• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you never thought you would enjoy...but then you got addicted to

Mokus

Team Fortress 2. I thought that the cartoonish style can't work with multiplayer FPS games. But after trying it in a free weekend I was hooked.

ReyBrujo

Personally I was never into stealth games until I played The Coma in Switch. Playing a game where you are hunted by creatures and without any weapon, only stealth was really cool. In fact I replayed the first one until I unlocked everything (something I never do, not even in RPGs which is my favorite genre). I got the Metal Gear Solid trilogy for Switch which I bought along the console and was not planning on playing it anytime soon but enjoyed The Coma so much I might give it a try earlier than thought.

I was NEVER a fan of rogue-like games. I didn't like how you could die and lose all the progress you had made in the game, and have to start over from scratch. I always enjoyed narrative driven games, especially JRPGs, where you leveled up your character in a somewhat linear progression - so that the more time you put into a game, the stronger you got. Anything else just felt like I was wasting time. I played Rogue Legacy back when it released, and I kind of liked it but also felt frustrated by it.

I was in my 40s when I played Hades a few years ago, and it changed my life. While I was initially drawn in by the narrative, I soon learned the joy of rogue-likes. In fact, I'd say that behind RPGs it's now my second favorite genre of game. Inscryption, Balatro, Vampire Survivors, Brotato, Dead Cells, Monster Train, and Slay the Spire are now some of my all-time favorite games.

You are missing Dicey Dungeons it seems. I tried Inscryption but didn't quite clicked with me, it takes sooo damn looong after you die to start again (at least on Switch), I want immediate revenge, not such a delay (sorry, cartridge generation lol). I also tried Roguebook and Clash of Heroes but didn't quite feel them yet so I took a break. Hades I bought it but haven't started it, I prefer 1-square steps in roguelikes and not free roaming. And I could suggest a few others that are more RPG oriented, Dungeon Encounters, Voice of Cards: The Isle Dragon Roars, Etrian, Labyrinth of Refrain (right now doing the post-game to finish the story) and Labyrinth of Galleria which I believe is right now the epitome of Japanese dungeon crawler.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
R6 Siege. I thought it would be a camping fest, but then I thought "why not go for a camper hunting?"

StueyDuck

Banned
I basically know my tastes now.

But myself and I'm sure many are with me in saying that they weren't expecting batman arkham asylum to be such a win when it released.

I tried it on a whim and the franchise became one of my favorite for many years. Brawlers up until then kind of bored me, the only ones I really had fun with were games like golden axe n streets of rage but that was more because I was a young punk playing games with my older brother and less about the games themselves being all that amazing (hard to top gunstar heroes when you had a Sega and hadn't gotten an snes yet)

Last edited:

nush

Gold Member
Way back, my brother highly recommended Fallout 3 to me. I bought it and tried to play it several times and just couldn't get into it at all. Went back to it much later and it suddenly clicked. I ended up getting all the trophies, played the game as good/evil/neutral just to see the differences, and explored every nook and cranny of the map. It was the only thing I wanted to play for quite a while and it's led me to enjoying other games in the franchise too.
Same, I restarted that game multiple times over a couple of years until it clicked for me.

BlackTron

I can repeat it, sorry. I'm a bit quiet.

I was always aggressively dismissive towards it, just calling it "Another Nintendo game with a boring/basic art style for toddlers", mostly coming from the fact that I hated Mario (Still do), I was basically extending it to Kirby as well.

I mean by saying you lumped Kirby in because Mario it heavily implies that Mario is "another for toddlers with boring/basic artstyle"...but you didn't outright say it!

After your Kirby anecdote this tbh calls into question whether you ever played Mario at all or just judged it cause cartoon character on box lol

TheUsual

Gold Member
Mass Effect 3 multi-player. I scoffed at it when they announced it and assumed it would be trash. Then I put 500 hours into it.
This mode taught me the dangers of loot boxes. Spent way too much on those loot boxes. ME3 multiplayer was so unexpectedly great though.

Paying attention to the teams that were the first to beat Platinum level difficulty maps was always a treat. A few Gold rounds here and there for me. No way I could go above that.

I mean by saying you lumped Kirby in because Mario it heavily implies that Mario is "another for toddlers with boring/basic artstyle"...but you didn't outright say it!
You are right, it was implied.
I do believe Mario looks mind-numbingly boring. The enemies, Mario and Luigi. Bowser. All of them, literally all of them, besides Wario, looks basic and boring, to me.

I get that it is considered blasphemy to say anything remotely bad about Mario (Not saying  you believe that), and I'm not trying to be that guy. But yeah... I don't care about anyone's nostalgia, and I believe most people here are adults that can or should handle the idea that just because I say something is ______, doesn't you are _______, or that you should think the game is ________ yourself.

It's not a gameplay beef. I played 64, and I played the DS one. Gameplay is really good, and the controls are like they were designed by God itself.

Is just that the gameplay is not good enough to make me tolerate the mind-numbingly boring art style.

Which isn't the case for Kirby. The art style is slightly more interesting, to me, and even if it wasn't, the Gameplay totally carries it.

amigastar

Phoenix Point with Terror from the Void mod. Never thought i would put so many hours into the game, but it's a hidden gem with this mod.

Last edited:
So GAF...i need your help: I just casually tried Genshin Impact (after making fun of GaaS games for years) and now i can't stop playing it
I wish this was a joke...but this crap is insanely addictive.

I'm a 35 year old dude...i don't need this in my life right now. I installed FFVII Rebirth the same day i saw a friend play Genshin Impact on my PS5...and i haven't even tried Rebirth cause i just got lost in this game.

I'm already at adventure level 15 or something like that. For someone that never expected to play this...it's great lmao.

Any case similar to this?
I was super hooked on Genshin Impact at first, then I hit the second area and dropped it after a day.

Overwatch. I was coming off WoW after a long, long time as my one and only game. Picked it up for "free" with Bnet currency never thinking it would amount to much as I didn't really care that much for the pvp side of things, suck thousands of hours, and never looked back.

Returnal is another as I fucking loathe rogue-lites, but my god the way that game worms it's way into the brain leaving me obsessing over it minutes after quitting a run making it a pita to put down for long periods of time.

ReBurn

Gold Member
GTA III. Picked it up as a weekend rental thinking I'd be bored of it in a day or so. After staying up all night playing it I went out and bought a new copy the next day. I was hooked like crazy.

BlackTron

You are right, it was implied.
I do believe Mario looks mind-numbingly boring. The enemies, Mario and Luigi. Bowser. All of them, literally all of them, besides Wario, looks basic and boring, to me.

I get that it is considered blasphemy to say anything remotely bad about Mario (Not saying  you believe that), and I'm not trying to be that guy. But yeah... I don't care about anyone's nostalgia, and I believe most people here are adults that can or should handle the idea that just because I say something is ______, doesn't you are _______, or that you should think the game is ________ yourself.

It's not a gameplay beef. I played 64, and I played the DS one. Gameplay is really good, and the controls are like they were designed by God itself.

Is just that the gameplay is not good enough to make me tolerate the mind-numbingly boring art style.

Which isn't the case for Kirby. The art style is slightly more interesting, to me, and even if it wasn't, the Gameplay totally carries it.

Fair enough. You were playing GBA Kirby and GBA is like hyper SNES for sprite art. The antithesis of 3D N64 and DS games.

The 2D Mario games on GBA look just as good as Nightmare in Dreamland 🤷‍♂️

BTW you might want to get around to trying 3 and World

Aenima

Conan Exiles. I grew up watching Conan movies but i never enjoyed survival games. Tried out Conan Exiles cuz was "free" on PS+ and put 600+ hours into it. I even burned some parts of the HUD in my TV.

Recently tried to go back to it on PS5 to try the new content, but unfortunatly the game is locked at 30fps in a PS4 version, so i droped it.

Fbh

Hades.
Because I didn't like Rougelikes/lites. I remember being really disappointed when Supergiant announced their newest game would be a roguelite.
But gave it a chance based on all the positive buzz and how much I enjoyed their previous games, and it ended up being the game to finally sell me on the genre.

Last edited:

sigmaZ

So GAF...i need your help: I just casually tried Genshin Impact (after making fun of GaaS games for years) and now i can't stop playing it
I wish this was a joke...but this crap is insanely addictive.

I'm a 35 year old dude...i don't need this in my life right now. I installed FFVII Rebirth the same day i saw a friend play Genshin Impact on my PS5...and i haven't even tried Rebirth cause i just got lost in this game.

I'm already at adventure level 15 or something like that. For someone that never expected to play this...it's great lmao.

Any case similar to this?

Hmm. In recent memory this has only happened with two games. Nobody Saves the World and Steamworld Dig 2. With Steamworld I bought it on sale and just couldn't stop playing. It was one of the only times where I beat a game in a single session.

DeVeAn

Last week I started playing Fallout 76. 70 hrs later…Although I think I reached the point of had my fun now on to the next thing.

Duchess

No Man's Sky.

I bought it because it was going cheap on PSN (£10 in 2017). Figured I'd play it for a few of weeks, and then put it aside.

2024, I'm still playing it, and have clocked up over 300 hours (which is a lot for me!).

