• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamers Nexus - The Problem with Linus Tech Tips: Accuracy, Ethics, & Responsibility

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
  • LTT Insults Gamer Nexus and Hardware Unboxed over their testing methodologies.
  • Hardware Unboxed hits back. Gamer Nexus takes the high road.
  • LTT doubles down forcing Gamer Jesus to go full biblical on their ass.
  • Exposes shady practices like Linus reviewing merchandise he himself has invested $200k in.
  • Exposes shockingly inaccurate data in CPU, GPU and CPU Cooler benchmarks that are off by up to 300%.
  • Exposes Linux for saying that he purposefully puts out videos with incorrect data because fixing it would cost another $500.
  • LTT employees themselves say that they are burnt out on making 25 videos a week.
  • LTT is now run by a seasoned industry CEO. Worth $100 million and has 120 employees.
  • LTT reviews a prototype GPU cooler for 3090 using a 4090 then botches the install and proceeds to trash the cooler despite inaccurate testing methodology.
  • The developer of the prototype cooler points out that this was poorly tested and that they were never contacted with the bizarre findings by LTT.
  • LTT then auctions off the prototype despite the developer requesting it back months ago. This was the only working prototype which means the work has now stalled.
  • LTT's most recent review of a mouse was somehow even worse with them trashing a mouse they werent even given for review. All because they forgot to remove a plastic tape at the bottom of the mouse causing it to lag.
  • LTT has a habit of issuing half hearted corrections instead of taking down videos and then not pinning the comments so people watch videos that have clear errors.
  • Gamer Jesus sides with the developers of the mouse and GPU cooler for being wronged by LTT and points out that small developers' entire life work is ruined because Linux didnt want to spend an extra $400 to fix a video.
TLDR. LTT is the EA of youtubers.
Added this post, great summary :)

coffinbirth

Don't forget passing down currency conversion costs to canadian customers, despite being a canadian company, based in canada and the product being located in Canada.
linus-sebastian-linus.gif

Wearing socks with sandals should be a dead giveaway to avoid this clown at all costs, but here we are...

Sleepwalker

For some it's console wars. No seriously, Steve had this comparison a few years back about PS5 120hz games that were not flattering to the console and some took exception to that.

Its all coming back now haha, funny how long people can hold grudges over a plastic box.

Jeez, how dumb was that LTT guy to try to insinuate that they had a better testing lab and testing process than the PC Jesus himself, just because they threw more money at their "lab" and wanted to gloat. Steve brought the receipts, even with their fancy lab building they are rushing shit out and doing a poor job. Not sure how Linus can respond to such a video other than to take it on the chin and admit their mistakes.

And again, just why, he's PC Jesus - don't try to dunk on him, you can't win that fight. He's the most methodical reviewer on the whole YouTube network.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
Linus has to address this on the WAN show this week right? This seems like too big of a deal to ignore or hope it goes away.
Also, either the new CEO fixes things or he's just a puppet.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Tech Jesus burning bridges while shouting, "THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!" I respect it though. GN has always been good about data and proof as far as I've known. I can't say I'm too surprised about all the LTT stuff. To me they've always felt more like a "YouTube entertainment" thing rather than data and accuracy.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

I know I have posted some of Linus videos over the years as "data" that might influence someone purchase of PS tech but Steve points out a lot of flaws with their testing and reporting

Ooh, have to watch this. Also, starting a fight with GamersNexus and Hub over testing methodologies (especially GN) seems very unwise.

I am also utterly disappointed by LTT lately, the quality of their content indeed has fallen by a ton over last couple years.

winjer

Gold Member
I finished watching Steve's video and it's very impressive.
When I stopped subscribing to LTT, they were clearly on a downward trend of quality.
But I never could have imagine they would ever become this bad. The sheer level of incompetence and falsehood is staggering.

Bry0

This was great. LTT quality drop is palpable. That recent model f video made me want to claw my eyes out. I don’t think there was a single thing in that video that didn’t misrepresent the product. Why should I watch their videos if they can’t even bother to get basic information correct?

They should just stick to strapping industrial fans to cpu coolers and stuff.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Why did that dude in the warehouse say anything, I would fire him on the spot.
Yeah, that didn't need to be said, or at least documented at all. Really kind of shot themselves in the foot with that. Which is good IMO, people that just randomly make comments like that about others are pretty shitty, lol.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Yeah, that didn't need to be said, or at least documented at all. Really kind of shot themselves in the foot with that. Which is good IMO, people that just randomly make comments like that about others are pretty shitty, lol.
Its part of the problem.

If the employees werent rushing to put content out, they would have spotted that and edited it out.
Starting beef with GN and/or HUB is unwise.

MiguelItUp

Its part of the problem.

If the employees werent rushing to put content out, they would have spotted that and edited it out.
Starting beef with GN and/or HUB is unwise.
Agreed. Just hilarious to see them slip like that. Which one can only assume it had to of been. Cause just like you said, starting beef with either of them is unwise. Very unprofessional as well.

SJRB

Gold Member
Massive L for Linus. What the hell were they thinking?

Subreddit is a hoot too, surprisingly.

Do you know why they release 25 videos per week?

Their strategy has been quantity over quality, and it has been for many years. The videos are just an outlet for them to sell more ads, sponsorships, and their own merch. The actual content has become secondary. Their lab thing is also just a tool to market their LTT branded items or other products, while also making themselves appear more data driven. The only data they care is the videos' performance on the youtube analytics page. It explains their half-hearted approach in fixing their mistakes in their videos.

They have become the buzzfeed of youtube. Their priority is to spam content for clicks.

And then you have their atrocious, irresponsible treatment of billet labs.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Holy shit the review of that copper waterblock is such a joke.

“Whoops I thought this was a 3090 when I started disassembling the stock cooler but it’s actually a 4090, we’ll just test it using the 4090 even though it’s not officially supported”

- trash the product in their review

“I shouldn’t have to apologize because it would’ve cost us a couple hundred $ to redo the review using the GPU it was meant for”

- then instead of sending that prototype back as they requested, LTT auctions it off (potentially even to a competitor that wants to rip off the design), and that company (just a startup with 2 guys) is now stalled because they lost their best prototype

Puscifer

Watched it all and I have to say I'm unimpressed, I know I'm going to get a lot of shit for but nothing Steve brought up is different that what most have been saying for years. They really took that pot shot too seriously imo

The worst bit I took from this was selling that prototype which is a bitch move from LMG

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Kind of disappointing that he admits to tip-toeing around LTT errors and writing scripts to soften the blow of conflicting findings.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Do you know why they release 25 videos per week?

Their strategy has been quantity over quality, and it has been for many years. The videos are just an outlet for them to sell more ads, sponsorships, and their own merch. The actual content has become secondary. Their lab thing is also just a tool to market their LTT branded items or other products, while also making themselves appear more data driven. The only data they care is the videos' performance on the youtube analytics page. It explains their half-hearted approach in fixing their mistakes in their videos.

They have become the buzzfeed of youtube. Their priority is to spam content for clicks.

And then you have their atrocious, irresponsible treatment of billet labs.
You say this while they make good content. Mistakes, yes. Good production BUT a little rushed at times.

I think it's easy to label Linus as just sole bot or soulless person in this but if you listen to their shows regularly, he has some good practices and is clearly flawed by his own words.

GN did a great job and hopefully a little more diligence will be taken AND he holds himself and his team more accountable. I'm pretty none of us know what's it's like to manage a 100 person and growing company. He gets a little slack while not free from critique.

Top Bottom