• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameSpot: Are There Too Many Remakes?

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

There’s been a lot of remakes in 2023 like Resident Evil 4 and Dead Space with plenty more on the way, and Kurt can’t help but ask: is this a good thing?

It’s May 2023 and three of the top rated games of the year so far are remakes. Let that sink in for a moment – Resident Evil 4 remake, Dead Space remake, and Metroid Prime Remastered all garnered high review scores; three games that are recapturing, remolding, and re-envisioning experiences that are over a decade old. And that's only the beginning, as more remakes are underway like Silent Hill 2, Alone in the Dark, Max Payne 1 and 2 — that's a lot. At face value, it’s totally appropriate to raise an eyebrow: plenty of new games, new experiences have already come out this year, and yet the top three rated games of the year are remakes? That can be misconstrued as a negative thing, but that may not be the case. In fact, look a little closer, and it might be one of the only ways to really uphold a game’s legacy.

In this episode of The Kurt Locker, Kurt Indovina examines the current trend of remakes and remasters and breaks down the multi-faceted, even confusing, topic, and gives his perspective on how remakes may actually be a good thing.

Timestamps:
00:00 - Intro
00:50 - The remake: Dead Space
02:22 - The remaster: Metroid Prime
03:05 - The reimagining: Resident Evil 4
04:10 - The compelling case of GoldenEye 007
06:38 - The preservation problem
08:47 - Conclusion

The video discusses the abundance of remakes in the gaming industry and whether it’s a negative thing. The top three rated games of the year are revealed to be remakes, remasters, and reimaginings. However, the video explains that these are not just mere facelifts, but rather updates that make the games more accessible and contextualize them for today’s players. The video also touches on the confusion surrounding what constitutes a remaster, using examples such as GoldenEye to highlight the differences in approaches to preserving an experience. Overall, the video argues that these updates are not replacements for the originals, but rather additions that offer a new experience while maintaining the legacy of the original games.

Ev1L AuRoN

I don't care, it's just another segment of the marketing companies are pursuing.

I absolutely love these remakes, and for those who don't, there are a myriad of options and experiences to enjoy. Whether you're an aviation geek or a football aficionado, there's a market segment tailor-made for you.

mcjmetroid

Yes,

But I think the bigger problem is these remakes lately are turning out to be the best games of the year with dead space and Resident evil. There's been a lot of high profile original IP bombs lately with Redfall being the latest example.

Also Videogames are unusual in that unlike say song covers in music or Reboots or remakes in movies - when videogames get remastered or remade 9 times out of 10 they're better than the original version due to technological advances also a less reliance on real life actors and less of a focus needed on story ( for movies) and videogames are less tied to pop culture and trends (for music)

So I say keep the remakes coming until companies get their shit together with original IPS.

Also videogames are still in a much much much better place than mainstream movies and certainly the music industry.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I don't mind remakes. Newer generations of gamers being able to play older classics is a good thing. Just as long as the remake is done well.

Robb

Gold Member
Probably, although if the game is old I don’t think it’s much of an issue. There’s so much they can do with the games nowadays compared to 10-15 years ago both in terms of visuals and QoL.

Last edited:
On one hand there are too many remakes, and I’d be fine with companies just doing relatively cheaper (but still well done) remasters, and saving their budgets for new experiences. Like Dead Space didn’t need a remake, and a remastered trilogy with some QOL changes (like Mass Effect) would’ve been nice.

On the other hand the only new stuff we’re getting is GAAS buggy garbage like Redfall, or games like Jedi Survivor that are solid, but busted on a performance level. This problem seems to be a more western game thing, which is partially why pretty much any “day one” game purchase I’ve made in the past several years has mostly been a From or Capcom game. But even Japanese games have issues at launch, just not to the degree of western ones for the most part.

The industry is in a sorry state when RE4 remake is the best game of the year so far, and even that had a bunch of technical (but not game breaking) issues at launch.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
My mantra is I don't give a fuck what changes you make to Remakes provided you give me the opportunity to play the original on the same device. REmake 2 is excellent but I wish they released Resident Evil 2 [PS1 version] also.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
The remakes that have come out, for the most part, have been very enjoyable games. I find it weird because it’s like telling them to stop making Silent Hill 2 look amazing with modern day graphics or stop reminding how cool Dead Space is. I’m not funding these games and I’ve enjoyed what they’ve made so far. I also get classic games with Quality of Life improvements that let me relive their world without sacrificing my time. Let the preservationist do their thing. We all know what that is, right? It’s the retro video game market hiking up prices. I like having these games because I’ve either enjoyed the game in the past or I don’t want to pay someone a very high dollar amount to own the game on its legacy format. Video Games come and go. A game can come out, people play it for a couple days, and if it’s not amazing it’ll just get forgotten about. I would rather know what I’m theoretically spending my money on than buy something and it doesn’t live up to my own personal standards. Id rather own the $70 remake.

I don’t see it as being a bad thing. Square has FF7, 16, and the Pixel Remasters. They’ve got a remake, a brand new title, and their classic collection. Why advocate that they need to stop making a possible FF9 Remake to focus on making a bunch of new stuff that you’ll forget about because it was a bland experience.

Gorgon

I'm all for remakes & remasters of old games, especially those that came two (console) generations ago or more. E.g., I had more fun playing the Mass Effect 1 remaster (I played the original game when it came out on PC back then) than most shit in the last 3 or 4 years. It also gives you the opportunity to enjoy a classic with quality-of-life improvements and a new face lift if you didn't have the chance to play the original. And it's also a known quantity for publishers/developers, with reduced risks, and that sales sucess trickles down to generation of new games/IPs too. Everybody wins.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Remakes qualifying for game of the year awards is by far crazy but who care if games get remade.

Elitro

Are There Too Many Remakes?​

Yes. Personally the only remakes i play are games i never played before, so i can't even understand why people like to replay the same game with just better graphics and some minor QoL updates.

saintjules

At one point I would think of certain remakes as tools to revive certain franchises and if it brought in a large fanbase, then the franchise could continue with new entries.

For instance reviving Legend of Dragoon via a remake and then if it did great in sales, continue on with a sequel or something.

ReBurn

Gold Member
There are too many for me. They're low risk and people seem to want them, so I can see why companies are doing them.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
There are absolutely too many remakes and remasters. It's getting ridiculous. It's a shameful place to be in as an industry and shouldn't be accepted by anyone.

Now excuse me, I have to go continue my playthrough of Metroid Prime Remastered.

GHound

To avoid simply posting a single word I've written all this as a sort of preamble so that I can now end on the word "yes."

Same thing movies went through in the 2010s. A confluence of creative bankruptcy + games have become so focus tested, expensive, and long to make that for someone running a business endless remakes are a no brainer. It's no coincidence we're seeing this many remakes as gaming hits its zenith of risk aversion, development costs, and development time. I liked demon souls a lot, never got the play the ps3 version. But dead space, RE4, last of us, Metroid, final fantasy, Witcher 3, rumored MGS3. It's becoming ridiculous. But I understand it.

- See already proven concept the masses like and has already sold millions
- Level design, core gameplay, writing, story, world, structure already done for you, saving a fuck ton of dev time
- touch up assets a bit to bring it to a PS4 quality, maybe tweak anything like if a female NPC had big tits or a nice ass just edit that. Or any perceived offensive language like "retard" or something will likely go.
- way cheaper to make than a whole new game
- release it to critical acclaim and profit

Last edited:

JakeWolf

No, the new games suck anyway. I'll take another Resident Evil Remake over some garbage new IP like Redfall, Forspoken, Anthem etc.

There're no talent left in the AAA gaming industry, stick to remaking actual good games and stop thinking about your crappy next-gen projects.
Everyone's asking ''Where's innovation'' meanwhile I would rather have something old school & formulaic but actually well designed like Wither 3 & Elden Ring etc.

Last edited:
No, the new games suck anyway. I'll take another Resident Evil Remake over some garbage new IP like Redfall, Forspoken, Anthem etc.

There're no talent left in the AAA gaming industry, stick to remaking actual good games and stop thinking about your crappy next-gen projects.
Everyone's asking ''Where's innovation'' meanwhile I would rather have something old school & formulaic but actually well designed like Wither 3 & Elden Ring etc.
Theres a little. A sliver. Its hyper concentrated in rockstar games and Sony first party studios though.

In fact, depending on how Starfield turns out, I may venture to say its now exclusively in rockstar and playstation studios.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
A remake for the most part is easy money to a well defined audience. You want to see new stuff stop buying the Last of US for the 4th time, same with Skyrim.

R6Rider

Gold Member
the wolf of wall street idgaf GIF

Cashon

Banned
I love remakes, provided that they're good. Going all the way back to Super Mario All-Stars (arguably a remaster).

Resident Evil 4 (2005) is nearly unplayable for me today. I just finished the remake on Monday night and think it's a huge improvement over the original. I'm very glad they went for it.

I also beat the Dead Space remake this year, and though the gameplay wasn't changed a ton (because it was already a very, very well-made game), the new additions absolutely improved on the original. It's the new definitive way to play Dead Space, and I hope they remake the 2nd.

I think the bigger question is not, "Are there too many remakes," but rather, "Why aren't AAA games as good, unique, and interesting as they were 15 years ago?"

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs

The video discusses the abundance of remakes in the gaming industry and whether it’s a negative thing. The top three rated games of the year are revealed to be remakes, remasters, and reimaginings. However, the video explains that these are not just mere facelifts, but rather updates that make the games more accessible and contextualize them for today’s players. The video also touches on the confusion surrounding what constitutes a remaster, using examples such as GoldenEye to highlight the differences in approaches to preserving an experience. Overall, the video argues that these updates are not replacements for the originals, but rather additions that offer a new experience while maintaining the legacy of the original games.

Advance Wars 1&2 also GrimGrimoire Once More also recently came out

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
The reason we get so many remakes is primarily a bi product of ballooning game costs. Its probably quicker, and safer to remake a game than it is a new one
....and most sell well. It's a huge profit.
Eventually you need new games though, to even have the ability to remake them 5 years from now.

Overall the market will decide this. I didn't buy RDR2, or TLOU2, the GTA sequels past 3. This isn't because they're not good games, I just didn't feel they were necessary to my life. Other people did, so they made more of them. The same applies to remakes and remasters.

As far as remakes and remasters explicitly, I think it's kind of hilarious that TLOU was redone in whatever shape or form, but simultaneously I couldn't tell you anything detailed about that game at this point.

I did buy the Metroid Prime Remaster, and I really loved it for the most part, and it was exciting to play it again after decades.

I was hoping that games which were great in their day but went ignored by the market (for any number of reasons), or games that were great at the time but could actually significantly benefit from a facelift, would be the ones getting the remakes. Instead it's mainly games that already sold amazingly well and got their recognition back when they came out, or weren't that graphically outdated but still getting a remake for some reason ($$$).

Where are the remakes for Panzer Dragoon Saga, Xenogears, Zone of the Enders, Ridge Racer Type 4 (would love to play this with modern visuals @ 60 FPS), Ristar, Fear Effect, Shining Force 3, Illusion of Gaia, etc.? RE4 is a great game, but did it really "need" a remake? Does MGS3 honestly "need" a remake? Dead Space? No, but we know they want to do it because the $$$ is there to play off the nostalgia.

It is what it is though; obviously there are enough gamers who want them, so as long as that sustains we'll keep seeing remakes for the most popular of retro games (or barely retro in some cases), and very little if any for the great retro games which went under the radar when they came out and deserve a bigger audience.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Removing the existence of the Remakes doesn't make the newer games better.
It's a dumb argument, the only bad thing about them is it shows how bad newer games are in comparison stand out more.
So instead of asking Devs to stop remaking games and only do new shit, you should be telling them to keep remaking games and don't release their new shit until it's up to par.

Yoboman

You gotta realise there's a whole segment of the market who just don't touch old games. They haven't played games from 2005. They consider the classic era of gaming to be when Fortnite took off

As long as they are good then I don't have a problem with remakes. The RE4 Remake manages to invoke nostalgia while feeling like a new game to some degree. Best of both worlds. What I don't want is a sea of shoddy remakes in replace of new games

Top Bottom