• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamers Nexus - The Problem with Linus Tech Tips: Accuracy, Ethics, & Responsibility

winjer

Gold Member

admins GIF

Kdad

Not a bad video, the on brand sponsorship jokes grind my gears and Linus still doesn't seem to get it...I think that just might be his base mannerisms and phrasing make him seem disingenuous. Hopefully the new CEO keeps him in line and Yvonne does the rest.

Would be nice to hear them specifically call out GN and thank them for the reality check. Luke with the real shit.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

I'm not really disagreeing with you here but the point is that the gamers Nexus video, while addressing some valid points, is leaning on the petty side. I'm not going to take my favorite internet nerds side other than just trying to be objective myself. And if I didn't want so much of both these channels content I wouldn't be speaking on some of the things that maybe somebody like Linus has stated in the past. And none of this is worth the drama and the heartache it probably is causing them at the group because gamers Nexus is a little bit hurt over a comment that was baseless.

So you can either lean on it emotionally or you can put that emotion in the things that really matter the most like your family or something more important than the stupid Internet drama.

Enjoy the content, or not, and let's hope both these channels continue to grow because I find them both pretty viable and especially entertaining on the LTT side.

Another thing I should comment on is Steve's normal dry and cold delivery is just a little more obnoxious given how he leans into this in two of the videos he's already put out. People on the internet can cheer their favorite nerd over the other but it doesn't stop Steve from being obnoxious and annoying in this ordeal himself.

Get along and enjoy these channels.
You must have watched a different video to me if you think GN was being obnoxious about (data) problems that negatively impact GN work/viability as company.

In the GN video he said - in the past - the errors and people blindily supporting LTT info results in more work for them at GN because they needed to script around GN's results being inconsistent with LTT's errors. So despite being the smaller company they were previously taking the high ground, and have only now - probably when realising things aren't going to improve from LTT data - decided to take a stand ....on data integrity practices.

Topher

Gold Member
I'm not really disagreeing with you here but the point is that the gamers Nexus video, while addressing some valid points, is leaning on the petty side. I'm not going to take my favorite internet nerds side other than just trying to be objective myself. And if I didn't want so much of both these channels content I wouldn't be speaking on some of the things that maybe somebody like Linus has stated in the past. And none of this is worth the drama and the heartache it probably is causing them at the group because gamers Nexus is a little bit hurt over a comment that was baseless.

So you can either lean on it emotionally or you can put that emotion in the things that really matter the most like your family or something more important than the stupid Internet drama.

Enjoy the content, or not, and let's hope both these channels continue to grow because I find them both pretty viable and especially entertaining on the LTT side.

Another thing I should comment on is Steve's normal dry and cold delivery is just a little more obnoxious given how he leans into this in two of the videos he's already put out. People on the internet can cheer their favorite nerd over the other but it doesn't stop Steve from being obnoxious and annoying in this ordeal himself.

Get along and enjoy these channels.

I'd enjoy these channels more if I knew I could trust them. Ironic that this all started with LTT patting themselves on the back and now LTT is the one re-evaluating all their internal processes. You can keep saying Steve was being "petty" if you want, but fact of the matter is GN did LTT a huge favor.

Kdad

I like how the channel with an accuracy problem has their editors on call to make decisions in the middle of the night (per the doc shown at 5:37). Could that be part of the problem? Maybe ease off on the relentless CONTENTCONTENTCONTENT approach and let your team make decisions during working hours, when they’ve had a full night’s sleep?
Its an off hours process flow specifically regarding embargoed content where the embargo is going to end at midnight or some stupid hour....kinda comes with that job. Many people worldwide work shift work, why would LMG not have shift work for specific one off events like embargoed video launch? If they peeps make good decisions there'd be no crisis to deal with in the wee hours.

Thyuda

Its an off hours process flow specifically regarding embargoed content where the embargo is going to end at midnight or some stupid hour....kinda comes with that job. Many people worldwide work shift work, why would LMG not have shift work for specific one off events like embargoed video launch? If they peeps make good decisions there'd be no crisis to deal with in the wee hours.
I swear some people in here have never held a real job at a larger company in their lives, yet have strong opinions on how do lead such a company.

Sometimes it feels like nuanced discussion has become an impossibility online.

TVexperto

Yep, people are on some which hunt as if they're holy and perfect.

I think GN seems more petty after the last video response.

They need to worry about their own content and not policing LTT. Stick to what they do best.

Leave the rest to the other channels.
I get your perspective, but I see it differently. gn presented their points factually and objectively. linus, on the other hand, seemed more personal and didn't offer an apology. channels should focus on transparency and stick to facts, avoiding personal remarks. constructive criticism can lead to growth, and it's crucial for both to continue producing quality content.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I get your perspective, but I see it differently. gn presented their points factually and objectively. linus, on the other hand, seemed more personal and didn't offer an apology. channels should focus on transparency and stick to facts, avoiding personal remarks. constructive criticism can lead to growth, and it's crucial for both to continue producing quality content.
I agree again. Everyone can breath for a little while anticipating more content.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

Video would have meant more before Linus typed how they really feel

I have said this before here but for awhile I worked with young pitchers coming into the MLB who all of a sudden have money they never imagined

One of the things I always stressed (Thanks to Herm Edwards for saying it first)

DONT. HIT. SEND.

Don't put that shit out there because once you hit send its out there forever

Someone should have put their foot down prior to Linus hitting send

Not now that they are bleeding money as it doesn't feel they like really mean it

adamosmaki

For an apology video saying among other stuff their effort to make less mistakes they surely did a big one by showing the amount billet labs quoted them the block costs while asked not to do so

AJUMP23

At some point a trusted source becomes a large advertising firm and thinks about the next paycheck or generating revenue, before providing the service that brought them there. Everyone want more money.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Video would have meant more before Linus typed how they really feel

I have said this before here but for awhile I worked with young pitchers coming into the MLB who all of a sudden have money they never imagined

One of the things I always stressed (Thanks to Herm Edwards for saying it first)

DONT. HIT. SEND.

Don't put that shit out there because once you hit send its out there forever

Someone should have put their foot down prior to Linus hitting send

Not now that they are bleeding money as it doesn't feel they like really mean it
I remember the video where apologized after he called out Tim Sweeney for singing PS5's praises. I just realized that he was using that video to get more hits and more money since they have a pretty big 25 videos per week quota to hit. he knew an apology video would get more views than their other videos so it was a calculated move.

Just like this video. We know what he really thinks thanks to that forum post.

Kdad

I feel like Linus owes Steve an apology and his part of the video wasn't as great as the others, but it's good to see them taking this seriously and we'll see if they improve. I felt like Yvonne's segments were the most genuine.
LMG owes it to GN (not Steve) to thank GN for shining a light on issues that need fixing. I don't think LMG needs to apologize to GN, they need to apologize to their community (which today's video takes steps towards). Take the personalities out of it.

Needlecrash

Selling another company's prototype and not returning it back to the owner, or at least contacting them about it, is FUCKED UP. Billet Labs has a legit legal case for theft of an IP against LTT if they decide to go through with it. Also, throwing shade at Gamers Nexus when you're already on the downswing is sus as fuck.

brian0057

Banned
Jesus.
Reading some of the post both here and on social media you'd think Linus set an animal shelter ablaze.
Yes, he's an asshole. I think we can all agree on that. But maybe cool it with the severe allegations of sexual misconduct and possible suicide.
Especially when they come from sources without proof. If they're so bad, take it to the law. Apparently, people learned nothing from the #metoo debacle.

Zathalus

Coreteks? Lol.

That was 4 years ago. Just a quick glance at his YouTube channel can clearly reveal what type of content he pushes and that his understanding of technology is quite limited.

Edit: Is he seriously trying to take the ethical high ground with his dodgy sponsorship deals and links to dubious key sellers?

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Jesus.
Reading some of the post both here and on social media you'd think Linus set an animal shelter ablaze.
Yes, he's an asshole. I think we can all agree on that. But maybe cool it with the severe allegations of sexual misconduct and possible suicide.
Especially when they come from sources without proof. If they're so bad, take it to the law. Apparently, people learned nothing from the #metoo debacle.

Yeah.....some of this shit coming out of the woodwork reaks of "look at me". GN brought the receipts and pointed out specific issues. Random tweets and reddits? Nah....we don't need that shit here.

peish

I hope this is the beginning of Teh youtubers techbros war

LTT gary did not sound pleased with steve.

steve of course did the video because he felt hurt by LTT challenge.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
I hope this is the beginning of Teh youtubers techbros war

LTT gary did not sound pleased with steve.

steve of course did the video because he felt hurt by LTT challenge.
Nah, Steve just got fed up. He's fully aware of LMG's incompetence and has been for a long time but didn't bother. When they had the nerve to criticize him and HU, he went "Alright, that's enough."

Top Bottom