• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

From Software early history and Kings Field retrospective

I dont normally post videos, but as a From Soft fan, this was too juicy to not share.

The first few minutes go into the early history of From Soft, which I was completely unaware of, and then it goes into a retrospective of the Kings Field games - games which, if you enjoy the Souls games, I highly recommend playing. Much of the 'je ne se quio' of the souls formula was crafted in the early days of the ps1, and Kings Field 2 did fast travel better than any game that has come out since (in my humble opinion)

Its one of those long retrospectives, which may not be to your taste, but the first seven minutes are a wonderful trip down From Softs early history.

Hudo

I'd really love to try out King's Field 2 and 3. 4 looks a bit like a chore to play with how much slower it is and 1 is a bit too barebones for me.

In fact, it would be really cool if From would make a new King's Field game.

Last edited:

Doom_master1122

Neo Member
I sat through the series shortly after Dark souls 2's release. King's Field is a very enjoyable series, however you really need to be able to enjoy older games. They feel clunky, the graphics have not aged well in the slightest.
I've had no nostalgia for the game and found them completely enjoyable.

The first game, which was Japan exclusive, was a great introduction, played well, didn't overstay its welcome.
KF2 (The first game for the west), was a huge step up and I would say is my favorite in the series. Pacing, exploration, and gameplay was exactly where it needed to be.
KF3 was a complete disaster. Pacing and design of the game was awful. Many sections of the game actively works against the player and becomes unfun. Not to mention the SLOW DOWN. Enjoy 15FPS
KF4 was a welcome return to form and I would place it probably my second favorite in the series. Excellent game.

I would love to see a return of this series but unfortunately From Software will probably never return to this series.

If anyone is curious, look into a game called Monomyth on steam. It's a nice blending between the souls games and King's field, but not made by From Software. I look forward to its full release as the demo impressed me

Hestar69

KF 2 (USA) is top 3 all time for me!.

I Actually been watching this off and on last few days now.

I've only gotten about half way through KF1 US (rented from blockbuster back in the day) I need to finally beat it and the japan Kf1 that i have on duckstation.

I would pay 70 for a collection of the ps1-2 games..shit,I'd pay 100

An eventual King's Field remake/reboot kinda seems like a no-brainer. I'll take a "spiritual successor" as well, I really want to see what From would make with current gen tech.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I skimmed but it doesn't seem to mention Sword of Moonlight, the game maker tool From released for PC complete with a King's Field remake.

Here are some indies that may scratch the itch (in order of King's Fieldness).

Last edited:

trikster40

Of any game series that I would love to see a remake, Kings Field is it. Remake all of them in one package, I'd drop $200 on it.

I sat through the series shortly after Dark souls 2's release. King's Field is a very enjoyable series, however you really need to be able to enjoy older games. They feel clunky, the graphics have not aged well in the slightest.
I've had no nostalgia for the game and found them completely enjoyable.

The first game, which was Japan exclusive, was a great introduction, played well, didn't overstay its welcome.
KF2 (The first game for the west), was a huge step up and I would say is my favorite in the series. Pacing, exploration, and gameplay was exactly where it needed to be.
KF3 was a complete disaster. Pacing and design of the game was awful. Many sections of the game actively works against the player and becomes unfun. Not to mention the SLOW DOWN. Enjoy 15FPS
KF4 was a welcome return to form and I would place it probably my second favorite in the series. Excellent game.

I would love to see a return of this series but unfortunately From Software will probably never return to this series.

If anyone is curious, look into a game called Monomyth on steam. It's a nice blending between the souls games and King's field, but not made by From Software. I look forward to its full release as the demo impressed me
I agree regarding kf2: I absolutely loved mapping everything out in my head. The world design reminded me a lot of dark souls 1: like a big, 3 dimensional interconnected prism. Memorizing everything while exploring was an absolute joy. I tried kf3 and got a bit into it but it seems much more flat, which I found to be underwhelming.

Comandr

Finished this video today. All of Majuular's videos are great. This really gave me a lot of insight into From that I didn't have before; you can really really see the influences from the old games in their newer stuff.

peronmls

Kings Field is just not worth playing at all. It should of had more substance being on PS2 compared to their other titles. Way to bare. That being said a remake would be great.

I dont normally post videos, but as a From Soft fan, this was too juicy to not share.

The first few minutes go into the early history of From Soft, which I was completely unaware of, and then it goes into a retrospective of the Kings Field games - games which, if you enjoy the Souls games, I highly recommend playing. Much of the 'je ne se quio' of the souls formula was crafted in the early days of the ps1, and Kings Field 2 did fast travel better than any game that has come out since (in my humble opinion)

Its one of those long retrospectives, which may not be to your taste, but the first seven minutes are a wonderful trip down From Softs early history.

Great video, really has me wanting to try out King's Field II.

I skimmed but it doesn't seem to mention Sword of Moonlight, the game maker tool From released for PC complete with a King's Field remake.

Here are some indies that may scratch the itch (in order of King's Fieldness).

It does actually mention Sword of Moonlight.

Will check this out. I've seen AesirAesthetic's FROM videos on the King's Field series and they're really well done, but I'm always open to seeing more, hopefully at a similar level of quality and insight.

BTW, didn't Miyazaki say that he doesn't want to do another Kings Field (or even remake the previous ones), as he believes the series is Naotoshi Zin's child?

In any case, another first person RPG by them would be great.

A new King's Field with VR support could be insanely cool.

Would love to see these come to pc. Would be amazing

I mean, you can already play them on an emulator, or get the old games for relatively cheap on PS1 & PS2 and play them via BC on a fat PS3 that has all the BC hardware in it. Plenty of options already.

Don't think FromSoft would be interested in bringing these out on PC or modern consoles as a new release unless it were a budget-priced remaster compilation for the original King's Field games, or if they decided to do a remake for each of them. The latter doesn't seem realistic though when they have Dark Souls and Elden Ring already.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Will check this out. I've seen AesirAesthetic's FROM videos on the King's Field series and they're really well done, but I'm always open to seeing more, hopefully at a similar level of quality and insight.

A new King's Field with VR support could be insanely cool.

I mean, you can already play them on an emulator, or get the old games for relatively cheap on PS1 & PS2 and play them via BC on a fat PS3 that has all the BC hardware in it. Plenty of options already.

Don't think FromSoft would be interested in bringing these out on PC or modern consoles as a new release unless it were a budget-priced remaster compilation for the original King's Field games, or if they decided to do a remake for each of them. The latter doesn't seem realistic though when they have Dark Souls and Elden Ring already.
Can you mod the emulated ones? It would be nice to add the dual stick in and increase the draw distance, especially on the older ones

Top Bottom