for a universe reboot.

Doubt the people who watch X-Men care about her. Fassbender and McAvoy though.

You don't get the kind of pulls they do ($500 million+) by just appealing to "the people who watch X-Men". As critical as you can be of Lawrence's performances, she undoubtedly attracted a certain audience that you'll lose if you can't replace her with a similarly popular actor.

I feel like a reboot would be a mistake. I mean yeah the continuity is a mess, but they've pretty much reset and reached a point where they can just do new movies with Fassbender and McAvoy and everything will be fine.

Wait 5 years or so, let Deadpool, New Mutants, and X-Force fill the gap in that time, and then just come back with an X-Men movie set in modern day with the actors from Apocalypse. Hand-wave the lack of aging, because it doesn't really matter anyway, and move on.

Kid Ying

I think they'll keep Mcavoy for X-Force and possibly have a
F4 & X-Men crossover film :D

Despite a couple of bad movies, I really like what Fox has done with the X-Men, timeline be damned. I really don't want to see them go back to Marvel so I hope they can get things in order. I mean, Logan looks great and Deadpool was the most successful entry in the franchise to date so there's still a lot of life left in it. I didn't hate Lawrence as much as everyone else did but she's definitely not worth the money they'd have to pay to get her back.

A reboot could be cool but how would Deadpool fit into that? Best option imo is to go the Star Trek 2009 route. A soft reboot that acknowledges the past but introduces a new cast, more in line with what we expect from the comics. They could use Cable to reset the timeline and handwave any inconsistencies with a joke in Deapool 2. Get Matthew Vaughn on board and put X-23 front and center and there you go.

Marvel should watch and take notes. They'll be in the same boat after Infinity War.
Yep. Dr Strange felt like fresh air, while the more connected movies on mcu felt stale as hell for a while now. I don't think they have what it takes to keep after infinity war.

Xmen on the other hand just had Deadpool which was probably the best comic book movie ever made and Wolverine looks like it might be good. They've just recasted the whole team in Apocalypse (which it was good), so i thin they are okay.

Of McAvoy, Fassbender, and Lawrence, they could at least lose Lawrence without a problem. She was front and center for the promotion of Apocolypse and didn't really do the movies any favors. Personally I'd just keep McAvoy and go from there. Jackman would be nice, but he's probably done.

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
Bryan Singer was the only thing that made the Xmen movies good movies. They were good movies, entertaining to watch, well paced, well shot, but as actual XMEN movies their not that good. His vision of Xmen has always left me wanting, some of the character decisions he's made are just plain stupid. Such as Cyclops being a pussy, Storm being a mute, Mystique being the leader, Juggernaut being a one shot, and Magneto being too damn involved etc etc. So on the one note I like Bryan Singer but another I want to see a completely fresh take on the XMen. The end of Apocalypse where they introduce a new cast of pre pubescent Singer toys confirms it further, I'm don't want to see his vision of Xmen anymore.

Here's what I'd like to see:
- Wolverine being short, hairy, and violent as fuck. I want to see him slice a head off or two. And I don't need Wolverine to be the damn star, he's a team MEMBER not the LEADER.
- Cyclops should be a hard ass, but strong leader. Not the joke or pussy or newbie that He's been portrayed as in the past.
I could go on.. But In short I guess I want a more violent MCU style rendition of the XMen.

Oh and Jenner Lawrence sucks in the movies. I like Fassbender's but I am tired of seeing his character arc, okay we get you could be a good guy but your bad or vice versa etc etc.

Reboot the damn thing WITH a vision. Use actresses unlike the Halle Berrys and J laws of the world that can't fuck your franchise on a whim. Don't have confidence that.FOX could put it off though. Not gonna happen.

I'm absolutely for someone new besides Singer getting a shot at the franchise. Hell, Vaughn's First Class had some of the best Magneto and Xavier scenes. However, it's not just Singer that needs to go. Apocalypse was as much his fault as it was Kinberg's. It's clear that neither is interested or capable in delivering an X-Men movie that audiences want. It's also incredibly frustrating to see a comic property like X-Men focus on the same 3 white men and 1 white woman for how many movies? Especially when Lawrence is clearly not interested in doing this shit anymore. Good fucking riddance I say.

Fox got hella lucky with Deadpool and whoever is in charge of it better sit their ass down and let the writers and Reynolds just do their thing.

Also, fuck Gambit

Grinchy

Banned
Jennifer Lawrence not being in any more X-men movies is the best thing that can happen to the franchise. She's absolutely awful in them.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
If they're going to reboot the main franchise then they should completely reboot it. Right now, they're taking weird half-measures and don't want to let go of the old movies.

Corpekata

Banned
They really should just reboot it now, they can work Deadpool into it fairly easily (Meta humor, Cable being a time traveller could be used a plot excuse as for why everything's so different).

And not this soft reboot stuff, or trying to hold on to cast members from two decades ago. Let Logan be a clean break, put a pin in things. Maybe don't start with the X-men again right away, do a bunch of the other teams or w/e, things like the Legion show. Then reboot the main series. Don't do young X-Men or w/e, just do a modern day story with the main team, and flesh things out more beyond the Wolverine role.

kswiston

You don't get the kind of pulls they do ($500 million+) by just appealing to "the people who watch X-Men". As critical as you can be of Lawrence's performances, she undoubtedly attracted a certain audience that you'll lose if you can't replace her with a similarly popular actor.

