• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gabe Newell decided to give a twist on a famous quote.

OverHeat

« generous god »
c06QESN.jpg

Not a true quote btw 😂😂😂

Elysium44

Banned
Gabe Newell is the MVP of the generation when it comes to video games. He resonates with gamers because he actually is a gamer. Unlike some CEOs who pretend to be a gamer, but who just talks too much and blatantly spews lies.

If he was a gamer he wouldn't have killed Half-Life 17 years ago.

Gabe Newell is the MVP of the generation when it comes to video games. He resonates with gamers because he actually is a gamer. Unlike some CEOs who pretend to be a gamer, but who just talks too much and blatantly spews lies.
Jim Ryan is retiring so you'll be fine.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
If he was a gamer he wouldn't have killed Half-Life 17 years ago.
At the same time, If he wasn't a gamer you would've gotten Half Life 3. And Half Life 4. And then Half Life 5. And then HL6. so on and so forth until all the magic from the franchise has been stripped away and then you will be crying for the days back when Half Life was good and the franchise wasn't milked.

All good things in this world are temporary.

KiteGr

I'm mostly afraid of a post-Gabe era.
Gabe is a gamer and pretty much holds the PC gaming industry together after saving it multiple times from obscurity, making a store that's more convenient than piracy, plus he makes all those customer friendly services and products.

...What would happen once he's gone?
He's not gona be the head of Valve forever, and at some point he'll leave due to retirement, or "the other reason".

Who's gonna take over?
Will it become like current Disney/EA, buy other successful brands, destroying franchises and good will with predatory practices, and make everything woke to appease some shareholder?!...

Elysium44

Banned
At the same time, If he wasn't a gamer you would've gotten Half Life 3. And Half Life 4. And then Half Life 5. And then HL6. so on and so forth until all the magic from the franchise has been stripped away and then you will be crying for the days back when Half Life was good and the franchise wasn't milked.

All good things in this world are temporary.

There are other options than milking it or killing it off.

Braag

Gabe is a gamer and pretty much holds the PC gaming industry together after saving it multiple times from obscurity, making a store that's more convenient than piracy, plus he makes all those customer friendly services and products.

He's not gona be the head of Valve forever, and at some point he'll leave due to retirement, or "the other reason".

Who's gonna take over?
Will it become like current Disney/EA, buy other successful brands, destroying franchises and good will with predatory practices, and make everything woke to appease some shareholder?!...
This is what I've thought about as well. Gabe is a big reason why PC gaming is as huge as it is now. Steam is hands down the most feature rich storefront.

Elysium44

Banned
spinoffs.

The other option is making Half Life 2 episode 3, as he promised in 2007. Or HL3. Or telling us that he's bored of it and doesn't care, or whatever the truth is. Instead we've had nearly two decades of radio silence. A 'real gamer' would give the gamers what they want, or explain why not.

I know people put him on a pedestal and worship him like he's the head of a religion they subscribe to but the only thing he's really demonstrated is the desire to make lots and lots of money. Taking his cut from Steam sales is easy and highly profitable. He doesn't need the money because he's already worth billions, so that's likely why it hasn't happened.

It's too late now. The original actors and writers have got old / left the company and anything coming out in future will never be the game we would have had. Valve could have been a company which regularly produced innovative AAA games. Instead the last one of those we had was Portal 2 in 2011. Steam is largely full of shovelware and the site is incredibly tedious to navigate unless you know exactly what you're looking for already (the same can be said of the Microsoft and Sony stores for that matter).

StereoVsn

Who's gonna take over?
Yeah, that’s the big issue. Valve is private and Gaben owns it. When he is gone, what happens? The answer is nothing good if you like PC gaming. :(

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Instead the last one of those we had was Portal 2 in 2011.
Alyx came out 4 years ago so not really, and judging by the quality of the game, the writers, game designers and actors haven't aged one bit
Also.

"Half-Life maker has several games targeting current hardware in pipeline"

🤷‍♂️

Elysium44

Banned
Alyx came out 4 years ago so not really, and judging by the quality of the game, the writers, game designers and actors haven't aged one bit
Also.

"Half-Life maker has several games targeting current hardware in pipeline"

🤷‍♂️

I deliberately didn't include Alyx because I don't consider it a proper game, more a VR demo with very limited mainstream appeal. Evidenced by the fact the non-VR mod is not worth playing because the actual game itself is barely there without the VR gimmick.

Wake me up when they have a new AAA game, not just one 'in the pipeline' or which uses a decades old engine.

He does not deserve the hero worship and I'm embarrassed for the people who idolise him so much. HL2 episode 2 ended on a cliffhanger, he had previously told us that the episodic format would allow quicker release of games. 17 years later we're still waiting and he's never said why. My guess is he got bored and took his ball home so the rest of us couldn't play. Some gamer.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I deliberately didn't include Alyx because I don't consider it a proper game, more a VR demo with very limited mainstream appeal. Evidenced by the fact the non-VR mod is not worth playing because the actual game itself is barely there without the VR gimmick.
VR games are still video games. 🤷‍♂️ And removing the VR from Alyx and saying "Look, it's shit now that we removed the headset!" is like pointing out how shit Splatoon is without the gyro, or trying to make Nintendo DS games work with only 1 screen- the hardware is integral to the experience.

Last edited:
If Gabe wasn't a gamer, we would have never gotten Doom ported to Windows.

Thus, Windows gaming would never be a thing. PC gaming would have lived but it would be a very different world.

RedC

Who's gonna take over?
It will likely be sought over by Big Tech.

Out of all of them, Microsoft would love nothing more than to own THE PC gaming store on their operating system.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
This is what I've thought about as well. Gabe is a big reason why PC gaming is as huge as it is now. Steam is hands down the most feature rich storefront.

It really hit me a few months back that I’m a PC gamer because of Gabe and Valve, and what he brought to PC gaming with Steam.

If Gabe wasn't a gamer, we would have never gotten Doom ported to Windows.
Which wouldn't have been much of a loss, tbh. Doom95 was little more than a tech demo for DirectX and it wasn't all that popular. The original DOS version performed better, and getting it to work on Win9x was trivial.

Which wouldn't have been much of a loss, tbh. Doom95 was little more than a tech demo for DirectX and it wasn't all that popular. The original DOS version performed better, and getting it to work on Win9x was trivial.
The point is if there is no Direct X gaming, there would be no Xbox.

Who's gonna take over?
The writing is already on the wall. The day they bought Campo Santo, they already began this change heading in that undesirable direction. Even with this video there are aspects to it that prove that as well. It's only a matter of time before Valve is swallowed up by the same virus plaguing so many legendary studios today. I'm afraid.

Who's gonna take over?

The way this typically plays out is the benevolent dictator visionary who built the company and it’s greatness retires, people think it’s the end of the world, but the person he chooses to replace him ends up being pretty good. Not a visionary like themselves, but good enough to continue maintaining the status quo. Eventually that person retires, and the person they choose to replace them can go any which way, but often is the beginning of the downfall of the company - at least as it was known. Once you get further out everything goes to shit.

It’s that over time, bad actors infiltrate a company and hollow it out - they eventually rise to the top and start hacking everything to bits with nobody to stop them. If you look at Apple, Steve Jobs was a visionary. Tim Cook is a great CEO but doesn’t have the vision. He is refining and improving things but it’s clearly not the same company Jobs built. Whoever takes over after Cook will likely start losing the script, and whoever takes over after that is going to run that business into the ground.

Top Bottom