• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fuel cells for handhelds - PSP battery problem solved?

Tellaerin

http://www.mtimicrofuelcells.com/news/article.asp?id=163

News Releases

MTI MICRO INTRODUCES MOBION™ TECHNOLOGY AND DEMONSTRATES THE WORLD´S FIRST HANDHELD ENTERTAINMENT SYSTEM AND PDA/SMARTPHONE POWERED BY AN INTEGRATED FUEL CELL
Breakthrough MOBION™ cord-free rechargeable power pack to provide continuous access to power anytime, anywhere

Albany, N.Y., June 21, 2004 -- MTI MicroFuel Cells Inc. (MTI Micro), the leading developer of miniaturized fuel cells suitable for handheld electronic devices and a subsidiary of Mechanical Technology Inc. (NASDAQ: MKTY), announced the introduction of Mobion™ technology. MTI Micro´s Mobion™ is based on patented direct methanol fuel cell (DMFC) technology, and represents a number of scientific breakthroughs that the Company believes will ultimately enable it to power portable devices 2 to 10 times longer than an equivalent size battery pack, while allowing for instant, cord-free re-charging.

“Mobion™ is a true breakthrough in advanced micro fuel cell technology, and is the enabling technology powering our first product shipment planned for the industrial market later this year,” said Dr. William Acker, CEO and President of MTI Micro. “Our vision extends beyond the industrial market, and today´s concept model demonstration of Mobion™ technology powering and integrated into handheld electronic products helps underscore our commitment to penetrating the multi-billion dollar power pack market for portable consumer electronics”.

(...)

MTI Micro then plans to pursue the broader consumer market with partners such as Gillette/Duracell. Target applications will include hand-held communication devices, PDAs and other power-hungry portable electronic devices that can benefit from Mobion™ extended run-time, cord-free rechargeable power packs with continuous access to power anytime, anywhere.

This technology sounds practically tailor-made for the PSP, doesn't it?

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Cord-free recharging? That's pretty neat, I like that.

Too late in the game to incorperate it me thinks. Well we don't know how Sony works.

Tellaerin

TekunoRobby said:
Cord-free recharging? That's pretty neat, I like that.

Too late in the game to incorperate it me thinks. Well we don't know how Sony works.

Depending on the dimensions of the standard battery pack, they could either produce a model that would fit the PSP, or make it something along the lines of the external battery pack mockup Sony was showing at e3. Either way, this would solve a lot of problems if the technology takes off.

Culex said:
It doesn't explain how you recharge the hydrogen...

I was under the impression that these cells use water and methanol. In any case, I'm guessing that's part of the reason they're planning to partner up with Gillette/Duracell for the consumer market. They'll probably provide some cheap, easy means for people to refresh the cells themselves when they're drained, like premeasured water/methanol cartridges, and maybe even branded kiosks in supermarkets and such where you can 'top off' your cells for a few cents.

cuccoo

The battery/portable fuel cell is different from car's fuel cell. In car, they use hydrogen, but in
portable cell, they use alcohol. Some models use replacable vials of alcohol, while others are just 1 time use (like battery).

Top Bottom