• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Free USB-XBOX cable (use your USB memory sticks as memory cards)

joaomgcd

Microsoft is giving away USB to XBOX adapters. I just got one from lik-sang (since I don't live in America) and it's great! I have a bunch of 32 MB USB Memory Sticks lying around that I didn't really use, and I just plugged them in, and the Xbox recognized them as normal memory cards... Only with about 2000 blocks instead of the default 500! :D This is a great deal if you ask me.

You can find out if a Memory stick is not compatible with an unmodded XBOX here . There are also some supported memory sticks listed there. Mine weren't listed but they worked anyway!

Anyway, here is the link for the free cable from microsoft.

And here is the link from lik-sang.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
If you didn't feel like waiting or paying for shipping, you could make one of these easily enough by splicing a female-end USB cable into an X-Box controller dongle (which you can find for about 3 bucks).

joaomgcd

The cable has a female USB plug at one end, and a XBOX plug at the other end. You plug it into the Xbox controller port, plug a memory stick at the other end, and the Xbox recognizes it as a memory card with as much blocks as your memory stick has. I have a 32MB memory stick, so it recognizes it as a 2000 block memory card.

I don't know about the KOTOR saves, cause I don't own that game, sorry.

I can't change my country of residence to Canada, which means I can't select my province. Can anyone help, as the website says this offer is good in Canada?

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
You can make one of these in minutes. Think I might.

jedimike

Will the Xbox recognize thumb drives? I have some 512MB thumb drives I can use. Would be great... especially for transferring files on modded xbox.

Mason

Does this have any use whatsoever for people running Linux or anything like that? I plan on modding my Xbox someday.

Mason said:
This was announced back when PSO came out, but I think you had to pay for it or something.
yup... i got two of them back when PSO was released... $6.95 shipping EACH

and they aren't USB cables like the ones on Lik-Sang... they are little adapters that plug into the controller's expansion slot 1 or 2 like memory cards or the live communicator do... the USB plug end sticks about 1 inch from the controller...

joaomgcd

The faceless master, but these adapters also work with memory sticks, right? The Xbox controller is just a USB hub, IIRC...

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Hmm, it almost seems like MS is preparing people for an external storage solution for the Xbox 2 ahead of time (which is good). Very interesting. I know I'm probably reading into it too much but I think this gives some credibility to the rumors of a separate harddrive (or an alternate storage solution such as a memory stick) being the standard for the Xbox 2. I like this idea because it means you can easily transfer saves back and forth from the PC and you can also download other people's saves from the internet.

Just a little backgruond info on using Thumdrives as memory cards for XBox. Here's an old post from a thread in another from I'm active in. I'm a fan of the MegaXKey, and not the Actrion Replay, you get more bang for your buck and the saves are compatible:

"Apparently not all pen drives are compatible with the Xbox. The MXK works with the keyboard adapter. From another post, the Heisei 256MB from newegg is Xbox compatible, though the MXK software doesn't support anything larger than 32MB. This is pulled from the Mega X-key Support forum.
After a little web research, I have found out that the Fujifilm USB Flash Drive is in fact using the M-Systems' DiskOnKey USB Drive technology.

Other manufacturers list on M-System's site as North American technology partners are:

Compaq HP Iomega IBM Reptron

Other partners listed worldwide include:

Verbatim (Store 'n' Go) UK/Ireland I-O Data (EasyDisk) Japan Acer Europe CMS Peripherals (disgo) Europe X
Check out their website for a full list in your part of the world: http://www.diskonkey.com/where.asp"

So basically your mileage may vary depending on what type of USB thumbdrive you're using. Also keep in mind some saves just can't be copied to a memery card (i.e. PSO, KotoR, DOA3). UNLESS your XBox is modded then you grab a utility that allows you to transfer them to your thumbdrive or PC. Details can be found at MegaXKey.com or XBoxsaves.com.

JC10001 said:
Hmm, it almost seems like MS is preparing people for an external storage solution for the Xbox 2 ahead of time (which is good). Very interesting. I know I'm probably reading into it too much but I think this gives some credibility to the rumors of a separate harddrive (or an alternate storage solution such as a memory stick) being the standard for the Xbox 2. I like this idea because it means you can easily transfer saves back and forth from the PC and you can also download other people's saves from the internet.
talk about distorting the facts...
they are for connecting a USB Keyboard for PSO...
they just happen to work with some other USB devices because of the way the controllers are set up...

Top Bottom