• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, what is the most disturbing/disgusting movie you've ever seen? *spoilers within*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably the first Hostile. The eye scene.

The Last Circus also had a few moments that I would qualify as disturbing. The trailer.

Really going for that low hanging fruit, eh?

tumblr_mz8yyvjIrl1qdlvg6o6_500.gif

Speaking of which, another nominee for disturbing is Santa Sangre

tumblr_mnjnuxoHu71sroq5qo1_250.gif

way more

If I'm watching something disgusting I am prepared and I know the context whether it be exploitative or simply soul crushing so the movies I'm mentioning both blindsided me. I thought I was getting one thing and then it is was disgusted by a new element.

Anti-Christ - I assumed this was a examination of grief and how parents process it but what it becomes is something else. I was unable to appreciate Melancholia because I kept too strong a lookout for Charlotte Gainsbourg freaking out. I hope my fear of her subsides by the time Independence Day 2 comes out.

The Lovely Bones - From the trailers it seemed obvious that this was a character study of Stanley Tucci as a pedophile. Maybe he's tortured by his thoughts and disgusted but it would be very dramatic and well acted. Instead it was about how being raped and murdered isn't so bad because you go to a candy cane heaven and you get a asian friend. And your family will have wacky grandma Susan Sarandon show up and put too much soap in the dishwasher. It sickening and I felt revulsion but I couldn't stop watching.

Gobias

Banned
I hear someone skull fucks a guy to death and rapes a newborn in A Serbian Film. Sounds really shitty and way too try hard.

Monocle

I try to avoid the really gut churning shit, so this will probably be a mild example to many people, but I was tremendously disturbed by the scene toward the end of Heavenly Creatures where
the girls bash the mother's skull in with a stone in a stocking, or something
. It felt horribly real to me in a way movie violence usually doesn't. I was shaken for a good day afterward.

That was some time ago. I'm not sure that it would affect me the same way now.

Mask

Cannibal Holocaust is pretty fucked up, especially when you realise that most of the animal deaths in the film were real.

The tarantula being killed with a machete was probably the worst part for me, because I own a tarantula. I freaking love spiders. They actually got fined for all the animal cruelty.

In terms of disgusting? Street Trash, Dead Alive, Zombie Flesh Eaters, Demons and Riki-oh all had pretty gross parts in them.

Steamlord

I try to avoid the really gut churning shit, so this will probably be a mild example to many people, but I was tremendously disturbed by the scene toward the end of Heavenly Creatures where
the girls bash the mother's skull in with a stone in a stocking, or something
. It felt horribly real to me in a way movie violence usually doesn't. I was shaken for a good day afterward.

That was some time ago. I'm not sure that it would affect me the same way now.

I'd say it's a good example precisely because of how thoroughly it contrasts with the rest of the film. That one moment is more shocking than the entirety of Dead Alive (which I adore, don't get me wrong, but it's an entirely different beast).

i try to stay away from horror/gross/disturbing films because of anxiety issues, but curiosity got the best of me and I watched the Human Centipede one night

and I remembered why I don't watch those movies.

it may be tame compared to some of the other movies mentioned in the thread, but it was enough to haunt me

The Lovely Bones - From the trailers it seemed obvious that this was a character study of Stanley Tucci as a pedophile. Maybe he's tortured by his thoughts and disgusted but it would be very dramatic and well acted. Instead it was about how being raped and murdered isn't so bad because you go to a candy cane heaven and you get a asian friend. And your family will have wacky grandma Susan Sarandon show up and put too much soap in the dishwasher. It sickening and I felt revulsion but I couldn't stop watching.
If you think the film is dismissive and disrespectful to it's subject matter, I don't know if it'll alter your view to know that the original book was written by a survivor and her main complaint with the adaptation is that the act is sanitized and not nearly harrowing enough.