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Funnily enough I started playing Persona 5 a few days ago, and it's exactly this.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
World of Warcraft.

Some girl I kind of liked recommended it to me and I really didn't think it was going to do that much for me but I just bought it so I can hang out with her online.

Oh boy, the game turned out to be a drug for me and that was starting to play anywhere from 10 to 12 hours a day, everyday.

Say what you want about Blizzard or whatever but man that was such a fun fucking game.

RayBoy

rl_evergreen_16x9.jpg

Resenge

I was bored one time and I was hanging about with my Bro, just screwing about on the internet. I randomly installed Jedi Knight 2 and game spy and the first server I joined was a dueling server. I had no Idea how to play and saw a group just standing about watching 2 people fight. This was completely not what I was expecting after playing games like Quake 3 arena and UT.

I Joined in a duel or 2 not knowing how to play and got my ass handed to me but the people were cool, taught me basics and that was it. That small interaction made me want to come back again and again, I ended up playing with those people for a few years. I still miss it.

That taught me that whatever the game if you can find a cool group of people you clique with, it can make the game. I have had that clique feeling a few times, mostly in MMOs but people get bored, group breaks up and the cycle repeats but that is the high in gaming I am always out looking for.

Tough to find though.

Last edited:
I was super hooked on Genshin Impact at first, then I hit the second area and dropped it after a day.
Hopefully that happens to me. I don't want to be hooked on this for too long, lmao.
Funnily enough I started playing Persona 5 a few days ago, and it's exactly this.
Is it the Royal edition? The best part of the game is on the Royal edition. You're in for a ride if you enjoy the gameplay loop!

Now that i think about it, this is also a good choice for me. So 2 f2p games for me...interesting. Maybe i dismiss them too fast overall and many are actually good.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Is it the Royal edition? The best part of the game is on the Royal edition. You're in for a ride if you enjoy the gameplay loop!

Yeah, Royal. Never touched a Persona game in my life so it's been quite the experience so far, 12 hours in which apparently might end up being about 10% :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Hunt: Showdown

I trashed MP shooter and online gaming for ages. Then during Covid I said fuck it, I need some sort of social experience. The Horror angle and Southern Gothic aesthetic made me give it a shot.

1,000+ hours later with three regular teams and a $200 gamer-ass headset with a mic later...

Absolute. Fucking. Crack.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Fallout 76 when it first came out. I don't know how this happened...but I thought the game was trash from jump and somehow i ended up being over level 100 before I stopped. I think the idea of multiplayer fallout was just too good a concept.

Another one was Green Hell. I've played my share of survival games and I've always played for like a sitting and never played again. This one is probably the best one I've ever played. It's in the same vein as The Forest. Again, had friends to play with just like Fallout 76...but the building and survival mechanics were probably some of the most realistic I've seen. The crafting system was realistic, you could get parasites that you'd have to perform topical surgery to remove and even the story wasn't half bad.

Last edited:
Yea loved Genshin and I don't really understand all the hate for it. It's free and you don't have to spend money.

My games would probably be Death Stranding. Didn't think a walking simulator could be that fun but it was. In fact some of my least favorite parts involved combat.

Sushi_Combo

You've convinced me to give Deathloop another try. I think I went in to it expecting Dishonored and got severely disappointed. Maybe I need to give it a fresh go (plus I paid digitally so I'm stuck with it lol).

For me the game was Elden Ring. I never liked souls type games. never got past the first boss in the Dark Souls copy I got for Christmas one year... but there was something captivating about Elden Ring. When the scores came out it was even harder to ignore. The game kicked my ass and then... it finally clicked. Ever since then I've been hooked. It's the only game this generation that I've come back to. I can't wait for the DLC.
I absolutely swear on deathloop, even so much to recommend them to picky friends and they told me the exact same thing. As soon as it clicks and you find your groove it's such a great time of a game.

Yeah, Royal. Never touched a Persona game in my life so it's been quite the experience so far, 12 hours in which apparently might end up being about 10% :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Something like that year. But ig you don't get tired of the gameplay loop, you'll love this.

Bond007

Most recent. Yea- Skull and Bones. I said it. Love the game

Final Fantasy XI
FFX was my first FF game. Prior i declared a hatred for RPGs to this point - so X broke the ice. I followed that up by "trying" XI on PS2. Yea that grabbed me by the balls for like 10yrs. This created an enjoyment for FF moving forward.

tower defense games.
something fun about anticipating enemy forces, building defenses to annihilate them, then watching the slaughter.

played this one a lot with the wife (couch coop)
capsule_616x353.jpg

called it "saving bebes"

enjoyed the mellow music, the overall aesthetic, etc.

Top Bottom