• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[G/A/F] Zoo might feed animals to each other to stay afloat during lockdown

Bullet Club

Zoo might feed animals to each other to stay afloat during lockdown

uNmXJq0.jpg

The coronavirus is sending this zoo into a feeding frenzy.

One struggling German zoo has devised a heartbreaking proposal to stay afloat while closed over coronavirus concerns — feeding the animals to each other. The tragic announcement comes a month after the nation’s animal sanctuaries begged German Chancellor Angela Merkel for 100 million euros to help care for their critters amid state-mandated social distancing restrictions.

“We’ve listed the animals we’ll have to slaughter first,” Verena Kaspari, director of Neumünster Zoo, tells German newspaper Die Welt, according to BBC. Neumünster belongs to an association and is therefore not entitled to financial relief from the state, leaving the visitor-less zoo with little recourse.

Kaspari didn’t list which animals will be slaughtered, but she says the “unpleasant” cost-cutting measure might not even be enough to offset their losses. Penguins and seals require an exorbitant amount of fish per day to sustain them, and unlike other businesses, zoos can’t go dormant during the pandemic due to animals’ daily feeding and enclosure maintenance requirements.

“If it comes to it, I’ll have to euthanize animals, rather than let them starve,” says Kaspari, who projects that the business could lose almost $200,000 this spring.

The toll isn’t merely financial. Berlin Zoo spokeswoman Philine Hachmeister says the situation is “really boring” for charismatic creatures like seals and apes, who love human visitors.

Some zoos and aquariums have managed to circumvent social distancing concerns by offering virtual safaris that can be enjoyed from the comfort of animal lovers’ homes.

Source: NY Post

I cant wait to see the first articles when the people start moaning about this and condeming it. In case you didn't know, these animals thats how they are supposed to live and survive in the wild except this time they are getting it on a golden platter chopped up and ready for consumption without having to run after their prey.

I cant wait to see the first articles when the people start moaning about this and condeming it. In case you didn't know, these animals thats how they are supposed to live and survive in the wild except this time they are getting it on a golden platter chopped up and ready for consumption without having to run after their prey.

Yeah, except in the wild they aren’t simply fed to their predators lol. And since they’ve been raised in captivity you can’t release them. Just a bad situation all around and it sucks if it comes to that.

Live stream the slaughter! I need something exciting. Don’t make it easy either. Just drop the live animal into the cage of their natural predator and let me watch that shit. I’ll pay!
Show that to children that don't take Corona serious, and don't give a fuck about old people.
Maybe that'll teach them.

Solis

Neophyte
It's a very sad state of affairs indeed, but unfortunately there are more pressing issues at hand thank forking over 200k to the zoo.

nush

The obvious solution is to set the animals free on the streets of Germany. If you're not respecting the lockdown and get your dick bitten off by a tiger then its your own fault.

xrnzaaas

I'm just guessing here but the largest zoo's will probably have it very difficult to survive. I live relatively near to a small zoo and even before the pandemic they managed to secure personal sponsors for most of the animals. Now they're inviting people to buy tickets to be used later in the year. No one's talking about killing or transferring any animals.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Sounds like a PR stunt, and a very effective one -- the title was almost heartbreaking to read. I expect them to secure funding shortly.

Leaving room for being wrong (Not aware of their situation) I doubt they would ever do this, versus many other actions at their disposal.

Mistake

Just let the predators go. Have the city deal with it. As for the seals and penguins, they are nice and all, but they’re not exactly on the endangered list

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Instead of releasing prisoners back into the public, why not feed them to the animals? The animals are innocent, the people aren’t.

Makes perfect sense to me.

mortal

Gold Member
So the natural state of things? The weird part here is still the Zoo intervening in what would otherwise be a natural occurrence. Animals eating each other isn't really something I'd lose sleep over tbh.
The animals are innocent, the people aren’t.
We are animals also. Simply because we have more intelligence relative to other animals, doesn't change that.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
So the natural state of things? The weird part here is still the Zoo intervening in what would otherwise be a natural occurrence. Animals eating each other isn't really something I'd lose sleep over tbh.

We are animals also. Simply because we have more intelligence relative to other animals, doesn't change that.
When’s the last time an animal robbed a bank?

Top Bottom