EGM1966

If you think the film is dismissive and disrespectful to it's subject matter, I don't know if it'll alter your view to know that the original book was written by a survivor and her main complaint with the adaptation is that the act is sanitized and not nearly harrowing enough.
The issue with the film is that taking what worked as a literary device in the book and making it "real" by showing it visually produced entirely the opposite effect.

It's not deliberate and in fact it's clear they were trying to visually realize those elements of the book but it did have the side effect of making it look like it was okay to be murdered by a paedophile because "the other side" is so cool.

It's an interesting example of how you cannot always literally reproduce a narrative literary conceit in the film medium and safely produce the same result.

On topic I'd say mostly I'm not bothered b anything trying to be disgusting or disturbing.

Like others I'm more affected when it's more genuine or unexpected or more thematic.

So the murder of the mother in Heaveny Creatures, the laughter of the soldiers as Schindler has water hoses used to try and reduce the cruelty on the captives locked up in boiling carriages or the officer playing the piano as his soldiers find and kill hiding people in Schindkers List. The crying child left abandoned on the beach in Under The Skin.

Lagamorph

I tend to avoid stuff like Saw, Hostel, etc.
So for me it was the new Evil Dead. I couldn't make it past the hand cutting scene, I just felt too uncomfortable watching it.

Eraserhead disturbed the living crap out of me... Most disgusting is probably Cannibal Holocaust because of the turtle scene.

The scene in the new Evil Dead from a few years ago where the one chick is cutting her face open, and then John Lennon slips on some of her face flesh and fucks his back up by falling on a toilet.

Slice Face stabs John Lennon in the eye with a syringe like 6 times before he bashes her fuckin' head in with a sink or something.

I was like what bro.

Mistel

Banned
Probably Make them Die Slowly by Umberto Lenzi from the height of the cannibal boom has some rather graphic mutilation and someone being scalped and their brains eaten whilst still alive. I've only seen the BBFC approved one missing 6 minutes as the bits with animal torture and some of the more graphic violence were cut .

I watched Event Horizon completely blind a few years ago. I had no idea the movie would take the turn it did and was totally unprepared. I've read that some of the most disturbing stuff was cut from the film.

Anti-Christ - I assumed this was a examination of grief and how parents process it but what it becomes is something else. I was unable to appreciate Melancholia because I kept too strong a lookout for Charlotte Gainsbourg freaking out. I hope my fear of her subsides by the time Independence Day 2 comes out.

I came in to say this. The first two thirds of the movie were just really weird in the sense I totally had no idea where it was going and what it was really about. I however did appreciate the frequent occurrences of graphic sex. Then out of nowhere it takes this total left turn into WTF territory. (You know the exact spot if you've seen it.) I spent the rest of the movie going, "What... the... FUCK?!" I still don't know that I really understand what the movie was really about. Even weirder is I remember reading Lars Von Trier was going to make a video game sequel to the movie.

kyser73

Disgusting: Cannibal Holocaust

Disturbing: can't nail something that encompasses a whole movie. Similar to a poster above, I rarely go in to seeing a movie like these without contextualising it, and in the case of The Serbian Movie (for example) I was aware that it was a creation born of reaction and it aimed to get a reaction. While it's effective at what it aims to do, I came down on the 'trying too hard' side of things.

This UK public information ad from 1973 which I saw on heavy rotation during school holidays as a little kid has left me with an absolute fear of running on beaches, to the extent I get freaked out by other people doing it

http://youtu.be/0bU1varNCkY

Tetsuo is fucking awesome. It's pretty raw, but I don't know if I'd call it disturbing.

Does the movie have
the guy cutting his penis in half?

Nope but it did have
that guy getting his arm pulled off which seem very weird in the movie. More so was the Ichi's handler taking of his clothes revealing he was hugely muscular and bending that guy's neck. It's considered one of the most out there scenes in the movie because he does it once and there's no explanation like the steroids in the manga.

Must have been Cannibal Holocaust.
I was a kid when I watched parts of it and was really wondering if those guys were really eaten just for the sake of making a film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom