• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah the only thing that potentially should have been nominated was Alfie Allen. This should have been Tyrions seasons, but it never really felt like it. Theons storyline was about the only thing that measured up.

Sounds like a joke to me :)

Edit: actually it definitely deserved the nom for casting, they do a really great job there. If only they knew what to do with the actors

the nom?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
It's funny how in the book by this point in the show Arya has killed at least 5-7 people and was directly involved with the killing of even more with (COK Book Spoilers)
the Weasel Soup
and Jaquen's assassinations. In the show she's killed one person.

1 Stable Boy
I'd give Arya at least 3 kills in the Amory Lorch Fight.
1 The Northmen

Did Jon Snow
even kill one of the Wildings
during the scene where in the book
him and the other guy ambush the wildlings at the top of the mountain
?

gutshot

It's funny how in the book by this point in the show Arya has killed at least 5-7 people and was directly involved with the killing of even more with COK Book
the Weasel Soup and Jaquen's assassinations.
In the show she's killed one person.

1 Stable Boy
I'd give Arya at least 3 kills in the Amory Lorch Fight.
1 The Northmen

Did Jon Snow
even kill one of the Wildings
during the scene where in the book
him and the other guy ambush the wildlings at the top of the mountain
?

Mild series spoilers
The writers have stated they are purposefully slowing down her character's progression since they are looking at the big picture. Basically, they want her to have a slower descent since they anticipate this show being on the air for years to come and having her turn into a cold-blooded killer in season two is too soon.

They say that but Harrenhal was the best time to get the ball rolling minus radical departures from the source, which at this point I welcome and fear.

ASOS
she spends the first half of the book roaming around

They say that, but Harrenhal was the best time to get that ball rolling. Unless they're going to do radical departures from the book, which at this point I both welcome and fear.

GoT has no chance to win the Best Drama award and the fact that they were even nominated is ridiculous given how many great dramas are currently being produced. It just goes to show the prestige value of being on HBO.

that doesn't really answer what I was responding to. they were nominated in another "serious category" which I guess means the big ones even though any nomination is serious. Now, whether it's deserved or not is entirely opinion, but debating what constitutes seriousness is sorta ridiculous.

Jonm1010

Banned
Alfie Allen should have been nominated and I'm surprised backwater wasn't the episode nominated for best visual effects. That was one of the most incredible and epic episodes in TV history.

Basically, they want her to have a slower descent since they anticipate this show being on the air for years to come and having her turn into a cold-blooded killer in season two is too soon.

In other words, they (HBO) don't want to visually depict a child in the early teen years killing people in cold-blood. Instead they'll wait till shes 16 or 17.. (aFFC)
So maybe we will see her kill that horny black brother who travels with Sam in Feast
which I assume would be around season 5 or 6.

Levi

Banned
All you Alfie Shippers are nuts.

Newest baby-name popularity index includes Theon as one of the top ones.

:/

Love Theon, but naming your baby after a user of women and a murderer of children?

SMH.

This is why you read the books before you name your kids after a character you don't know the progression of.

I'd imagine it will win a lot of the technical awards. Not sure about a Dinklage repeat, given the strong return of Breaking Bad/Aaron Paul; I thought his performance was much better than Dinklage's.

Honestly I think the only reason it got a best show nom is because it's on HBO. I haven't seen BE S2 (quit after the rather average first season) but GoT is easily the worst show of those nominated imo. Homeland should win, but I'd bet on Mad Men.

Love Theon, but naming your baby after a user of women and a murderer of children?

SMH.

This is why you read the books before you name your kids after a character you don't know the progression of.

ADWD
if they do the shit-covered sorta-human he becomes, it'll be kind of funny

sorry didn't mean to make you cry Monte

I don't think anyone is saying he isn't great, just that the performance is almost one dimensional compared to what Aaron Paul has done with Jesse in Breaking Bad.

I'd agree with that to an extent, but people have been acting like Dinklage's season 2 performance is mediocre. It's a great performance, in a great role, and it's great to see recognition for it.

Massa

In other words, they (HBO) don't want to visually depict a child in the early teen years killing people in cold-blood. Instead they'll wait till shes 16 or 17.. (aFFC)
So maybe we will see her kill that horny black brother who travels with Sam in Feast
which I assume would be around season 5 or 6.

But they already depicted that in season 1. Arya basically spends ACOK and ASOS
living a hard life and having to kill a few people, since the show is going to cover that in three seasons it makes sense to slow down that progression or her storyline could get quite boring.

Also the people complaining about that slowdown ignore that it allowed them to develop Tywin's character quite a bit, which was a brilliant change for TV if you ask me.

I'd agree with that to an extent, but people have been acting like Dinklage's season 2 performance is mediocre. It's a great performance, in a great role, and it's great to see recognition for it.

I think some of it has to do with it being a repeat of the S1 performance in many ways: swagger, snark, and a battle speech. I'd imagine S3 will feature more emotional range given the situation Tyrion found himself in at the end of S2/ACOK.

But they already depicted that in season 1. Arya basically spends ACOK and ASOS
living a hard life and having to kill a few people, since the show is going to cover that in three seasons it makes sense to slow down that progression or her storyline could get quite boring.

Also the people complaining about that slowdown ignore that it allowed them to develop Tywin's character quite a bit, which was a brilliant change for TV if you ask me.

Not really... They certainly built her character up through out the season to be able to take care of herself, but she never used any of it. Killing the stable boy was more an accident than anything else and the Assault on the nights watch group was poorly handled in my opinion (outside of Yoren going out like a badass). Perhaps they will turn their attention to her more violent side next season, but the opportunities presented themselves in book 2 more so than book 3, so I can only wonder where her story will pick up next season,
especially considering a certain Jaqen victim is no longer available for her Needle vengeance :p

In my opinion, it was never about how hard her life was in the books for me, but rather how she coped with it all and that involved a string of violence that the show did not present to the viewers.
I just wanted to hear her yell WINTERFELL!
is that so much to ask? :(

I'd imagine it will win a lot of the technical awards. Not sure about a Dinklage repeat, given the strong return of Breaking Bad/Aaron Paul; I thought his performance was much better than Dinklage's.

Honestly I think the only reason it got a best show nom is because it's on HBO. I haven't seen BE S2 (quit after the rather average first season) but GoT is easily the worst show of those nominated imo. Homeland should win, but I'd bet on Mad Men.

You should check out BE season 2. I wasn't a big fan of the first season either, but the second season was amazing.

Of the shows nominated I've only seen BE, GoT and Breaking Bad. I thought BE was the best followed by breaking bad followed by...

Not that it matters, mad men will win.

Not really... They certainly built her character up through out the season to be able to take care of herself, but she never used any of it. Killing the stable boy was more an accident than anything else and the Assault on the nights watch group was poorly handled in my opinion (outside of Yoren going out like a badass). Perhaps they will turn their attention to her more violent side next season, but the opportunities presented themselves in book 2 more so than book 3, so I can only wonder where her story will pick up next season,
especially considering a certain Jaqen victim is no longer available for her Needle vengeance :p

In my opinion, it was never about how hard her life was in the books for me, but rather how she coped with it all and that involved a string of violence that the show did not present to the viewers.
I just wanted to hear her yell WINTERFELL!
is that so much to ask? :(

The head on the nail, you hit it.

SMH.

Hey, he's getting his wish. He said this would happen in the speech.

Iksenpets

Banned
that doesn't really answer what I was responding to. they were nominated in another "serious category" which I guess means the big ones even though any nomination is serious. Now, whether it's deserved or not is entirely opinion, but debating what constitutes seriousness is sorta ridiculous.

I meant a that a nomination in one of the serious categories is seen as a prerequisite for being nominated for best drama, and since they wanted GoT in best drama, they shoehorned in a Dinklage nomination.

And all those babies are obviously named after famed mathematician Theon of Alexandria. It's about time he got some recognition for his role in preserving classical works of mathematics.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
His scenes with Shae were god awful.

I meant a that a nomination in one of the serious categories is seen as a prerequisite for being nominated for best drama, and since they wanted GoT in best drama, they shoehorned in a Dinklage nomination.

And all those babies are obviously named after famed mathematician Theon of Alexandria. It's about time he got some recognition for his role in preserving classical works of mathematics.

but that's not true.

Alfie Allen isn't even a particularly good actor, let alone one of the best supporting actors on television.

Dinklage should have been dropped for Patinkin from Homeland.

Seriously. Alfie Allen killed it all season. I don't even think Dinklage should have been put up for consideration. He was good, but he didn't really standout in the way that Allen did.

actually, the scene with him and cersei when he consoles her was pretty good given the fact that there was really no dialogue between the two.

Don't understand why people are surprised over the Alfie snub. The Emmy is notorious for not going out of their comfort zone. They rather go for the safe choice every time.

flyover

I think Dinklage is a very good actor doing a fine job as Tyrion, except that he stumbles over his accent. He always seems like he's concentrating really hard to maintain it. And it often sounds a little different, depending who he's talking to in a particular scene.

Massa

Lol, an upcoming episode of Bunheads is titled "No One Takes Khaleesi's Dragons"

ouNBW.jpg

Alfie Allen isn't even a particularly good actor, let alone one of the best supporting actors on television.

Dinklage should have been dropped for Patinkin from Homeland.

Have you watched season 2 of Game of Thrones?

I want to see GOT win Outstanding Drama series because to me, and I haven't seen Boardwalk Empire mind you, it is the best. And that includes stuff like BB and MM (both solid but have definitely lost steam and just don't hold me interest as well).

Ark

So I just got to the bit where: ASoS
The Red Viper dies to Gregor, and I'm so pissed. No sooner had I named him one of my new favourite characters than he died. For the first time in the entire book, I put the book down and almost threw it across the room I was so annoyed.

gutshot

I would be happy with a bunch of tech awards this season since it surprisingly won zero last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom