• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameSpot: Are There Too Many Remakes?

No, there isn't. There needs to be more. Some of the old games had original stories which can only be made even more immursive with better graphics.
Give me some Dino Crisis, Killzone 2 and 3, Resistance, Black, Loaded, reloaded, Daytona, shit, even give me a remake of Carrier.

Susurrus

FF9, FF10 and Persona 3 Remake please.

I would exchange a nut if it got me a good FF11 offline singleplayer remake. Am excellent game with a fantastic story (including expansions) I'd love to replay through but I don't have time for MMOs anymore.

LRKD

Real tired of seeing people acting like anything made before 2018 is unplayable. I'd rather see anything else before a remake 99% of the time, a straight port, a reboot, a sequel, literally anything else. It's just a waste of time to remake already playable games. There are a few truly broken, or unplayable games, that would greatly benefit from remakes, but they are few and far between, and I don't think they've ever been done, and I doubt they'll be done either.

sachos

As long as they are as good as THPS1+2, FF7R, RE2, RE4, SotC, DeS keep them coming!
A significant amount of time between original and remake or a significant upgrade in tech (like DeS) is prefered of course, lets not get too crazy either.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Some are good some are bad. Just like any other type of release.

There’s probably at least one remake everybody on the site secretly or openly really wants.

I’d LOVE for a Parasite Eve remake or legacy of kain or mgs1…

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
After finishing XC3 Future Redeemed….we need remake of Xenosaga series…..ASAP!

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Whether you hate remakes, love them, or don’t care either way, I think we can agree they are most likely here to stay. Remakes have become increasingly popular in recent years, giving gamers a chance to relive their favorite games with updated graphics, improved gameplay mechanics, and even new content. Unfortunately not every game can get a remake, but today I wanted to make a video talking about a few that I think definitely deserve one, especially for survival horror fans.

The video presents a list of survival horror games that deserve remakes. The games include Resident Evil Code Veronica, Clock Tower, Parasite Eve, Dino Crisis, and Silent Hill. The video discusses the potential improvements each game could receive with a remake, including updated graphics, improved gameplay, and expanded storylines. The reasons for each game’s inclusion on the list vary, but overall, the video highlights the potential for these classic horror games to be revitalized for a new generation of players.

killatopak

I think I've said it before on another similar thread.

Remakes of games I like : Too few
Remakes of game I don't care about: Too many

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

As I've covered games here on YouTube for the past decade, I have seen a lot of people fail to grasp the concept of the small minutia that separates a remake from a remaster and both of those to a reboot. So I decided to try and figure out exactly what each of those words mean and how I could explain that meaning to others. So for the next hour or so let's dive into this oddly deep subject. Hope you're in the mood to look at a bunch of footage of game ranging from Silent Hill to Kirby. Because that's exactly what you're about to do.

00:00 - Intro
03:12 - Why am I doing this?
05:15 - What is a Port
25:18 - What is a Remaster
42:55 - What is a Remake
53:14 - What is a Reboot / Reimagining
59:05 - The Outliers
01:02:41 - End

This continues to be a weird criticism to me.
Look if all we were getting were remakes then I totally get it but that's not what's happening.

Take Capcom for example -

We've gotten RE7, RE8, and RE9 is in development and in-between we got Remakes. Having a remake in-between a new game is a great way to mix things up constantly.

Square Enix is tackling it the same way as Capcom and are releasing both new and remade titles.

Why complain about a good thing?

Last edited:

YuLY

Resident Evil 2 and 4 changed my opinion on this. Remakes are very welcomed. There are so many classics stuck with antique graphics and control schemes, that are hard to get into if you dont have nostalgia for it. Modernizing through a remake but keeping the story and atmosphere mostly the same is perfect.

Top Bottom