• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAME INFORMER’S NEXT-GEN Survey Results

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
Wait....people really care more about faster loading times than better graphics or framerate?

oS2Mrz0.jpg

Better graphics is a given.

Loading times being something crazy like below 1 second are not. So we've already seen that Sony literally is able to have the better looking games even when not having the better hardware ie PS3 vs 360. Shit PS4 BASE vs XONE X. Developers still make games and Sony has a strong team of developers that know how to make shit look really good, so the community for the most part are not worried about 10TF vs 12TF.

To them, you are asking them to buy a system based on how God of War: Ragnarok will look like on 10TF vs not existing at all on 12TF..... They may not really give a fuck. As to why PS4 still moved monster units despite not being as powerful as XONE X.

So we all expect games to look great, but I don't believe less then 1 second load times was ever this expectation going into this gen as a normal thing.

Lethal01

Wait....people really care more about faster loading times than better graphics or framerate?

oS2Mrz0.jpg

I mean it depends, this isn't even talking about PS5 vs XBOX
I love play a hard game where I die constantly. Waiting "just" 12 second every time you die can get extremely frustrating and be the thing that makes you actually give up where as if there were no loading time you'd still be having fun and be ready to dive back in.

Hyrule Warriors having no loading after death is making it an absolute blast on max difficulty.
but 12 seconds of waiting for 100 deaths would make it extremely frustrating and feel like your time is being waste.

Now if the difference in graphics were a matter of one console being 2x stronger than the other it would be more complicated but I'm totally willing to just drop the resoltuion a little for a lot of game.

Last edited:
Another poll, another confirmation of the trend: It's gonna be a bloodbath.

And mind you, this is the hardcore English speaking base talking on English speaking media where the Xbox fanbase is disproportionately represented relative to the splits outside the U.S/UK etc.. like Europe, Japan and other regions...

On the one hand you have a manufacturer that built a next-gen controller, a next-gen U.I, gave you BC, and gives you exclusive AAA launch games on top of a well laid out Year 1 exclusive games roadmap.

On the other you have a mid-gen refresh dressed as a next-gen console launch. A focus on old games, and marketing a digital rental service like it's going out of business when similar services can be found elsewhere, and even cheaper, some arguably better.

I think it's a no brainer why the rest of the world ignores Xbox more or less. In NA, the masses are more susceptible to homemade marketing, plus of course the home team advantage. But even that market, just like when Japanese car giants beat homemade giants like GM and Chrysler to the ground... even in that market people eventually catch up and wake up, even if slowly.

I do have to say it's a good con.

Ek4-Qpm-Xg-AMf-Kar.jpg

Last edited:

Aidah

oS2Mrz0.jpg

I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case. Everything being instant or very fast is going to change the overall experience very significantly from the moment you turn on the console.

I'd say loading as an issue has been even worse than framerate this gen, and definitely much worse than graphics, which were actually pretty decent.

I/O is also by far the most improved aspect gen on gen. Both consoles going from the worst type of storage solution possible for the time, to the best type possible now, with Sony even going for the best among the best. Even as a mainly PC gamer I'm intrigued by it, as you won't have something on its level on PC for around another year.

And finally, the marketing has had a large focus on it.

I wonder how much life was wasted for the average console player this gen, waiting on loading.

Personally I didn't want to endure it, so I put an SSD in the PS4 even if it isn't nearly as effective as an SSD on a PC.

Last edited:

J____Av

This just goes to show that 56% are getting a PS5, but 38.5% are also getting an Xbox... and once the reality of the Zenimax deal starts hitting home with Starfield and ES6 trailers etc we can expect this gap to close and it will be a much closer race this gen than anyone wants to admit right now.
Zenimax deal is big. But its delusional to think the gap will close later in the gen. PS always gains more momentum as the gen goes on and Xbox always loses momentum as the gen goes on. Xbox's only chance is in the early part of a gen

Check the polls after the acquisition. They all look about the same as this

I posted a before and after poll in the post you just quoted.

It's significant that this survey was taken before the Zenimax acquisition because exclusive games are the number one deciding factor, not brand loyalty.

This just goes to show that 56% are getting a PS5, but 38.5% are also getting an Xbox... and once the reality of the Zenimax deal starts hitting home with Starfield and ES6 trailers etc we can expect this gap to close and it will be a much closer race this gen than anyone wants to admit right now.

That could definitely happen in fantasyland.

In reality, the overwhelming majority of PS3 and PS4 owners didn't purchase Bethesda software. Once you understand that it takes way way waaaaaaaaay bigger games to move the needle, then you'll see why the 'gap' won't be closing anytime soon. If Microsoft can lock up GTA, Fortnite, Fifa, the next Rocket League, and of course Call of Duty, then they'll absolutely get millions of PlayStation gamers to also buy an Xbox and or abandon the PS platform entirely. I don't see it happening but I could be wrong.

The correct answer to the survey is "Both", if not at launch, eventually. Don't miss out on awesome stuff from Sony and Microsoft. If Nintendo is your jam than add that as well!

II_JumPeR_I

Meh i will stay with Xbox. I get the games way cheaper there thanks to the option switching store regions.
Hell i bought AC Valhalla for 45€ instead of 70-80€ like people will have to on PS5.

Will be interesting how this gen will go. I hope Xbox gets their act together when it comes to the games and marketshare (especially europe)again. They already nailed Hardware and Services.

Tschumi

Hhhuuuuu fiah

Your thread title seems misleading.. you could be saying GAME INFORMERS' NEXT GEN bake off results

turtlepowa

Banned
A Microsoft fanboy worst fear, surveys and polls, because there are showing what its coming, reality its a bitch
They are more Sony fanboy's wet dreams than anything else. Is a console or game worse, because another console sold more units? I don't think so. I neither care if other companies sold more toasters, cars, vacuum cleaners or microwaves than the ones i bought from. Makes no difference.

Humdinger

Gold Member
That's pretty similar to how GAF polls have lined up, with about a 2.5 to 1 ratio in favor of PS5. However, it's good to keep in mind that what people say and what people do can be very different, and also, people self-select to vote in these polls, so they're always skewed by that. Other qualifiers: note the US/UK numbers are much closer (57/43), and they apparently didn't include the S version for Xbox (unless I missed it).

We'll have to see what the real sales data show, after the consoles have been on the market a while.

CouzinD

Sony have the brand, everyone knows it which is why PS5 will probably see it out again this time around.

Xbox have superb value with Gamepass, though. That’s it’s selling point.

Plantoid

Can't compete with Microsoft's value this gen, I'm not hardcore gamer, there's no way I'm paying 70$ per game, also, can't play with dualshock since I tried the xbox controller back in the 360 era (used it on pc)

Tiamat2san

Vg7YSb9.png

Also interesting...

Full data here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17v0a85RS6uOO8Im5UFH6EhIiHxUZ6Azja2qv7gpLgtE/edit#gid=0
I’ve discussed this with a colleague who is in console section in the store where I work.
Normally they sell 6 or 7 times more PlayStation and switch than Xbox consoles.
France is a PlayStation /Nintendo country.
But for pre-order it’s 65% vs 35% in favour of PS5.
Which a considerable bump from last gen preorders. (85/15%)

so maybe gamepass has an effect after all.

Top Bottom