• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamer's Nexus: ASUS Scammed Us (aka, a chronicle of the ROG Ally's inherent shittiness + ASUS' terrible support)

Chiggs

Gold Member
Another week, another story about how shitty the ROG Ally is...but there's a twist this time around: ASUS' support is starting to fail, as well.

Catch all the drama below:

We sent our ASUS ROG Ally Z1 Extreme in for warranty repair for issues with the left joystick ("drift"). The device also had a broken microSD card. ASUS then pointed to the world's tiniest scratch and tried to charge us $200 for it under threat of sending back a disassembled device if we didn't pay within 5 days. It felt like extortion. If you're wondering whether ASUS is worth buying, the answer for anyone who values support should be "no."

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Disgusting customer support.

I always knew ROG ally would be a bad idea. Never purchase these PC portables from anywhere else than Steam.

I have an Asus GPU right now and I'm honestly considering almost anything else for the next one. Very sad that EVGA is out, they were good.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Another week, another story about how shitty the ROG Ally is...but there's a twist this time around: ASUS' support is starting to fail, as well.

Catch all the drama below:

… and people wonder how come someone would not just go for the shiny new specs only and trust in Valve with the Steam Deck…

EuZBklu.jpeg

kiphalfton

Asus has had some of the worst support reputation for decades. PC gamers know that if you buy Asus you better pray it never breaks because if it dies you need to deal with their support and it's the worst thing imaginable. It's better to just accept it's broken and move on.

Pay a premium for a product that has awful customer service. Does not compute (no pun intended).

But I guess if it works well out of the box, that's all that matters for some people.

Never understood the love for Asus, and hopefully this will kick their butt into gear.

Dr.D00p

Whilst you can find examples of appalling RMA service for every PC OEM manufacturer out there, ASUS are always near the top of the list for outright douchebaggery and shady practices.

For supposedly a premium brand they seem rather relaxed about having such a reputation and not particularly bothered about protecting their reputation.

...and the US, with its appalling, virtually non existant customer consumer rights is a cause of many of these problems. As the biggest market, Asus and other OEMs only have to pay lip service to warranty issues.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Of all people you could try to scam GN is probably the worst possible scenario😅

Steam Support was really good about doing replacements for issues I had with Steam Deck. In one instance, they didn’t really have to do anything, but they ended up giving me a brand new system. I’m really thankful for their commitment to their customers. Steam Deck 4 Life.

Hohenheim

If I have a problem with a device like this, I return it where I brought it and they have to replace it with a new one (or fix it). I've never had to contact the makers of a device directly.
If you're scared of something happening to a device like this, get a extra "idiot" insurance too. Then, if you spill coffee on it, break the screen, get drift etc.. you'll get a new one.

Also, I never had a problem with the Ally, and i'm very much looking forward to the Rog Ally X !!!

Except from the fantastic OLED SD, the Ally has been my favourite of the modern handhelds.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I have my first Asus motherboard which is running fine but this video is making me want to switch for my next build.

I hope MS do bring out a handheld that's better than the rog ally and then I can move over from that too.

BlackTron

My first PC build circa 2002 used an Asus mobo that still works and my current gaming laptop is an Asus...

My next hardware probably would have had Asus parts in it too if I didn't just learn of their extortion policy lol

RoadHazard

Gold Member
If I have a problem with a device like this, I return it where I brought it and they have to replace it with a new one (or fix it). I've never had to contact the makers of a device directly.
If you're scared of something happening to a device like this, get a extra "idiot" insurance too. Then, if you spill coffee on it, break the screen, get drift etc.. you'll get a new one.

Also, I never had a problem with the Ally, and i'm very much looking forward to the Rog Ally X !!!

Except from the fantastic OLED SD, the Ally has been my favourite of the modern handhelds.

That's how it works in Europe where we have consumer rights, but I don't think it's really like that in America?

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
I had issues with the proprietary XG Mobile egpu that Asus sold, that you could hook up to the Ally. I was in contact with customer support and they were very supportive at first and set up a delivery so that they could take a look at it. After all the horror stories you've read about how bad Asus is I was like "wow, how fast and convenient that went". Then the nightmare began.

First, I had to fill out a very complicated form with a lot of information about my adress, what's wrong with the device, exact date and time for pick up etc. Then the device itself had to be wrapped up in a safe and sturdy package so nothing could break during transportation. And then I had to wait at home so the delivery man could pick it up. It was very time consuming but I figured it was standard procedure and I can understand if something like this needs to be very specific and detailed. But did anyone arrive? Of course not. Got in touch with Asus again and asked where the hell the delivery man was? They couldn't answer. They requested we'd try again. So I had to repeat the whole fucking process and you know what? No one came to pick up my package. The whole delivery process was broken. It all ended with me having to send the package myself from the post office to a repair company, who then sent it back when they had fixed it.

Of course the egpu dock didn't work any better after that, it was still glitching and just an overall hassle to deal with so now I just use the Ally. I didn't have the dock for more than six months and lost a lot of money on it. Worst purchase I've ever done and when I think about it I feel legit scammed. I think it's pretty shitty of Asus to sell very expensive products that doesn't work as intended, and when you need help they seemingly don't know how or just make it as complicated and frustrating that you give up dealing with them.

And it sucks because I love the Ally itself. I think it's a fantastic handheld. I love the hybrid concept with a handheld and an external GPU hooked up for more power. But jokes on me I guess for believing in Asus marketing. I had to learn the hard way that Asus as a company is shady as fuck.

