• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fox's X-Men Issues: Lawrence Unsigned, 'Deadpool' Defections, 'Gambit' on Hold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roman

I can shit on Gambit? I needed this today

Who the fuck looked at him and thought 150 mill budget was a good idea?

I'd rather see Fantomex, to be honest, if we have to endure a faux French accent.

However, it would obviously be much better as part of a team. X-Force could turn out to be hilarious.

If he wants to be a superhero so badly he should just go over to a marvel or dc property now.

He's been trying to get Gambit off the ground for a year or two now and multiple directors being offered who don't give a shit either. Hell wasn't Doug Liman attached to it?...and now all of a sudden WB announce he's making Justice League Dark instead lol.

anyways Tatum is all good, got Soderbergh behind him so he's not gonna be devoid of interesting projects. that Logan Lucky movie sounds dope.

If he wants to be a superhero so badly he should just go over to a marvel or dc property now.

He's been trying to get Gambit off the ground for a year or two now and multiple directors being offered who don't give a shit either. Hell wasn't Doug Liman attached to it?...and now all of a sudden WB announce he's making Justice League Dark instead lol.

anyways Tatum is all good, got Soderbergh behind him so he's not gonna be devoid of interesting projects. that Logan Lucky movie sounds dope.
Shazam!

Tatum and Dwayne Johnson are the Captain Marvel / Black Adam combo we need.
That guy from Walking Dead and Blade 2 should be Gambit.

edit: beaten!

Shazam or Booster Gold are the picks everybody wants Tatum to be. He's fun when playing those types of characters.

For the mainline X-Men movies, if Tim Miller's departure came down to wanting to make a big budget blockbuster, why not simply move him to that? And seriously stop letting Simon Kinberg write the scripts.

Will Adam Teth and Billy bastion stop fighting because their mom's have the same name?

They won't even start fighting in the first place. Black Adam is a good guy, everybody knows that.
And his mother's name is Martha. A very common name in ancient Kahndaq.

Maybe what the Gambit movie needs is actually more Singer. Just do a more low key movie with a character that shares a name and power set with the character from the comics and then changes almost everything else. Remake The Usual Suspects with Gambit as the Gabriel Byrne character and a grab bag of C-lister mutants in a heist gone wrong movie. Or he's the Harvey Keitel character in a Reservoir Dogs remake. Whatever. Gambit isn't a particularly likeable character, so I think their best bet is to play up the "bad guy with a code" angle and mix him into a group of people that are even less likeable. Byrne and Keitel were shits in those movies, but they end up being the guys you root for because everyone else is an even bigger dick.

And give him as few lines of dialogue as possible.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Maybe what the Gambit movie needs is actually more Singer. Just do a more low key movie with a character that shares a name and power set with the character from the comics and then changes almost everything else. Remake The Usual Suspects with Gambit as the Gabriel Byrne character and a grab bag of C-lister mutants in a heist gone wrong movie. Or he's the Harvey Keitel character in a Reservoir Dogs remake. Whatever. Gambit isn't a particularly likeable character, so I think their best bet is to play up the "bad guy with a code" angle and mix him into a group of people that are even less likeable. Byrne and Keitel were shits in those movies, but they end up being the guys you root for because everyone else is an even bigger dick.

You lost me at singer. That's the last thing he needs.

If it's Singer it should be inspired by All Is Lost so it can really play to his strengths.

the harvey keitel idea is pretty dope actually.

but nah it's just gonna be comic book movie #36 where he explodes the shit out of everybody in his path in the last 30 minutes. and he's gonna be endlessly quippy

kswiston

All of it. In 1993.

I suppose he might have made a top 5 popularity poll for x-characters around then, but even in the late 80s-early 90s it was Wolverine >>>>>>>>>> everyone else. Just look at the various attempts at solo ongoings for x-characters not named Wolverine. Gambit has a much worse track record than Cable for instance.

That trailer for The Logan of Us was really good, so I'm not surprised to see the buzz around it be very positive.

I'd like to see McAvoy and Fassbender back as I thought they were both excellent in First Class and Days of Future Past (haven't seen Apocalypse), but couldn't really care less about the Mystique character (regardless of whether Lawrence is on board or not), and it seems like you could recast Beast easily enough by caking the actor in make-up if Hoult is too expensive. Either that or scrap the whole Xavier/Magneto angle and concentrate on younger/newer mutants. I assume the actors who played Storm, Jean, Cyclops etc are all on multi-picture contracts?

I suppose he might have made a top 5 popularity poll for x-characters around then, but even in the late 80s-early 90s it was Wolverine >>>>>>>>>> everyone else. Just look at the various attempts at solo ongoings for x-characters not named Wolverine. Gambit has a much worse track record than Cable for instance.

Oh, I know. It never made any sense for Fox to be pursuing a big budget Gambit movie but I just loved the absurdity of such a project. But to be fair, if Deadpool can make more money than Wolverine / the X-Men and an Ant-Man movie can be successful, anything is possible. Personally, I'm just addicted to Gambit's (and Claremont's) broken french.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom