• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamers Nexus - The Problem with Linus Tech Tips: Accuracy, Ethics, & Responsibility

winjer

Gold Member
So Linus is a fraud, more is coming.... oh, and so is Steve!

Your source is Coreteks.....

wtf GIF

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
The mistakes and random data errors I will just chalk up to laziness and desire to pump out content. LTT has had those issues for years. That's nothing new. They are mainly an entertainment channel at this point for most in the hobby. Though a really fun one I will admit.

As for the sexual harassment stuff I've watched Linus and the gang for years and never once got the vibe that him or his staff were deliberately malicious in any way. On top of that the allegations and stories that person is telling seem so over the top that I have trouble believing they are being entirely honest. LMG employs several women including Linus's own wife and several other partners of employees. You also have very public facing female creators on the team like Sarah. I have an EXTREMELY hard time believing that there is such an abusive and allegedly well known scene going on there that so many other female workers would not only never speak up about it but just outright allow to happen like is being alleged. Especially those with actual power like Yvonne who don't have to worry about retaliation. She owns half the company.

It sounds like they are taking all the right steps and are employing an independent investigation which is the best option given the circumstances. I'll wait to see the results of that before they lose me as a subscriber.

Last edited:

Kdad

The mistakes and random data errors I will just chalk up to laziness and desire to pump out content. LTT has had those issues for years. That's nothing new. They are mainly an entertainment channel at this point for most in the hobby. Though a really fun one I will admit.

As for the sexual harassment stuff I've watched Linus and the gang for years and never once got the vibe that him or his staff were deliberately malicious in any way. On top of that the allegations and stories that person is telling seem so over the top that I have trouble believing they are being entirely honest. LMG employs several women including Linus's own wife and several other partners of employees. You also have very public facing female creators on the team like Sarah. I have an EXTREMELY hard time believing that there is such an abusive and allegedly well known scene going on there that so many other female workers would not only never speak up about it but just outright allow to happen like is being alleged. Especially those with actual power like Yvonne who don't have to worry about retaliation. She owns half the company.

It sounds like they are taking all the right steps and are employing an independent investigation which is the best option given the circumstances. I'll wait to see the results of that before they lose me as a subscriber.
There is a lot of sophomoric humour on many of the vids, including those that involve Yvonne, that I've often felt would be not HR friendly if done outside of an agreed upon script. With this company growing so fast It is completely believable to me that many staff don't see the line between their day to day interactions on scripted video and what happens off video.

Last edited:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
There is a lot of sophomoric humour on many of the vids, including those that involve Yvonne, that I've often felt would be not HR friendly if done outside of an agreed upon script. With this company growing so fast It is completely believable to me that many staff don't see the line between their day to day interactions on video and what happens off video.
Yeah but there is a difference between being deliberately malicious or abusive and just having a dorky dudebro sense of humor. What is being alleged is a pervasive culture of sexual harassment, abuse, and exploitation. That goes way beyond the immature techbro nonsense they get up to sometimes. Once again I have a very hard time believing that so many female employees (including spouses/partners) of other workers would allow such an environment to exist without ever raising an issue. I just can't imagine it.

Bit that's what the investigation is for I guess. So we will know the truth of it eventually.

Last edited:

Kdad

Yeah but there is a difference between being deliberately malicious or abusive and just having a dorky dudebro sense of humor. What is being alleged is a pervasive culture of sexual harassment, abuse, and exploitation. That goes way beyond the immature techbro nonsense they get up to sometimes. Once again I have a very hard time believing that so many female employees (including spouses/partners) of other workers would allow such an environment to exist without ever raising an issue. I just can't imagine it.

Bit that's what the investigation is for I guess. So we will know the truth of it eventually.
Did I miss-hear on today's video (edit: nope I didnt - see vid below) or did Colton (former Gasbar manager before LMG) state that among way too many hats he seems to wear that he is the head of HR for LMG? I'd like to know more about their qualifications to manage HR for a team of 120 while also leading business development, IP and many other things.

here is the head of HR reference:

Last edited:

small_law

When I was learning to build PCs and overclock, Gamer's Nexus was invaluable. Fuck it, Jays was too. Enough over my head to make me go out and figure out what they were talking about.

You know what wasn't? Linus.

simpatico

Linus hiring a CEO is proof he's ready to run. The corporate structure is what's making this so painful. He cannot give a heartfelt response because his heart is not in it anymore. Corporate culture is literal cancer, it's not just a meme. The big companies just have enough money to absorb it. If he really want to run from it, he should just sell the brand full stop. The half and half shit is just going to kill it's value with awkward moments like this. A few moments of tripping aside, he's a youtube tech legend. I'm not mocking him when I say to sell the brand. It's legit advice. Anything good that comes after this will be just a hollow. It ended when he hired a CEO, the GN video is just when the inertia ran out.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Linus hiring a CEO is proof he's ready to run. The corporate structure is what's making this so painful. He cannot give a heartfelt response because his heart is not in it anymore. Corporate culture is literal cancer, it's not just a meme. The big companies just have enough money to absorb it. If he really want to run from it, he should just sell the brand full stop. The half and half shit is just going to kill it's value with awkward moments like this. A few moments of tripping aside, he's a youtube tech legend. I'm not mocking him when I say to sell the brand. It's legit advice. Anything good that comes after this will be just a hollow. It ended when he hired a CEO, the GN video is just when the inertia ran out.

I think linus is more interested about the projects and the tech and he'd make a lousy ceo. Hiring a professional is a smart choice.

The fact he has the same guy running HR, promotions and whatnot is proof he can't CEO - HR must be run by HR professionals.

simpatico

I think linus is more interested about the projects and the tech and he'd make a lousy ceo. Hiring a professional is a smart choice.

The fact he has the same guy running HR, promotions and whatnot is proof he can't CEO - HR must be run by HR professionals.
Not sure. Linus is way better at running a youtube channel than he is at building computers.

Kdad

Scandal about sexual harassment in your workplace breaks -------> Include 69 joke in your "apology" video. LMAO. Cannot make this shit up.
An apology video that your new CEO was in and surely approved all aspects of....right...and approved by the head of HR (Colton wtf) right? Seems Linus and Yvonne are still pulling the owner card.

Last edited:

peish

can absolutely see maddison thing as mostly accurate. was surprised and worried for her when they hired her. knowing Ltt sex jokes and techbros culture. they probably hired her after seeing good response for her rog upgrade video, expecting to continue playing off her onscreen persona of "silly little girl let big brother teacha' you pc".

you can see this dripping off screen, the disrespectfulness. while i can't say how her work performance was, but imo, bluntly speaking, they hired her for playing a joke character, and you can see such treatment in later Ltt videos she appeared in, where other staffers kept jesting her on screen.

I mean he's probably right about everything but the dude from Gamers Nexus is one of the most insufferable people I've seen on YouTube. I've always found that channel pretentious as hell and not entertaining in the slightest.
What makes him insufferable and pretentious?

I don’t watch the channel a lot but it’s one of the best tech channels out there if you’re into PCs.

peish

I mean he's probably right about everything but the dude from Gamers Nexus is one of the most insufferable people I've seen on YouTube. I've always found that channel pretentious as hell and not entertaining in the slightest.

he is absolutely an insufferable douche bag, stopped clicking his videos after they became way too lengthy editorialized mockumentary of products/people he personally didn't liked

Top Bottom