If you subtract the extra $80M in China (which has the worst studio margins of any big market), X-Men Apocalypse only pulled in $50M more worldwide than The Wolverine while costing $60M more to produce (and no doubt more to market). Lawrence adds little to the franchise's appeal.

Jawmuncher

Jennifer Lawrence is inconsequential. She doesn't bring anything special to the role. They could and will have no problem recasting the role. Explanation? Well, she's a shape shifter. She's choosing to use a different face/body now. Easy.

Gambit? That was a dumb idea to begin with and they should just permanently shelve it.

Deadpool issues? Non-starter. As long as the rest of the creative team along with Reynolds are there, it doesn't matter who they get to direct. Junkie XL leaving in solidarity? No problem there. I don't remember any of the score. I do remember the OST though.

It's because they have a weird love affair with Singer. I've maintained that his X movies have all been mediocre to bad. He says he's a fan or at least, became a fan and yet it doesn't show at all in any of his movies in the series. Get him away from the property please!

I agree. Keeping Singer away would be for the best.

ReBurn

Gold Member
For who?

I don't think losing one of the biggest actresses on the planet is good for the X-Men franchise regardless of her performance

She phoned it in during Apocalypse. If she's not putting in the work there's no reason to bring her back.

I'm not sure I agree. Marvel is pretty much constantly launching some new hero. Maybe not reaching Downey Jr levels of success, but still doing very well.

Are these new heroes sustainable, though? Wolverine got 3 standalone movies since he was the most popular X-Men. I think they were thinking about a Storm spin-off and it got canned. Deadpool did well, but let's see how the 2nd one does. Otherwise, the mainline X-Men has already been rebooted and who knows how that series will go forward.

Is Ant-Man 2 going to do well? Dr. Strange 2? Black Panther 2? After Infinity War, they'll likely have to phase out the original Avengers since I can't imagine RDJ, Evans, etc. continuing to do movies (standalone films are already off the table). They'll need some new storyline and supervillain, and since everything is so connected a reboot is nearly impossible.

While they won't be lacking in ideas/inspiration, they'll be tapping into lesser-known characters so it'll be interesting to see if they keep the box-office momentum going.

Just reboot it. Get people in there who are not ashamed of the source material, toss Wolverine in his costume and make him fight a comic accurate hulk sized Juggernaut.

guek

Banned
As much as I'd love to see Marvel guide the hand of the X-men, I don't think they have the manpower for it.

The X-men are presently incompatible with the MCU. A parallel film franchise would work quite nicely and might even open up the possibility of crossovers.

But Marvel Studios can't oversea all of it. It'd be too much. At best, they'd be able to consult and give suggestions but I believe they've been doing just that for years already.

So reboot the damn thing but take your time. Tease it out. We don't need two X-men movies a year for the next decade.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Just reboot it. Get people in there who are not ashamed of the source material, toss Wolverine in his costume and make him fight a comic accurate hulk sized Juggernaut.

Yup, this. Start completely over and do it right this time. I know that's unlikely with Fox, but it's better than limping along dragging this mess behind it any longer.

Jawmuncher

Fox doesn't seem to know what they want to do with X-men films for the long term

Once they are actually done with Hugh Jackman as Wolverine. I can see them rebooting it.
I honestly think he's the only reason they haven't yet. Deadpools 4th wall shenanigans they could just write off.

"The entire cast sure is looking different from the last time I saw them....oh yeah we're in a reboot. Thankfully I made the cut".

Honestly I thought they already were going to reboot it after this new Wolverine came out. I felt like they've just been trying to find a way to

Slayven

I can shit on Gambit? I needed this today

Who the fuck looked at him and thought 150 mill budget was a good idea?

Sesha

The same industry that thought a $100m Ben Hur remake and a $140m Egyptian mythology scifi/fantasy action film were good ideas.

kswiston

It probably seemed like a good idea for those 30 minutes that Tatum was huge. Then White House Down and Jupiter Ascending came out.

Slayven

The same industry that thought a $100m Ben Hur remake and a $140m Egyptian mythology scifi/fantasy action film were good ideas.
Gods of Egypt looked like a 250 dollars and dad let me borrow his Go Pro film.
It probably seemed like a good idea for those 30 minutes that Tatum was huge. Then White House Down and Jupiter Ascending came out.

That was so long ago and felt like they announced Gambit beginning this year

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
They should just hard reboot the MUCU, start with new mutants with a completely new cast and build from there. Give gambit a cameo and see if he sticks, same with cable, havok, and Rachel grey. give references to hodge, Essex and stryker, and allude that different teams are off doing different missions. Make Scott a strong lead for once, and if using mystique, play up the out for herself angle. You would think with all the characters at their disposal the movies wouldn't look like the characters are in by a game of chance

Slayven

They need someone with vision to over see everything. Plan the work and Work the plan.

People might not like it, but Feige being the final word has a lot to do with Marvel's success

Me. I did thought it was a good idea, dammit. From a financial perspective? It's stupid as fuck. But a $150M Gambit movie directed by Doug Liman is the stuff my perverse dreams are made of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom