• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayb

So I just got to the bit where: ASoS
The Red Viper dies to Gregor, and I'm so pissed. No sooner had I named him one of my new favourite characters than he died. For the first time in the entire book, I put the book down and almost threw it across the room I was so annoyed.
yeah that pissed me off way more than the red wedding.

Apath

ouNBW.jpg
I don't know why but I can't stop laughing at this picture.

Ah, I didn't see the specific episode name under the VFX nomination. If you asked me a week ago I'd have said for sure Blackwater would have been the one to nominate.

I probably wouldve been in the same boat, but looking at the last episode, there was some stunningly subdued stuff in it.

The Red Viper dies to Gregor, and I'm so pissed. No sooner had I named him one of my new favourite characters than he died. For the first time in the entire book, I put the book down and almost threw it across the room I was so annoyed.

I had the exact same feeling when I read it. I almost didn't believe it when Oberyn actually had the upper hand against Gregor, and I was cheering wildly when it finally seemed like some sort of justice was about to be served. The scene was so intense that I actually felt a little sick when GRRM describes how Gregor crushes Oberyns face while he shouts out about how he raped Elia Martell. In hindsight, that chapter might be my favorite from the entire series. I was at the edge of my seat throughout the entire chapter. I really hope the TV show manage to do that scene justice, and depict it as just as shocking and raw as it was in the books. (Too bad that season 1 Gregor is gone, as I felt that he showed the perfect form of rage that was required for such a scene)

Ark

I had the exact same feeling when I read it. I almost didn't believe it when Oberyn actually had the upper hand against Gregor, and I was cheering wildly when it finally seemed like some sort of justice was about to be served. The scene was so intense that I actually felt a little sick when GRRM describes how Gregor crushes Oberyns face while he shouts out about how he raped Elia Martell. In hindsight, that chapter might be my favorite from the entire series. I was at the edge of my seat throughout the entire chapter. I really hope the TV show manage to do that scene justice, and depict it as just as shocking and raw as it was in the books.

It did feel as if there was finally some justice in this part of book 3. Most of part 2 ASoS has all been dark and death, but it seemed as if at least something good was going to happen, but nope, my hopes and dreams were crushed.

I was fine with the Red Wedding, I didn't really care about Robb. But, I liked The Red Viper and I was hoping he would win because Gregor was so arrogant and it would have pissed off Cersei.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Regarding current ASOS discussion...

Red viper was an idiot. He had the fight won and put himself in arms reach of Clegane. He was a good character, but ultimately is a far less tragic death than others, because he brought it on himself.

Massa

Red viper was an idiot. He had the fight won and put himself in arms reach of Clegane. He was a good character, but ultimately is a far less tragic death than others, because he brought it on himself.

(SERIES SPOILER)
Problem is that the Mountain looked like he was lost already. Any other man would've been dead, the guy was just freakishly resistant to pain and poison.

It did feel as if there was finally some justice in this part of book 3. Most of part 2 ASoS has all been dark and death, but it seemed as if at least something good was going to happen, but nope, my hopes and dreams were crushed.

To be honest I thought it was going a little well in that scene simply because
tyrion had already survived one duel... The entire time i was thinking Tyrion has a guardian angel watching and then BAM

Tacitus_

I wonder how they'll manage with the huge scenes that are supposed to happen in the coming seasons. I mean, GURM describes one scene with 80k people in it. Sheesh.

jayb

I'm fine with Dinklage getting an emmy nom, but no way should he win. Aaron Paul or Giancarlo Esposito has my vote.

Dinklage did absolutely nothing outstanding this season, he was merely competent. He got his one emmy for this show, he won't get another.

I'm not saying he should win over some of the other nominees, but I think people being upset about him being nominated is crazy.

Oh well, to each their own.

Ark

That's what annoyed me. That George would write him in to be so stupid. Clegane was on his back bleeding from armpit, knee and with a poisoned spear in his chest. And Oberyn had his greatsword, all he had to do cut him to pieces slowly if needs be, or just leave Clegane to die.

If Clegane doesn't die from his wounds, then I'll just be genuinely angry at the story for the first time.

Tacitus_

Book 3 is vastly considered to be the best. Book 4 and 5 are lesser liked books since GURM mostly laid groundwork in them and explored some new things(and some not so new) that pissed people off.

So there are two buses that come past my apartment, one goes to the bookstore, the other to safeway. I decided to take the first one that came and let it choose my fate.

I bought groceries. Guess I'm waiting for the paperback.

Iksenpets

Banned
Dinklage did absolutely nothing outstanding this season, he was merely competent. He got his one emmy for this show, he won't get another.

ASOS
I could see him getting it again in season 4. His speech railing against his trial for finding him guilty of nothing more than being a dwarf and his final confrontation with Tywin seem like total Emmy bait.

MNC

Nearing the end of ASoS. This book was such a thrillride, seriously. Holy shit. I only have half the last chapter + the epilogue to go. I'll have to try and form my own opinion on AFFC but people seem to dislike it so... A bad GRRM book is still good, no? :(

Masoria

Neo Member
Nearing the end of ASoS. This book was such a thrillride, seriously. Holy shit. I only have half the last chapter + the epilogue to go. I'll have to try and form my own opinion on AFFC but people seem to dislike it so... A bad GRRM book is still good, no? :(
I liked it better on the second reading

UraMallas

Valar Morghulis was the last episode, so you know all of the makeup and special effects were for
The Others and Wights

Why did they decide on Valar Morgulis over Blackwater for special effects. I get the Wights but did you guys see that green mushroom cloud explosion? I mean, c'mon. I figured that would be a shoe-in.

TehOh

I actually really enjoyed AFFC. Go into it expecting a bit of a breather after ASOS. It's not a thrill ride, but it does have some fantastic character moments and world-building.

Masoria

Neo Member
Same here. I've enjoyed rereading all of them, but particularly Feast. It's not my favorite, but it improved the most on my second time through.
I didn't like rereading ADWD. I felt like it dragged the second time, and I really liked it the first. Go figure.

Are you talking about book 4 or 5? What you're saying makes no sense in any way for Storm of Swords (apart from the well-written bit).

I was referring to his suggestion that it goes downhill after Book 3. I replied that AFFC isn't at all that bad. In fact, it still has its high points to be sure. But definitely lacks the pacing of the first three.

jett

D-Member
It should have been his season too,but it never felt like it.

Yeah...I thought his was gonna be the YEAR OF TYRION.

But it was not. :| He was definitely the main character in the book, but it never felt like that in the show.

ASOS
I could see him getting it again in season 4. His speech railing against his trial for finding him guilty of nothing more than being a dwarf and his final confrontation with Tywin seem like total Emmy bait.

I guess it's possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom