• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony on PS Plus Price Increase: We Want to Make PlayStation Plus Great

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
So, playstation plus and subscription services can be great if you charge the right money for it? I'm looking forward to seeing playstation plus step up. What's it take to get some more first party stuff on there? Communicate with your customers, give us a rough time frame on when first party games can be expected to hit the service.

Last edited:

ElCasual

Just put the clasic games of the ps3 store in the service and you will make happy a lot of players. No science behind that.

coffinbirth

Well... I would... at least GT and GT2 :messenger_grinning_sweat: but my main point is about good newer games.
That motherfucker said that specifically about those games.

Last edited:
Yeah im done with subbing to any of these subscrition models, I bought a year of the extra tier when I first got a PS5 but I ended up just playing and completing games I already own. Its just not worth it for me, there are more games that I own at this point than time left in my life to even complete.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Eric Lampel, while answering this:

anigif_sub-buzz-8365-1623099664-2.gif

Damigos

The price increase is very big. Still i want to see if they plan on including day1 AAA exclusives like Spiderman, GoW etc. If they do then the price increase will be worth it

Godot25

Banned
Lol.

You are charging people same amount of money as Microsoft but you are not giving people same "benefits" for subscription. How is this exactly "great?"

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Sure. But reread what the SVP of marketing said. And then tell me its not repugnant, arrogant nonsense.
If companies are f-ing you without consent or buying you dinner first whether they have a gamer t-shirt and they serve you platitudes about gaming together and everyone winning (cough… Phil Spencer… cough…) or are business dickheads the fundamental problem stays in either case.

That's some nice bullshit talking flying out of Eric Lempel. I'm sure the board of directors/management agrees the state on their bank accounts are getting much better.

They're probably feeling some pressure from their investment clientèle.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The price increase is very big. Still i want to see if they plan on including day1 AAA exclusives like Spiderman, GoW etc. If they do then the price increase will be worth it
Day 1 releases like GamePass does would kill game sales for their exclusives over time. MS has the money to attempt a huge loss leading strategy trying to essentially destroy other’s business model with something unsustainable before raising prices once they have a de facto monopoly, the other companies in the gaming world do not.

They need to justify value some other way. Maybe you get early access to games (which you keep if you buy the game), maybe something else… I am not their business development person so it is not my job to figure it out :D.

To be reasonable, any benefits we see to PS+ as a result of the price increase will take the better part of a year or more to manifest. Things don't just magically improve because the price went up. There is plenty of reason to have doubts about PS+ becoming "great" as a result of these price hikes, but the real time to talk about the state of it will be next summer when we'll be nine months into the higher pricing and Sony will have had ample time to both unleash more first party games and, more importantly, make bigger deals with third party publishers to unleash a lot more titles onto the service. We will then have a very clear idea how much better--or not--PS+ has become since the price increase and that will be the time to either admit Sony was right...or raise our pitchforks at the them. I'm kind of looking forward to seeing how it all goes down and if we really do end up with a better PS+ or not.

Eimran

Imagine saying this in a world with the current PS Plus premium library and wanting to be taken seriously

Xtib81

'it was the 1st time we increased'. Well, yeah and what an increase lmao. I unsubscribed.
While you're at it, add a fourth tier with just online for 30€/year (which is already a scam but anyway), I don't care about your games every month.

EekTheKat

I'll settle for the removal of the 1000 objects limit that they have on Cloud Saves. Or up it significantly. How many gigabytes of saves doesn't matter when you can only have a limited number of files saved.

For those that have been around long enough, and have played enough games that have been less than careful with saves , it's fairly easy to hit that 1000 save objects mark.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
I am not paying 100$ CAD to play online on a console. you can fuck off with that. I do not want your PS+ games either. Fuck you don't even own them. PaSsS.

oh and Xbox game pass can fuck off too. I only use that when there are like 2 high profile games I want to play, so i sub for a month or so to finish them and done. instead of paying 100$ per game, ill finish the 2 games for 20$ CAD, that works for me. then buy them down the road dirt cheap on PC.

Man the whole "you don't own games" line is getting so old so fast. Do you say that every time you watch Netflix, Hulu, Disney plus, HBO max and go to a movie in.the theater?

