• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

-= Front Mission: The Official Thread – THE POWER OUTPUT IS TOO HIGH! =-

Pellham

Banned
I remember when Front Mission was japan-only, still surprises me that this series even came out here.

Anyway, as a Front Mission fan I am definately picking this up at some point.

Symytry

Pellham said:
I remember when Front Mission was japan-only, still surprises me that this series even came out here.

Anyway, as a Front Mission fan I am definately picking this up at some point.

some point, being tomorrow? :D

Tiktaalik

DXMachina said:
As much as I want this game, I don't know if I can handle another SRPG along with Tactics right now.

Me as well... Hell I have FFTactics still wrapped on the shelf while I finish up Jeanne D'Arc. :lol

That's definitely not a good sign.

Beavertown

Garbage
Anyone get a hold of this yet? Looks like I'll have to wait till the morrow.

I'm so pumped for this, I've been replaying FM4, as I never finished it. It's really not that bad of a game and I'm enjoying it more this time.

Danj

I don't suppose this is coming to Europe? Failing that, does anyone know a US online store that ships DS games to Europe? (not videogamesplus, their prices suck because of the Canadian Dollar).

Prospero

My local Gamestop only got in one copy, which was a pre-order, and the UPS truck full of goodies was late to Best Buy, so no deal. I'm hoping to score one tomorrow.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
I was just swayed towards getting this when i remembered I hadn't gotten FFT for the psp yet. So, is the PSP version different enough from the original, to warrant getting it over Front Mission?

Oh, and any word on touch controls? I've been disappointed with some of Square's touch screen implementation.

Oh again, is the story more character based or world based?

Enjoyed playing partially through the SNES translation via my PDA back when and planned to get it if it ever became formally available here. Have DS, will have Front Mission....probably within the week.

Add: and FM3 is an all-time PS1 favorite

I want to pick this up but I'm knee deep in Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions at the moment, Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker is coming out soon in a few short weeks and I am kind of broke.

As much as I'd like to support this series I have little money and less time.

Jirotrom said:
they could just import 5 and do the simple mod that the ps2 requires:p

I'd love to import Front Mission 5, especially since I wouldn't be adverse to modding my PSTwo because I now own a PS3 and don't have to worry about mucking up the hardware and not being able to play my games or whatever but I cannot read Japanese. I'm sure I could muddle my way through the game well enough but I'd be completely missing out on the story. I'm sure there's some translation FAQ's kicking around out there but that just kind of sucks the fun out of it all.

I would love it if Atlus picked up the game for localisation here in North America, but Squenix would probably cock block any such attempt for no damn good reason whatsoever.

As much as it might raise the hackles of some but I wouldn't mind getting a Wii port of Front Mission 5 here in NA because then we'd at least be getting it. As more time passes that seems to be the only realistic hope. I'd much rather have the PS2 version because then it wouldn't have tacked on features but I'll take what I can get.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
GreenGlowingGoo said:
I was just swayed towards getting this when i remembered I hadn't gotten FFT for the psp yet. So, is the PSP version different enough from the original, to warrant getting it over Front Mission?

Oh, and any word on touch controls? I've been disappointed with some of Square's touch screen implementation.

Oh again, is the story more character based or world based?
Definitely worth it if you've played FFT already and haven't played this. The story is character based from what I know, you play OCU characters and the enemy is the UCN, and you can switch the standard controls and not worry about the touch-screen controls.

Wanted to get it but my eb store didnt have it in. Its in Toronto and according to their registry it supposed to be released tomorrow.

So i picked up phoenix wright (they just got it today), god hand and persona 3(last copy).

yes gaf i know i am late.

Edit: thats the one of the games i need to get not to mention 6 (pulled it out of thin air) more games that are comming out before the end of the year and 3 more games i missed out over the course of the summer/spring.

Beavertown

Garbage
Played through the first few missions, and so far, it's pretty damn awesome.

-graphics are nice and clean
-the bottom screen shows the map and units and you can move them with the stylus or standard controls via the d-pad, both work great.
-top screen displays unit and terrain info and switches to a zoomed in animation for attacks which are a bit reminiscent of the SRW OG games.
-there are 2 campaigns, one is the O.C.W the other is the more difficult E.C.S.
-story and translation are top notch, if not a bit unintentionally comical, and they seemed to have left in that familiar SNES era feeling of games, it's almost like a flashback to the better days of gaming, or maybe just nostalgia, but I like it.

Overall, great game with a lot of content for a portable and well worth the price of admission.

Amir0x said:
man that Japanese coverart is awesome
Holds up well alongside the original incarnations from Amano.

fm-gh-a.jpg
fm-1st-a.jpg
fm-1-b.jpg

fm-1st-b.jpg
fm-1-a.jpg

angelfly

Prospero said:
Okay--I've been calling to stores on and off all day, and I can't find this anywhere. What gives.

Fans probably snatched them all up on day one. Either that or store didn't order that many.

Tabris

I'm conflicted...

Do I pick this game up, get hooked into the series like I did from FM3/4 and then realize the jerks at SE won't release FM5 so get disappointed again?

...or just forget about the series so I don't need to be disappointed that I can't play FM5.

Bebpo

Banned
Tabris said:
I'm conflicted...

Do I pick this game up, get hooked into the series like I did from FM3/4 and then realize the jerks at SE won't release FM5 so get disappointed again?

...or just forget about the series so I don't need to be disappointed that I can't play FM5.

If this sells a million copies they'd probably bring over FM5.

Prospero

angelfly said:
Fans probably snatched them all up on day one. Either that or store didn't order that many.

I'm hearing it's more that stores didn't order them, or that they're "on the way" with an unspecified ETA.

I did just find one at a GS that the clerk put aside for me, so I'll be beating up giant robots and obsessing over statistics by this evening.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
This game is still awesome. I like how it supports local wireless play, but slightly disappointed because it's only that coliseum duel thing.

Been a while since I played this last - does anyone remember if the melee in this game is like FM4 in that melee attacks are stronger the lower your weight to power ratio is?

Also, what exactly influence a wanzer's dodge stat (not the pilot's dodge stat, the wanzer's dodge stat that you can see on the wanzer setup screen). It has something to do with power and weight since it changes when I equip and de-equip stuff but I'm not sure if there is another variable I'm missing.

I see that weight influences the wanzer's move stat...are there any other wanzer stat nuances I'm forgetting about/missing?

I hope my local gamestop still has copy's by tomorrow. I really want this game, I haven't gotten a new DS game since Pokemon Pearl Launch.

Jcgamer60

I've been playing for an hour now and this game is surprisingly pretty good. This is my first Front Mission game, and so far i'm enjoying it.

bryehn

Fired this up today. Looks awesome, and I've never played a Front Mission game so I guess it's a good place to start :)

It's pretty much going directly to backlog status though. I've been buying so much lately it's hard to keep up. I'm still working on Jeanne D'Arc and that's been out almost two months now :p

Jcgamer60

I'm getting an advance wars vibe from this game, only with more rpg elements. Although, its more simplistic than Advance Wars, i still enjoy it. Personally, i suck in Advance Wars mainly due to me not being able to remember what is stong/weak against what.

I also find myself somewhat intriged by the story. Advance Wars never did that for me.

Saitou

Banned
Jcgamer60 said:
I'm getting an advance wars vibe from this game, only with more rpg elements. Although, its more simplistic than Advance Wars, i still enjoy it. Personally, i suck in Advance Wars mainly due to me not being able to remember what is stong/weak against what.

I also find myself somewhat intriged by the story. Advance Wars never did that for me.
wat

Sallokin

I'm amped to give this one a go. Picked it up today. Just need to finish the last two or so hours of Phantom Hourglass.

Regarding the apparent shortages, is this a result of people snatching up copies or a case of undershipping? I know my store only got 2-3 copies.

Vard

I read the GameSpy review... sounds pretty good. There are so many games coming out in the near future that I want though; I'm going to have pass on this one for now. : (

Symytry

EB Canada blows. They didn't get Front Mission OR Castlevania today, and gave me an estimated date of October 31st?! WTF!

Prospero

DeaconKnowledge said:
I'm debating getting this, Fire Emblem or Panzer Tactics DS. How scarce is this game?

As scarce as this looks right now, it's still a Square Enix game. But Panzer Tactics is distributed by Atlus, and it's a hex-based WWII wargame that clearly values gameplay over graphics. That'll be the hard one to find.

BlackWaltz

lotta black folks here
Symytry said:
EB Canada blows. They didn't get Front Mission OR Castlevania today, and gave me an estimated date of October 31st?! WTF!

I got the same bullshit from EB as far as Front Mission, but I was able to grab it from WalMart, looked like they had tons of copies at my local one.

Top Bottom