• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gameboy Player - Cube Controller

Gamedude

I've been playing Zelda: The Minish Cap and Metroid: Zero Mission lately (on my GBA SP)
I don't think the GBA SP is comfortable to play on when you're at home (on a plane, bus, train I play games you can easily play for 15 mins or so: Super Mario Bros 3, ...)

I was wondering how the GBA games look on a TV screen and more important: how does the 2d games play with a GameCube controller STICK ?

I heared a friend saying games like Zelda: The Minish Cap doesn't feel right with the GC stick.. so he plays those games with the crappy D-pad

do you guys agree with him?

PS: I heared there is a SNES controller for the GC? worth it?

I played through Minish Cap a lot using the GameBoy Player. Although I hear those Hori pads are great for D-pad play, I found the GC pad and using the analog to be just fine.

The image is fine. Particularly on games with different brightness settings (what would normally be dark modes look normal on a TV).

Having said this, I haven't used my GB player for a very long time now. I prefer playing on my SP or DS. It makes your Gamecube look bigger and less cute.

AniHawk

I loved the GBP and thought the GBA games looked great on TV. Highly recommend a PlayCube if you can hunt one down (to play GC games with a DualShock2) or a Hori pad (the SNES one), which I know was at Gamecrazy not too long ago.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
How is the sound on the gameboy player?
I heard its "off"?

It only sounds as imperfect as it does through headphones as far as I'm aware. It does sound daft when you've got your cube hooked up to a surround amp and all thats coming out is the Super Mario Bros NES classic's bleeps and bloops. By daft, I mean awesome.

Golden Sun impressed me with sound the first time I played it through the GB player IIRC.

Red Scarlet

I've got a Hori pad (same as fowler's link, but black), and although it is better than the GC controller, it works pretty well.

Diagonals and pressing buttons really fast wasn't so hot, though. But aside from that, it works a-ok.

demi

So what's the point of the GBA Link Cable port on it? Just a dead port to hook it to for whenever you need it?

AniHawk

demi said:
So what's the point of the GBA Link Cable port on it? Just a dead port to hook it to for whenever you need it?

It's there to play connectivity titles like FFCC and FSA on up to FIVE TVs!

:lol I used to have a picture of a set up like that (with FFCC). Freakin awesome.

You can play multiplayer games with other GBAs / GB Players as well ie. Mario Kart

Cheerilee

AniHawk said:
I loved the GBP and thought the GBA games looked great on TV. Highly recommend a PlayCube if you can hunt one down (to play GC games with a DualShock2) or a Hori pad (the SNES one), which I know was at Gamecrazy not too long ago.
The original "purple" Nyko PlayCube doesn't work with the GameBoy Player. The lesser-known redesigned "black" Nyko PlayCube does work with it.

And while you're at it, the DualShock1 works better for the GBP than the DualShock2 does, because it's D-pad and buttons are purely digital, and respond noticably faster.

Sanjuro

The Hori pad is fine. $14.99 at GameCrazy.

But I love the Gamecube's controller. The analog stick works fine for me for all the GBA games. Metroid Zero Mission and Fusion rock with it.

Ranger X

The games in the gameboy player are awesome.
You seriously get the best image, best sound possible, and while it's not all cool with the god damned GC controller, it's possible to get used to. Now i always play with the joystick and i'm just as good as if i was using a SNES d-pad or something.

lexy

Can you play 2-player games on a GB player with 2 Gamecube controllers? I recall someone telling me otherwise (that you need a GBA and a link cable or something like that) but I thought that was too retarded to be true.

SanjuroTsubaki
Ignore This Post -->
(Today, 05:46 AM)

:lol

SKOPE

I have two Hori Digital Controllers for GameCube. Reasonably comfortable and work perfectly with games that don't require analog control.

But, like the standard GameCube controller, the cord is too short. Does this Nyko PlayCube work with Logitech's Cordless Action Controller or Hori's Wireless Anashin 2?

loxy said:
Can you play 2-player games on a GB player with 2 Gamecube controllers? I recall someone telling me otherwise (that you need a GBA and a link cable or something like that) but I thought that was too retarded to be true.
The only special trick you'll find on any GBA games playing them on a GB Player is that some will feature rumble support, but basically don't expect it to to do anything that wouldn't be done on a GBA. They probably could've made it possible, but considering that most multiplayer GBA games depend on each person having their own screen and perhaps their own cartridge with unique data, and that developers probably wouldn't care much to support a feature only available to a fraction of players, it doesn't surprise me that things were left as they are.

All controllers act as the same GBA controller. So if you're playing a game where you'd pass the system back and forth, or something like Mario & Luigi where you could have one person exclusively using A in battle and one exclusively using B, you could pretend there's multi-controller support.

CO_Andy

Playing with the analog stick is perfectly fine.

It's much better than using the original GBA's dpad (which is the same as the GCN's), that's for sure.

CO_Andy said:
Playing with the analog stick is perfectly fine.

It's much better than using the original GBA's dpad (which is the same as the GCN's), that's for sure.
GCN's d-pad would be much nicer if it was smooth like GBA's.

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
Wyzdom said:
The games in the gameboy player are awesome.
You seriously get the best image, best sound possible
I gotta disagree. The image on the GB Player is always fuzzy, regardless of how you adjust its sharpness and scale settings, and the sound is always scratchy and muted. Back before the GB Player and GBA SP I bought one of those GBA conversion kits that gave me direct video-out from my original GBA; it was cumbersome and had some quirks, but the overall A/V quality was much higher than I get on the Player.

The Hori pad is great, though. And it's also ideal for the system's few 2D games -- Mega Man Network Transmission, MM Anniversary Collection, Midway Treasures, etc.

CO_Andy

ToastyFrog said:
Back before the GB Player and GBA SP I bought one of those GBA conversion kits that gave me direct video-out from my original GBA; it was cumbersome and had some quirks, but the overall A/V quality was much higher than I get on the Player.
That's quite intriguing.

Anybody have a modded X-Box? I'd like to know how the GBA emulator over there contrasts to the GB Player.

M3wThr33

Banned
When I got Astro Boy and got to a tough part, I'd load up the GB Player and my Hori pad and it'd be a breeze to get through. I love the combo.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
The thing that sucks about playing the games on an emulator, is taking your save games from your real cart to the emulator.

M3wThr33

Banned
My ...ex... roommate has a PSP and was so excited to get to use the GBA emulator. Even without the ability to save games yet, he played FFTA a lot.

Ranger X

ToastyFrog said:
I gotta disagree. The image on the GB Player is always fuzzy, regardless of how you adjust its sharpness and scale settings, and the sound is always scratchy and muted. Back before the GB Player and GBA SP I bought one of those GBA conversion kits that gave me direct video-out from my original GBA; it was cumbersome and had some quirks, but the overall A/V quality was much higher than I get on the Player.

The Hori pad is great, though. And it's also ideal for the system's few 2D games -- Mega Man Network Transmission, MM Anniversary Collection, Midway Treasures, etc.

I think it's a matter of taste here. I prefer the image with the smoothing of the GBA player. The resolution of GBA is quite low and it does not look hot in a TV. With the smoothing, i get a feeling that resemble more the SNES.
As for the sound, my TV output sound into a quite big sound system. It shows me even more how flawed the sound of the GBA is. Yes it sucks. It's because you can't hear how much it sucks only with the poor GBA speakers or again if you don't have good headphones.

Top Bottom