It's fine you have your strategies to save money, but entertainment is entertainment.
Keeping in mind of course renting or subbing doesn't preclude someone from buying as well.

SJRB

Gold Member
My guy, you can't just dramatically increase the price of your service without adding anything in return and then say "we want to make it great", you doofus.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Lol.

You are charging people same amount of money as Microsoft but you are not giving people same "benefits" for subscription. How is this exactly "great?"
They are not charging the same amount though, and they are offering more benefits.
  • PS+ Premium: $160 per year.
  • Game Pass Ultimate: $204 per year.
GPU is 27.5% more expensive than PS Plus.
  • PS+ also offers more games every month,
  • Including retro games that GPU doesn't,
  • Cloud streaming your own library that GPU doesn't,
  • Bravia Core movies that GPU doesn't.
The only disadvantage of PS+ vs. GPU is that PS+ does not offer first-party day-one games. But considering the quantity and quality of Xbox games, I personally do not think it is that big of a disadvantage, but others will have a different opinion on it, of course.

But, comparatively, PS+ does offer more at a lesser price.

Godot25

Banned
They are not charging the same amount though, and they are offering more benefits.
The only disadvantage of PS+ vs. GPU is that PS+ does not offer first-party day-one games. But considering the quantity and quality of Xbox games, I personally do not think it is that big of a disadvantage, but others will have a different opinion on it, of course.

Technically you are right. Game Pass Ultimate costs 179,88€ while PS Plus Premium costs 152€ per year. I will of course ignore fact that you can get GPU for way cheaper, because same can be true for PS Plus Premium

You can shove "more games" argument up your ass, because from what I noticed, PlayStation Plus tends to add games that are/were in Game Pass currently or previously and there are only few games that were in PS Plus but they are/were not on Game Pass (The Callisto Protocol, Saints Row). So it is basically byproduct of a fact that Game Pass is much older service then PS Plus Premium/Extra.

Of course main differentiator is day one first-party games. But not only them. Let's not forget that Game Pass added day one releases like Payday 3, Cocoon, Sea of Stars, Darktide, Party Animals, currently they added not so old Dead Space remake and F1 Manager 23. Also this year there was Atomic Heart, Wo Long, Exoprimal which more then made up for price difference. Sony had...Sea of Stars.

But it's funny. Instead of demanding better, people are singing kumbaya. But that's not my problem honestly. I'm using PS Plus Extra in the way it suits me. Subscribing one in a few months to play Sony first-party games and then unsubscribing. Because Game Pass is just plain better in every way for 25€ per year more.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
I’m all for companies making money (and reinvesting) but we’re deep into a cost of living crisis and are in a recession (although the government would have you believe otherwise). Right now increasing prices on practically any service is a brave step and dare I say it, completely insensitive.

If companies don’t offer much in the way of value, then companies shouldn’t expect loyalty nor expect anyone to spend their hard earned (harder to keep) money with them.

I for one have drastically cut down my spending with these companies, and I buy far more than I ever did in sales.

Last edited:
This is an indication that even without paying through the nose for day and date titles or even launching their own games in on day one - running these services is expensive as hell and especially so if cloud is baked in.

I get a lot of value out of Extra and Premium (and when you run the numbers almost everyone does) but the competition for time divides that value down.

Last edited:
They need a 3rd party day 1 AAA title every 2 months to be worth the price hike.

Yeah that won't pay for that.

Even Microsoft aren't doing AAA games on that cadence from 3rd parties (at least worthwhile ones).

Sony want PlayStation Plus to pull its own weight and they won't be subsidising it.

ReBurn

Gold Member

Don't forget that GPU also offers access to EA Play, a library for PC gamers and game streaming to non-console devices. Whether that equates to additional value is subjective, but there's more on offer than your list mentions.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Technically you are right. Game Pass Ultimate costs 179,88€ while PS Plus Premium costs 152€ per year. I will of course ignore fact that you can get GPU for way cheaper, because same can be true for PS Plus Premium

You can shove "more games" argument up your ass, because from what I noticed, PlayStation Plus tends to add games that are/were in Game Pass currently or previously and there are only few games that were in PS Plus but they are/were not on Game Pass (The Callisto Protocol, Saints Row). So it is basically byproduct of a fact that Game Pass is much older service then PS Plus Premium/Extra.
This is simply not true. Both PS+ and Game Pass often add games that leave the other service.
Of course main differentiator is day one first-party games. But not only them. Let's not forget that Game Pass added day one releases like Payday 3, Cocoon, Sea of Stars, Darktide, Party Animals, currently they added not so old Dead Space remake and F1 Manager 23. Also this year there was Atomic Heart, Wo Long, Exoprimal which more then made up for price difference. Sony had...Sea of Stars.
Game Pass does add more day-one games. But saying "Sony had ... Sea of Stars" as if that is the only day-one game they ever added is absolutely incorrect.

Have you forgotten games like Humanity, Stray, Rogue Legacy 2, Arcadegeddon, Moving Out 2, etc. Next month, Teardown will also launch on day one on PS+ next month
But it's funny. Instead of demanding better, people are singing kumbaya. But that's not my problem honestly. I'm using PS Plus Extra in the way it suits me. Subscribing one in a few months to play Sony first-party games and then unsubscribing. Because Game Pass is just plain better in every way for 25€ per year more.
Well, that is just your opinion.

The truth is that Game Pass charges 28% more per year and offers ~40% fewer games.

Darsxx82

Don't forget that GPU also offers access to EA Play, a library for PC gamers and game streaming to non-console devices. Whether that equates to additional value is subjective, but there's more on offer than your list mentions.
Imagine believing that he doesn't know... He just adjusts to what can help his narrative🙃

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
It’s such a dick move to lock cloud saves behind their sub service. If I want to play bloodborne on ps5 i have to pay $10 + tip to get my old saves. Done with Sony after this gen.

Back it up to/from an external drive? You don't need to use the cloud at all afaik.

Great, them how about releasing the treasure trove of PS1 classics you have locked away for starters? My Premium sub is over in November, won't be renewing anytime soon, I buy all my shit anyway.

Increasing the price is understandable (to a degree), but the size of the increase, combined with offering nothing more of value, is absurd. A huge black eye for a company seemingly trying to hurt its image lately.

Arrogant Sony is seemingly back.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
They should make essential cheaper and remove any games from it..
Or just make online access free. wtf it's a disgrace to have to pay for ps+ to be able to summon in dark souls

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

Man the whole "you don't own games" line is getting so old so fast. Do you say that every time you watch Netflix, Hulu, Disney plus, HBO max and go to a movie in.the theater?

It's fine you have your strategies to save money, but entertainment is entertainment.
Keeping in mind of course renting or subbing doesn't preclude someone from buying as well.
I don't think of games same as movies. Especially when they are online based like destiny and call of duty. I don't like the idea of subbing for a year. And I own more than 1000 games on PC between steam epic and gog.

I like the idea of just installing whatever game I wanna play without having the worry of subbing to play.

When it comes to consoles ? I don't even buy online gsmes. All physical.

Yesterday I wanted to play Yakuza zero. Guesd what ? Just downloaded and started playing. Bought that game for 3$.

Maybe this will change hen gsmepass release a big game every month or at least 2 months with their huge studio library now and include gsmes like call of duty then yeah maybe.

But a game or 2 per year that considered big ? I'll just sub for that month and be done with it.

Sony will never get my money. I don't support pay to play online system ( didn't with the Xbox either ) .

Same gsme is free to play on PC . Why you charging me on consoles even though I have to to through the hassle of making an account on your psn or Xbox server just to login ? Its not like I am using Sony server to play cod. Just a ripp off practice and people are like goats.

Duchess

It’s such a dick move to lock cloud saves behind their sub service.
As a single player focused gamer I 100% agree with this. I wouldn't be entirely opposed to paying for cloud saves, but it would have to be cheap enough for most to consider it a minor expense.

Still, when Steam, GOG, and Epic have cloud saves at no extra cost, it's ridiculous that Sony, Nintendo, MS don't include it as part of the service.

Doubt it, all the subscription services I’ve used over the years have gotten worse as time went on, and the price has only increased. I can’t think of one that improved so much to justify the increase in price.

Last edited:
Top Bottom