• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming from your cable service. A world without consoles?

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-09-25/xbox-challenged-as-cable-plots-to-make-consoles-obsolete.html

I only saw one post about this in my search. Seems like a pretty big deal. I'd be all for it if I trusted cable companies to price it fairly and provide a competent service. I have no faith that will actually happen though....

Xbox Challenged as Cable Plots to Make Consoles Obsolete
By Ari Levy - Sep 25, 2012

AT&T Inc. (T), Verizon Communications Inc. (VZ) and Time Warner Cable Inc. (TWC) are gearing up for a push to deliver video games directly to televisions, said people with knowledge of the matter, a strategy shift that poses a threat to traditional consoles such as the PlayStation, Wii and Xbox.

Trials of cloud-gaming services are likely to start later this year so carriers can test and tweak the technology before wider deployments that may begin as early as 2013, said the people, who asked not to be named because the discussions are private. Other carriers are aiming for 2014, the people said.

If successful, Web-based games could accelerate a shift away from consoles, the industry’s main money maker for the past three decades. Sony Corp. (6758), Microsoft Corp. (MSFT) and Nintendo Co. have helped to build a market worth $24.1 billion in the U.S. in 2011, according to NPD Group Inc. Consumers are already dumping consoles in favor of games on smartphones and tablets, leading to a 39 percent decline in video-game hardware sales last month from a year earlier.

“Everybody has a TV,” said Atul Bagga, a video-games analyst at Lazard Capital Markets in San Francisco. Cable and phone companies are “looking for new ways to monetize their users and gaming can be pretty compelling,” he said.

By adding popular games to their TV, Internet and phone packages, carriers can offer another service to their almost 50 million digital TV subscribers.

Real Time

In addition to AT&T, Verizon and Time Warner Cable, Comcast Corp. (CMCSA) and Cox Communications Inc. are also in talks to offer video-gaming services, the people said. They’re all looking to go beyond social games from Zynga Inc. (ZNGA) and casual games such as “Tetris” and “Solitaire,” with technology that can deliver the most advanced action games from top publishers such as Electronic Arts Inc. (EA)

For technology, the carriers are turning to startups such as Playcast Media Systems, CiiNOW Inc. and Agawi Inc., which provide software to speed delivery of real-time gaming. Executives at each of those companies acknowledged that they’re in talks with U.S. carriers, declining to say which ones.

Alex Dudley, a spokesman for Time Warner Cable, which had 12.3 million subscribers as of mid-2012, and Jennifer Khoury, a spokeswoman for Comcast, which had 22.1 million subscribers, declined to comment.

Jan Rasmussen, a spokeswoman for AT&T, said in a statement the company is “exploring unique ways to offer cloud gaming services to our TV and broadband customers.” AT&T had 4.15 million subscribers for its U-verse TV services as of June.

Console Model

Deidre Hart, a spokeswoman for Verizon, said that while the company has the capability, it doesn’t currently “offer anything regarding HD cloud gaming.” Shana Keith, a spokeswoman for Cox, said the company is exploring a number of cloud-based broadband services, declining to provide specifics.

Verizon had 4.47 million TV subscribers, while Cox had 4.66 million, according to the National Cable & Telecommunications Association.

With cloud gaming, consumers will be able to avoid buying Sony’s PlayStation 3, Microsoft’s Xbox 360 or Nintendo’s Wii, and play using generic controllers connected to their set-top box or TV. Some carriers are looking at software that turns smartphones into controllers, the people said.

Wider cloud-gaming adoption would be a significant shift from the console business model pioneered by Atari Inc. in the ’70s and advanced by Nintendo in the ’80s -- selling machines at a slim profit or loss and making money on royalties from game cartridges or discs.

Jigsaw Puzzle

Manufacturers have built online accounts and data centers for current console subscribers in order to offer games, interactive environments and prepare for networked gaming. Xbox Live, Microsoft’s online service, lets gamers play together, buy games and use other devices.

Carriers still have to get the technology in place. To stream games from remote servers to multiple devices simultaneously, they need to license virtualization technology. And to make the experience comparable to that of a console, they also must incorporate powerful graphics processors into their data centers, replacing chips used in consoles.

Putting all those pieces together proved too difficult for OnLive Inc., a startup backed by units of AT&T and Time Warner Inc., which went through a restructuring last month after failing to attract enough $9.99-a-month subscribers to its cloud-gaming system. Gaikai Inc., a competitor in the market, agreed to be bought earlier this year by Sony for $380 million.

Execution Challenge

Large service providers have an advantage because they have deeper pockets, big data centers and an existing subscriber base. Still, delivering a cloud service with the same quality as game consoles and creating a profitable business will be a challenge, said Mitch Lasky, a partner at venture firm Benchmark Capital in Menlo Park, California, and an early investor in Gaikai.

“It makes perfect sense why they would want to go after this market,” said Lasky, who was previously an executive at Electronic Arts. “Streaming games use a ton of bandwidth and really benefit from good networks. But it’s a gnarly execution problem they’re trying to solve.”

Nvidia Corp., a maker of graphics processors, has been building technology for data-centers and said earlier this year that it’s working on implementing it in a way that game service providers can use. The company is making a big bet on cloud gaming, said Tony Tamasi, a senior vice president.

“It’s a substantial investment of both hardware and software,” said Tamasi, though he declined to name the company’s partners. “We’ve put stuff into our chips specifically to enable this kind of functionality.”

Stream Games

For game publishers, cloud gaming makes sense because they can develop for a single platform rather than for each of the various consoles, which costs more money. Frank Gibeau, president of Electronic Arts Labels, said games via Web-based TV will eventually be a “big opportunity,” without giving a time frame.

While networks in the U.S. are preparing for cloud gaming, services have already emerged in other countries, including Portugal, France, Singapore and South Korea. Playcast, based in Israel, has partnered with carriers in each of those countries to stream games to set-top boxes and televisions.

In July, Playcast announced a deal with South Korea’s CJ Hellovision to make a gaming service available to the cable operator’s 3.51 million subscribers. Last year, Playcast partnered with Singapore Telecommunications Ltd. (ST) for a S$9.99 ($8) a month subscription service that included titles from Activision Blizzard Inc. (ATVI) and Atari.

CiiNOW, based in Mountain View, California, is about to begin its fourth European trial, though Chief Executive Officer Ron Haberman declined to name the carriers. U.S. cable and phone companies need to catch up, he said.

“If there was ever a service that fit network providers, it’s this one,” Haberman said. “2013 is going to be when we see big commercial offerings.”

BD1

Banned
A console-less future is coming. No doubt about that.

How will it be delievered and by who, is the question.

A console-less future is coming. No doubt about that.

How will it be delievered and by who, is the question.

I'd much rather a new company than the cable companies though. Unfortunately, since they're the ones controlling bandwidth usage that may not be possible.

Chairhome

SEGA_CHANNEL_1jpg.JPG

No thanks. Cable companies are allowed legal monopolies some how, and it's horse shit. I don't want to be blocked out from company Y's games cause they're having a legal battle with Cablevision and Cablevision is the only option in town. It's an awful idea.

LordCanti

When OnLive was just a rumor, my position was that the only chance of it working was heavy ISP involvement and servers within a short distance to every major population center. After OnLive's failure, I no longer think that is even enough to get people interested in a monthly service. Consoles aren't so expensive that people are going to ditch them any time soon.

hachi

Banned
Cable is more doomed than Nintendo, Sony, and RIM combined, if you ask me; it's a dated and bloated business model that makes little sense for most consumers going forward. So I don't see this plan as particularly significant. From my experience, the only people under 35 who keep cable now over streaming alternatives are sports fans, and more and more of that content is available online over time.

Durante

I always thought that games as a service is the most terrible of futures. Now I realize that I was wrong -- games as a service delivered by cable companies is.

(Note that I'm not against streaming in general, as long as I can stream games I bought from my own hardware to my own devices)

antitrop

I always thought that games as a service is the most terrible of futures. Now I realize that I was wrong -- games as a service delivered by cable companies is.

(Note that I'm not against streaming in general, as long as I can stream games I bought from my own hardware to my own devices)
I can't imagine this taking off.

Laughably terrible.

Cable is overpriced as it is, with a nasty habit of price creep, being locked into contracts, etc.

imagine:

1.) paying 100 bucks a month for cable/internet/game service, and having the price spike to $120, "just because." sure, you could take your business elsewhere- and lose access to all the games you bought.

2.) you or your parents got a great job offer in the next state, or you're going off to college. time to move! whoops, different cable company, there go all those games you bought, or had save files on.

3.) DirecTV/Fios has an awesome offer that's half the price of what your cable company is offering for two years. you'd be stupid not to jump on it- except there's no game service, or the games you want aren't there. So keep your games and pay double for service, or go for the cheaper service and lose all your games.

and this is assuming the cable company doesn't oversell their service (as they are with their internet packages) and your games aren't completely unplayable during peak times, hit usage caps, disappear from the service with no warning (as netflix movies and shows are prone to do during licensing disputes)

anyone who thinks this is an improvement is insane.

McHuj

I actually think this is one of the routes MS will try to go with the next xbox. Subscribe to everything: TV, Music, Games, MS Office, core OS, etc. I really hate this future.

injurai

Banned
Cable is more doomed than Nintendo, Sony, and RIM combined, if you ask me; it's a dated and bloated business model that makes little sense for most consumers going forward. So I don't see this plan as particularly significant. From my experience, the only people under 35 who keep cable now over streaming alternatives are sports fans, and more and more of that content is available online over time.

Yup, cable and prepaid advertising is going the way side. It will all be subscription based, and selective content delivery in the future.

Netflix, iTunes, Steam, Hulu, GoG, Youtube, Google Play will just become more solidified as the major digital content distributers. We will see different hardware that essentially tries to be catch all media devices to bring these services to you.

One day phones and computers will eventually merge and you will see stuff like Nexus Q, Apple TV, SteamBox(hopefully), and stuff like that become the major source of content.

Also Cable companies will wither away, ISP will be uprooted by attempts from Google to bring fast cheap internet or they will be forced to follow googles pricing lead. The mobile providers will probably continue to shaft people with unfair prices until their is a class action lawsuit by the government against them.

My fiber provider does this already. You have to order a controller from them and afaik it works pretty much like cloud gaming.

I wonder how much these cable companies pay out to keep stuff like HBO GO requiring a cable subscription. I cancelled cable years ago...netflix and hulu works for me.

monome

I won't even connect my WiiU to a TV anyway (mostly because I use a projector and WiiU has no ptical out which will force me to buy a new AV ampli or bother with even longer cables/extenders).

So bring it.

I dream of a day where I have a connected projector. Possibly with a power cable that doubles as ethernet.

I can't imagine how stupid expensive it is.

But it's ok, once you move to a new house that doesn't have the same service company, you'll lose your games!

No thanks.

And

Fuck off. =]

EDIT: Not telling OP to f off... just wanted to clarify...

There is still a console! Its just elsewhere! Its more expensive overall.

Its so backwards /sigh
Which is why it will never work.

Yup, cable and prepaid advertising is going the way side. It will all be subscription based, and selective content delivery in the future.

Netflix, iTunes, Steam, Hulu, GoG, Youtube, Google Play will just become more solidified as the major digital content distributers. We will see different hardware that essentially tries to be catch all media devices to bring these services to you.

One day phones and computers will eventually merge and you will see stuff like Nexus Q, Apple TV, SteamBox(hopefully), and stuff like that become the major source of content.

Also Cable companies will wither away, ISP will be uprooted by attempts from Google to bring fast cheap internet or they will be forced to follow googles pricing lead. The mobile providers will probably continue to shaft people with unfair prices until their is a class action lawsuit by the government against them.

This is all well and good, until you remember cable companies control internet access... They can effectively hinder people from relying on internet video through their internet pricing which protects their cable business.

Consoles are going to die, soon. Their death is on the horizon, as soon as cable companies and ISP get in on the game streaming business, the need for a separate console will go away.

GodofWine

If they can deliver console quality FPS's with NO additional latency, this will work...if they can't, they will not displace consoles. I know there is more to life than fps.s, but this is the hurdle.

I second this.

The proof that cables companies are aware of their eventual doom is how quickly they're trying to get their hands into anything and everything internet and entertainment related. They want to bridge that transition while maintaining their unfair quasi-monopolistic practices.

I don't know how it works where you guys live, but in Houston TX, whoever physically installed the wiring in the building 'owns' the lines and won't allow any other provider to use them. Forcing the customer to pay a competing TV company to rewire the building (not possible for apartment dwellers) just to be able to get said competitors service there. Phone lines, however, are free game to any company that delivers service through them. So why can't the same rules apply to coax?

Zeppelin

If they can deliver console quality FPS's with NO additional latency, this will work...if they can't, they will not displace consoles. I know there is more to life than fps.s, but this is the hurdle.

No additional latency is impossible. You'll always have a propagation delay of the time it takes light to travel from their servers to your screen (in reality there will be even more delays of course). Personally, I'd never subscribe to any form of cloud gaming service.

stuminus3

Consoles are going to die, soon. Their death is on the horizon, as soon as cable companies and ISP get in on the game streaming business, the need for a separate console will go away.
Are you kidding me, my cable company can barely get a decent quality HD feed to me.

Pranay

Console to die ? Yeah right.

Its cool to have personal wishes.

No additional latency is impossible. You'll always have a propagation delay of the time it takes light to travel from their servers to your screen (in reality there will be even more delays of course). Personally, I'd never subscribe to any form of cloud gaming service.

They can make it work by the ISPs hosting the machines in their own data centres, and if TV manufacturers start reducing lag on their sets.

injurai

Banned
This is all well and good, until you remember cable companies control internet access... They can effectively hinder people from relying on internet video through their internet pricing which protects their cable business.

It's not sustainable. To pay for these services which are greatly overpriced just to pay for a whole bunch of other services on top of that.

Right now families pay for Internet, Netflix, and Xbox live just to get netflix in their living room. That is 3 pay walls, and if the cost for these services and the cost of living continue to go up while salaries don't. We will see the whole industry struggle. Really I hope googles plan to bring cheap and fast internet takes off in the next decade. In this last decade we got a whole bunch of cool digital services. Going forward we need to develop a sustainable infrastructure to hold all these services. It does't help that ever government outside of the Nordic region wants to lock everything down...

GorillaJu

Any complaints about Microsoft and Sony will seem illegitimate and petty compared to the massive ass-raping we'll take from the cable companies. Seriously, those fuckers are the worst. Even if consoles eventually slip into obscurity, I'll still be buying them. I avoid paying for the services of Verizon, TW, et al. like the plague.

Hell no, after years of suffering with my Cable provider I have finally cancelled my service with them, I dont want to ever again be in a contract or any kind of business with these cable companies, they are the devil.

Im happy with Steam right now and I keep dreaming of a day when Ninty, Sony and Microsoft implement a similar sale strategy to Steam, that is the day when I will start spending big on games again.

Top Bottom