• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you couldn't play for any (moral) reason

keraj37

I really look forward to seeing answers from gaffers.
For me, the reason is mainly my Faith - some may be surprised, but I am a devoted Catholic, traditional Catholic, not like Joseph Biden.

1. That is why I never could really play GTAV, since it is just brutal and promotes crime. Period.
2. I bought CP77 day one on GOG, played like 1 hour, until I realized there is an occult stuff there, in regard to Tarot. Dumped game and never booted again. Shame since it looked attractive!

keraj37

Wait, so being a cyberpunk gang member, killing people, stealing stuff etc is ok, but tarot is a no go?

Is this a troll post?
I never really knew what this game is going to be about, so maybe later when I would discover what you are saying and see it is depicted in very brutal way, I would dump it as well.

simpatico

For me, the reason is mainly my Faith - some may be surprised, but I am a devoted Catholic, traditional Catholic, not like Joseph Biden.

1. That is why I never could really play GTAV, since it is just brutal and promotes crime. Period.
2. I bought CP77 day one on GOG, played like 1 hour, until I realized there is an occult stuff there, in regard to Tarot. Dumped game and never booted again. Shame since it looked attractive!
I don’t adhere to it myself, but I very much respect your stance on this. Kudos. Genuinely

As someone with a Catholic background, I have to ask: What games do you play? I ask because once you look for it, you'll find plenty of occult stuff in a lot of games, not just a few. Not just the ones where it's obvious.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
1097704-921985_front.jpg

Apparently, some of the women featured in this game turned out to be underage.

Last edited:

acidagfc

I never really knew what this game is going to be about, so maybe later when I would discover what you are saying and see it is depicted in very brutal way, I would dump it as well.
Ok, definetely a troll then.
ALL the markrting of this game was very much M rated. Violence, swearing, sex, it is all right there, you don't need to buy the game to know what you are getting.

Patrick S.

Banned
That JFK assassination game that literally consists of looking through a scope and firing at JFK once you have good aim was a real WTF when it came out. I couldn’t believe they made something like that. I played it, tho…

I would never ever not play a game because of moral reasons. And god doesn’t exist.

The whole AAA gaming industry is really morally foul, anyway. All aspects of it.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
There hasn't been a game I haven't played for moral reasons, a lot of other reasons but if it looks interesting enough to try it out, moral reasons like too much violence etc aren't a detracting factor.

Killer8

I never played Manhunt because I just found the fact it glorified violence stupid. The gameplay didn't even seem that compelling and it felt like it was just using controversy for marketing.

You should play it because it doesn't glorify violence at all. The key predicament of the main character is that he's being forced to kill by the director of a snuff film, otherwise his family will die. The people he kills happen to be the lowest of society: rapists, gangbangers, murderers, pedophiles and neo-nazis. I don't think there should be much of a moral quandary with dispatching people like that who are out to get you first.

The game is also much better classified as a horror game. The entire experience is unnerving and will make you feel incredibly dirty, which is of course the point, but it also should be said that the player having such a reaction to it means they're probably a fairly well adjusted person. It's not really intended to be an enjoyable experience in much the same way that an effective horror film shouldn't really be.

Last edited:

Banned

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

short answer no...

Last edited:

Solidus_T

Is this 2003 with Jack Thompson again? The GTA games actually do not promote crime in any way and I don't know how you would get this from the games. They contain relatively strong critiques and satire of modern day society, inequality, and the criminal layers on the fringe of society created by it. Just listening to the radio in these games is a great satire of pop culture in the US in particular. Some of the jabs are hilarious and easy to see, like a supercar called "Vapid."

Anyway, I never let moral convictions prevent me from experiencing art. I will only play games that are appealing to me.

Sleepwalker

For me it's not about the game itself, but I refuse to patronize the makers of Disco Elysium. Espousing the ideology that has lead to the systematic murder of over 150 million people, and hanging a portrait of one of humanities most brutal mass-murderers is a hard line for me.
Actually I find that game to be extremely pretentious and boring, but now I'm curious about this, can you explain more? I have no interest in playing it more to find out.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

I can say that nothing presented, in any game I have ever played, has ever offended me. I can not agree with actions that a character takes, but it is a story. I couldn't imagine being so effected by a game/movie/song/story.

In saying that, I don't pass any judgement on people who are put off my certain subject matter, I just cannot relate. This will absolutely sound horrible, but I could get through a gameplay segment where I am tasked with killing kids. There is just a disconnect from my actions in a video game, and my personal feelings of morality. If anything, I find the extreme dichotomy between actions in video games, and my real life interesting.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I played Postal 2 a few times and noped out. It was just overly gratuitous. If I were going to take a stand against games in some way it would probably be those that make me feel dumber for playing them.

Even though I've heard a lot of supposedly good things about Disco Elysium. I don't think I'll ever touch it. I've heard it's made by a bunch of hardcore Stanlists/Marxists, and honestly I've just no interest in exposing myself to any of their diatribe.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Bro it's fiction. God should be smart enough to tell the difference.

MarkMe2525

So we all agree the big bang was what started the universe before time, space and matter. And the big bang came to be due to a spark. Who created said spark I wonder 🤔
That's a misunderstanding of the concept of a big bang. Science educators may allude to such a scenario for simplicity sake, but no cosmologist or astrophysicist believes the series of events you describe.

It is extremely complicated but essentially, the "big bang" is just an artifact of incomplete knowledge. When you take what we can currently observe, apply our known laws of physics and hit the rewind button, it gets to a point where the math breaks down into a singularity. Singularities are not physically real objects, but a mathematical construct. Anytime a physicist encounters a singularity, that tells them that there are variables that are missing.

The idea that this singularity is some sort of real state that the early universe was configured in was adopted by people who actually never understood physics, and by the Catholic church. You will find real science educators use the term "big bang", but it is a metaphor for the earliest state of the universe that we cannot probe with our current incomplete understanding or the laws of nature. There is a reason the holy grail of physics is a grand unifying theory. We know our current two governing rules of the large and small are incomplete (General Relativity/Quantum Field Theory), so why would we believe the obviously flawed outcome that is derived from pushing these two concepts to their absolute extreme?

And as always, the argument you present "who created that spark" is easily dismissed with the question "who created the creator". That viewpoint leads to the inevitable chicken or egg scenario which is unanswerable.

I can't think of anything I've avoided for moral reasons. I don't have a lot of personal restrictions of that sort. Maybe I've avoided some games for ideological reasons but not faith based.

DaGwaphics

A game isn't real life, therefore I can be Agent 47 in a game and not feel bad about it, the atrocities I commit in an imaginary game world don't keep me up at night.

With that said, I do think it would be nice to get more games that represent the "good" side of the shootouts. Maybe a mafia type game but from the perspective of the police, etc.

Violent video games probably aren't a good choice for players with mental disorders that limit empathy impulses though, I'll give you that.

Top Bottom