Zheph

Bit off topic but who are the good resellers for pc parts atm? Seems like EVGA is gone, Asus and MSI are not that great. Who is doing the job?

Topher

Gold Member

That's how it works in Europe where we have consumer rights, but I don't think it's really like that in America?

You can return an item in the US as well, but that return window doesn't last forever. Once it closes then you any issue with the item must be dealt with using the manufacturer warranty.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
You can return an item in the US as well, but that return window doesn't last forever. Once it closes then you any issue with the item must be dealt with using the manufacturer warranty.

Yeah, in Sweden (and all of EU I would guess) the seller is responsible for handling defects etc for three years. So the one year warranty manufacturers usually leave is pretty much pointless here, unless it goes beyond what the law says retailers have to do.

Last edited:

SantaC

Well, Duh!

We're talking about when things go wrong and the treatment you can expect.

If you've never had to deal with them and their RMA procedure it's not surprising you feel that way.
It is the same with every brand. MSI is garbage, Gigabyte is gargabe. Thats why i continue to go with ASUS.

peish

Overselling.......what? He documented everything. Show us the part he "oversold" specifically.

His warranty is over. He claims the dents was caused by Asus.
Asus did service the unit in the end.

Standard rma polices. He should do the same with other brands but he got hater boner against Asus.

samjaza

Standard rma polices. He should do the same with other brands but he got hater boner against Asus.
How can it be out of warranty, it hasn't been out for a year yet, and last month they increase the warranty length to 24 months.
He didn't claim the dent was caused by asus, they said it gn when pulling it apart.

Topher

Gold Member

The joystick issue was covered under warranty. Asus acknowledged this. Asus wanted to charge for a new screen due to that tiny little dent on the case. GN had dispute that to get the damn joystick fixed. You can't say he "oversold" anything when he is simply reading what Asus stated in the correspondence.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I always buy Asus motherboards and really like them, but I know if I have any issues then I'm basically out of luck. If it's within the first 30 days I'll just swap it with the store where I bought it. If it's past 30 days then I just assume I'm out of luck given all the horror stories out there (for many years now). Sigh, Asus you need to get better.

Last edited:

ReyBrujo

You didn't watch it apparently. Asus misdirected the attention to a dent saying he needed to pay 200 bucks to replace the whole screen to solve it as if that was the only problem with the system, and kept sending him mails telling that if he didn't pay it would be returned the way the technician left it (which might be apart if they didn't feel like closing it). It's only after many mails and complains back and forth that Asus fixed what was really broken for free. A common John Doe might have just paid what was told to fix an cosmetic irrelevant issue.

Last edited:

Brigandier

So you didn't watch the video or pay attention gotcha.

He has a "hate boner" for anti consumer practices and Asus are fucking awful for it and he's calling them out just like he's done with many other big brands in the PC industry, He will continue to do so until they sort their shit out and I'm all for it as these big businesses have been getting away with fucking the consumer for too long especially in the US.

You sound like a butt hurt fanboy 🤣

Fuck Asus for trying this shit on... Imagine how many people who don't have Steve's know how or reach get sucker punched out of their money for things that they didn't do by ill means like this... Some people need to pull their heads out of their asses man.

Last edited:

PUNKem733

No way can someone be this stupid. You have to be a troll to actually support what happened. You're either a troll or someone who didn't watch the vid and is making up shit. Is this an Asus stealth account? If not a troll it's absolutely mind boggling to defend this.

peish

You didn't watch it apparently. Asus misdirected the attention to a dent saying he needed to pay 200 bucks to replace the whole screen to solve it as if that was the only problem with the system, and kept sending him mails telling that if he didn't pay it would be returned the way the technician left it (which might be apart if they didn't feel like closing it). It's only after many mails and complains back and forth that Asus fixed what was really broken for free. A common John Doe might have just paid what was told to fix an cosmetic irrelevant issue.

So you didn't watch the video or pay attention gotcha.

He has a "hate boner" for anti consumer practices and Asus are fucking awful for it and he's calling them out just like he's done with many other big brands in the PC industry, He will continue to do so until they sort their shit out and I'm all for it as these big businesses have been getting away with fucking the consumer for too long especially in the US.

You sound like a butt hurt fanboy 🤣

Fuck Asus for trying this shit on... Imagine how many people who don't have Steve's know how or reach get sucker punched out of their money for things that they didn't do by ill means like this... Some people need to pull their heads out of their asses man.

No way can someone be this stupid. You have to be a troll to actually support what happened. You're either a troll or someone who didn't watch the vid and is making up shit. Is this an Asus stealth account? If not a troll it's absolutely mind boggling to defend this.

Yes, I definitely speedrun through the video. I can't stomach his recent content anymore. It feels like he's manipulating viewers towards his biased conclusions to inflate his cult-like status. Even a usually calm tech-tuber like Ian criticized him for it.
Neither did he revert on his incorrect measurements of VSOC whereby he made bank with his series of videos on a big mistake he himself made and kept quiet since.

However, I don't believe everyone is a saint. I've personally had positive experiences with Asus products and their RMA process (like 2-3 times PSU, Router 1-1 swap), particularly with my designated service agency. TBF my experience might be different in NA. This case likely only represents one side of the story, his side.

Last edited:
Top Bottom