• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAME INFORMER’S NEXT-GEN Survey Results

mejin

Which next-gen console are you most excited about?

01_0.jpg

Which next-gen console(s) do you plan to purchase?

02_0.jpg

And more here:

DonJorginho

Banned
I think MS blew it with a weak lineup of games. They had everything going for them. Great hardware, powerful and versatile. Great enhanced BC. But no big AAA games that sell consoles.
Xbox's main userbase don't care for that too much it seems, Gamepass and superior hardware are always going to sell numbers.

The good thing is, the class games are coming soon for Xbox, just a matter of how soon.

I think MS blew it with a weak lineup of games. They had everything going for them. Great hardware, powerful and versatile. Great enhanced BC. But no big AAA games that sell consoles.
But they will, and people will buy the console if they like the look of it enough. They have more studios than PS now, a polar opposite of this generation and if Sony were able to turn around the disaster of a launch that was the PS3, then surely Xbox can do the same, especially with Bethesda doing it with them.

People laughed at Xbox, until the 360 came and made Sony shit bricks, the same can happen again.

Survey was taken before the Zenimax acquisition, which we know has moved the needle

IGN's Next Gen Console Watch ran a poll of reader interest in next gen consoles before and after the Zenimax acquisition news. These polls typically have a lot of traffic, more than a Twitter poll, and I think it's interesting to see the difference despite many thinking it would have no effect.

After Zenimax acquisition
8E6AB4z.png

Before Zenimax acquisition
GfjqJYF.png

No doubt the needle will move further as Xbox exclusive games like TES6 and Starfield get shown.

Last edited by a moderator:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
But they will, and people will buy the console if they like the look of it enough. They have more studios than PS now, a polar opposite of this generation and if Sony were able to turn around the disaster of a launch that was the PS3, then surely Xbox can do the same, especially with Bethesda doing it with them.

People laughed at Xbox, until the 360 came and made Sony shit bricks, the same can happen again.
Sure. Even Sony salvaged the ps3 but that doesnt mean that these polls arent a complete disaster for MS.

Xbox's main userbase don't care for that too much it seems, Gamepass and superior hardware are always going to sell numbers.

The good thing is, the class games are coming soon for Xbox, just a matter of how soon.

And PS5 have objectively the superior hardware :messenger_savoring:

Majority dont stare tflop numbers, they look new features (ssd+controller mainly on next gen) and great games

And small numbers are technically numbers. Anyone whom believes that GP+12Tf is anywhere near enough to sell even 70% of what PS5 probably sells, is going to get dissapointed

At USA it will be more close, as Americans like domestic brands. Rest of the world? Massacre.

I know 40-50 console gamers, 30-40 want PS5, none wants xbox so far

Last edited:

DonJorginho

Banned

Majority dont stare tflop numbers, they look new features (ssd+controller mainly on next gen) and great games

And small numbers are technically numbers. Anyone whom believes that GP+12Tf is anywhere near enough to sell even 70% of what PS5 probably sells, is going to get dissapointed

At USA it will be more close, as Americans like domestic brands. Rest of the world? Massacre.

Those are all very valid points, and imo PS5 has overall more superior hardware with the SSD, Liquid Metal and the I/O controller, aswell as the haptic feedback in the Dualsense, but you're telling them to the wrong person, I am a fan of all areas of gaming and have a PS5 and XSX pre-ordered for this November, the console wars don't do anything for me outside of some mild jokes.

Agreed. The thing is they’ve had plenty of feedback on first party for years and the people saying Covid as a rebuff I don’t agree, these things take years of planning or they should anyway.

Content is paramount , when Sony and Microsoft talk about SSDs, Teraflops etc it’s like “alright, show us what games your making please”.

Well I wish that had been applied back in late 2013 in regards to capability, this forum had threads going more about a games resolution than the game itself.

Yoboman

PS3 was the follow up to the most successful console of all time. They certainly stumbled, but they only ever had to find a good price point to regain momentum

Xbox is not comparable. They are essentially needing to rebuild from scratch

MrS

Banned
Pretty damning on the face of it but I'd be more interested in an "exit poll" a month after launch so we can get a good idea of what people have actually picked up.

I disagree with you. Xbox core fans want good games. Microsoft's only successful consoles was the X360. it had many great games. Coincidence?

Alebrije

Playstation 5 is the best option at this moment because exclusives.

Xbox Series X has Game pass but no exclusive next gen games , The Halo fiasco hurts thier repuration and if they are allowed to buy Bethesda next year MS will need to remove Todd and other bad influences in order to improve and renovate Fallout and Elders S. The only IP good at this moment is Doom and is because Id.

Xbox could be a great console if it gets great exclusive IPs....so this is why I do not see future games like Fallout 5 or next Elders Scrols on PS5....unless MS decides to become a software company like Sega did.

Self

Wait....people really care more about faster loading times than better graphics or framerate?

oS2Mrz0.jpg

Loading times are a huge thing for me. I even quitted games because of that factor. PS5 and XSX will be a blessing for people like me. I can easily accept locked 30fps, but I hate loading times with a passion.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Which next-gen console are you most excited about?

01_0.jpg

Which next-gen console(s) do you plan to purchase?

02_0.jpg

And more here:

Whew, that's a blowout.... pretty much what I expected though. PlayStation never stopped delivering games and the next few years are already stacked with things like R&C, GT7, Horizon FW and GOW Ragnarok. To mention just a few.....

Gaming is a tough industry.... Amazon and Google are about to find out, you don't just get a few server farms and ring Ubisoft and whoever else and throw up a few games and expect it to take off. It doesn't work like that!

PS5 has a tremendous amount of momentum globally, so these numbers make sense. I think both consoles will do huge numbers at launch, but unless Microsoft can buyout the whole videogame industry, a lot of people just won't switch to Xbox. Stranger things have happened, but the combination of incredible first-party games + the fastest console in history means that outperforming PlayStation is going to be a motherfucking challenge and a half.

Wait....people really care more about faster loading times than better graphics or framerate?

oS2Mrz0.jpg

Count me in that group.

I absolutely want a big visual upgrade over current gen, however, what I want more is being able to just get into gameplay without waiting...and waiting....and more waiting.....and waiting again....and more waiting again......

No surprise there. It's on Xbox to utilize it's advantages now to gain more mindshare and positive public perception. Need those studios to make high quality games and continue to bolster game pass.

PlayStation has left the door wide open for them, the heads have decided to be more content with PS4 part 2 rather than innovating in the digital space.

Personally, I'm not sure Xbox can do it. They have the tools but I have seen them fall flat on their face by getting sidetracked before. It will be interesting to watch it unfold. Sony has the headstart but imho, it's Microsoft's game to lose.

Last edited:

MrS

Banned
Never buy your console based on launch window games. It's a long term investment.
Very true. I always wonder why people advise against buying consoles at launch. The earlier you get it, the more use you get out of it because it's an investment. Waiting is pointless if you can afford it imho. Had every PS console at launch and got tremendous value out of them all.

Last edited:

DonJorginho

Banned
I disagree with you. Xbox core fans want good games. Microsoft's only successful consoles was the X360. it had many great games. Coincidence?
Xbox has shifted I feel, for sure you're right there with the 360, but Xbox has changed their stance as has their active userbase.

I know there are many Xbox fans who want quality games though just like yourself.

splattered

This just goes to show that 56% are getting a PS5, but 38.5% are also getting an Xbox... and once the reality of the Zenimax deal starts hitting home with Starfield and ES6 trailers etc we can expect this gap to close and it will be a much closer race this gen than anyone wants to admit right now.

Top Bottom