• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

-= Front Mission: The Official Thread – THE POWER OUTPUT IS TOO HIGH! =-

B.K.

Tom_Cody said:
Being the first game in the series, I wasn't expecting it to be as polished as FM3, but this just feels primitive by comparison.

What were you expecting? It's a SNES game. Of course it's going to be more primitive compared to later games in the series.

Tom_Cody

B.K. said:
What were you expecting? It's a SNES game. Of course it's going to be more primitive compared to later games in the series.

I expected it to not be unbalanced in the specific ways I mentioned in my post.

Tom_Cody said:
I expected it to not be unbalanced in the specific ways I mentioned in my post.

I agree with points one and three, somewhat. Flamethrowers are basically pointless, but the other weapons have definate uses.

Melee-> Early game is critical since it hits the body regularly.
Shotguns-> High accuracy, early in the game shotguns are great for the percision (read: Duel) wanzers.
Rifles-> Highest single hit damage, lowest accuracy
Machine gun -> Multi hit

Part two will get resolved pretty shortly into the game.

Part three, more information would be good. I generally end up rolling the dice, and deploying a couple of wanzers set up to tank and chaffed into the front. Generally works well enough.

Tom_Cody

electricpirate said:
I love how the game slowly ramps up the strategy required. Early on you can spam missles, but as you get farther the weight reqs prevent it. As you get more skills the handed weapons become more important. As you get building wanzers with roles becomes more and more important. This game does an amazing job of ramping into the strategy, without doing so obtrusively, holding your hand too much, or long tutorials.
electricpirate said:
Part two will get resolved pretty shortly into the game.

Oh, I guess I should have read your post more closely. I'm glad to hear that one of my major concerns gets cleared up.

batbeg

I bought this today. Saw it at a store for £25, thought "Hey cool, it's finally out in the UK?" Only later realized it was an import and I basically got ripped off on the price, but oh well. I was expecting it to be closer to FM3 (<3) as I knew this was a port of a PSX "remake", but I'm not too bothered. The presentation definitely feels very SNES-like, and there's a huge number of design choices that already have me pulling out my hair at about 5 hours in, and even a few bugs I've noticed (nothing major, but damn was this ever a sloppy job).

Still, it's really fun so far, and I'll no doubt jump into FM3 again after I beat it. May import FM4 sometime soon so I can play that one as well.

batbeg

Danj said:
I wonder if that new Front Mission 2089 will get localized.

This guy seems to think it's possible:

jesusraz said:
S-E Europe is still mulling over the idea of bringing the first FM DS to PAL territories, since despite the low US sales the series hasn't had a chance in Europe since Front Mission 3, and that was only a GAME exclusive in the UK, so didn't exactly have much of a chance. When asked, I was told it's a stronger case of FM 2089: BoM coming to US/PAL, though...

...not that I really know who they are, but they have cubed3 as their homepage. Be nice if so, though. More Front Mission would be greatly appreciated.

jesusraz

Apparently the European office is in two minds about pushing the Front Mission series over here, for some reason. They've probably looked at the recent low Japanese sales and the poor performance of Front Mission 1st DS in the US, sadly...But I told them they need to consider how the only entry that's made it here so far is Front Mission 3 and even that was only a limited GAME-only release, so is hardly indicative of how well it COULD perform.

Front Mission 1st IS still being considered, but with the new game already out in Japan (anyone got impressions yet?) I was told it's probably more likely that will be translated, and with the new efforts to bring games simultaneously to US/Europe/Aus, chances are we won't miss out this time round.

Danj

jesusraz said:
Front Mission 1st IS still being considered, but with the new game already out in Japan (anyone got impressions yet?) I was told it's probably more likely that will be translated, and with the new efforts to bring games simultaneously to US/Europe/Aus, chances are we won't miss out this time round.

Sweet.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Still playing through this one, on mission 22 or so, think I'm nearing the end... love the wanzer customization and min/maxing elements, as well as the graphics (colorful SNES sprites!) and music. Definitely worth playing, I've seen the game for $20 and I enjoy it. Not sure if I'm gonna go through the UCS missions right away after I beat OCU.

djtiesto said:
Still playing through this one, on mission 22 or so, think I'm nearing the end... love the wanzer customization and min/maxing elements, as well as the graphics (colorful SNES sprites!) and music. Definitely worth playing, I've seen the game for $20 and I enjoy it. Not sure if I'm gonna go through the UCS missions right away after I beat OCU.

Me too. I'm on Mission 26. It's pretty fun, but obviously nowhere near as good as FM3 and FM4.

Yaweee

The initial campaign is just too damn repetitive and easy, making it one of the most boring SRPGs I've played in a very, very long time. Then, cake it with an out of date interface and time-consuming and too frequent mech-customization, uggghhh.

There's a reason why it didn't sell very well.

Hive

Banned
cpro said:
The initial campaign is just too damn repetitive and easy, making it one of the most boring SRPGs I've played in a very, very long time. Then, cake it with an out of date interface and time-consuming and too frequent mech-customization, uggghhh.

I can see your gripes. But this might not be your type of game anyways, correct? Customization is quite fun in this game.

