• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hottest take of the year: 2D Zelda games are superior to 3D Zelda games

diffusionx

Gold Member
No, just stop with this. It's arguably the best and much closer to the top than the bottom. Best pacing of all Zeldas, most touching story, and terrific worldbuilding and levels.
I played the remake and found it to be a bit simplistic and dull. Incredible achievement in 1993 on a Game Boy, but every 2D Zelda that came after is better.

Svejk

My son and I having played Zelda II: TAOL recently, it's baffling how ahead of it's time it was. How has this not been remade yet, Nintendo?! It was a Souls game before the notion was even a glimmer.

It's the only Zelda that actually encourages you to fight more, by providing XP for every enemy you defeat. But not only that, if you get hit/take damage, it not only take from you life bar (which you can build via XP), but it also takes your XP points... It's fucking brutal and brilliant at the same time. No other game to my knowledge does this.

REDRZA MWS

I realized this a while ago but my opinion has only been reinforced by playing Link's Awakening remake. I'm having so much fun with it and one of the main reasons is the pacing; 2D Zelda games send you from one adventure to the next and the little side-quests are fun. 3D ones on the other hand love wasting your time with mundane garbage you don't care about.

I can't even play TP or WW anymore because of the incredibly long and tedious opening sections. The whole wolf shit in TP wears thin after a couple of minutes and you just wanna go back to being Link but every dungeon is padded with bullshit you gotta do with wolf Link. Wind Waker? Same problem. The opening is a slog and getting from one temple to the next is sleep-inducing and don't get me started with the Triforce hunt.

OOT is also pretty bad there but not as horrible as the GC title. Skyward Sword is just lol. This has somewhat been remedied by BOTW and TOTK but these two games lack too many things that made past Zelda games great. MM is the exception to this rule because the worldbuilding and side-quests are actually fascinating and better than the main game.

Minish Cap, Link's Awakening, the Oracle games, A Link Between Worlds...just brilliant. A Link to the Past is also pretty fantastic but I feel overstays its welcome a bit with one too many dungeons. I need to do the DS ones next because I never played them.

Fight me.
Not a “hot take”, the OG LoZ and A Link to the past were the best titles in the series period.

Last edited:

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
How do you mean? It is better in its pacing and character interactions than A Link to the Past. I may find Oracle of Seasons to be more interesting, but even the final boss battle is the best of any Zelda game to me.

No, just stop with this. It's arguably the best and much closer to the top than the bottom. Best pacing of all Zeldas, most touching story, and terrific worldbuilding and levels.
I mean, is not a bad game, it's Zelda after all. But every other is better in multiple ways. Oracle games have like double the items and the map has multiple versions, on top of being a interconnected history. Minishp cap has the best companion of the series, and the Kingston mechanic allows for character interaction that no other Zelda have. A link to the past maybe overstay a bit, but also set the template of all Zelda that came after, with it's lore, it's multiple worlds, and it's verticality. Hell, even Zelda 2 has a unique combat system and magic system.

Besides a lot of the design is really clunky and put together with tape sometimes. I got soft lock on the second dungeon once. A lot of content is fan service for Mario (like the chomp chomp and the yoshi doll). I like the idea of collecting multiple instruments, but man, the music that all put together plays is awful, literally the worst of the entire franchise.

And the history gives you 0 agency, I don't understand why people like it. You showing up don't solve really change anything.

SCB3

Not too much of a hot take tbh, they're very different genres in a lot of ways and tbh I like both but prefer 3D BotW style more these days

Heres my Zelda hot take, OoT is not the best Zelda game, in fact its behind most of the others (I've not played MM fully yet though)

Knightime_X

I think they should still make 2 versions of zelda.
Smaller bite size overhead 2d and a larger 3d but more like OOT and less like TOTK.
Tears of the Kingdom could be supported for a long time if they wanted, but keep pumping out traditional at a steady pace.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
3d Zelda is closer to life than 2d, they figured that out in 1998 with ocarina of time.

