• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games where the environment feels like the main character

Hugare

* Bioshock Infinite

Couldnt care two shits about Elizabeth or Booker. Everytime I replay it I just want to experience Columbia.

* Assasins Creed Unity

Same as Bioshock Infinite. Couldnt care less about Arno's story, France during the french revolution tho? One of the best settings ever.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
REmake. Totally. The art design, map layout, traps, shortcuts, block-offs, enemy and ammo placement, having to plot routes to save rooms or try and predict which items you'll need for where. Spencer Mansion isn't just a hub or a dungeon, it's the foil for Chris and Jill. The game doesn't take place in a Mansion, the game IS the Mansion. Never seen a more brilliant use of game space before or since. REmake gets the nod over the OG just because it's fucking atmospherically marvelous while not losing an ounce of the originals purpose.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Katamari Damacy, kind of in a literal way

Corian33

STALKER series. I vividly remember in the original game how the center of the Zone very much felt like a dangerous creature that knew I was approaching.

• Strength
Reactions: Gp1
REmake. Totally. The art design, map layout, traps, shortcuts, block-offs, enemy and ammo placement, having to plot routes to save rooms or try and predict which items you'll need for where. Spencer Mansion isn't just a hub or a dungeon, it's the foil for Chris and Jill. The game doesn't take place in a Mansion, the game IS the Mansion. Never seen a more brilliant use of game space before or since. REmake gets the nod over the OG just because it's fucking atmospherically marvelous while not losing an ounce of the originals purpose.
I agree with you on most of this. You nailed most of the details that give REmake soul. The only thing I'm iffy about is that the REmake supersedes the OG. While that was the intention, for the REmake to obsolete the OG...I as a player disagree and believe both can co exist and should co exist. The OG RE has many quirks and a unique feel that's never been replicated again even in later classic REs and even updated ports of OG RE like the DS port Resident Evil Deadly Silence

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I agree with you on most of this. You nailed most of the details that give REmake soul. The only thing I'm iffy about is that the REmake supersedes the OG. While that was the intention, for the REmake to obsolete the OG...I as a player disagree and believe both can co exist and should co exist. The OG RE has many quirks and a unique feel that's never been replicated again even in later classic REs and even updated ports of OG RE like the DS port Resident Evil Deadly Silence

Oh, I probably worded it poorly towards the end. I didn't mean to imply the original was obsolete by any means, just that, on a strictly subjective, personal taste type metric, it's my preferred version to play if I "want to play the first Resident Evil again,"

And my reasoning is due almost entirely to the visual and audio upgrades given to it. I prefer it as an experience, that's to say. I have hella respect for the original game. The entire franchise it's spawned based on that first game is proof of it's excellence, but like...

Okay. It's like I don't usually say to myself "You know what sounds good? The theatrical cut of Return Of The King," Now, teenage Kira went and saw the theatrical cut, at the theater. Five times. Clearly I valued the original version, but the extended edition is just more of what I loved about the original, alongside everything that I loved about the original.

Oh, I probably worded it poorly towards the end. I didn't mean to imply the original was obsolete by any means, just that, on a strictly subjective, personal taste type metric, it's my preferred version to play if I "want to play the first Resident Evil again,"

And my reasoning is due almost entirely to the visual and audio upgrades given to it. I prefer it as an experience, that's to say. I have hella respect for the original game. The entire franchise it's spawned based on that first game is proof of it's excellence, but like...

Okay. It's like I don't usually say to myself "You know what sounds good? The theatrical cut of Return Of The King," Now, teenage Kira went and saw the theatrical cut, at the theater. Five times. Clearly I valued the original version, but the extended edition is just more of what I loved about the original, alongside everything that I loved about the original.
Dark Souls Gamer GIF by BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment

Right on. I respect that 100%. I too usually prefer the REmake myself for the reasons you mentioned...but the OG definitely is worth it for many reasons and put the series on the map!

Roberts

Grounded. The backyard open world is just amazingly rich, full of character and detail. I remember the sense of discovery when you reach some new area for the first time, both excited and terrified of what you are going to meet there.

And, yes, The Outer Wilds is up there too.

buenoblue

I'm deep into Assassins creed odyssey
at the minute in PS5. Games is absolutely beautiful at 60fps on ps5 and the environment looks great. I just 3njoy looking at the scenery in that game. Especially the Atlantis dlc area.

StueyDuck

Technically, puzzle games like myst and the witness where the environment is the game and the character and so on.

Last edited:
Top Bottom