Anyone who is reading this, do NOT hesitate to support Front Mission. Each game is unique in its own right, and Front Mission 1st is no exception. Some will say it's easy, but that is not the case in comparison to other Front Missions (3, 4, and 5). There will be plenty of times when strategy is vital, which provides a variety of ways to take down the enemy.

There is also a lot of added extra content, some of which connects it to FM5. Love this game, and hopefully Border of Madness will be localized into English soon.

cpro said:

Yeah, I was extremely disappointed with it. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but the battles seem to play out the same way. Customizing my mechs just wasn't fun enough to make me play through this.

Hive said:
Love this game, and hopefully Border of Madness will be localized into English soon.
PS3 neeeeeds a Front Mission title. Needs. With added online play and boosted visuals, it could handily be a comparable cult hit to Disgaea on the PS2.

Yaweee

Hive said:
I can see your gripes. But this might not be your type of game anyways, correct? Customization is quite fun in this game.

Anyone who is reading this, do NOT hesitate to support Front Mission. Each game is unique in its own right, and Front Mission 1st is no exception. Some will say it's easy, but that is not the case in comparison to other Front Missions (3, 4, and 5). There will be plenty of times when strategy is vital, which provides a variety of ways to take down the enemy.

There is also a lot of added extra content, some of which connects it to FM5. Love this game, and hopefully Border of Madness will be localized into English soon.

No, SRPGs are my type of game. Grew up playing them, still play them today. Fuck, I even played through Eternal Eyes.

Front Mission 3 is easily the best of the FMs released in the US, followed by the tepid FM4.

This is definitely one of the easiest SRPGs out there, and there are very few battles that require anything resembling a change in strategy.

Keep Royd back a bit, missiles when out of range, machine guns once possible. Honestly, machine guns kill enemies in a single attack 95% of the time after the halfway point.

The second campaign is a definite step up, but it still suffers from the same basic menu too much customization problems as the first.

cpro said:

Yeah, this was my problem with the game as well. After playing and loving the PS and PS2 Front Missions I bought this hoping it could capture some of the excitement of the other FM's but the beginning of the game was so dull. I'll try it again at some later date and maybe it will grow on me.

I really wish Front Mission 4 and 5 were released here in PAL land. I really liked FM3 even though I found the story pretty boring, to bad they never made another game with pseudo-internet built into it.

Hive

Banned
cpro said:
No, SRPGs are my type of game. Grew up playing them, still play them today. Fuck, I even played through Eternal Eyes.

Front Mission 3 is easily the best of the FMs released in the US, followed by the tepid FM4.

This is definitely one of the easiest SRPGs out there, and there are very few battles that require anything resembling a change in strategy.

Keep Royd back a bit, missiles when out of range, machine guns once possible. Honestly, machine guns kill enemies in a single attack 95% of the time after the halfway point.

The second campaign is a definite step up, but it still suffers from the same basic menu too much customization problems as the first.

You're right about those points. I wish it was a little harder at some points too~
Did you happen to defeat Driscoll the first time he shows up in a battle?? I tried, but didn't have enough missiles. hehe ^o^

batbeg

Normally I feel like I'm quite good at SRPGs, and everyone talking about it being easy just makes me ashamed, because I keep getting my ass handed to me badly, and I'm only on like the 5th or 6th mission I think. I don't want to spam missiles because it's so unrewarding, but it feels like that's the only way for me to win at this stage :-\

Freak

PS3 neeeeeds a Front Mission title. Needs. With added online play and boosted visuals

You got that right :D I doubt it would ever happen.. But i can live in the hope that someday it might happen... Please, Please, Please, Please, Please.....

Symytry

I loved FM in 1995, and I loved it all over again last year. I played through both campaigns completely (I'd never gone through the PSX campaign previously) and I'd do it again if I had the time.

That said, an announcement about 2089 can't come soon enough!

Hive

Banned
batbeg said:
Normally I feel like I'm quite good at SRPGs, and everyone talking about it being easy just makes me ashamed, because I keep getting my ass handed to me badly, and I'm only on like the 5th or 6th mission I think. I don't want to spam missiles because it's so unrewarding, but it feels like that's the only way for me to win at this stage :-\

don't worry, i'm in the same boat as you. It provides just the right amount of difficulty for me, and is slightly harder than FM3, imo

Hive

Banned
has anybody been able to try the unlocked difficulty settings? It really does get hard! Of course, it all depends on how much you're willing to play. hehe

Unlock New Difficulty Settings
(game must be saved after credits)
x0.8 and x1.2 difficulties: beat the game once
x0.5 (overrides x0.8) and x1.5 difficulties: beat the game twice
x2.0 difficulty: beat the game three times
x5.0 difficulty: beat the game four times
x10.0 difficulty: beat the game five times

Hive

Banned
jesusraz said:
o_O *Gulp!* Don't think I could cope with those...but it's good for die-hard fans!

You got to try Border of Madness, right? I'm wondering how the challenge is in that title~

jesusraz

Hive said:
You got to try Border of Madness, right? I'm wondering how the challenge is in that title~
Didn't have time to play it long, but seemed pretty straightforward from the first two hours I put into it...Obviously that's barely scratching the surface, so it's nowhere near a proper evaluation. My plan was to go back to it later when S-E announced a Western date. Sadly I'm started to doubt it will ever come, despite assurances it would hit the US and Europe :(

Top Bottom