• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frontline: 'Divided States of America' premieres 1/17, 1/18 @ 9-11pm EST on PBS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Official 'Divided' Site <=watch online for free here, or at PBS.org

Youtube Links
Trailer (0:30)
Full Trailer (1:32)
Clip: How "Obamacare" Became a Symbol of America's Divide (6:16)
Clip: Romney's Loss, a Trump Tweetstorm, and a Telling Trademark (2:03)

Supplemental Materials
fIjBWUe.jpg

Oral History: The Opposition Strategy

CluVHE0.jpg

Oral History: Race in the Obama Era

4wf8DDM.jpg

Oral History: Trump Vs. the GOP

tEdy5vd.jpg

The FRONTLINE Interviews: 'Divided States of America'

Press Release:
BEVERLY HILLS, CA; July 28, 2016 &#8212; Days before the inauguration of the 45th American president in January 2017, FRONTLINE will premiere DIVIDED STATES OF AMERICA, a four-hour, two-night documentary miniseries that looks back at events during the Obama presidency that have revealed deep divisions in our country, and examines the America the next president will inherit. Offering an in-depth view of the partisanship that gridlocked Washington and charged the 2016 presidential campaign, the rise of populist anger on both sides of the aisle and the racial tensions that have erupted throughout the country, DIVIDED STATES airs Tuesday-Wednesday, January 17-18, 2017, 9-11pm EST (check local listings).

Drawing on extensive new interviews with White House and Congressional insiders from both parties, as well as FRONTLINE's vast body of reporting on the Obama era, DIVIDED STATES digs into the causes of America's intense polarization and questions how the next president and Congress can govern in an era of complex challenges. This television event, led by veteran FRONTLINE filmmaker Michael Kirk and his team, tells a revealing story that's not just about Barack Obama's presidency, but about America itself.

”When America elected its first black president eight years ago, many thought we were entering a new and hopeful era," says Kirk. ”But now, from race to guns to the economy, we're living in a deeply polarized moment &#8212; in American politics and American life. This film explores why we've reached this point, how Washington has reacted to the upheaval that is fast defining our times and what it means as we look to the tenure of the next president."

”As Obama's presidency ends and a new one begins, this is the time to take a deep look at where we stand &#8211; and why," says FRONTLINE executive producer Raney Aronson-Rath. ”Thoughtful, rigorous and time-intensive reporting provides a comprehensive yet nuanced exploration of a significant moment in American history."

”Every day, millions of Americans turn to PBS as a trusted source of news and public affairs programming with diverse perspectives and thought-provoking content that's timely and relevant to the concerns of our viewers," said Beth Hoppe, Chief Programming Executive and General Manager of General Audience Programming for PBS. ”FRONTLINE's DIVIDED STATES OF AMERICA examines the many issues faced during the Obama presidency, just as the new president-elect prepares to be sworn into office. With FRONTLINE's signature in-depth reporting, this special will provide viewers a new viewpoint on both where we've been and where we're headed as a country."

A letter from the Executive Producer of FRONTLINE:
This week, Donald Trump was elected America's next president.

He will inherit a country that's deeply divided by politics, race, gender, culture and economics.

At FRONTLINE, we're committed to investigating how this intense polarization &#8212; and, ultimately, Trump's presidency &#8212; came to be.

In fact, for months, we've been reporting on our country's fault lines and rising tensions for our upcoming special series, Divided States of America, scheduled to air on PBS January 17 and 18.

From veteran FRONTLINE filmmaker Michael Kirk and his team, Divided States investigates events during the Obama presidency that roiled the political parties and exposed simmering divisions among the American people.

Airing days before Trump's inauguration, it will offer an in-depth view of the partisanship that gridlocked Washington and charged the 2016 presidential campaign, the rise of populist anger and the war inside the Republican Party, and the racial tensions that have erupted throughout the country.

The following week, on January 24, FRONTLINE will present Trump's Road to the White House, looking at how he rallied millions of supporters, defeated adversaries, and who he is bringing into the White House with him.

And of course, as we've always done with our presidents and our politics, we'll keep reporting on President Trump and the many challenges facing his administration &#8212; from the evolution of ISIS, to the wars in Syria and Iraq, to the economy.

FRONTLINE has always strived for fair and deeply reported journalism, and we will continue to deliver on that promise.

Thank you for your support.

&#8211; Raney Aronson-Rath
Executive Producer, FRONTLINE
I wanted to give people enough time to set their DVRs, adjust their weeknight viewing schedules, and figure out how to watch episodes online before this two-night event aired. Four hours spent examining how we as a nation got to where we are today, on the eve of swearing in Donald Trump as the 45th President and leader of the most powerful nation on Earth.

Tonight however, if you're interested, they will be airing 'President Trump', which I suspect is a retooling of the excellent episode 'The Choice 2016' to focus exclusively on the winning presidential candidate. That episode airs momentarily, and is available for viewing online right now.

FRONTLINE: 'President Trump'

See you in two weeks!

Frontline has always been good, that being said their recent stuff has been incredible. Looking forward to this one, thanks for bringing awareness OP.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
I wonder if they will talk about opioid abuse and if it has had any impact on our culture. That would be interesting..

Brinbe

Will watch. Frontline is an overlooked journalistic treasure and is up there with the very best investigative reporting worldwide.

Hopefully his doesn't legitimize or normalize the Republican Party and consersatives from being so partisan.

I don't know why they need a special to point out the obvious. We are divide because the republicans obstructed everything and everyone because the President is black. They also rallied and energized their base using racist rhetoric.

SummitAve

Banned
I caught most of the President Trunp episode. It was pretty brutal. I thought there would be a bigger splash though. You can't go wrong with Frontline.

Almighty

I will be checking this out. Frontline is always good, but like another post said they have been killing it the past few years.

I caught most of the President Trunp episode. It was pretty brutal. I thought there would be a bigger splash though. You can't go wrong with Frontline.

Did they add any new insights/information about Trump that wasn't in their "The Choice 2016" episode?

Frontline has been great at covering both sides and not in the every person has a valid opinion both sides nonsense way.

It will be hard to watch this as I've mostly tuned out of political commentary

SummitAve

Banned
I will be checking this out. Frontline is always good, but like another post said they have been killing it the past few years.

Did they add any new insights/information about Trump that wasn't in their "The Choice 2016" episode?

All the media coverage has blended together, I can't remember The Choice that well... This new one went through his whole life highlighting the many scandals. I tuned in when they were going through his school history. A lot of 80s and 90s New York stuff. The Central Park 5 was a focus. His Apprentice comeback. It then went up and through the primaries and elections stuff which I think I mostly remember from The Choice.

Almighty

All the media coverage has blended together, I can't remember The Choice that well... This new one went through his whole life highlighting the many scandals. A lot of 80s and 90s stuff New York stuff. The Central Park 5 was a focus. It then went up and through the primaries and elections stuff which I think I mostly remember from The Choice.

Thanks. It has been a while, seems like a lifetime ago sadly, so maybe I will watch it and refresh my memory on a few things. Normally I watch every Frontline episode, but I assumed that one was a repackaging of The Choice with all the Clinton content cut.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I love how the press release doesn't once mention Trump by name. That's some good subtle shade.

phants

Frontline videos are available outside the US? SOLD!

Cheers, I had no idea - will work my way through their historical stuff while I wait for Divided States to air.

Some advance reviews are starting to pop up. Here's a look from Variety:

”Divided States of America" makes for an emotional four-hour journey through some of the last eight years' failures and triumphs, and each successive example feels like a further turn of the screw. It is difficult to watch. Most of the tragedies and indignities of the last eight years are still far too fresh, and if the beginning of 2017 is any indication, the ultra-polarization of the American populace has only just begun to wreak its havoc on our institutions.

http://variety.com/2017/tv/reviews/tv-review-divided-states-of-america-frontline-pbs-1201957624/

So far they're all saying pretty much the same thing about 'Divided': a sobering, at times depressing watch.

FRONTLINE released a brief excerpt from 'Divided States' today, which chronicles the passage of the Affordable Care Act into law and how that further heightened the polarization of the national parties.

Divided States: How "Obamacare" Became a Symbol of America's Divide (Youtube)

As President Barack Obama prepares to leave office and Donald Trump's inauguration approaches, the Republican-led Congress is debating how to dismantle one of Obama's signature efforts: The Affordable Care Act.

Enacted in 2010, and initially dubbed ”Obamacare" by critics, the law has expanded health insurance for millions. But as FRONTLINE's new, two-night documentary, Divided States of America, shows, its passage also contributed to years of political polarization, the surge of the Tea Party movement, and a wave of anti-establishment sentiment that helped fuel Trump's road to victory.

”What happened after it was passed, and because of the way it was passed, it became the symbol of the divide, and the reality of it in many ways," David Maraniss of The Washington Post tells FRONTLINE in the above excerpt from part one of Divided States of America. ”And I don't think Obama was expecting that."
More here.

Reminder, this airs beginning tomorrow.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Thanks for bumping this. Set my DVR and I'm gonna have to force myself to watch this since I've completely shut down watching amything political news since the election. Though I did manage to watch Black America since MLK and was in tears at how far we've come then seeing how far we're about to fall.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Hopefully his doesn't legitimize or normalize the Republican Party and consersatives from being so partisan.

I don't know why they need a special to point out the obvious. We are divide because the republicans obstructed everything and everyone because the President is black. They also rallied and energized their base using racist rhetoric.

Leave.

Wulfric

Looks sweet (in a sobering kind of way), PBS has some great programming. I probably can't watch it on TV, but it looks like they're uploading it tonight as well?

Looks sweet (in a sobering kind of way), PBS has some great programming. I probably can't watch it on TV, but it looks like they're uploading it tonight as well?
Yes, if you're in the US then you can watch it for free at any time on FRONTLINE's website or at PBS.org; episodes usually upload around the same time as airing, if not a little earlier.

If you're not in the US, well, I understand there are ways.

Settling in to watch now, starts in about ten minutes for the East Coast.

EDIT: First episode is live on FRONTLINE's website, you can view it there now.

Wulfric

Yes, if you're in the US then you can watch it for free at any time on FRONTLINE's website or at PBS.org; episodes usually upload around the same time as airing, if not a little earlier.

If you're not in the US, well, I understand there are ways.

Thanks, I've got it playing on my second monitor. :)

I just started watching it. The awkward between Trump and Obama in the Oval Office is palpable. They're like total opposites...

mreddie

Man, it's fucking jarring hearing how Reps were feeling about Obama winning and getting swept in Congress back in 09.

And hearing how everything started in 2007.

The dominoes fall and Part 2 I think is when shit will really hit the fan.

Milabrega

The part with the bankers getting left off the hook and Geithner still squirming and clearly struggling to say the bullshit that he did is so infuriating.

...Yeah.

That was hard to watch, and even moreso when you realize that was just the first two years of Obama's presidency. All that hope, ambition and naivete slammed into the wall that is Washington, and the fringe right reaped the benefits.

It's the story anyone who's followed politics for the last decade can attest to, but given a new intimacy by virtue of being told by the people who were there in the rooms when it happened. I wish it were tomorrow night already.

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.
Honestly had no idea to the full extent of everything. I was 18 when Obama won so didn't really care. The scenes with McCain telling supporters of him to that the racist shit out. Palin being the whole full starting point of tea party. Kennedy dying was a huge woah didn't notice it was such a big moment.

mreddie

We are still getting blowback from the 2010 Midterms and I wonder if Dems are gonna do the same when 18 comes?

Everything after that is where the gridlock comes in and yeah, the 2nd half of Obama's term is just pure fuckery.

When did ACA go into effect? 2011 right?

Wulfric

Just finished part 1, holy cow. I was still in high school when all this was going on and had no idea how neutered the GOP was until 2010. And then a couple years later, when I actually started paying attention, the gridlock seemed to really take hold. And part 1 doesn't even talk about Trump or BLM. Looking forward to the next one tomorrow.

This is painful to watch.

Yeah.

I remember the McCain concession speech and the Town Halls he had...

and seeing it now this far away from it... I'm just like... yup there's the moment... bunch of old white people being afraid of a black dude as President. And now we're here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom