• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaming peaked during 6th gen, change my mind

100% Agree, 6th gen will always be my favourite.

I liked every console and their libraries.

DC with online play and games like Soul Calibur, Shenmue 1 and 2, SoA, Sonic Adventure, PSO, Grandia 2 so many more.

PS2 with sooooo many fucking games lol don't wanna list them all but MGS2/3 FF10, 11, 12 and Tekken Tag were my standouts.

Xbox changed the console scene with Xbox live and it's FPS games online which were some of the best times I had playing games... Halo 2, Ghost Recon, Rainbow Six 3, Wolfenstein and Splinter Cell were so much fun, Loved the quick save button on the pad too.

I suppose nostalgia affects our memories enormously and as we get older we also look back at these times when we were younger and life was so much simpler and no worries for many of us... It probably does affect my decisions to mention a favourite era but man 6th gen was special.
Totally get your last line. I do question at times that was it because I was younger? Am I being biased somehow?

Then I look up at games of that era on YouTube and yeah it was the best.

NikuNashi

It was the end of an era. The era of going to a store, buying a game, bringing it home and playing it. The next gen ushered in all of the awful online practices. For me the practice of game updates and system updates is the worst. Offline gaming was pure and uninterrupted. I miss it.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I would agree, but then when I pull up a list of games released in 2007 I gotta go with 7th gen. 6th gen is a close second.

Last edited:

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
6th gen = PS2 + Xbox + GameCube

There are some solid arguments for this.

It was the generation that hit a sweet spot where games were yet to enter the always-online ecosystems, so the focus was still on single player experiences that had to move copies and publishers/developers couldn't rely on monetization schemes for extra revenue. The game had to stand on its own merits and you had to stand out of the crowd to attract the biggest audience. It was also a generation where technology was just about good enough to provide some true classics that could tell memorable stories and provide the player with truly epic and timeless gaming experiences.

Seventh generation was when things took a bad turn. Always-online functionality opened up opportunities for publishers to start monetizing the games, release cheap DLCs, online passes, and other things like that. It also allowed them to start releasing games before they could be truly finished because after all, with online support you could just patch them later. It was also a generation that was dominated by brown shooters and you could see more and more sequels and copycats that played it safe instead of trying to do something new and unique because creativity and experimentation kept getting riskier when production budgets kept getting higher.

Things only got worse over time, with the state of the industry today making me feel more and more cynical about the hobby with each passing year. Everything is monetized, everything is online, barely any game is released without sparking some retarded controversy or outrage, either due to some bullshit political reasons, or because it's buggy and unfinished, or just plain shitty. Every once in a blue moon we will get a game that's really great, while everything else gets inevitably dragged down by some stupid issues or publisher's greed, or it's just plain bad. You actually have to actively avoid the gaming press or become complacent with practices that would used to be unacceptable, otherwise you'll get bogged down in all the negativity and cynicism that surrounds the hobby.

There are also so many games that came out during that era that are still among the greatest games of all time. God of War, Silent Hill 2, Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3, Halo, Resident Evil 4, Metroid Prime, Final Fantasy 10, GTA Vice City and San Andreas, Rogue Squadron 2, Splinter Cell, Prince of Persia Sands of Time, Ratchet and Clank, Jak & Daxter, Devil May Cry, Fable, KOTOR, Shadow of The Colossus... I mean, there are so many it's hard to list all of them.
I agree for the most part just remove FF X from the list that was the beginning of the end for FF as something I wanted to play.

Last edited:

Shenmuefan2000

Neo Member
The beauty of the 6th also is how it ended. They released so many good shit during that time in 07 as a send off. Manhunt 2, P3 FES, GOW2, Rouge Galaxy, Guilty Gear XX Accent Core, dbz budokai tenkachi 3, etc

The SNES had a great send off in 96 with a few classic gems like Mario RPG, DKC 3 etc

It just reminded me of that

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Excuse me op but the Dreamcast is part of the 6th gen of consoles and it also contributed to that Amazing gen.....
It most certainly did and somehow most of the gems from DC have never been ported out or remastered. I still want a remaster of Powerstone 1 & 2.

gaming peaked during the 16 bit era. If Nintendo and Sega would release real SNES and Genesis consoles today for $99 with real new support and new cart tech they would 100% dominate the market again. Todays AAA games are all based on "can't loose" gameplay and pretty cutscenes.
Yep SNES and Amiga were my golden age of gaming personally

Storage space and the internet ruined everything.
In 6th gen, games were designed to stream off the optical disc drive and faced limitations due for that

As the PS4 blu-ray drive is only 3x times faster than PS3 one, all games ended having mandatory HDD installation

If you know how streaming tech and storage works for games, that how we got since the beginning of 8th gen, installation of games that takes 50GBs

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I've been playing since Atari 2600 and I think it's still reaching new heights. You seem unduly bound to marketing.

Here's my top 10 games from the 6th gen

1. Shenmue 1
2. Shadow Of The Colossus
3. GTA San Andreas
4. Prince Of Persia Sands Of The Time
5. Persona 4 (the goat JRPG ever) 😍
6. GOW 2
7. RE Remake
8. Legend Of Zelda: Wind Waker
9. Sonic Adventure 1
10. GTA Vice City
As I stated earlier, I do not think it is neccessarily the peak but it definitely left some great impressions. If I had to choose my ten favorite games of the time:

Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition (PS2)
Do you like seeing stylish weapon combos in anime or action games? Well then, this is the game for you. Playing as the diametrically opposed half-demon twins, Dante and Vergil, you take on the ranks of demonic invaders of Earth in this occult action thriller. To help you on your journey are a collection of stylish trophy weapons from the greater demons you slay and a set of unlockable skills to expand your acrobatic abilities and weapon skills. Did I mention you can turn into a demon?

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (Xbox)
Released as part of the Grand Theft Auto Double Pack for the original Xbox it featured various improvements over the PS2 version while retaining everything that made the original release great. A timeless comic book look, the greatest licensed videogame soundtrack to ever be created, a captivating plot, a fictionalized version of 80's Miami, a great collection of vehicles (now with boats, helicopters, and motorcycles), tons of mission variety, cool unlockables, and a star-studded cast lead by Ray Liotta as the game's protagonist, Tommy Vercetti. What is not to love? (Probably the lack of swimming and climbing but the map isn't built for it anyway.)

Gun (Xbox)
You ever heard of Rockstar's Red Dead Redemption? Well, this is the game by Activision that inspired it. Never a dull moment in this wild west thriller. Riding through a large, lively, and active world on your trusty stallion while partaking in bounty hunting, law enforcement, and other activities with your melee and gunslinging skills has never been quite as exciting. Also, it boasts quite the challenge in hunting down the rarest game. Best of all, the pacing of the plot just sucks you right in and never lets go.

Ninja Gaiden Black (Xbox)
Do you like ninjas? Well I don't and I still loved this game. The way it seemlessly blends platforming, action adventure, and weapon combat is a sight to behold. On top of that is a revenge plot with enough mystery to keep the player guessing until the end. As new master ninja Ryu Hayabusa you fight a variety of both human and demonic opponents in a remote pseudo-Japanese village and a fictional European city filled with macabre secrets. At your disposal are a selection of collectible ability augmenting accessories, upgradeable martial arts weapons, and ninja magic. Adding to the amazing offerings of the base game are a selection of challenges and higher dificulties that change the game's item placement and enemies.

Psychonauts (Xbox)
An unusual platformer and rpg hybrid about a psychic boy named Razputin who infiltrates a camp for similarly gifted children. In this camp the children are taught to use their powers and navigate the physical manifestations of a person's mind by seasoned professional psychics. Only problem is that the camp's residents soon disappear with the exception of the burned out super psychic working as the janitor. So naturally it is up to Raz to get everyone back and solve the mystery of their disappearance. This journey takes him through some of the most imaginative and unusual obstacles in any platformer with themes ranging from a surreal spy suburb to a meat circus.

Resident Evil 4 (GameCube)
In a departure from the franchise, you infiltrate a cult run village in Spain to save the daughter of the President of the United States as super spy Leon S. Kennedy. Standing in your way are the demon parasite infested forces of a twisted mastermind. Some of them are intelligent enough to work together while others are mutated beyond recognition into gaint monstrosities unlike any other. Fortunately, you have modern weaponry at your disposal and a local merchant more than happy to give more of them to you in exchange for the local trinkets and Pesos. The journey through the village, castle, and fortified island is a treacherous one but its B-horror charm is sure to win you over and have you coming back for more. (It also helps that the gameplay is head and shoulders above other third person shooters of the time.)

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne (PS2)
In this turn-based JRPG a set of high school students are invited to a hospital in a strange request from their homeroom teacher. They arrive to find it abandoned but eventually manage to find her. However, soon afterward, in a flash of light their world ceases to exist and they become separated. In this new world, demons run amok while humans are extinct. A demon takes pity on one of the youths struggling to survive and provides him with a symbiote that transforms his body into a demi-human. With the recruitment of a friendly Pixie demon this demi-human manages to find a way out of the ruins of that hospital and into this new misshaped world. With everything familiar gone, he undergoes a quest to once more find his teacher and make sense of things. What ensues is an occult odyssey unlike any other.

Silent Hill 4: The Room (Xbox)
In this horror entry you play as a poor sod locked in his apartment by supernatural forces and unable to communicate with the outside. Your only hope is a giant hole inside the wall of your bathroom. However, where it leads is beyond comprehension. You meet characters in a similar predicament in places like the subway, the remote orphanage in the forest, a peculiarly designed prison, an urban apartment complex, and a hospital. However, they seem incapable of seeing, let alone using these holes to travel back to your apartment. Your only hope is to persevere against the supernatural entities in these locations and to occasionally seek refuge in your apartment as you try to solve its mystery.

True Crime: New York City (PS2)
This detective thriller is massive in its scope. It has Driver quality driving, Max Payne quality shooting, exceptional melee weapon fighting, and a dozen different martial arts forms to utilize. All on top of a case oriented detective story with a cinematic presentation and enough set pieces to give most blockbusters a run for their money. There is a plethora of street crimes to intervent in which range from the mundane to human trafficking. As an undercover cop you can even infiltrate a street racing syndicate and fight club. You can enter almost any building, arrest anyone, and even control the state of various districts of the city. Through neglect, extortion, pawning evidence, and drug planting you can make Wall Street look like the Bowery or instead turn them into what advertisements of New York look like through skilled police work. It also has the coolest extra game mission in all open world games: Red Man Gone Wild!

Virtua Fighter 4 (PS2)
What is the most balanced fighting game in existence? Which fighting game had the most advanced particle physics at the time? Which fighting game introduced player ghosts and trainable AI opponents to the genre? Which fighting game was the first to have match replays? Which fighting game introduced customization items to the genre? Which fighting game introduced tutorials and trials to the genre? The answer to all questions is Virtua Fighter 4. While the PS2 port was a major visual downgrade from the arcade release, the gameplay and physics caried over beautifully. While lacking in presentation and extras this game is the magnum opus of fighting games on the PS2, which is saying quite a lot since the PS2 had hundreds of them.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

I wouldn't say peaked... but the "wild west" nature of gaming died after that gen things became far more stagnant in terms of ambition and risk taken.

Even something today like starfield, is hugely "ambitious" but it's also still just more of what they pioneered with oblivion (morrowind to a degree). So while the game is "bigger" it's also in some ways the exact same.

That's just one example, ffxvi is fantastic. But it is still the linear ff started by ffx (and x is my favorite ff) the franchise at least has tried to mix it up over the years with combat and world traversal, but overall it's nothing new, it's nothing ambitious.

People can hate all they want but it's one thing we have to give Kojima credit for, he at least tries, whether he succeeds that's personal opinion, but death stranding was like nothing i had played before. I fucking loved it, but because it's ambitious and risky, it's a very diversive game

I guess BG3 is also more than your average game, I do feel alot of their ground work was sowed with D:OS series however.

So the TLDR for me is that gaming has lost its ambition, and ambition isn't bigger = better but ambition as in delivering something truly unique and interesting...

Last edited:
To me it seems the least exploitative era, not much reliance on guides and external devices as before, good saving options overall (though still not at its best) and not much in shitty monetization yet. Development cost/time to quality ratio was at its peak as well.

BlackTron

6th Gen gave us second gen cleaner 3D gaming but before the DLC/mtx/you don't own the game meltdown. Very first digital game ever purchased 7th gen was Turtles in Time on 360 and it disappeared from my account.

Most of my old disc based games are from 6 gen for a reason. The games are good and there is none of that cynical big business crap sucking the fun out of gaming that just makes me want to do something else like read a book.

I know people are crazy about the shift to HD but meh. 360 specialized in shooters which I was playing on PC and didn't want on controller. P33 was not as good as PS2. Nintendo had Wii which was also...meh. Yes I had all 3. But mostly kept playing PC games and firing up my GC/Wii to play Smash and Rogue Squadron. 7th gen sucked compared to 6 or even now IMO

Inanilmaz

I love the 6th & 7th gen equally. The ps360wii era was amazing in my opinion :
Grand Theft Auto 4 & 5
Max Payne
Red Dead Redemption
God of War
Uncharted
Gears of War
Left 4 Dead
Portal
Katamari Forever
Afro Samurai
Dead Rising
Yakuza 3/4/5
Little Big Planet
Resident Evil 5
Mafia 2
Sleeping Dogs
Bayonetta
Killer is Dead
Mini Ninja's
Okami
Muramasa
Another Code
One Piece: Pirate Warriors
Ratchet & Clank
The Darkness
Call of Juarez
Call of Duty: MW2
Battlefield: Bad Company
Killzone
Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm
Fight Night
EDF
Plants vs Zombies
Fat Princess
Hotline Miami
Burnout Paradise
Ridge Racer 7

Humdinger

I've been thinking about revisiting old Xbox and Xbox 360 games, because I'm dissatisfied with current gaming. I had most of my fun with gaming during that era. At first, I thought my disenchantment with modern gaming was because I was getting older. But now I don't think so. Now I think it's mostly because gaming has changed. Back then, games were simply more fun. I currently own only a PS5, but I've been thinking about buying an old Xbox or 360 and playing some of the old games I loved 15 years ago -- Burnout 3, Buffy, Half Life 2, KOTOR, Medal of Honor, etc. I was a fan of Sony during the PS4 era, but I've grown disenchanted with their heavily cinematic approach. As is often said, if I wanted to watch a movie, I'd watch a movie... not to mention, most of these videogame movies are pretty bad. I find myself hankering for the old days.

Cyberpunkd

I agree. If I had to put a single event it’s Gears of War as a beginning of simplified, corridor-based, objective marker games to make sure that the gamer never gets lost or confused, and will always be shown something.
Budgets went up, gameplay ideas went down.

Last edited:

Hohenheim

As a PC focused gamer, I dont really care about or use the term "generation", but in my opinion, if I count every ten years from 1990 to present day, I think its been about the same amount of great games every ten years.
My current favourite game Bloodborne was released in 2015, but the last few years, including this one have been amazing.
Every year amazing games is released, and that's not gonna change.

2000-2006/7 had some absolute fantastic games and I love the Gamecube, but gaming absolutely did not "peak" back then.

Last edited:

Rudius

Here's my top 10 games from the 6th gen

1. Shenmue 1
2. Shadow Of The Colossus
3. GTA San Andreas
4. Prince Of Persia Sands Of The Time
5. Persona 4 (the goat JRPG ever) 😍
6. GOW 2
7. RE Remake
8. Legend Of Zelda: Wind Waker
9. Sonic Adventure 1
10. GTA Vice City
Got damn, I like all the games mentioned that I played. Will check out the rest: Persona 4 and Sonic Adventure.

Cyberpunkd

New Vegas is a lot better game IMO.
Donald Trump GIF by Election 2016

The best generation by far is the 7th Gen 360/PS3/ Wii generation. Halo 3, ODST & Reach, Gears of War 1,2,3 , Metal Gear Solid 4, Batman Arkham Asylum & Arkham City, God of War 3, Mario Galaxy, Wii Sports, FF13 & Lightning Returns, Fallout 3 & New Vegas, Bioshock 1,2,3 and Infinite, Mass Effect 1,2,3 , Zelda Twilight Princess, Fable 3, Gta 4 & 5, Resistance 1,2 &3, Killzone 2, Dragon Age Origins, 2, Inquisition, Splinter Cell Double Agent, Conviction & Blacklist, Fight Night Round 3 & Champion, Warhawk, Socom Confrontation, Dance Central. And thats just off the top of my head.

Last edited:

SenkiDala

It was the generation that hit a sweet spot where games were yet to enter the always-online ecosystems, so the focus was still on single player experiences that had to move copies and publishers/developers couldn't rely on monetization schemes for extra revenue. The game had to stand on its own merits and you had to stand out of the crowd to attract the biggest audience. It was also a generation where technology was just about good enough to provide some true classics that could tell memorable stories and provide the player with truly epic and timeless gaming experiences.

Seventh generation was when things took a bad turn. Always-online functionality opened up opportunities for publishers to start monetizing the games, release cheap DLCs, online passes, and other things like that. It also allowed them to start releasing games before they could be truly finished because after all, with online support you could just patch them later. It was also a generation that was dominated by brown shooters and you could see more and more sequels and copycats that played it safe instead of trying to do something new and unique because creativity and experimentation kept getting riskier when production budgets kept getting higher.

Things only got worse over time, with the state of the industry today making me feel more and more cynical about the hobby with each passing year. Everything is monetized, everything is online, barely any game is released without sparking some retarded controversy or outrage, either due to some bullshit political reasons, or because it's buggy and unfinished, or just plain shitty. Every once in a blue moon we will get a game that's really great, while everything else gets inevitably dragged down by some stupid issues or publisher's greed, or it's just plain bad. You actually have to actively avoid the gaming press or become complacent with practices that would used to be unacceptable, otherwise you'll get bogged down in all the negativity and cynicism that surrounds the hobby.

There are also so many games that came out during that era that are still among the greatest games of all time. God of War, Silent Hill 2, Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3, Halo, Resident Evil 4, Metroid Prime, Final Fantasy 10, GTA Vice City and San Andreas, Rogue Squadron 2, Splinter Cell, Prince of Persia Sands of Time, Ratchet and Clank, Jak & Daxter, Devil May Cry, Fable, KOTOR, Shadow of The Colossus... I mean, there are so many it's hard to list all of them.
I can't change your mind all of this are just facts. Nothing new has been invented since then, all games are trying to reach this peak again but only by improving graphics.

Akuji

Easy way to figure out what someones age is. Ask him about his favorite gen lol. Snes Was 2d games really shining. Ps2 was 3d games getting good.

But gaming was never bad ... Look at the games from the last 10 years.

Gta 5
Tlou
Tomb raider
Uncharted 3
Gow acension
Infamous second son
Hollow knight
Bloodborne
Wischer 3
Hades
Rogue legacy
Resogun
Returnal
God of war 18
Botw
Totk
Bulders gate 3
Dark souls 3
Elden ring
Sekiro
Armored core 6
Dead calls
Ori 1 + 2
Gears of War 4 + 5
Luigis mansion
Mario kart
Pubg
Fortnite
Tekken 7
Street fighter 6
Northgarde
Order 1886
Spiderman
Ghost of tsushima
Binding of issac

Just from the top of my head. Could list atleast 30 games more but my point is already made

For me it was 6th gen until almost the end of the 360/PS3 gen that had the most impact on me. Although I absolutely loved the PS1 gen too as that’s where I grew up playing mostly.

Now it just feels like a business that wants to bleed players dry.

Humdinger

But gaming was never bad ... Look at the games from the last 10 years.
[...]

I don't think anyone is saying that "gaming is bad" now. They are saying that it peaked (in their opinion) during an earlier generation.

And since we are talking about generations, I think it's a bit unfair to take a 10+ year span and lump games from three different generations all together into a single list. Uncharted 3 came out 12 years ago on the PS3. GTA 5 released a decade ago on the PS3. The Last of Us released 10 years ago on PS3. Binding of Isaac released 12 years ago. What if you only included games from this generation instead? What would the list look like then? Granted, we're only a few years into this gen, so the comparison is unfair in that regard, but the thread is about generations here, so we have to compare apples to apples.

No doubt, some good games have come out this gen. That isn't the question, though. The question is when gaming "peaked." Of course, this will be an individual opinion, based on individual preference. I'm with the OP on this, personally. Modern gaming, especially AAA gaming, just isn't as fun as it used to be. And it's not because I'm older, and it's not because I have nostalgia glasses. It's because the gaming industry has changed.

Easy way to figure out what someones age is. Ask him about his favorite gen lol.

That wouldn't work for me. I'm 62. By that logic, my favorite gen should be Gen 1. Much as I enjoyed an occasional game of Pong, I don't think that was the peak of gaming. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Last edited:

Sushi_Combo

Gen 7 for me.
Introduction to downloadable titles and a lot of them being super experimental. A lot of things felt "Fresh" for me.

Reactions: WoJ

Ashler

Solid arguments but lack two important things that (to me) represent the actual peak of gaming:

- Rise of indie games: Fez, Inside, Braid, Hollow knight, Death's door, Dead Cells, The Witness... etc.
- SoulsBorne games.

Last edited:

daninthemix

I kindof skipped Gen 6 so I was completely blown away going from Gen 5 to Xbox 360 (Oblivion, Kameo, COD2 etc). If I had to pick a 'peak' gen it would be Gen 7. Of course there's been decent stuff since then but more and more after that developers were focused on DLC and live service games, and Indies went from these exciting gems to a tidal wave of mostly crap.

I would say that most of today's decent games are essentially Gen 7 games at heart. That Gen laid down the rules and groundwork.

PS2 was the best console. So yes I agree. It is where gaming peaked.

SHA

On what?

Telling stories,
-find another medium, it doesn't matter.

Gameplay,
-try different genres, it's probably not what you used to think,
-be smarter in collecting older games, PC, emulators, steam,
-quit collecting achievements, trophies, it's better this way, don't ask for a reason, it's a way to experience games the way you used to be, cause nobody got used to unlocking trophies, period.
-the world matters, if it's boring, don't play the game, cause it's a big deal.

Last edited:

midnightAI

All generations have been good?

Every generation has some amazing games and also some terrible ones, I just enjoy every generation without comparing it to others.

Top Bottom