• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games in the series, but too much different from the source

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
With the new God of War coming up, continuing the new 2018 direction - which has a clunky and lame combat - what other games changed the style to get more people into?

Oh, and this thread is not to exactly burn a franchise or something. Let's discuss all the stuff

Couple rules:
- spin offs doesn't apply here - all those Mario, Sonic, Mega Man...
- there's some natural progressions, like Resident Evil VII/VIII, so doesn't apply too
- yeah, yeah, RE 4, 5 and 6. Show another thing, ok?!
- show real difference between the games, like Star Fox 64 and Adventures, not like the first Castlevania and Symphony of the Night

Robb

Gold Member
I’m not a fan of Super Mario 3D Land/World. Having levels that are timed is just awful imo. I’d take any other 3D Mario over those any day of the week, even Sunshine.

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I don't really follow the parameters of the question, a bit confusing to see what type of examples you're after

> what other games changed the style to get more people into?

So... do you mean essentially: "what games in a franchise changed their core formula or gameplay in order to widen the appeal, but ended up losing part of their identity or quality in the process?" ...?

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
which has a clunky and lame combat
rebecca-edgerunners.gif

Bragr

Banned
Prince of Persia. That second game in the reboot that tried to be "metal".

Assassins Creed and the open-world approach. Not for the worse, but I am glad they are bringing back the old-school design with the newer games.

Splinter Cell. Conviction and Blacklist changed it up quite a bit, I am not sure if it was for the worse, but it become more action-oriented and lost some of that more hardcore approach.

Dawn of War III, and II for that matter, stepping away from that amazing RTS formula they went it in the first game. Such a weird direction they took that franchise, everybody wanted them to continue the RTS approach.

Or a more nuanced one, Gran Turismo adopted the "give the player tons of cars" approach from other car games, moving away from the more "hard to get" collection-based earlier ones.

therealmoonface

Neo Member
Devil May Cry to DmC changed combat and tone to appeal to a wider audience, I’d say it worked for me since the reboot is the only game in the series I’ve managed to play all the way through.

Lots of examples come to mind

- Devil May Cry 5

- Bayonetta 3

- Final Fantasy XIII

- Final Fantasy XV(might as well be a fucking spin off game tbh.. then again it was before they changed the name)

- Aragami 2

- Metal Gear Solid V

- Darksiders 3

Hoppa

Dynasty Warriors 9 - their attempt at an open world failed hard. Samurai Warriors 5 was great though so hopefully they took the feedback onboard.

Graciaus

Breath of Fire 5 is the first to always pop into my mind. Went from a traditional jrpg to a combination of a few different genres. It killed the series but the kicker is the game was great.

Everything Halo related after Bungie quit.

small_law

I know I'm going to catch hell for this, but the combat systems in FFXIII and FFXV are so awkward and shitty that you wouldn't think they were in the same franchise as the previous main line installments. FFVII Remake doesn't get a pass either, but it at least it was more restrained than the crazy bullshit in FFXV and was more engaging than FFXIII's narcoleptic simplicity.

consoul

Guilty Gear 2: Overture wasn't even a fighting game.

On the other hand you've got Dynasty Warriors (PS1) which was a 1v1 fighting game, until the series shifted gears and defined the musou genre.

SCB3

I know I'm going to catch hell for this, but the combat systems in FFXIII and FFXV are so awkward and shitty that you wouldn't think they were in the same franchise as the previous main line installments. FFVII Remake doesn't get a pass either, but it at least it was more restrained than the crazy bullshit in FFXV and was more engaging than FFXIII's narcoleptic simplicity.
XV really devolved into fight, heal, fight, heal, fight, heal, super, heal for like 90% of the fights, I could never get a good combo going with the point strikes until the Leviathan fight where you needed to

Well, Fallout 3 was a dramatic departure from the original duo, had worse writing, quest design and did some shit with the lore that made no sense. But i wouldn't say it was a bad thing, because it brought the IP into the full front of the consumer's awareness. Besides, it's a great game, and led to the arrival of New Vegas, which is one of the best RPGs ever made (modded and finished with the JSawyer mod, obviously).

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Both of those games are better than FF VII remake but yeah...

Breath of the Wild is the best direction Zelda has taken since the jump to 3D. Literally one game and the fans are screaming for dungeons. Keep crying.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I had problems with Nu-GOW but the combat is one of the strengths. The only flaw with it was enemy variety. Anyway - Donkey Kong Country, Duke Nukem 3D, and Paper Mario (and then Super Paper Mario).

Top Bottom