• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Over, Uwe Boll (Vanity Fair profile)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/03/game-over-uwe-boll-worst-director

It's a pretty lengthy profile so I'm not sure what I could put some coherent quote snippets on here, but this is definitely the most in-depth article I've read about the man so far and worth the read if you really hated his work that much.

Some tidbits from the article:
- To my surprise, he apparently owns a restaurant here in Vancouver that's getting rave reviews. No, seriously -- it's apparently being lauded as Michelin Star-worthy.

- He concedes for the most part that all his video game movies were indeed trash (and hates them too) and just used them to gain more resources for films he actually gave a damn about. He then goes on to criticizes critics for not caring for his original works because he didn't have the right stars or he just had bad luck (e.g. a similar movie comes out at the same time).

- Speaking of critics, I totally forgot he did that one boxing match with some of them years ago, but I did not know it resulted in a teenage participant urinating blood.

- Describes his thoughts or various run-ins with stars before they were famous as well as his, no surprise, bad relationships with people he worked with. He's apparently slept in Jennifer Lawrence's childhood bedroom when it was being rented out and has read her diary.

- Decided to quit directing completely when it seemed clear that people cared more about his shitty game movies than stuff he cared about making (even if those were also critically panned). The writer of the article even notes that it doesn't seem like he's enjoyed filmmaking at all with the way he talks. Boll still plans to take on a producer role, however.

Poppy

his original works merely display that he is a goddamn weirdo, instead of just a hack. not much of an upgrade

also he punched lowtax

I think he hates the video game movies now, but there was a time where he did care.
I'm sure the constant stream of hate has made him apathetic for his own work.

Kinyou

Weren't his movies mostly just a way for people to use a German tax loophole?

But crucially, the bizarre tax laws in Germany mean that any wealthy Germans who invest in a movie can write-off the production cost, delay paying their taxes and generally reduce their tax burden. When you disseminate all the boring legal business law surrounding it the bottom line is this – the German investors in a movie only pay tax on any RETURNS the movie makes, their investment is 100% deductible, so the minute the movie makes a profit, said investor has to start paying tax. Plus the investors can actually borrow money to put towards investment and write that off too. Assuming you’re a sharp enough businessman you have a potential goldmine in the making; a way to make money from investing in bad movies...
https://web.archive.org/web/2006062.../features/Uwe-Boll-Money-For-Nothing-209.html

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
The guy is an egotistical fool. He reminds me so much of Claudio Fragasso or Tommy wiseau. He should be happy that his movies were able to enter that unique space of so bad that people pay to watch.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
I still say Rampage came scarily close to a decent movie.

It really didn't though. I mean compared to house of the dead or postal it's a masterpiece, but it's still a shit movie, with shit camera work, and a shit script. The only redeeming part was the lead who played his role well.

Vibranium

Banned
I've always thought of going to Boll's restaurant since I'm very close by. But his dickish Youtube rant put me off it and my family and friends wouldn't want to go to the city just for that.

My advice would be to find more talented indie filmmakers in Vancouver and then produce their stuff with a mostly hands-off approach. That might help his rep.

It really didn't though. I mean compared to house of the dead or postal it's a masterpiece, but it's still a shit movie, with shit camera work, and a shit script. The only redeeming part was the lead who played his role well.

well i mean compared to his previous stuff, and yeah I loved the lead. I hated the ending though. It didnt need the video part.

Thanks for linking the article, it's a great read.
Lol, I didn't know Uwe Boll had a beef with Chris Kohler.
I've only seen a couple of his films and their awfulness is quite fascinating but not enough for me to endure the rest of his filmography.

But his greatest sin is that he's a Minions fan. His restaurant sound pretty good though.

TheMan

I know a girl that acted in one of his movies.

does she show her face in public nowadays?

also lol at the boxing match mentioned in the OP, wasn't that vs lowtax? Apparently he went in thinknig it was all in good fun and the Uwe just let out the tension and fucking beat him down.

Going to miss him in a weird way. He was bad but kinda ed wood bad.his movies are awful but their not boring.

Cant wait for the new king of crap to arrive.

Speevy

Banned
Yes, now we know all of Jennifer Lawrence's deepest, darkest secrets, thanks to Uwe Boll reading her diary.

Kinyou

Ok I was just going to ask how the fuck BloodRayne:

1) Got made in the first place and with a $25m budget
2) Had a WW BO draw of only a few $m yet a sequel was made
3) Had a third movie made when the sequel was an even greater failure
What's really crazy is how he shot a movie that spoofs Blood Rayne 3 called "Blubberella" simultaneously with Bloody Rayne 3. So he just reused all the probs, sets etc.
He basically made two (god awful) movies for the price of one.

btw. That the trailer for his comedy movie also uses scenes from his Auschwitz movie is frankly rather upsetting and tasteless.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faASWINSgJY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom