• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming company with over 40 years in the industry send DMCA notice to Steam [RANT]

Real title: Pirating enabling community tries to put its software on legitimate gaming storefront.

im coming after everyone

132 and 44

One hundred and thirty-two years ago, Nintendo was founded, and forty-four years ago, they entered the gaming industry.

It seems that every generation of Welfare PC gamers, gamers who can't afford new games, Born in 3D gamers, gamers who were born after 1995 who think games are easy to make legacy games are as free as the app on their smartphones, and the Faux-Preservation gamers, who Homebrew and blatantly pirate Nintendo games for their selective justifications. all fathom think that Nintendo's longevity in the industry that they help rendered is not due to the unwavering protection of their own IPs.

Reacting to a similar thread: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/dolphin-on-steam-indefinitely-postponed-due-to-nintendo-dmca.1657081/

The response here to Nintendo taking action is always the same:

"Nintendo is so big; why worry about something as small as emulation" or my favorite "fuck Nintendo"

Unlike fake cartridges in the 80s, and cheap China knockoff hardware of the 90s, it is true; emulation is a small effect on their cash flow. But is.

Im putting my Nintendo fanboy hat on to say the energy you have in pirating Nintendo games for illegitimate reasons like "Nintendo hardware is underpowered" or "Nintendo doesn't give consumers access to their old game, should be on that reason themselves.

I, myself, and other legitimate gamers cannot demand Nintendo to implement those reasons if gamers justify the lack of them by pirating.
To think that Nintendo would bat an eye to Emulation being accessible is crazy. Obviously, it is harder to eliminate all emulation than to control the accessibility of emulation.

Foilz

Banned
wow, waste of a post.

buy an anbernic or retroid device and emulate your hearts out. Being upset that a billion dollar company doesnt want you to steal their games when they can resell them to you for the12th time is just silly.

Last edited:

KiteGr

Valve just released a PC with console buttons, they did nothing to support piracy (besides releasing a trailer where the Deck runs Yuzu). What kind of case does does Nintendo has.

reksveks

Take with a pinch of salt.

NCOclr7.jpg

Actually probably don't take it with a pinch of salt, delroth seems very trustworthy on this one.

Why did valve reach out?

Last edited:

Portugeezer

I watched the MVG video on this, and it seems like Nintendo has some legal ground to stand on in regards to Dolphin.

Also, I've seen people argue that Nintendo is no longer selling Gamecube games so they shouldn't care. What if they have plans for Switch 2 offering gamecube games? They also port gamecube game every now and then.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
MVG has done a video on this and said that some copyrighted Nintendo Wii files/code (I’m no expert) has been found within Dolphin which he said is a massive no no.

Top comment:

Howie6 hours ago
If they're distributing the decryption keys, that's such a silly mistake to make. So many other emulators make you supply the BIOS for this reason specifically.

1.4K likes

Modern Vintage Gamer

Last edited:

StereoVsn

I made sure to grab a few versions of dailies for every emulator I use just in case, lol.

But yeah, I think putting RetroArch and Dolphin on Steam was perhaps a bit too bold. On the other hand all kinds of emulators have been on Play Store since the start.

Personally though even for retro consoles I still have connected like Dreamcast/PS2/PS3, I have been just emulating lately. It's too convenient and I can up the res. Native even with Retrotink 5 doesn't quite come close since I don't have a CRT.

supernova8

Banned
wow, waste of a post.

buy an anbernic or retroid device and emulate your hearts out. Being upset that a billion dollar company doesnt want you to steal their games when they can resell them to you for the12th time is just silly.
I got an RG350 but I hate how clicky the buttons are. Can tell it's a cheap-ass device. Maybe I should've gone with a Retroid.

emulators are on computers so we should BAN COMPUTERS. CONSOLES ONLY. all pc gamers are pirating scum.
I got an RG350 but I hate how clicky the buttons are. Can tell it's a cheap-ass device. Maybe I should've gone with a Retroid.
steam deck is worth it for emulation. I played through the whole of armored core 1 and ff10 on it and had a great time. being able to rebind keys or bind things like savestate and fast forward to the paddles helped immensely in certain cases.

I lied, I didnt play through the whole of ff10. I got to exactly where I stopped playing 20 years ago and stopped again (almost the very end), it must be a curse.

How retarded one can be?

Emulation and piracy are no the same and will never be.

Just because a emulator runs code it doesn't make it piracy... The problem with dolphin was more with the decryption keys which most emulators doesn't use.

I don't even feel pity for those man-child retards that insist in protect multi billion dollar companies.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
Nintendo sent out a survey the other day asking if you take long breaks from switch and what other platforms you use.

PC/Steam deck was one of those options.

I'm guessing switch useage has been on the decline.

JCK75

You can understand why they are going so hard. It's clear that the leak of tears of the kingdom affected it's sales numbers (/sarcasm)

• LOL
Reactions: TLZ

TLZ

Banned
Nintendo should stop being so petty. No matter how many people pirate their stuff, they'll never amount to any meaningful percentage. What are they, like, less than 1%? Consider them as free marketing. Like bootlegs of the days of old.

lefty1117

Gold Member
Emulators show that there's an appetite for a secondary market on PC for their games ... no reason why they couldn't release Wind Waker and some of the other older titles on PC. Sony is making some cash off of it, why not Ninty?

Impotaku

Nintendo should stop being so petty. No matter how many people pirate their stuff, they'll never amount to any meaningful percentage. What are they, like, less than 1%? Consider them as free marketing. Like bootlegs of the days of old.

The problem is when it's normalised then people start doing it more & more because theres no repurcussions, then the mainstream find out due to everyone getting the word out like various tubers about how easy it is then even more decide to skip buying games & just steal them instead. The only reason is it's a small percentage is because for the average gamer it's not something commonly known. When it's super easy to emulate & find the roms that's all it takes for some people to stop buying games & just stealing them online instead.

Not all old games are dead either as now more than any other time there's a lot of old gen games that would have been classed as abandones are now getting new releases on switch & playstation. Gimmick a pretty rare & valuble famicom game is about to get a new lease of life on modern hardware. It's happned quite a few times for shmups as well.

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I think it is really an image/morale thing. When there are a shit ton of posts about how you can emulate ToTK better than it runs on switch it is really bad PR across the board. Even if the impact is negligible in real life, the fact that it is possible and relatively highly visible is either going to trigger someone or look like an opportunity for some asshole in legal to try to score some points.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
MVG has done a video on this and said that some copyrighted Nintendo Wii files/code (I’m no expert) has been found within Dolphin which he said is a massive no no.

Top comment:

Howie6 hours ago
If they're distributing the decryption keys, that's such a silly mistake to make. So many other emulators make you supply the BIOS for this reason specifically.

1.4K likes

Modern Vintage Gamer

They can change that, right?

TLZ

Banned
The problem is when it's normalised then people start doing it more & more because theres no repurcussions, then the mainstream find out due to everyone getting the word out like various tubers about how easy it is then even more decide to skip buying games & just steal them instead. The only reason is it's a small percentage is because for the average gamer it's not something commonly known. When it's super easy to emulate & find the roms that's all it takes for some people to stop buying games & just stealing them online instead.
But this has been literally happening since the 80s. What you're saying could've happened a looong time ago, but never did.

And you said the answer yourself, it's not commonly known. And even if it was, a lot don't bother.

Not all old games are dead either as now more than any other time there's a lot of old gen games that would have been classed as abandones are now getting new releases on switch & playstation. Gimmick a pretty rare & valuble famicom game is about to get a new lease of life on modern hardware. It's happned quite a few times for shmups as well.
While that's nice, they're really a handful. 100s if not 1000s will never get that treatment, and sold used for a lot of money that's never going to the Devs.

Top Bottom