• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Plays Brutal Doom!

IceMarker

JvY5CRJ.png

Hey GAF, I have discovered the awesome Doom and Doom II mod: Brutal Doom! This mod is so impressive I've decided to run a personal co-op server that I would like to host for GAF from time to time.
Protip: Instructions to install Brutal Doom can be found here. Come on in and join for a rip and tearing good time!

Current Server Info
Name: "[NeoGAF] BRUTAL DOOM COOPERATIVE"
Game: Doom II: Hell on Earth
Difficulty: Ultra-Violence
Max Players: 8
IP Address*: __________
Password*: __________
*Quote this post to see the server IP and password.

Requirements
-Brutal Doom (brutalv20b.pk3)
-Zandronum (Latest version.)
-Doomseeker (Used to join/host servers.)
-Doom.wad (Comes with any Doom install, including Doom 3: BFG Edition.)
-Doom2.wad (Comes with any Doom II install, including Doom 3: BFG Edition.)

FAQ
Q: When will the server be hosted?
A: "Whenever" is the best answer I can give, I'm running this off my own PC and internet connection, but the server will be up for long periods of time when I can manage it, especially when I'm home. I will keep the server status section updated and only post to bump the thread when the server is coming online.

Q: I get an "Level authentication" error when trying to join the server, what do?
A: It means you don't have the EXACT SAME WADs as the server. I use the Doom IWADs provided with Doom 3: BFG Edition and the other WADs and utilities listed above. Also, always join with Doomseeker.

Q: I get an error when running Zandronum with something along the lines of "Script error, something something ACS Global", what do?
A: It means you're loading Brutal Doom into Zandronum twice. It can only point to Brutal Doom once by either dropping the .pk3 file into the skins folder it provides or in the .ini file under [Doom.AutoExec] (Patch=brutalv20b.pk3).

Q: I joined your server without entering a password, why is that?
A: Sometimes during "non-peak hours" I will remove the password temporarily to keep the player count consistent.

Q: Will you ever load any map packs or try different game modes?
A: Yes rarely, however the server will stay on Cooperative mode as a whole. Whenever I post in the thread that the server is coming online I will also mention any gameplay variations.

Q: Who's a man and a half?
A: I'm a man and a half, I'm a berserkin' packin' man and a half!

--
Rock on and have fun DoomGAF!

Lettuce

Looks interesting, but i think the death animations would get a bit tedious after a while and just go back to killing with the weapons.

IceMarker

Looks interesting, but in think the death animations would get a bit tedious after a while and just go back to killing with the weapons.

It's actually ill-advised (especially on Nightmare) to go pure fists, there are times where a monster will drop a demon rune that gives you something like +200% fist damage which enables those ridiculous fatalities.

--

I should mention my location/the server is on USwest and I'm aware I'm posting this pretty late night, but I'll still be hosting for a few more hours tonight and I will begin hosting almost all day and night tomorrow/today starting around 9pm pacific, after that I'll be hosting pretty consistently for the next month at least.

JvY5CRJ.png

Hey GAF, I recently discovered and installed the awesome Doom and Doom II mod: Brutal Doom, and after some testing I got a personal co-op server running for it that I would like to host for GAF from time to time. Want to join for a rip and tearing good time? Quote this post to get the server IP and password which will show up at the top of this post. (Whenever I host I will also be on NeoGAFs Mumble Server in the Brutal Doom channel. Come and chat while we rip and tear!)

Instructions to install Brutal Doom can be found here, along with a handy FAQ.
Along with the latest Brutal Doom version (brutal19.pk3) you will need:
-Zandorum
-Doomseeker
-Doom.wad
-Doom2.wad
(Protip: Doom 3: BFG Edition on Steam comes with completely working WAD files for Doom I and Doom II under your Steam directory!)

If you have any questions about getting it setup and the FAQ I linked did not help post in here and I'll see if I can help!

The FAQ says to move the .wads into the "Sourceport" folder but I can't find it. I have the Collectors Edition Doom.

IceMarker

The FAQ says to move the .wads into the "Sourceport" folder but I can't find it. I have the Collectors Edition Doom.

