• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nexus Mods to increase prices by 40%+ in June

Draugoth

Gold Member
default.png

Price increases

We know that increasing prices is never an easy thing to talk about, and it’s something we try to do as infrequently as possible - the last time was 3 years ago and before that, it was back in 2013, so two price increases in 11 years. Monetary inflation alone is over 15% since 2021 and we could write an entire news post about how we’re using the money to improve all of our products but to keep things simple here are the big ticket items:

• We have donated $8 million USD to mod authors, and we’re currently adding more than $10,000 per day to that fund.
  • We now have over 30 staff working at Nexus Mods, including the app team working on the future of open-source mod management and our community team which has grown by 3x. We are actively recruiting for our community team.
  • We have increased our server and CDN infrastructure capabilities to many multiples of where they were 3 years ago to deal with the increased demand and are continuing to do so as our traffic increases. We have just this week signed off on purchasing another 30x16TB NVME drives for our own CDN nodes and increasing their network capacity to 80Gb/sec per node to keep up with demand. During our most recent peak following the release of the Fallout series we moved more than 2.5PB in 24 hours at an average speed of around 225Gb/sec, and this would have been even higher if we weren’t maxing out every 10G network port that we had available!
  • Keeping the website and API online now requires infrastructure that spans over 700 CPUs and 5TB of memory to help serve around 4,000 incoming web requests per second at peak times. Over the entire nexusmods.com domain we serve 1 billion requests per day.

The current price of a subscription is £4.99 (~$6.50) plus taxes monthly and £49.99 (~$65) plus taxes yearly. The new prices, excluding taxes, are listed below - these come into effect on 17 June 2024.

Monthly
USD $8.99 plus tax
GBP £7.19 plus tax
EUR €8.39 plus tax

Annual
USD $89.99 plus tax
GBP £71.99 plus tax​

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
dont see the point of this subscriptions, if im not mistaken they just cap your speed if you using it free right

Mithos

i thought the site was free, been on there since maybe 2007 and haven't spent a dime
It is free BUT...

Download speed is capped if using free account.

Free:
~1,5MB/s with adblocker activated.
~3,0MB/s with adblock deactivated.

Premium:
"Unlimited" download speed if paying for premium.
Also you can use wabbajack modlist 1 click install full modlist configuration.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

It is free BUT...

"Unlimited" downloadspeed if paying for premium.
Yeah, large mod list automated download/install is where true advantage lies for a sub. Wabbajack is one place and Nexus has mod collections now you can install through Vertex I believe.

It’s pretty huge to be able to download a 300+ mod list and have to do only minor cleanup and config. Note this mainly applies to Bethesda games. But for those it’s a huge timesaver which is worth the current $5 or so for a particular month.

Last edited:

Soltype

It is free BUT...

Free:

Premium:
"Unlimited" download speed if paying for premium.

Yeah, large mod list automated download/install is where true advantage lies for a sub. Wabbajack is one place and Nexus has mod collections now you can install through Vertex I believe.

It’s pretty huge to be able to download a 300+ mod list and have to do only minor cleanup and config. Note this mainly applies to Bethesda games. But for those it’s a huge timesaver which is worth the current $5 or so for a particular month.
never knew this was a thing, it makes sense though.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
I bought lifetime premium about a year before they made it available only to "mod authors who hit a threshold of unique downloads each month" and/or "mod authors via the Donation Points store". If there's ever something you use on a semi-regular basis and it has a (non-crazy-priced) lifetime option, you should almost always jump on it. Those never last, and subscriptions suck butt.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Yeah... no. Most people aren't willing to pay for mods and most mods aren't worth paying for, not to mention the modders doing complex work worthy of monetization often already have patreons anyway.

Nexus has been going to shit lately with their moderation. I myself have been getting mods from other places, at least many of the great ones aren't even there to begin with.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Any day now!

5gVCSpq.png
Yeah, people are underestimating level of effort to properly implement something like Nexus. And their API features are very good for what they are and wouldn’t be easy to replicate.

It’s also not cheap to run and maintain that infrastructure.

Last edited:

nani17

are in a big trouble
This is what happens when you have no competition? I can imagine the amount of people that are just going to pay the year before the price hike

Yeah, people are underestimating level of effort to properly implement something like Nexus. And their API features are very good for what they are and wouldn’t be easy to replicate.

I'm just old, wtf do I need to use an API for a mod site? I just need to download the mod, I'll install it on my own.

I know some people love the convenience of mod managers and stuff but it just seems like a ton of overhead to me.

ModDB > NexusMods and all their bullsh1t

Red5

This is what happens when you have no competition? I can imagine the amount of people that are just going to pay the year before the price hike

There's Moddb, older than Nexus, been using it since Dawn of War came out back in 2005 I think. But Nexus has a lot more content and has the Vortex app that integrates mods directly into games.

Guilty_AI

But Nexus has a lot more content and has the Vortex app that integrates mods directly into games.
However, i think Moddb mods tend to be way more interesting and well developed than the ones on Nexus. I've seen plenty of 'mods' there that are really just full games,

Last edited:

Ridaxan

I paid for premium (but I have a grandfathered lifetime account). I've only recently started using the extended features around collections, etc and I definitely appreciate the features. It would most likely be a tough sell for me on the monthly.

They don't frequently change pricing if I recall though, so it's not entirely unexpected. The free tier should be fine for most people.

StereoVsn

I'm just old, wtf do I need to use an API for a mod site? I just need to download the mod, I'll install it on my own.

I know some people love the convenience of mod managers and stuff but it just seems like a ton of overhead to me.

ModDB > NexusMods and all their bullsh1t
For automated mod lists installs. It literally can save you days of fiddling with mod lists once you are up to a few hundred mods.

StereoVsn

However, i think Moddb mods tend to be way more interesting and well developed than the ones on Nexus. I've seen plenty of 'mods' there that are really just full games,
ModDB doesn’t have nearly the amount of mods. It’s fine for augmenting larger mod lists, but you can’t build a full on collection out of that.

Again, for some games you have hundreds of mods being used at a time.

StueyDuck

Banned
nexus mods can get fucked.

A bunch of losers run that site.

i feel bad for modders though where it's essentially their only choice if they want mass visibility.

As someone that only ever uses a few mods at a time, I'm fine with free Nexus. Probably used ModDB more over the years, it's at least not all pages upon pages of thicc elf models when browsing for a mod to try on Skyrim

xrnzaaas

The more people stop paying them the better. Besides 1,5MB/s isn't bad unless you want to download some huge project that weighes as much as a full game.

Guilty_AI

ModDB doesn’t have nearly the amount of mods. It’s fine for augmenting larger mod lists, but you can’t build a full on collection out of that.

Again, for some games you have hundreds of mods being used at a time.
I didn't say it had more, i said it had better mods with a lot more effort put into them.

I mean, look at this stuff:

StereoVsn

I didn't say it had more, i said it had better mods with a lot more effort put into them.

I mean, look at this stuff:

And it’s fine if you want to try one or two mods. What I am saying is that ModDB doesn’t work for something like Skyrim or Fallout 4 mod list that would have hundreds of mods and where Nexus could help with automation of installs of that.

The two have basically different purposes.

Guilty_AI

And it’s fine if you want to try one or two mods. What I am saying is that ModDB doesn’t work for something like Skyrim or Fallout 4 mod list that would have hundreds of mods and where Nexus could help with automation of installs of that.

The two have basically different purposes.
And why exactly you decided to quote me and tell me this? It has nothing to do with what i said.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
It is free. However, maybe they could further throttle non-paying customers. Most mods aren't really that big and if I do find one that's particularly large, I just do something else while I wait.

I do feel that modders should get a small cut of the sub price if they have a particularly popular mod, either with many downloads or endorsements.

I never even checked how much the sub price is....

default.png

All their moderators that will ban your mod for containing elements not suitable for "modern audiences" don't come free you know.

Top Bottom