• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Award Nominee for Esports coach, didn't coach anyone this year

As soon as I saw this I knew what I had to do.
Screenshot_339.png

Fbh

I see your point about this awards, but I thinking more to do with awards in general. Film, tv, music, games.

I don't know.
My family used to liked watching the Oscars and I always thought it was boring as fuck. It's like some 3 hours show that goes to a commercial break every 20 seconds and no one really cares about most awards outside of moive, director and the various actors.

At least the Game Awards have reveals and trailer. (last year in particular was great in this regard).

Not sure why people bother. You can easily catch the trailers after the show, all at once. No need for the cringe.

True, but I guess people like to watch stuff live.

To be fair watching it live and shit talking about the event on the thread here isn't the worst way I've wasted my time. It's not like I'll cancel plans and make time to watch this live, but if it's on and I'm just not really doing anything relevant at the moment I might still check it out.

I see your point about this awards, but I thinking more to do with awards in general. Film, tv, music, games.

I'm surprised he hasn't won an award himself 'Best trainers and suit combo goes to....'
if you've seen one awards show, you've seen them all. awards shows are particular bunches of people throwing themselves nice parties, & letting the rest of us peek through the windows & watch...

Mozzarella

I am tired of pointing this out every year, but i always said there is no need for these awards in the show, they are meaningless padding, because:
1- Esports organizations and players never attended it, they announce the winners as a sideline in the show, in 2 minutes they go all over them, trash section. (actually sonicfox once appeared, most cringe moment in the show history)
2- Nobody who cares about the show and watches it, cares about this section of Esport awards, they are there for pointless showup from Geoff
3- Esports have their own awards show, let them stay there.

Instead of wasting time on shit like this, why not add best world or level design? why not add best animation? why not give other awards time to shine? why not add best horror? best controls? best combat? best anything gameplay related??
10 years later, still the same awards.
Decent show, i like watching it every year, but they are NOT learning anything!!!! :messenger_pouting:

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
I am tired of pointing this out every year, but i always said there is no need for these awards in the show, they are meaningless padding, because:
1- Esports organizations and players never attended it, they announce the winners as a sideline in the show, in 2 minutes they go all over them, trash section. (actually sonicfox once appeared, most cringe moment in the show history)
2- Nobody who cares about the show and watches it, cares about this section of Esport awards, they are there for pointless showup from Geoff
3- Esports have their own awards show, let them stay there.

Instead of wasting time on shit like this, why not add best world or level design? why not add best animation? why not give other awards time to shine? why not add best horror? best controls? best combat? best anything gameplay related??
10 years later, still the same awards.
Decent show, i like watching it every year, but they are NOT learning anything!!!! :messenger_pouting:

Its because of sponsors obviously. It always comes down to money

Do you really think Geoff cares about the integrity of these awards?

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
Cool, I might sign up as an e-Sports coach for next years awards. I’ve never coached anyone in anything ever, but who cares. My man Geoff got me covered.

Poplin

Fourth. How does Cyberpunk even qualify to be nominated as "Best Ongoing"?

The only thing ongoing about it over the last few years were patches to fix a broken game.
holy shit i somehow missed cyberpunk as best ongoing. My god by that definition any game that has ever had DLC is ongoing. Given most games receive post launch patches, does that mean they're all ongoing?

i really want the industry to have an awards show, but it really needs to be much better thought out. Also deeply upsetting there are four esports categories and not a single design or technical one.

Celebrate everyone but the actual devs.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Says the person trying to create a new thread each time on his anti-VGA crusade because his favorite game wasn't nominated.
Simple answer - remove this guy and replace him with a nomination for Starfield as best esports coach. Everyone's happy, Starfield gets a nomination, the esports coach category still has the same number of esports coaches, and the poor non-coaching guy doesn't have to attend the stupid award ceremony.

MMaRsu

Banned
Says the person trying to create a new thread each time on his anti-VGA crusade because his favorite game wasn't nominated.
Breh, you've not seen one post from me on that. Literally not once have I said that. I have never said that game should get a goty nomination. Ive never even said it deserves a nomination PERIOD.

But the game clearly lives rent free in your fucking head thats obvious. Now can you fucking focus on some shit that YOU LIKE or have any interest in discussing? Or are you going to stalk me in every thread like some bitch and bring up that game in every thread I post in? Jesus christ someones obsessed.

Last edited:

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
This awards show is such a joke
but this show isn't for awards, I think people are misunderstanding it because it has awards in its name, but it's really a place to reveal new games with half an hour devoted to "world premier" interstitials.

MMaRsu

Banned
but this show isn't for awards, I think people are misunderstanding it because it has awards in its name, but it's really a place to reveal new games with half an hour devoted to "world premier" interstitials.
Im aware its all a thinly veiled marketing / money making machine sure

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
The funny thing is, none of us care about esports anymore, either.

Totally true. That whole industry is hitting rock bottom . The boom came and went.

I can’t recall when I watched an entire fighting game tournament , counterstrike , dota , or StarCraft.

It’s all just doo doo. I think live streaming ate away a lot of that hype. Why care to see Tenz play Valorant on a team for one match when I can tune into him rip shit up live whenever ?

yurinka

He has himself requested to be taken off the list

Ofcourse we all know Geoff won't do that.

This awards show is such a joke

I assume Geoff and his team simply added the eSports and streamers categories there to get clicks and views but whoever voted this (as I remember it's the gaming media) have no idea about eSports.

In my case, I didn't vote anything about eSports other than voting EVO as best tournament because the only eSports I follow is Street Fighter and there wasn't any SF team, player etc. there

Last edited:

yurinka

The funny thing is, none of us care about esports anymore, either.
Totally true. That whole industry is hitting rock bottom . The boom came and went.

I can’t recall when I watched an entire fighting game tournament , counterstrike , dota , or StarCraft.

It’s all just doo doo. I think live streaming ate away a lot of that hype. Why care to see Tenz play Valorant on a team for one match when I can tune into him rip shit up live whenever ?

Maybe the people in this forums don't care about eSports (I only care about Street Fighter tournaments), but the eSports viewership keeps growing year after year, as does the amount of people playing online multiplayer.

So eSports are here to stay.

Hudo

I'd vote for E-Sports in the "most boring category in video games".

If Geoff had any cojones, he'd have a category "Most disappointing game of the year" and "Most disappointing developer of the year"

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Breh, you've not seen one post from me on that. Literally not once have I said that. I have never said that game should get a goty nomination. Ive never even said it deserves a nomination PERIOD.

But the game clearly lives rent free in your fucking head thats obvious. Now can you fucking focus on some shit that YOU LIKE or have any interest in discussing? Or are you going to stalk me in every thread like some bitch and bring up that game in every thread I post in? Jesus christ someones obsessed.
I saw another thread you created that the mods closed. I think you have one or two more in ya. Let's goooo!
200.gif

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Maybe the people in this forums don't care about eSports (I only care about Street Fighter tournaments), but the eSports viewership keeps growing year after year, as does the amount of people playing online multiplayer.

Receipts ?

I’m generally curious of this because in league last I heard it was all doom and gloom as teams pull out, funding is drying up, etc. OW league is of course dead. StarCraft gets no blizzard $ events.

Dota restructured the international and no longer is growing the prize pool year over year now is it?

The only scene that seems consistent is CS2.

yurinka

Receipts ?

I’m generally curious of this because in league last I heard it was all doom and gloom as teams pull out, funding is drying up, etc. OW league is of course dead. StarCraft gets no blizzard $ events.

Dota restructured the international and no longer is growing the prize pool year over year now is it?

The only scene that seems consistent is CS2.
Numbers change depending on what they include depending on the report, but there's consensus across all market analysis firms to say that the market has been growing and that (more or less, depending on the estimate) it will continue growing.

A few random examples:
image.png

image.png

image.png

Regarding specific games, obviously old ones at some point get discontinued and replaced by other ones. Same goes with prize pools, some go up and some go down.

As an exaple, Street Fighter 6 will have this year on its official series a prize pool of $2M, $1M of it for the winner. Which is smaller than some top eSports games, but it's a new record -by far- for fighting games.

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

Uh huh. Well, the profitability of it as something more than a distraction on Twitch would suggest otherwise.

mrmustard

Banned
Fourth. How does Cyberpunk even qualify to be nominated as "Best Ongoing"?

The only thing ongoing about it over the last few years were patches to fix a broken game.
Fifth - Hogwarts Legacy completely ignored.

Last edited:

yurinka

Uh huh. Well, the profitability of it as something more than a distraction on Twitch would suggest otherwise.
For the game companies eSports are basically a marketing tool to increase retention, monetization and user acquisition for these games.

Not sure about if, unlike paid ads on Google Ads, tv and so on, they are profitable or not by themselves directly. But at least indirectly (adding the benefit they provide to the games) they should be, because companies keep investing on them and seem to be pretty happy with the performance of the games.

Sojiro

I feel like a lot of people on this forum just stick their head in the sand whenever it comes to multiplayer and/or competitive gaming in general. eSports is growing, hell the school district I work in just got it's program up and running last year (for both the high school and middle school levels), and many, many more districts are getting theirs lit up. My oldest son (a senior) competes in 4 games and has already had a few colleges reach out to him to tour campus solely on the eSports angle because they are looking to grow their programs. Most places seem to just be getting started in the last few years, but the interest is there, and I imagine it will continue to grow.

Last edited:

mrmustard

Banned

There is an ignore list for people like him.

MMaRsu

Banned
There is an ignore list for people like him.
At this point it has been used for him as well :)

But i'd rather not block everyone on this forum, everyone can be a dick at times me included. But this guy is just annoying.
I wish he would just acknowledge that he's trying to egg me on for no reason whatsoever.

It's clear that game really fucked with people's heads.

Last edited:

mrmustard

Banned
At this point it has been used for him as well :)

But i'd rather not block everyone on this forum, everyone can be a dick at times me included. But this guy is just annoying.
I wish he would just acknowledge that he's trying to egg me on for no reason whatsoever.

It's clear that game really fucked with people's heads.
At first i only ignored threads, because i can tell by the title what kind of people and posts are in it. But that's getting exhausting. So i started ignoring people instead. I don't ignore for one or two posts, but you can easily see the pattern of people whos main purpose here is to gaslight, hate, bait and troll.

Top Bottom