I have Zandronum and you can actually drop brutal19.pk3 under the skins folder it creates, but as the FAQ says you can drop brutal19.pk3 into the same location as the Zandorum executable and your doom WADs and edit the .ini file. Here's a Steam guide I used when I first started installing Brutal Doom. (Ignore the part about dosbox unless you are wanting to use steam overlay with Zandronum.)

Remember you have to copy and paste or move your WADs into the Zandronum folder where you installed it from your normal Doom installation.

Yuripaw

Banned
I have heard of this mod before, but have never played...god this is awesome! ^_^ Thank you for giving me the encouragement to finally play it myself OP.

Edit: I got the mod working, but I don't really understand how this doomseeker program works. Where do i put it?

IceMarker

I'm just getting a message in Seeker that says; "'acsFatality' is already defined in 'Global"

It means you are pointing to brutal19.pk3 twice. Check to make sure you don't have brutal19.pk3 in the skins folder and pointed to in the zandronum.ini. Can't have both at once, either or has to do.

I have beaten so many wads witha friend of mine in coop with the brutal doom pak.

It is really quite fun.... not the same gameplay as doom... but uniquely fun in its own right. PLus his attention to detail is really wonderful.

I really recommend the doom II episodes packed with doom 3 BFG, they play really well with brutal doom.

IceMarker

GG all! Alright pretty good for a first run tonight, server held up! I'll be leaving it up longer starting tomorrow, pending I don't need my bandwidth for anything else. I'll make another post here when it comes back up (yes, it will have the password from now on) and thanks for playing guys!

I have beaten so many wads witha friend of mine in coop with the brutal doom pak.

It is really quite fun.... not the same gameplay as doom... but uniquely fun in its own right. PLus his attention to detail is really wonderful.

I really recommend the doom II episodes packed with doom 3 BFG, they play really well with brutal doom.

I almost feel as if this is what vanilla Doom should've been! Brutal Doom is just too good of a mod.

Edit: I got the mod working, but I don't really understand how this doomseeker program works. Where do i put it?
Doomseeker is just a stand alone server browser for doom-based games. Just make sure you configure it to see where all your Zandronum folders are.

Lettuce

Ok got everything up and running. Not sure what options i need to select to get the game to looks its best, i have selected 1440p for my res but the text is sooo small i cant really read it

Zushin

Got this last night. It is glorious. Never actually played through any Doom before (which for a fan of Wolfenstein is disgraceful).

TONX

Distinguished Air Superiority
Protip: Playing this game with thrash metal in the background makes it twice as intense. I've been blasting Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza to this and its just... amazing.

I just started playing Doom 2 with this installed yesterday, it's insanely fun to play. The double barreled shotgun is the most satisfying weapon ever.

Really shows how much modern shooters are phoning it in if one man can turn a twenty year old game into something much more enjoyable.

Protip: Playing this game with thrash metal in the background makes it twice as intense. I've been blasting Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza to this and its just... amazing.

I usually play while listening to Sodom's Tapping the Vein.

Just played a few Doom 1 levels, this is glorious!

I love how powerful the weapons feel, from the sounds, the screen twitch as you fire, the gibs and screams, it all just feels good. id should take a page from Brutal Doom's book when and if they make Doom 4 because this is the way to go. If they'd replicate the same feel with modern graphics but switching back to the old satanic look and fucked up demons, it would be awesome.

I got the same multiplayer error as MasterBalls so I cut and pasted the brutal19.pk3 from the "skins" to the root folder and it works (but then oddly enough zandronum doesn't detect the file for SP so I have to move it back). Played on some coop server with hundreds of spawning enemies, had no clue what was going on but it was fun.

red731

Just played some levels from Doom.

Holy shit this is amazing. Weapons are blast to use, everything sounds so..HEAVY and you can kick, taunt and flip finger on enemies.
Going to play more now for sure!

IceMarker

Server is now ONLINE! Quote the OP to see the IP and password! Everytime I host I will give details in a post about the servers game settings and what WAD we will be playing.

Tonight will be nothing special, Nightmare difficulty Coop with no special flags activated. The server will be up for hours on end! Have fun!

Yuripaw

Banned
Obviously no one else is in the server right now, but I joined it by myself anyway...this happened just now, and it also happened last night, I dunno why. I beat the first level by myself, and when I went to the exit, before it could bring up the next stage, it kicked me from the server and said "Level authentication failed"

I dunno why it's doing this, it happened after I played a dozen or so maps with you guys last night also. I'm using a legit doom2 wad from the BFG edition, not sure why that would happen.

IceMarker

Obviously no one else is in the server right now, but I joined it by myself anyway...this happened just now, and it also happened last night, I dunno why. I beat the first level by myself, and when I went to the exit, before it could bring up the next stage, it kicked me from the server and said "Level authentication failed"

I dunno why it's doing this, it happened after I played a dozen or so maps with you guys last night also. I'm using a legit doom2 wad from the BFG edition, not sure why that would happen.

After some GoogleFu, if you're getting that error it means you are joining by a bugged Zandronum in-game connect option. Most places are recommending you join by Internet Doom Explorer or Doomseeker. (I recommend Doomseeker.)
Try updating Zandronum or just have to keep reconnecting for now...

Also, I'll be getting on in a bit after some food.

Looks better than COD: Ghosts anyway.

You could probably say that about vanilla Doom as well. I still need to download and try out Brutal Doom, looks so awesome.

Doom's 20th birthday is going to be on December 10th 2013, can't believe its that old. I still remember watching my friend play this on his PC using the smallest window size just to get the best framerate possible out of the game.

Yuripaw

Banned
After some GoogleFu, if you're getting that error it means you are joining by a bugged Zandronum in-game connect option. Most places are recommending you join by Internet Doom Explorer or Doomseeker. (I recommend Doomseeker.)
Try updating Zandronum or just have to keep reconnecting for now...

Also, I'll be getting on in a bit after some food.

Hm, I dunno this is all kinda new to me, but everything I got I followed based on this thread. I got my doom wads from bfg, and I got the mods and programs based on the links given in the guides. I got the most up to date version of zandronum and brutal doom from the links provided. The only thing I didn't download seperately was doomseeker, because Zandronum had doomseeker as part of the install already.

IceMarker

Well that's what I'm saying. I was using it last night and today, and was still getting that level authentication thing.

Huh, I guess the only other option is to re-download/install all the WADs associated with getting Brutal Doom to run. I'm still getting people in that have no problem however so it's isn't a server-side problem, it just means you don't have the EXACT same files as the server.

IceMarker

Things look like they're dying down now. Thanks for playing tonight! It'll be back up tomorrow earlier than usual, I'll post when it's ready! Eventually I may leave it up for days on end.

Accoun

Dunno if it's true, but I've heard the BFG Edition WADs are "patched" somehow. So maybe in the end they don't work because some levels have minor tweaks that you can't see, but cause this problem?

IceMarker

--
Server is ONLINE! Quote the OP to get the IP and Password! Today will be vanilla Nightmare Brutal Doom II, later today we will be switching to Classic Doom 1! (Using Ultimate Doom's WAD.)
--

Damn missed another session, im in the UK. What time does the server usually go up?
I'm on west coast of the US, so I'm GMT-8. So if I put up the server up early on days like today for you it would be around 9pm GMT (1pm my time). Normally though, on days where I'm not home and I can't monitor the server, I won't be able to get it online until around 6am GMT (10pm my time). I usually try to leave the server up for a minimum 4 hours.

If you are playing coop you should check out Brutalized Doom, which is basically remakes of the original Doom and Doom 2 levels (check one of the vids, you'll understand) but with the difficulty adjusted for BrutalDoom coop:

Here's the thread were you can find it and download it, it's pretty great:

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=32929&sid=9d53a6f1e225ef27518760c4e7a72324
Cool! I will try to incorporate that into one of the sessions.

Also, just a heads up I do occasionally remove the password from the server to keep the player count consistent if it isn't "peak hours".

IceMarker

Switching over to Ultimate Doom now (doom.wad), also I've noticed some of you are still using the old password, re-check the op for the new going-to-be-there-quite-a-while password.

EDIT: Switched back to DOOM II, good Ultimate Doom run guys!

Top Bottom