• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamepass line up question

Xplainin

Banned
I don't have gamepass as I just buy the games in interested in, but I see the value in it and why other people have it.
It's definitely going to be an even bigger thing going forward.
I was a bit nosy and decided to look through the games list for it, and I waa surprised that alot of games that I thought would be on there, arnt.
I'm talking MS first party games.
No Forza 7. No Forza Horizon 3. In Fact no Forza other than Horizon 4.

Is this normal, or do they put games in for a period and then pull them out?

Banned
older games that came out before GamePass are not all in gamepass... I have no Idea why tho.
but no, Microsoft games don't ever get taken out of GamePass (third party games will eventually leave gamepass after like 6 or so months usually, sometimes they stay in longer some a bit shorter), it's jut that not all of their backlog is in it yet. Why tho? I have no idea.

Last edited:

Xplainin

Banned
older games that came out before GamePass are not all in gamepass... I have no Idea why tho.
but no, Microsoft games don't ever get taken out of GamePass (third party games will eventually leave gamepass after like 6 or so months usually, sometimes they stay in longer some a bit shorter), it's jut that not all of their backlog is in it yet. Why tho? I have no idea.
It is weird. They have a ton of older first party games, but not all the Forzas.
I Would have thought that was a given.

If I had to guess, it is because the licensing for Forza Motorsport 7, Forza Horizon 3 and all previous Forza games did not deal with the rights for being on a subscription service and only had a deal relating to regular sales. I have to imagine that for Forza 7 at least that MS decided that it would not be worth it to renegotiate the terms of the licensing for a game that likely would have had a sequel by now (and likely will have one at launch of Xbox Series X) and for Horizon 3 it was the same thing with the sequel that came out a few months after their intention to add every first party game to the service. They have added pretty much every other first party Xbox One game and most first party Xbox 360 games (still missing Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon sadly, likely for similar reasons)

I have no doubt that Forza Motorsport 8 and any future Forza games will stay on the service for likely the full period the licenses are for, if not forever

Xplainin

Banned
If I had to guess, it is because the licensing for Forza Motorsport 7, Forza Horizon 3 and all previous Forza games did not deal with the rights for being on a subscription service and only had a deal relating to regular sales. I have to imagine that for Forza 7 at least that MS decided that it would not be worth it to renegotiate the terms of the licensing for a game that likely would have had a sequel by now (and likely will have one at launch of Xbox Series X) and for Horizon 3 it was the same thing with the sequel that came out a few months after their intention to add every first party game to the service. They have added pretty much every other first party Xbox One game and most first party Xbox 360 games (still missing Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon sadly, likely for similar reasons)

I have no doubt that Forza Motorsport 8 and any future Forza games will stay on the service for likely the full period the licenses are for, if not forever
Yeah ok, that would explain why all the Gears are on there but not Forza.
Car licences are pretty crazy to deal with.

Last edited:

Banned

what I think will happen is that they will just give them all away again, like they did with all the others in the series so far.
Horizon 2 (360) was just free (don't know if it still is) because of the licensing running out... so they just say fuck it and either put it into Games With Gold, or make it free for everyone.

what could happen is that after the licenses run out, that every gold and gamepass member gets them forever. that way no one is losing their game, and Microsoft doesn't need to renew the licensing.

Brofist

I find Gamepass a nice addition to buying the games you are interested. It's weird how some people seem to hold the belief that once you sub to this thing you can no longer buy games or something (not directed at OP just a general observation)

Also I've played so many games on it that weren't even on my radar.

Last edited:

Xplainin

Banned
I find Gamepass a nice addition to buying the games you are interested. It's weird how some people seem to hold the belief that once you sub to this thing you can no longer buy games or something (not directed at OP just a general observation)

Also I've played so many games on it that weren't even on my radar.
I expect MS to throw in say 3 months of gamepass free with the XSX and XSS. The ability to buy say a XSS for maybe $300 and then have all the latest Xbox games like Halo, Forza 8 and all the other games on GP straight out of the box is one hell of a deal.

pr0cs

I expect MS to throw in say 3 months of gamepass free with the XSX and XSS. The ability to buy say a XSS for maybe $300 and then have all the latest Xbox games like Halo, Forza 8 and all the other games on GP straight out of the box is one hell of a deal.
Microsoft needs to do that and market the shit out of it too. That day one you have access to a ton of new and great games effectively for free*
Gamepass is one of the major reasons why I'm thinking of seriesX before ps5. I will have both eventually but right now the sticking point is launch games.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.

Let’s hope they are loyal to their existing customers then and if they do include that it’s not restricted to new accounts / users only.

Kagey K

Banned
Every first party after the announcement has been day one there. The ones released before that announcement have been slow to show up.

Top Bottom