• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Plays Brutal Doom!

Lettuce

Will u be doing Plutonium and TNT runs?

Also I take it friendly fire is off, but is there a way to set it up on the server so that our fire goes through other players player??

IceMarker

Will u be doing Plutonium and TNT runs?

Yes, eventually.

I'm in the process of making a bunch of different server configs. Multiple and different combinations of settings, such as instagib, infinite ammo, and different map packs, that I'll run once daily for a couple hours. Default settings will remain vanilla Nightmare Doom II with instant respawn. (Whenever I do map packs I will post a link to the public download for them.)

EDIT: I just updated the OP with a server FAQ and a clearer server status section!

Accoun

Ping 322. Wow. ;_; It was to be expected, though.
Guess I'll have to hope for someone to make an European server. Doubt it will happen.

IceMarker

Ping 322. Wow. ;_; It was to be expected, though.
Guess I'll have to hope for someone to make an European server. Doubt it will happen.

It's relatively easy to setup a server. When you download Zandronum and such you have the same tools to host that you do to play. (Albeit, you have to have an ISP that allows you to port forward and what not on your router.)

I've been playing this with some friends via Doomseeker/Zandronum but it feels kind of stupid when there's little to no penalty from dying. Is there any way to set up a mode where the players have a limited amount of respawns? Like, having three lives each or at least a shared pool like in Serious Sam coin-op?

IceMarker

I've been playing this with some friends via Doomseeker/Zandronum but it feels kind of stupid when there's little to no penalty from dying. Is there any way to set up a mode where the players have a limited amount of respawns? Like, having three lives each or at least a shared pool like in Serious Sam coin-op?

You can have a limited number of lives per person yes, when all players run out of lives the game is over and the current map restarts.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Hah, guess I should have checked some of the earlier post dates.

Heh, I was thinking the same thing. Maybe if I get it setup we can go for a romp? I gotta find my old doom collection cd from like 2002 though.

Guy.brush

Want to set this up to play coop with some friends. Any ideas how to initiate BRUTAL DOOM's additional difficulty settings?
If I try to set "skill 5/6" in the server options it will just create a game with skill 4, which is DOOM Nightmare, but on BRUTAL DOOM it is only the 4th out of 6 difficulty levels.

IceMarker

Long time, no see Doom-GAF!

Funny story you guys, I finally got the chance to play the new DOOM 2016 game just this past holiday season and let me tell you what an absolutely fantastic game that is (at least the campaign), and you know what it reminded me of? That's right, Brutal Doom. In the time that has passed since DOOM 2016 released, Sergeant Mark IV has been busy carving out simply more for Brutal Doom and I'll be damned if he hasn't added some neat stuff in the meantime (grenades, dual-wielding, classic weapon set, etc). The last time I hosted a game for GAF we were on Brutal Doom v13, and we are now currently at v20b! In honor of the successful release of the DOOM reboot last year and my thirst for more pixel demon blood, I will be once again hosting a Brutal Doom server temporarily for NeoGAF, starting right now!

I have already updated the OP with relevant changes, trimming, and the latest server information. All you need to do is get your latest version of Zandronum, Doomseeker, and most importantly Brutal Doom running and join in the glorious cooperative carnage that is classic Doom with an extra kick ass skin. (Quote the OP see the password and IP address.)

Top Bottom