• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GamesBeat: Sony is pulling PS Now retail cards from U.K. retailers

skit_data

They need to allow you to at the very least Stream PS3 and PS2 games you own on disc, I don't see why I shouldn't be able to play Killzone 3 since I own the game and it's possible to play it on PS4/5.
Or hopefully they've got some sort of emulator in one of these tiers so you can play your collection.
I’d love to see that but I’d be fucked since I have a PS5 DE (unless they somehow work out a way to register which game you own). It would be kinda shitty to sell a console without a disc reader only to 1,5 year later launch a service/emulator that would require you to have a disc-based console for you to play your PS1/PS2/PS3 collection.

Maybe it’s just me being all sour grapes about it. It would be neat but I would have to find a Standard Edition PS5 instead if this were to become reality.

Last edited:

reksveks

I’d love to see that but I’d be fucked since I have a PS5 DE (unless they somehow work out a way to register which game you own). It would be kinda shitty to sell a console without a disc reader only to 1,5 year later launch a service/emulator that would require you to have a disc-based console for you to play your PS1/PS2/PS3 collection.

Maybe it’s just me being all sour grapes about it. It would be neat but I would have to find a Standard Edition PS5 instead if this were to become reality.
Good point, i didn't think about that. Might make it even more likely that they won't allow you to use your disc as a license key.

skit_data

Good point, i didn't think about that. Might make it even more likely that they won't allow you to use your disc as a license key.
I don’t know how it is with those old discs… if they have a unique serial number or something tied to that unique disc copy it could be used to register your copy but I strongly doubt they have that.

ZywyPL

Banned
You’re so horny to console war you can’t even type straight

I've corrected the grammar mistakes thx. But what console wars have to do with Ryan charging extra whenever he can? And you expect him to give anything for free... Or maybe you post was sarcastic but I just didn't get it?

I assume the new restructuring it’s to merge Sony’s “portfolio”. Video, games, music.

It doesn't make sense to offer movies, videos, and music on PS+ when the service can only be accessed if you have playstation. PS+ should be purely about games.

The movie, video, games combination should be a different service available on all devices. It should appeal to the larger mass market that Netflix, Disney, Prime, and HBO target. So the focus should be the shows and movies while the games are there for added value.

2021: subscriptions are bad for the industry. No one wants to rent games. I don't like gamepass and I hope Sony don't do an equivalent service

2022: omg the new PS now is great. Sony have done it again!

Last edited:

Thief1987

2021: subscriptions are bad for the industry. No one wants to rent games. I don't like gamepass and I hope Sony don't do an equivalent service

2022: omg the new PS now is great. Sony have done it again!
You think you are somehow original with this stupidly cringe astroturfing?

Riky

$MSFT
It would be great if the top tier gives you first party games day one, there has to be a price where this makes sense for the consumer and Sony.

Lupin25

Then we can fast forward to how this service is dead in the water because there aren’t first party games day 1, meanwhile the other service is getting two first party games a year if that

Yup.

Which is exactly why they’re merging the two subscriptions (with PS Plus also now trickling out new releases throughout the year (ala. Control: Ultimate Edition etc.) Do away with PS Now as it would be much better advertised through PS Plus.

Last edited:
IMG-20220115-195920.jpg

Took this picture today at a Fnac store in Portugal. The PSNow cards were there a week ago. Today the entire section was gone as you can see.

I'd say whatever they have to announce will happen quite soon. February maybe?

Last edited:
Bastards better do a free upgrade for Now users, I just added a couple years to my membership when I saw this thread. :messenger_beaming:
Now that you mention that...i wonder how they will do with the people that have both a PS Now and a PS Plus subscription. Probably they will give them access to a tier 2 subscription on PS Plus overall, which will include what now is PS Now? I'm curious tbh.

Three

Now that you mention that...i wonder how they will do with the people that have both a PS Now and a PS Plus subscription. Probably they will give them access to a tier 2 subscription on PS Plus overall, which will include what now is PS Now? I'm curious tbh.

I'm subbed to PS+ and I had a PS Now retail card I had bought in 2019 for £30. Only just redeemed it this year to play Last of Us 2 and Mortal Kombat 11. I'm curious to see what happens too.

P.S what happens with downloaded PS Now games? In my library they are showing up as 'purchased' and I'm still playing games that have left the service.

better late than never.

it's a good idea and will hopefully help them catch up with Microsoft. next thing will be to add way more games. they should add their exclusives to PS+/Now on day 1 as well.... maybe in another few years they'll get around to that :messenger_weary:

Last edited:

I think those with PSNow should be allowed access to the highest tier service with streaming. There are PSNow subscribers without playstation and are only streaming through PC. Unless Sony is willing to refund them.

Rayderism

Ok, so my current PS+ sub expires October of 2024. If they offer some sort of tiered version of PS+, and I buy a year of a higher tier, would it retro upgrade my current sub? It might actually encourage me to go to a higher tier if they did that. Because then I'd get like 3+ years of a higher tier for the price of one.....minus what I already paid for the current sub, of course. But still, that might actually make it worth it.

DaGwaphics

I don't know how they would handle existing PSNow subs. It seems like they would have to swap those users out to a tier that supports streaming because these users might be on PC and using that option to access the service. 🤷‍♂️

As it stands now, I wouldn't pay more than $3 or $4 a month for PSNow, but hey, I'd absolutely take a free upgrade for the time I have left. 🤭

Agent X

That's what I think. They could also consider giving longtime subscribers the highest tier to reward their loyalty, and/or lengthen their subscription to match the combined amount of time remaining on both services (PS Plus remainder plus PS Now remainder).

As some others have mentioned above, it will be interesting to see what they do for people who subscribe only to PS Now and not PS Plus. One of my friends is in that situation right now.

P.S what happens with downloaded PS Now games? In my library they are showing up as 'purchased' and I'm still playing games that have left the service.

I believe they are treated the same as downloaded PS Plus games with a lapsed subscription. The game will continue to appear in your library, but you won't be able to launch it until you renew your PS Now subscription.

anothertech

Sony already said that's not gonna happen. Their games + marketing are much too expensive for that. I could imagine a discount on the games for higher tier.
Actually, considering they offer new games at $69, it could be $49 or $59 per month for a deal like that in actuality. I might bite if it included everything.

Actually, considering they offer new games at $69, it could be $49 or $59 per month for a deal like that in actuality. I might bite if it included everything.
That's too expensive for most people. I mean you can almost buy those games for that money if you wait two weeks or so.

Just can't see a rebrand or rejig being successful. PS users by and large have been saying for the past few years on this forum that subscription services are bad for the industry and they don't like "renting" their games. If they are genuine, then whatever PS do with PS now, it'll be unsuccessful. Unless of course it was fanboyism and they'd love a proper gamepass equivalent.

I can imagine if Sony can do it right.... They could easily surpass Gamepass numbers.... Which would be hilarious after all the gamepass negativity here.

Top Bottom