• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamespot - Star Wars Outlaws Feels Mediocre With A Protagonist Who's Way Too Strong 💪 (Mary Sue Alert)

plip.plop

Hopefully, they add the cast from The Acolyte as playable characters.
Jedi Osha GIF by Star Wars

Why would I be intimidated? I've been training for 23 years so I appreciate physical fitness. That said, I stand by what I said. The laziest way to make a strong female character is to roid her up and make her speak in a gruff voice or yell.

So you're saying, ud prefer a skinny woman easily dispatching strong men instead of a muscular woman?

StereoVsn

feels fairly mediocre and unmemorable. What I played feels like an amalgamation of different features and mechanics borrowed from other games that do those things better”

Ahh, a Ubisoft joint for a Modern Audience! Modern Star Wars 💩 + Ubisoft = Match Made in Heaven! 😂

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
This game looked utterly mediocre from the very start.

The shiny graphics wowed a lot of people but if you look past that pretty much everything is the same boring trite you've seen a thousand times before.

Also doesn't help that Star Wars as a franchise is in a dismal place right now so people approach new content with caution instead of interest or hype.

Majormaxxx

Nah, its just kinda hilarious of the double standards that gaf keeps showing or the stupidity more so, they complain about Abby because muscles and stuff but when a skinny woman does what Abby did, it's fine, no issues, UNLESS SHES UGLY then its the end of the world. This is why normal ppl avoid coming here on these forums.
Then stop coming here, normal person.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
Nah, its just kinda hilarious of the double standards that gaf keeps showing or the stupidity more so, they complain about Abby because muscles and stuff but when a skinny woman does what Abby did, it's fine, no issues, UNLESS SHES UGLY then its the end of the world. This is why normal ppl avoid coming here on these forums.
This 200x

I don't know if anyone exist in real life that GaF would be ok with being modeled in a video game based on something they do in real life. I mean, Abby is literally modeled from a person in real life that does cross fit and folks was like "ok, but can a girl really get dem gains in real life doe"? lol

They'll turn anything into a "it must be a simulation" or "historical accuracy" as some smokescreen to hate on something.

We can have the film Monster etc, no issues.

3088.jpg

The moment we make a Monster video game "derrr how come her BOOBS IS NOT BIG and she is UGLYfied on purpose?"

Its like gamers have this low iq of thinking of any of this and try to force this weird 1 size fits all, they must all be pretty etc

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Oh no, woke gamespot has turned against woke Ubisoft. Maybe journalists are finally copping on? Or they didn't get the expected backhander from Ubisoft?

Either way, gsme will be woke thrash as evident from the ugly protagonist, so who cares?
What is with you wokies? The complaints are about boring gameplay but you have to cry woke twice. How many times do you cry woke in a typical day?

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
God damn... I am not nor never will watch the show, but every single time I see a clip or snippet from this show it's the most mediocre shit I've ever seen.
In my mind Legends/EU is canon and everything else is not. Abeloth would wipe the floor with everything this Acolyte mythos wants to bring.

Lunarorbit Lunarorbit Kreia: "I HATE the Force".

Last edited:

Majormaxxx

This 200x

I don't know if anyone exist in real life that GaF would be ok with being modeled in a video game based on something they do in real life. I mean, Abby is literally modeled from a person in real life that does cross fit and folks was like "ok, but can a girl really get dem gains in real life doe"? lol

They'll turn anything into a "it must be a simulation" or "historical accuracy" as some smokescreen to hate on something.

3088.jpg

The moment we make a Monster video game "derrr how come her BOOBS IS NOT BIG and she is UGLYfied on purpose?"

Its like gamers have this low iq of thinking of any of this and try to force this weird 1 size fits all, they must all be pretty etc
This level of female and male crossfitters are roided up. It's not a secret.

As for attractive people in movies - why did Theron lose the 30lbs afterwards and plays a fit and healthy female lead in all her other movies?

Why do people in gaming insist that this media has to be the one where the attractiveness of the leads doesn't matter.

Since the beginning of cinema the leads have been actors that look attractive.

Angry_Megalodon

Gold Member
You don't need to look like Bane to become a top soldier. Nobody has any problem with Sarah Connor's transition from a soft waitress in Terminator to a seasoned merc in Terminator 2. It's one of the physically and mentally best evolutions I have seen in a character. She beats the crap out of strong guys in the asylum with BELIEVABLE combat skills. That's peak writing.

Now, let's compare.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
The writing in X Wing Alliance or Zahn's books wipes the floor with modern star wars TV writing.
I tend to go back to older books. I really enjoyed the Darth Bane trilogy years ago. Or just go back to Kotor. Really sad what Star Wars has become. Think the only recent good Star Wars stuff was very early Mandalorian and anything to do with Shin Hati since the less is more really shines.

Ancient Sith Empire is superior to anything the media now puts out. Nothing compares to Marka Ragnos, Ajunta Pall, Tulak Hord, Bane.

Despite SWTOR's shortcomings with the treatment of Kotor 2's protagonist I did like Valkorion.

Majormaxxx

I tend to go back to older books. I really enjoyed the Darth Bane trilogy years ago. Or just go back to Kotor. Really sad what Star Wars has become. Think the only recent good Star Wars stuff was very early Mandalorian and anything to do with Shin Hati since the less is more really shines.

Ancient Sith Empire is superior to anything the media now puts out. Nothing compares to Marka Ragnos, Ajunta Pall, Tulak Hord, Bane.

Despite SWTOR's shortcomings with the treatment of Kotor 2's protagonist I did like Valkorion.
Life's short, we have a lot of old games to play or replay and a lot of real life goals and hobbies. So I'm not mad. Slightly disappointed though. And initially, very surprised because they are running star wars into the ground...

Everyone loves a hot woman, there is no denying it. All they need to fix with Outlaws are the stealth takedowns, she needs to either knock the shit out of them with the gun butt or have a stun baton or something similar in her inventory. Bitch slapping a helmet wearing stormtrooper to death is where I draw the line. If she was more muscular like Abby i'd be ok with it. I dont think I've played games with a hot chick slapping men to death, hell even the modern Tomb Raider uses melee weapons and guns. El from TLOU2 is skinny af but she has a freaking knife that stabs them in the neck.

EDMIX

This level of female and male crossfitters are roided up. It's not a secret.
I don't disagree, this is true, but this can also be said for Abby's character, so a moot point. It means that exist in real life, thus can exist in the game.
why did Theron lose the 30lbs afterwards and plays a fit and healthy female lead in all
Ok, but we are not talking about "other films", the film Monster is what I posted....

The film fucking exist man, its not unusual to have people morph into a character and the aim isn't for them to be attractive or something, that is the point that is being made.

This is an excepted idea not only in film, but in shows or really any medium tbh because if it fits the character, then it makes sense.
Why do people in gaming insist that this media has to be the one where the attractiveness of the leads doesn't matter.
Yea, I never said that, but its a medium that such a thing can alter to fit the film or show. Every film or show's aim isn't to get you an erection, how come that can't be understood with games?
And? We have leds that are ugly as fuck too, you telling me you beat off to Steve Buscemi? That is attractive to you?

Be like "the leads have been actors that look attractive"

steve-buscemi-204410-1-402.jpg

lol

My point is simply that if you can understand the purpose of how someone looks can be altered to fit a film, you can fucking get that about a game. What I'm stating isn't that wild man. Out here doing steve buscemi things lol

EDMIX

It's disappointing but not unexpected. It's been happening to several popular franchises.
maybe, maybe not.

I don't care enough of about Star Wars to say much lol

I enjoy the originals, but shit I also liked Star Wars Rogue 1 better then the whole series prior. So...I don't really know tbh, the people I know who watch those Star Wars shows on Disney love em and they seem to be doing just fine with the IP in that regard in terms of viewership, ticket sales etc.

Like I said, I'm not a big massive Star Wars fan (I don't even have it in my top 10 favorite Scifi films btw) , but I can't deny its success currently.

Weird how a """""""journalist""""""" wouldn't ask about the difficulty settings

Also, every game doesn't need to be as difficult and convoluted as Elden Ring. I'm almost 40 and am lucky to have an hour a night to play my PS Portal in my cuck shed. Sometimes I just want a leisurely romp through an old school Star Wars universe, playing as a qt3.14 outlaw babe who kills aliens and doesn't afraid of anything

I was really digging it until I saw gameplay sections like this. Popular media has created this absurd idea that a girl can curbstomp a man twice her size and strength with just training and technique - and maybe, possible!

But some random outlaw chick bodying trained soldiers 11 years after TLOU Joel had to use Old-Man-Strength to straight-up strangle dudes?

Yeah, no. Breaks the illusion. Shame, as the rest of the game looks pretty great to me.
What’s going on with all this anti-woke nonsense whinging?

If you’re going moan about a video game character exemplifying the same power fantasy mechanical trope all video games have exemplified since the dawn of gaming then you’ve clearly lost the plot and disappeared up your own asshole of anti-woke sentiment.

You do know that Nathan Drake fucking steamrolled armies of trained paramilitary soldiers, as an average everyman with zero combat, shooting or tactical training?

It’s more jarring because she’s a woman?

No, Lara Croft destroyed the same, no to mention trouncing armies of other worldly creatures/monsters/dinosaurs too.

It’s simply more jarring to you because of this silly cognitive bias you’re all desperately swept up into.

I’m tired of woke bullshit just as much as the next guy but fuck me pick a sensible argument hill to die on…

Last edited:
You do know that Nathan Drake fucking steamrolled armies of trained paramilitary soldiers, as an average everyman with zero combat, shooting or tactical training?

Having a gun/weapon changes everything you said my guy. Women can certainly kill any man, no one has an issue with that, but SHE SLAPS A STORMTROOPER WITH HELMET ON UNCONCIOUSLY. Show me one normal man who slaps an enemy through his fucking armor to death or knocks him out.

ByWatterson

Having a gun/weapon changes everything you said my guy. Women can certainly kill any man, no one has an issue with that, but SHE SLAPS A STORMTROOPER WITH HELMET ON UNCONCIOUSLY. Show me one normal man who slaps an enemy through his fucking armor to death or knocks him out.

AND in Uncharted, Drake's inability to fistfight a guy is typically denoted by the opponent's size and *armor*.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Kay Vess isn't Bloodrayne or a Ninja Gaiden Waifu maybe that's the issue? Knocks people out with an uppercut and just has a lack of impact? Especially where Smugglers rely on Blasters and Tech to get out of scuffles? And usually against Armored Shock Troops?

End of the day it's just another Ubisoft game and their gameplay loop is generally very bland.

As far as I know there is nothing special about Kay Vess that would allow her to take on some of the enemy types that will be in the game as opposed to Half-Vampires, Ninjas, or Jedi/Sith.

Han Solo and Dash Rendar have never feasibly attempted to fistfight a armored Stormtrooper.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Kay Vess isn't Bloodrayne or a Ninja Gaiden Waifu maybe that's the issue? Knocks people out with an uppercut and just has a lack of impact? Especially where Smugglers rely on Blasters and Tech to get out of scuffles? And usually against Armored Shock Troops?

End of the day it's just another Ubisoft game and their gameplay loop is generally very bland.

As far as I know there is nothing special about Kay Vess that would allow her to take on some of the enemy types that will be in the game as opposed to Half-Vampires, Ninjas, or Jedi/Sith.

Han Solo and Dash Rendar have never feasibly attempted to fistfight a armored Stormtrooper.

I don’t think Katarn has either

Bring back Kyle Katarn for fucks sake

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I loved JK2 and JKA, I played their mp'ers for so many years, hell we even had ESL championships. Crazy that neither of these games have been surpassed in light saber combat. I guess Fallen Order/Jedi Survivor come close.
Don't think so when it comes to melee combat it's just Outcast/Academy and Blade of Darkness.

Much of the combat in FO/JS has you commit to animation and has a much more limited physics engine.

Most modern games do not interact with environment or have gratuitous dismemberment.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
yea ok....this is also action based video game based on a IP known for those types of wild concepts. So....yea, blasting thru hordes of stormtroopers....sorta like the fucking actual film series its based off of.

Seems the author thinks differently. Again:

"Aside from simply feeling dull to play, this actively gets in the way of Kay's characterization as a scrappy scoundrel and smuggler. If anything, playing as Kay should feel more like how Han Solo accomplished problems in the original Star Wars trilogy--you take your shot when you can but you're far better off running away when the blaster bolts start flying.

As one final addendum, what I played at Summer Game Fest did not look anything at all like what was shown off during Ubisoft Forward--that gameplay seems way more exciting and appropriate for a Star Wars game about a smuggler struggling to survive during the height of the Galactic Empire. That gameplay showcase dives into how Kay can use her scrappiness to learn new skills that will aid her in a pinch while still highlighting her shortcomings as an easily overwhelmed flesh-and-blood human who is better off fleeing from a dangerous situation than sticking around."

Feels like a leap to go from "smuggler" to "one-woman army capable of mowing down legions of elite soldiers." Like the article describes, why would she even bother sneaking around, using subterfuge tactics, etc etc if she can just murder every obstacle in her way without breaking a sweat?

Lunarorbit

In my mind Legends/EU is canon and everything else is not. Abeloth would wipe the floor with everything this Acolyte mythos wants to bring.

Lunarorbit Lunarorbit Kreia: "I HATE the Force".
I had to look up that character. I played half of the first knights of the republic on an iPad 😳.

I might have to finally watch Andor cause everyone had a raging boner for it 2 years ago. Honestly I wish Timothy olyphant had told Boba felt to fuck off and kept the armor. That's a show I'd watch.

diffusionx

Gold Member
You don't need to look like Bane to become a top soldier. Nobody has any problem with Sarah Connor's transition from a soft waitress in Terminator to a seasoned merc in Terminator 2. It's one of the physically and mentally best evolutions I have seen in a character. She beats the crap out of strong guys in the asylum with BELIEVABLE combat skills. That's peak writing.

Now, let's compare.
Look, I love T2, but no, it’s not believable.

basically any fiction where a woman is beating up guys who have six inches and 50 pounds on her is totally ridiculous. Guys can’t really beat up guys that have inches and weight on them, it’s why combat sports have weight classes. And guys have much more muscle than women at equivalent weights.

Last edited:

RagnarokIV

Battlebus imprisoning me \m/ >.< \m/
I loved JK2 and JKA, I played their mp'ers for so many years, hell we even had ESL championships. Crazy that neither of these games have been surpassed in light saber combat. I guess Fallen Order/Jedi Survivor come close.
FO and JS are nowhere near Raven's Jedi Knight games. The respawn games are just another where the lightsaber is a glowing baseball bat to beatdown enemies.

simpatico

I will bet the deed to my house that there were conversations at Naughty Dog about Abby being ambiguously trans.

Alebrije

Becuase Outlwas is just a Breakpoint with Star Wars skin. The same way Avatar is a Far Cry Game.

UBI is basically doing circles on the same gameplay mechanics , and that alone could not be Bad, the Main problem is that they not improve them. By example we have Souls games , they play the same core mechanics but each Game complements it with unique technics( weapons, armors,.movements) SO the games feel different. Even Elden Ring DLC feels different vs the core.game. UBI instead does nothing , if You play with Sniper rifles on Far Cry, they feel the same no matter the Game, is the same Sniper just with different skin.

This Game without the SW label would sell less surely.

Alebrije

This 200x

3088.jpg

Off topic , but Monster is one scenario of how Ellie from TLOU could end. and if.done good could be good.

Soooooooo what Gamespot is saying is it's a Ubisoft game. Is anyone surprised by this? If I'm surprised by anything, it's the candor of this preview. Normally previews consistent of blowing the games and their creators, in order to stay on the publisher's good side and keep getting preview/review copies and invites to big events.

Top Bottom