• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
What?? After least season's cliffhanger? What is this bullshit.

I don't mind a season more without the children of the forest. I fuckin loved that stuff last season, but I don't mind them holding it back a while longer. I like how magic is often in the peripheral with this show. It feels really grounded, and then you're suddenly like, "Oh yeah... dragons." There's a subdued supernatural element to the show that works for me. I love it when they go all out too, but there's something that just works when it's not the focus. Children of the forest imo bring the supernatural magic front and center. While even the dragons, resurrections and other magic stuff from past seasons somehow doesn't demand as much attention.

At least for me.

edit: oh wow... turns out there's an interesting reason for not showing more. haha

Nameless

Can't wait for the Khaleesi show to come back on air. So excited.

tumblr_lkjzehMjZx1qaalrko1_400.gif

At this point I only have one foot left on the Daeny train. Part of me still roots for her, but a bigger part is looking forward to seeing how she adds to her comedy of errors:

-Left Slaver's Bay looking like Iraq post US withdrawal
-Tired of 'ruling' after hearing three grievances
-Banging a mercenary she just met
-Never once attempted to train, if not somewhat tame her Dragons.
-Exiled the person looking out for her interests the most

Daeny is guided almost completely by whatever emotion she's feeling at the time. Her effortlessly regal presence and molten hot confidence make it easy for her followers(and fans like me) to overlook her overall lack of critical thinking and leadership ability, I suppose. Hopefully these are just growing pains.

Rur0ni

Daeny is guided almost completely by whatever emotion she's feeling at the time. Her effortlessly regal presence and molten hot confidence make it easy for her followers(and fans like me) to overlook her overall lack of critical thinking and leadership ability, I suppose. Hopefully these are just growing pains.
Indeed... I want to see more.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
For whatever reason, I don't nitpick this show. Ever. I just watch and watch, and watch again. No major complaints. No minor complaints. Love the cast, dialog, pacing.

With one exception... when Daeny sealed two of the dragons in the cistern/dungeon area. First, the damn metal collars were too heavy for her to pick up like she did. And it looked dumb when she put them on the dragons. Second, um... why would that work? The last time those dragons were manacled they turned them to ash. Third, how is that a good idea? They are gonna get pissed. And really, really hungry.

Idk... that to me seems like the dumbest thing the character has done on the show. It also just looked really bad.

As mentioned earlier and as we have done in the past, if people in this thread are curious about something from the books, we have a few members that have volunteered to be available to answer questions via PM.

I have added links to the profiles for PhoenixDark, foxtrot3d, and Brakke in the spoiler section of the OP.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
At this point I only have one foot left on the Daeny train. Part of me still roots for her, but a bigger part is looking forward to seeing how she adds to her comedy of errors:

All these other pretenders have spent their entire lives being trained as douchey little nobles. They were given the best training, by the best teachers. Dany was thrown into the deep end with no training wheels at all. I'm with you in hoping that she learns from all of this, and becomes the leader we know she can be. Of all the claimants to the throne, she perhaps has the kindest and noblest of hearts. She needs to learn to match that with skillful governance.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I'm ready to get my soul crushed, eaten and then shat upon me.

Again.

PS: Please everybody do the right thing and subscribe to this thread as per Steelyuhas suggestion in order to avoid clicking on the book thread by accident. I did that a few times during the previous seasons and I spoiled myself almost each one of them :(

Vashetti

Banned
My girlfriend is catching up with the show. She up to S3 and hates Sansa's guts.

I can't wait for the swerve.

I really liked her all along. I always imagined the potential with all the political aspects of her story and how she's essentially a sponge, soaking up everything people say to her.

jwhit28

For those who have read the books as well, I'm just about finished A Storm of Swords. Will I be able to drop right in and know whats going on in the season 5 premiere or should I try to finish A Feast for Crows this weekend too? It was too expensive to catch up using the show.

Vashetti

Banned
For those who have read the books as well, I'm just about finished A Storm of Swords. Will I be able to drop right in and know whats going on in the season 5 premiere or should I try to finish A Feast for Crows this weekend too? It was too expensive to catch up using the show.

We shouldn't really be dragging book talk into here, but word is this season is merging both A Feast For Crows and A Dance With Dragons, as they both occur roughly at the time.

So unless you can read both books in that time, I doubt it'd be very useful.

I liked Sansa since the Ned's head on a pike scene at the end of season one. That's sort of when it hit me that Sansa is no less of a Stark than any of them.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

Book talk is basically banned from this thread since it tends to get out of hand really fast. You should probably contact through PM one of the friendly book readers, we used to have a list in past seasons with a number of gaffers willing to respond to our questions.

I liked Sansa since the Ned's head on a pike scene at the end of season one. That's sort of when it hit me that Sansa is no less of a Stark than any of them.

It was S2 Sansa for me. Her "I'll pray for all of you" little conversation with Tyrion when the battle of Blackwater was about to begin was amazing.

With that said, I just cannot wait to see the new Spanish locales used for Dhorne. As a matter of fact, I can't wait for anything Dhorne-related. Oberyn was such an amazing character, and looking at the bad blood between the Lannisters and the Martells I'm dead sure his death is going to set some major shit in motion.

Carbonox

I hope we see Jaqen again and if so the same actor returns cos he rocked it.

Bought the season 4 boxset to give it a run through again to refresh my memory before this starts too.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
And that's why I love her. I'll follow her to the ends of the earth.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
must not care for characters after the red wedding, i hope everyone gets eaten by white walkers

My girlfriend has been becoming increasingly angry to each dramatic death since Eddard's. She's up to Rodrik's now.

I'm not sure what's going to happen to her when she reaches the Red Wedding and THEN Oberyn's (knowing her the way I know her, she's about to fall in love with the character as soon as he shows up).

Volimar

Great OP. Cannot wait.

So we haven't heard from Robert's bastard since the onion knight saved him, right? I guess he just rowed off into obscurity.

subbing. Not going into the book thread by mistake again this year. next year, of course, may not be such a problem.

Gonna watch the last few eps of S4 this week so that my body is ready.

tl;dr Fuck Yeah!

Skunkers

Speaking for myself, I don't really have any problem with Daeny, except one:

The best thing about this show is that anything can happen to any character. Anybody can die at any time, you just don't know. Except for Daeny. She has plot armor because she's been completely isolated from the continent where everything is happening; her entire plotline would be completely and utterly pointless if she dies before she makes any kind of influence on the main continent. So I'm tired of waiting for her to get there. FWIW, I don't think she's gonna die anyway, but I'd at least like some tension there, which she's been totally immune to for the past four seasons.

iNvid02

My girlfriend has been becoming increasingly angry to each dramatic death since Eddard's. She's up to Rodrik's now.

I'm not sure what's going to happen to her when she reaches the Red Wedding and THEN Oberyn's (knowing her the way I know her, she's about to fall in love with the character as soon as he shows up).

yup, its best to not feel those feels ever again. i cant even imagine what future deaths might entail if he wants to top those two

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom