• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I know! I've seen so many pictures of her where she's making a screw face. She seems like a really happy kid.

The picture is just great though, everyone other than Conan and Gilly has a different expression. Is that Alfie in the back? Soon.

Wtf...I had no idea Gilly (Hannah Murray) was that thin in real life. They make her look quite a bit bigger on the show.

In any case, she's really pretty.

Curufinwe

Some entirely expected casting news that I will spoiler tag just to be extra cautious.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/tv-radio/70228975/bran-stark-is-coming-back-to-game-of-thrones

Actor Isaac Hempstead Wright who plays Bran Stark confirmed he will be back on set for the new season.

"I can't say a lot, but I am back this season, and its going to get particularly interesting with Bran," Wright told the Irish Examiner.

"He has some interesting visions."

Game of Thrones showrunner, David Benioff has divulged a few details about how the show will move forwards with Bran's story.

Comparing his long absence to that of Luke Skywalker in Star Wars, Benioff told Entertainment Weekly that the show will most likely see Bran after his training is complete.

"Like, it would be far less interesting, after The Empire Strikes Back to have an hour-long movie in between Empire and Return of the Jedi where Luke is training, Benioff said. Its so much cooler to cut from end of Empire to beginning of Return, where he's become the Jedi."

So stupid but I love it.
5126944_989c3e22de674cb50bf579d3a27ae811.jpg

mokeyjoe

A question for all of you native English speakers - are you familiar with all (or most) of the words used in the books? English is not my first language but I speak it on gaf, read it on the internet, watch it on films and tv shows and hear it in music... yet there's still a shit load of words I have no idea existed.

There's like a dozen words in the first 30 pages that I have never heard before in my life. It doesn't surprise me since they are not commonly used words and I'm generally not really interested in something where they may be used in, but it still left me wondering how much of these words do you guys know?

It's not an issue since I understand the context they are being used in (mostly describing something in great detail), but I still open the dictionary when I finish a chapter and look up the words

Most of them yes (as a reasonably well educated Brit). There were a couple I looked up. I think 'puissant' was one. And 'callow' as I always get it mixed up with 'sallow'. But they aren't words you'll hear much in conversation, and are deliberately a little old fashioned - like the use of the word 'craven' for coward.

Ferrio

Banned
Went to a Rush concert last night. During the spoken portion of "Roll The Bones" Peter Dinklage was shown on a video lip syncing the lyrics. Guess he's a Rush fan, more reason to love him.

Zaph

Ugh, this is why it's pointless to end a season of a popular show on a death cliffhanger. It's impossible to keep under wraps.

Khaz

Don't get your hopes up, he will come back as a zombie like the wilding girl
and they will make baby zombies

this show is big enough for the producers to pay Kit for a three month holiday in Belfast without filming any new scenes just because they know there will be massive speculation if he is seen.

mujun

Rewatching seasons 1 through 4.

Two questions about season 2.

Why did Bran take the meister's advice and decide to go to the wall. Didn't Rob's men have Winterfell surrounded when Theon was in there? Why didn't Bran just go with them to Rob? Safer and easier than going to the Wall surely.

Also the men on the Wall rang the bell three times when they saw the huge army of white walkers that ignored Sam. How come there aren't any white walkers anywhere near the wall until season 5? Where were the ones at the end of season 2 off to?

Szeth

Also the men on the Wall rang the bell three times when they saw the huge army of white walkers that ignored Sam. How come there aren't any white walkers anywhere near the wall until season 5? Where were the ones at the end of season 2 off to?

A common misconception is that the walkers at the end of season 2 were heading for the wall. They were heading for the fist of the first men, where the night's watch camp was set up. That battle happened at the start of season 3 (they just played battle sounds over a black screen) and the walkers killed most of the watch there and forced the rest to retreat. Those bells would have been rang by some scouts they had sent out as everything happening there was well north of the wall.

Basically the walkers just wanted to kill the watch that were north of the wall and add to their army, which they did. It's unfortunate the show didn't have the budget to show the battle as many people still don't understand what happened there.

Ogni-XR21

Why did Bran take the meister's advice and decide to go to the wall. Didn't Rob's men have Winterfell surrounded when Theon was in there? Why didn't Bran just go with them to Rob? Safer and easier than going to the Wall surely.

So I'll answer question no. 2
From what I remember Winterfell was surrounded by Bolton's men (the audience just didn't know that yet), with Ramsey being the one blowing the horn all the time driving Theon up the walls. I'm not sure, but didn't Bran and friends escape before Ramsey laid siege on Winterfell?

mujun

So I'll answer question no. 2
From what I remember Winterfell was surrounded by Bolton's men (the audience just didn't know that yet), with Ramsey being the one blowing the horn all the time driving Theon up the walls. I'm not sure, but didn't Bran and friends escape before Ramsey laid siege on Winterfell?

When they emerged from the crypts the whole place was trashed so I'm pretty sure that the siege had finished. Also the Boltons were with Rob so it shouldn't have stopped Bran and the others from going with them. Red Wedding is still a ways off.

Ovid

Question 1: Robb was fighting a war. Maester Luwin doesn't believe in WW so the safer option was with Jon. Think of it like if the president was in danger. You don't want te VP in the same place. If Robb died, Bran and Rickon are the last surviving heirs that can further the Stark line.

Also, Bran left Winterfell before Ramsey (blowing the annoying horn lol) surrounded it.

Corpekata

Banned
Bran hadn't left before it was surrounded. It was revealed they were hiding in the crypts and just couldn't be found.

Bran left because the men Robb charged to take back Winterfell sacked it and at that point clearly couldn't be trusted.

Ovid

A common misconception is that the walkers at the end of season 2 were heading for the wall. They were heading for the fist of the first men, where the night's watch camp was set up. That battle happened at the start of season 3 (they just played battle sounds over a black screen) and the walkers killed most of the watch there and forced the rest to retreat. Those bells would have been rang by some scouts they had sent out as everything happening there was well north of the wall.

Basically the walkers just wanted to kill the watch that were north of the wall and add to their army, which they did. It's unfortunate the show didn't have the budget to show the battle as many people still don't understand what happened there.
I still don't get why they ignored Sam.

Are they so cocky that they wanted him to run back to the The Wall to tell the others how large of an army they had? Sort of like what the Night's King did with Jon at Hardhome?

Bran hadn't left before it was surrounded. It was revealed they were hiding in the crypts and just couldn't be found.

Bran left because the men Robb charged to take back Winterfell sacked it and at that point clearly couldn't be trusted.
EDIT: You're right.

Luwin died at the heart tree and they left.

Also, the Bolton men didn't sack Winterfell at that point. From what I remember, they surrounded Theon's men and took back Winterfell (Robb's orders) but Bran and Rickon where already gone.

Ramsey got ahold of Theon and Roose made a deal with Tywin and Walder Frey. That would eventually become the Red Wedding and it all went to shit.

ComputerBlue

Gold Member
Think of it like if the president was in danger. You don't want te VP in the same place. If Robb died, Bran and Rickon are the last surviving heirs that can further the Stark line.

I think this is the best way of looking at it.

Also sending them towards Robb would have sent them blindly searching for him since I don't think they knew exactly where he was, not to mention could have moved camp at any given time. Would have also sent them towards the enemy, towards the war, the Lannisers and Pyke, even though they are islands you don't want to risk having them kidnapped by some random Iron Born or stray Lannister banner men. Where as there is nothing between Winterfell and Castle Black so it was definitely a much safer journey.

Are they so cocky that they wanted him to run back to the The Wall to tell the others how large of an army they had? Sort of like what the Night's King did with Jon at Hardhome?

Yeah I always wondered the same thing, unless they explain it by series end it would have been better if the WW just didn't notice him. Not to mention all the Wights he had with him, none of them noticed him? lol I'd assume they would have attacked if they did since they seem pretty mindless.

Szeth

The White Walkers control the wights so they wouldn't do anything on their own. And we know the White Walkers are intelligent beings so I just assume they thought Sam was no threat or use to them and didn't feel the need to kill him. Letting him live to report back what he saw works too.

Corpekata

Banned

EDIT: You're right.

Luwin died at the heart tree and they left.

Also, the Bolton men didn't sack Winterfell at that point. From what I remember, they surrounded Theon's men and took back Winterfell (Robb's orders) but Bran and Rickon where already gone.

Ramsey got ahold of Theon and Roose made a deal with Tywin and Walder Frey. That would eventually become the Red Wedding and it all went to shit.

They surrounded them and took the Ironborn but left Winterfall a desolate ruin. Bran was still there when Theon was defeated. Luwin was stabbed because he tried to defend Theon, then Theon's 2nd in command stabbed Luwin and knocked out Theon, and they left to go surrender.

When we see Bran and company emerge from the crypts and find Luwin, it's clear Winterfell has been abandoned after being ransacked. Great swathes of the area are burnt to the ground and we know the Ironborn didn't do that because we saw their surrender earlier.

ComputerBlue

Gold Member
The White Walkers control the wights so they wouldn't do anything on their own. And we know the White Walkers are intelligent beings so I just assume they thought Sam was no threat or use to them and didn't feel the need to kill him. Letting him live to report back what he saw works too.

We've seen Wights attack without command on several occasions though.

The series starts with something similar though with the deserter and the WW who throws the other crows head at his feet. Obviously let him live as well.

Szeth

We've seen Wights attack without command on several occasions though.

The series starts with something similar though with the deserter and the WW who throws the other crows head at his feet. Obviously let him live as well.

With White Walkers around though? Going by end of Hardhome they have complete control. The way they all stopped on command at the same time. If they're left alone or sent out could just set them to aggro :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom