• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Game Awards has considered adding Best Remake and Best Supporting Actor awards

Draugoth

Gold Member
resident-evil-4-c.jpg

The Game Awards host and producer Geoff Keighley says he’s been considering other awards to add to the show, including Best Remake and Best Supporting Actor.

During a recent Twitch Q&A, Keighley was asked if there were any plans for new award categories at The Game Awards.

Keighley replied that while there are no new categories this year, the idea of adding new categories is regularly discussed.

“Nothing new this year,” he said. “I’ve seen people online saying ‘why don’t you have a Best DLC category’, which is kind of like the Ongoing Game category.

“Typically that’s been live service games but this year Cyberpunk 2077 is nominated, and when people ask why it’s nominated – well, because they improved the base game in a big way with version 2.0 and Phantom Liberty. So that’s sort of in that category.

“The other thing people always ask is why don’t we have a Best Remake or Remaster category. We’ve talked about it. I think the question is, are there five amazing remakes every year?

“Some years there are – there were some amazing ones this year, obviously Resident Evil 4 is nominated for Game of the Year. Dead Space, a bunch of other good ones that came out this year. And the question also then is would those remakes not be eligible for Game of the Year?

“So yeah, nothing new this year category-wise but it’s definitely something that we talk about every year, and try to evaluate the best way to go about that.”

xrnzaaas

I don't have anything against remakes, but I don't think every year will have at least 5 worthy of being nominated. This year is kind of an exception with games like Dead Space, RE4 or System Shock receiving good remakes.

Dazraell

They really should consider one for Best DLC / Expansions, especially for this year as we had some really good ones - Phantom Liberty, Separate Ways, Future Redeemed, Burning Shores, etc

Regginator

Not sure what to think of applauding remakes. Once every blue moon a remake hits all the right marks (like this year's Dead Space and RE4), but what separates a remake from a remaster? Is Metroid Prime Remastered (not regarding its name) a remake or remaster? It's not from the grounds up, but it has significantly more work done than your average remaster. It's a pretty grey area that I can see big publishers taking advantage of.

Let's focus on new things. Like best supporting actor, a shame that didn't make the cut.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Great, create a whole new category so RE4 can win it. Why? Only seems worth doing if there's actually a competition in the first place. Dead Space remake was great but it doesn't stand any sort of chance against a successful reinvention of RE4.

T4keD0wN

They have some weird categories.
They have a best action/adventure and best action categories instead of having an action and also an adventure categories. I dont get how they came up with this.

They dont even have a category for shooters and theres hundreds of shooters each year, why do people ask him about adding a category for remakes when not every year even has a remake, let alone five of them?

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

Stupid category in my opinion. If a remake or reimagining of an old game is recognised for its quality then it shouldn't be separated. There are plenty of sequels for example that put in far less effort (reusing assets/gameplay/models/environments etc) than a lot of the remade games do, which are usually built from the ground up for new hardware.

Last edited:

timothet

I feel like there is not enough remade games to currently warrant separate category for them. Making half-assed remake would already put it as "top" contender for the award considering that we only get a handful of them every year. Maybe in the future, but right now it feels too early for that.

Similar how we do not have "best game expansion" category as we do not get much of them.

So yeah, I agree with Keighley here. There is not enough quality contenders for those categories to warrant them. Currently.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Nah fuck that. Most remakes are lazy. The good ones will rise to the top like Resident Evil 4, RE2 and FF7 did and get themselves nominated. The mediocre ones like TLOU1 and metroid Prime with just some texture enhancements dont deserve to be rewarded with their own category.

if you are not changing the level layout, adding new boss fights, and retelling the story, you are not a remake, you are a glorified remaster.

Best supporting actor/actress is fine. One award for all actors in a year is nuts. Movies have 4 of them.

Last edited:

El Muerto

They should. Remakes shouldnt compete with regular games. If you lost the first GOTY award the first time, then you're not allowed to compete again with the same entry, make a new game.

Robb

Gold Member
I think maybe they should start with trying to understand/define the categories they already have before adding more.

They’ve already nominated a non-indie game for an indie category and a ”e-sports coach” who wasn’t even active for the ”e-sports coach” category etc.

It’s pretty clear they don’t have a clue what they’re even doing.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I'd be fine a remake category if it was a year where enough remakes released for it to make sense.

Perrott

Gold Member
They have a best action/adventure and best action categories instead of having an action and also an adventure categories. I dont get how they came up with this.
Because action/adventure (Uncharted, The Last Of Us, God of War, Red Dead...) is a dramatically different genre than action (Devil May Cry, Doom, Titanfall, Armored Core...) or adventure (Detroit, Until Dawn, Monkey Island, Gone Home...).

MiguelItUp

Definitely makes more sense than some of the categories that are currently present, especially the e-sports related ones as they're honestly pretty niche. I wouldn't be surprised if majority of the voters have no clue who's who.

LakeOf9

Won’t add awards for best mechanics or level design, but sure, let’s add ones for best supporting actor, why not

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
RE4 remake deserves to be in the game of the year discussion regardless of whether its a remake or not. As does Dead Space, but to a lesser extent.

Would be a pointless category, IMO.

Last edited:

Lupin25

There’s already too many categories, so it just prolongs the show.

I guess, adding “Best Remake” is fine, considering there’s SO many these days

Stop this nonsense. Remakes are not an innovation nor a new genre despite the industry business folks wanting to pretend they are.

Last edited:

Dynasty8

Yeah, get rid of best esports team and best "content creator" awards. Focus should be on games and the development/creation behind it.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Is Metroid Prime Remastered (not regarding its name) a remake or remaster? It's not from the grounds up, but it has significantly more work done than your average remaster. It's a pretty grey area that I can see big publishers taking advantage of.
Remake, but also still not in the same tier of remake as something like RE4.

One overhauls a game's graphics. The other does that and far more.

The hate on remakes is hilarious.

Not everyone had the opportunity to play all of these games in the past. Gaming is much larger now than when a lot of these games came out.

In some cases, the remakes go on to sell more the original games, especially if they were exclusive to one platform before.

You don't have to buy a game if you're not interested

Blindy

I am stunned they don't have a best male & female voice actor award, I thought they had it in the past? Did they lump this into 1 award to avoid controversy from gender identification?

Poplin

maybe add awards that celebreate the actual devs?

best combat design
best level design
best UI/UX
Best lighting
Technical award for innovation rendering
Technical award for innovation in streaming/loading

and cut all the esports/influencer nonsense.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Is this to give those "exemplary original IP's" a chance

Top Bottom