Xdrive05

What's keeping them from making a new 2D Zelda? Clearly they could do it on a shoestring budget compared to their AAA 3D ones. Actually I wouldn't at all mind a new top-down polygonal Zelda, a'la the Links Awakening remake, but in an original game. They could do so much with that format now.

Also, recall that Breath of the Wild started out as a proof of concept 2D game, testing out the various systems and physics. They could easily do a new 2D Zelda that has the same kind of complex interactions and physics, and also a streamlined old school dungeon-oriented campaign.

Last edited:
Idk, I've attempted to get into multiple 2d Zeldas and bounce off of them almost immediately. 200 hrs in both newer ones and probably 20 in OoT. Maybe one day it will click.
This has little to do with 2D vs 3D. You are just comparing open world against classic gameplay. Go play Wind Waker and Skyward Sword.

I also refuse to believe that anyone would immediately “bounce off” of Link to the Past.

The 2D ones are more manageable time wise. I realistically dont have time to do botw again, or totk, because the game runtime is padded by lots of exploration. ALTTP and the 2D Zelda games are much more condensed content wise.

I am partially of the opinion that modern games abuse human psychology much more than old ones to make them feel more "Satisfying" to play and people nowadays have very different psychological profiles in regards to dopamine reward centers than before.

MarkMe2525

This has little to do with 2D vs 3D. You are just comparing open world against classic gameplay. Go play Wind Waker and Skyward Sword.

I also refuse to believe that anyone would immediately “bounce off” of Link to the Past.
Of course it doesn't have much to do with "2D vs 3D" as the style of the game is what matters, and in Zelda's case, there is a clear difference in style between the classic formula and newer releases. The classic style just doesn't do it for me. The 20 hours in OoT didn't come easy as it is closer to LttP than BoTW or TotK. I'm not dissing the games, I just don't like them very much. I think it's the shallow combat that does it in for me.

I have bounced off of Link to the Past 6 times at minimum starting around launch of the game to present. I have never played Wind Waker, but was really turned off by Skyward Sword pacing. I got bored rather quickly with SS.

BlackTron

I wish the Link's Awakening remake had a better art style, perhaps more in line with its opening cutscene and inspired by the original. The plastic style is very meh, which is a shame because the additional buttons and QoL improvements make it my preferred version. And *drumroll* LA is the best LoZ game

cortadew

The open world Zelda are just not good imo. I could care less. LTTP or the OG Zelda no contest.

For the most part - 2d beats 3d everytime.
Not a hot take.
Castlevania, Contra, Mario, Metroid.

2d shmups are the best gaming genre period.
OG Zelda is open world tho, botw and totk captured this feeling way more than the other 3d games.

BlackTron

Always was. Also applies to Mario and Kirby. And pixel-art was better than 3D as well.
In LoZ the pixel art difference seems most night and day between the two versions of LA. One is perfection and the other is just...intentionally plastic.

That said...despite being antiquated, there's a magical quality to OOT that makes its graphics timeless to me, but only the original N64 version. These are my fav 2D and 3D game in the series

I mean, is not a bad game, it's Zelda after all. But every other is better in multiple ways. Oracle games have like double the items and the map has multiple versions, on top of being a interconnected history. Minishp cap has the best companion of the series, and the Kingston mechanic allows for character interaction that no other Zelda have. A link to the past maybe overstay a bit, but also set the template of all Zelda that came after, with it's lore, it's multiple worlds, and it's verticality. Hell, even Zelda 2 has a unique combat system and magic system.

Besides a lot of the design is really clunky and put together with tape sometimes. I got soft lock on the second dungeon once. A lot of content is fan service for Mario (like the chomp chomp and the yoshi doll). I like the idea of collecting multiple instruments, but man, the music that all put together plays is awful, literally the worst of the entire franchise.

And the history gives you 0 agency, I don't understand why people like it. You showing up don't solve really change anything.
There is no need for alternate worlds as Link's Awakening already has an interesting one. The Kinstone collection acts as an unnecessary prerequisite for finding unlockables in the world of Minish Cap. I am sorry you got stunlocked and that Mario fan service rubbed you the wrong way. Disagree about GBC chiptune of combined instruments sounding like rubbish. Your actions in the game bring Link out of a coma, which is a novel idea relative to saving the world from Ganondorf for the nth time.

dcx4610

It's probably going to depend on your age on how you answer. I like both styles but I prefer my Zelda games as 2D action/adventure games. Link to the Past is the greatest Zelda of all time to me and Link's Awakening is not far behind.

Ocarina, BotW and Tears of the Kingdoms are masterpieces but there are tons of games in that style. 2D overhead Zelda's however have no rival and are genre defining.

AngelMuffin

I don’t consider this a “hot take” in the slightest. It’s extremely valid. They’re both great in their own way so it just boils down to personal preference. I feel the same snout the Metroid series.

El Muerto

Definitely enjoyed every 2d Zelda more than the 3d ones. Seems like Nintendo can't get it right with 3d Zelda titles. Just like how Sonic team couldnt get it right with most 3d Sonic titles.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member

This is so wrong I don’t even know what to say.

Last edited:

radewagon

Nostalgia is a powerful drug. Look, if you asked me what the best FPS game was, I'd probably just say Doom. That game hit at the exact right time for me. And I played it on the 32X of all things. I've obviously played better fps games since then, but it's hard for any of those titles to measure up to something that made such an impact on me. Objectively, many 3D Zeldas have surpassed the 2D experience and have actually, IMO, delivered on the promise of what those games were trying to be. But, y'know, those old games (and their design) had a lasting impact for those that played them at just the right time and that's fine. They were clearly great and unlike, say, Metal Gear 1&2 moving to Solid, Zelda's move to 3D wasn't as wholly beneficial to the point that it would make the 2D games largely irrelevant. (And don't hate on me MG1&2 fans. I love them too. Solid just destroys them)

Last edited:

proandrad

This hot take.
Shining Jack Nicholson GIF

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
I agree actually in general terms. I think I would average the 2d ones higher than the others. Of course, that’s like splitting hairs

Laieon

I disagree completely, I significantly prefer the 3D games pre-SS, but I absolutely think that A Link Between Worlds is a far better non-linear Zelda than BOTW/TOTK are and is the best Zelda game since Twilight Princess.

I'll also say that it's a shame we've never seen a 3D equivalent of Ricky, Moosh, and Dimitri.

What's keeping them from making a new 2D Zelda? Clearly they could do it on a shoestring budget compared to their AAA 3D ones. Actually I wouldn't at all mind a new top-down polygonal Zelda, a'la the Links Awakening remake, but in an original game. They could do so much with that format now.

I'm honestly surprised that they haven't given Grezzo (or hell, Capcom again) the reins to an original 2D Zelda at this point. The fact that it's been a decade since the last original 2D game is a bit crazy to think about.

Last edited:
You would think an oldhead like me who first started gaming on the NES would agree. But nope, I've tried several times to get into the 2D Zeldas and it just doesn't click. Give me the 3D Zeldas any day.

Nah, 2D Mario us still king, SMB and SMW are the Goats. Metroid too, the OG, of course Super Metroid 2, and latest Fusion are the best in class.

Hope you meant SMB3.

Of course it doesn't have much to do with "2D vs 3D" as the style of the game is what matters, and in Zelda's case, there is a clear difference in style between the classic formula and newer releases. The classic style just doesn't do it for me. The 20 hours in OoT didn't come easy as it is closer to LttP than BoTW or TotK. I'm not dissing the games, I just don't like them very much. I think it's the shallow combat that does it in for me.

I have bounced off of Link to the Past 6 times at minimum starting around launch of the game to present. I have never played Wind Waker, but was really turned off by Skyward Sword pacing. I got bored rather quickly with SS.

3d Zelda hasn't necessarily had less shallow combat.

Zelda II, a 2d game, had more meat than most of the lot.

Zelda 2 the thread.

Not as hot a take as, say, "Witcher 3 = GOAT RPG".

Top Bottom