• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Game Rant] Sony Throws Shade at Microsoft and Nintendo in Newly Published Patent

Do you agree with Sony?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chastten

Banned
In all fairness none of the big boys have made a decent controller this gen, the PS5 pad dies fast and has that horrible haptics that add zero value to any game, Nintendo have just been rumbled in a big way in the EU for the shambolic Joycon drift situation and Microsoft seriously nobody wants to use batteries anymore!
I agree with you with the Yoycons. They feel awkward and drift easily which is inexcusable for the price. The Switch Pro controller is very comfortable however, and I also have no issue with the Series S/X controller. They're comfy and I don't mind changing batteries as I hope/plan to keep using them for PC over the next 10/15 years, as I did with the X360 pads before them.

Stuff with built in batteries will be useless in 5-10 years as the batteries will be dead or won't hold a charge for longer than an hour anymore.

StereoVsn

I do like the PS5 controller and it's haptics... that I wish were well implemented in more games. Personally (YMMV of course) it's the most comfortable controller that I own.

That said, it's pretty fragile I am on 3rd controller already and I don't play much MP, shooters or super twitchy games on PS5 that would have me hammer those controls. That said kids do play it as well. Not that Nintendo is much better with joycons and MS controllers have their own issues.

Anyways, it's hilarious and kind of weird to have Sony do this. Wouldn't necessarily call Sony's gaming hardware output pinnacle of manufacturing or anything. I like their stuff but their systems have had a ton of well known issues.

StereoVsn

I agree with you with the Yoycons. They feel awkward and drift easily which is inexcusable for the price. The Switch Pro controller is very comfortable however, and I also have no issue with the Series S/X controller. They're comfy and I don't mind changing batteries as I hope/plan to keep using them for PC over the next 10/15 years, as I did with the X360 pads before them.

Stuff with built in batteries will be useless in 5-10 years as the batteries will be dead or won't hold a charge for longer than an hour anymore.
Issue with Switch Pro is crap d-pad. It's just no good for classic games or other heavy d-pad games. Otherwise yes, very solid controller.

AJUMP23

sam winchester yawn GIF

Console warrior thread.

Sony may be throwing shades, while at the same time hiding their disappointment on the Activision Blizzard Acquisition. PlayStation top seller will soon become Microsoft's First Party IP....

Last edited:

wvnative

This is amazing coming from the only console manufacturer that blocked adaptive tech and any non licenseed controllers on their platform. Piss off Sony.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
It takes a special amount of muck-raking "skill" to pull click-bait out of a patent application of all things!

If you think this in any way resembles "news" I think you need your head examining.

Aenima

have you actually PLAYED any game wth good haptics implementation? Haptics are MILES BETTER than old-gen rumble motors that's not even close
Yeah GT7 feels like a diferent game to play without haptics and adaptive triggers on. The feedback you get from the controller helps alot, not only on imersion but also improves your reaction times as you can feel the car losing grip before any visual information.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Arrogance. We have seen it before and we know where it leads..

aries_71

if they so; the thing is, Microsoft failed to reach the same first party quality despite their share of COD money and their "war chest"
Who says they didn’t? You? Sorry, but that narrative doesn’t hold a minimum scrutiny: Gears, Forza, Halo, etc were all top notch quality titles in the same timeframe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom