• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FTC: U.S. antitrust enforcer says pressing on with fight against Microsoft/Activision deal

The FTC says that they are going ahead with the appeal and wants to assess the Ubisoft agreement:

The U.S. Federal Trade Commission said on Friday it remained focused on its appeal opposing Xbox maker Microsoft's now-closed $69 billion deal to buy Activision but would "assess" the company's agreement with Ubisoft.

"Microsoft and Activision's new agreement with Ubisoft presents a whole new facet to the merger that will affect American consumers, which the FTC will assess as part of its ongoing administrative proceeding," added spokeswoman Victoria Graham. "The FTC continues to believe this deal is a threat to competition."

let it go skydive GIF by Red Bull

Fabieter

Is this an "we qant our sports car too" attempt. There is like zero chance that this will lead to anything.

DaGwaphics

Lina Khan right now:

GIF by Bachelor in Paradise

Really they are just super upset that MS (and FB) came along and upset the apple cart (which in this case was the FTC bastardizing the laws in an attempt to use the process itself to breakup deals they didn't have a legally supported reason to touch). MS and FB together have basically ended that now, everyone will just push through the red tape and make them win in a courtroom on the merits. Khan's time as the all powerful czar she seems to see herself as is likely over now.

Their big net gain for all of it will be that deals will push out the expected completion dates from the start.

I have way too many notifications to reply right now :p xD I'll try during the weekend.

Regarding the thread, I would keep it open for at least 6 months.

The merger is done and nothing will change that, but for those interested in the process and potentially getting more info and insights from the industry, there are still some interesting topics to follow during the next months:

- The FTC appeal in front of the Ninth Circuit: oral arguments are expected to happen in December 2023.

- The FTC resuming the administrative process in January/February 2024.

- The gamer's lawsuit: February 5th 2024 is the placeholder trial date for it.

- The implementation of the different remedies: the EC commitments and the CMA undertakings, including the original cloud agreements (Ubitus, Nivida, Boosteroid and Nware) + the Ubisoft Agreement.

- The annual reports about the implementation of the corresponding remedies: we should get the first one on March 31st 2024 through the CMA.

- The execution of the Nintendo, Sony and CWA agreements.

- Any potential conflicts or issues that could arise due to all of the above.

Some of them are likely to be dropped (the FTC case or the gamers' lawsuit) but at least the first 6 months post transaction (probably more) could still be entertaining. :p

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
I have way too many notifications to reply right now :p xD I'll try during the weekend.

The merger is done and nothing will change that, but for those interested in the process and potentially getting more info and insights from the industry, there are still some interesting topics to follow during the next months:

- The FTC appeal in front of the Ninth Circuit: oral arguments are expected to happen in December 2023.

- The implementation of the different remedies: the EC commitments and the CMA undertakings, including the original cloud agreements (Ubitus, Nivida, Boosteroid and Nware) + the Ubisoft Agreement.

- The annual reports about the implementation of the corresponding remedies: we should get the first one on March 31st 2024 through the CMA.

Some of them are likely to be dropped (the FTC case or the gamers' lawsuit) but at least the first 6 months post transaction (probably more) could still be entertaining. :p

Didn't the ninth circuit turn the FTC down once already? Well, Lina good luck with this but I can't understand why you would want to embarrass yourself further. Why not block Ralph's/Kroger from buying Safeway/Vons/Albertsons and leaving Los Angeles with only one major supermarket. Stop the vendetta and do something useful.

Didn't the ninth circuit turn the FTC down once already? Well, Lina good luck with this but I can't understand why you would want to embarrass yourself further. Why not block Ralph's/Kroger from buying Safeway/Vons/Albertsons and leaving Los Angeles with only one major supermarket. Stop the vendetta and do something useful.

Read:

"In the United States, the U.S. Federal Trade Commission (FTC) has also fought the deal, and has an argument scheduled before an appeals court on Dec. 6. The agency said on Friday that it remained focused on that appeal."

tenor.gif

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I've been addicted to those ASMR cooking shorts that make the crunchy sound for bread and all the cutting sounds chopping on wood in the mountains.

Kilau

Reminds me when I saw a guy on twitter complaining that the deal will mean he won't be able to play ABK games anymore.

His twitter had his PSN name, checked it and he only had 1 CoD game out of the entire ABK library on his profile.

Never seen someone delete their account so quick.

Deez Nuts GIF

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
aT7dRrc.gif

They only produce Call of Duty and that's staying on Playstation until I'm in my 50's

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I never realized how much of a massive waste of tax dollars and how inept the FTC was until I listened to them try this the first time.

Even the judge was like “you guys tried” and sounded like she wanted to hand them a participation trophy. They couldn’t stop a nosebleed.

CMA was way more effective and even they succumbed to MS army of lawyers.

Three

What? Didn't it close today? Or did I misunderstand something?
In the US MS won the injunction meaning they are allowed to close but it doesn't mean the antitrust case against them is closed. It just means the FTC now has to prove this is anticompetitive rather than why them closing before the case is heard is a danger to competition.

Last edited:
In the US MS won the injunction meaning they are allowed to close but it doesn't mean the antitrust case against them is closed. It just means the FTC now has to prove this is anticompetitive rather than why them closing before the case is heard is a danger to competition.
Basically this will fail again and that will be the end it.

Top Bottom